• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#2026]School's out forever: Arizona moves "to kill public education" with new universal voucher law

See thread below. I think Josie is trying to figure out what her point was.
No, in America, we don't put a question mark before a question. Her question mark was saying she has no idea why you asked a question she already answered. Also, this account still quoted and replied to itself.

It's okay, I understand English is not everyone's first language.

Last edited:
More so on the low end. Kids who are at the top end will succeed in any environment, public or private. As an example, I have a high achieving grandchild who recently scored over 1500 on their SAT and only attended public school throughout K-12. Clearly, public school didn't fail them.
Completely false. “Smart” kids need to be engaged. They deserve to be pushed and supported to reach their greatest potential just like kids on the opposite end of the spectrum. The average students are who are going to keep our country churning. But if we really want to move ahead as a society we need the brightest to find the cure for cancer, find renewable energy sources, etc. We’re not going to get their pushing the smart kids to the side because “they’ll be fine”.

In my experience that is true for the kids on the higher than average side, but isn't true for the kids on the lowest end. We literally spend millions of dollars targeted at helping those kids who need the most academic help. The problem isn't the schools or teachers or admins or curriculum -- it's the parents. Give me almost no money and a class full of kids who are reading below or way below grade level who have parents who are interested and involved and almost all of those kids will be at grade level, above grade level or close to meeting grade level by the end of the year.

Thinking back over my years as a teacher, I would say 98% of the kids who are the furthest behind have the worst pare
I agree 100%. It's the same reason why you could fund a West Philly public school to the degree of a country club and you'd still get the same results. It's the parents.
This. 100% this. This cannot be stressed enough.

That's why I always take such issue with people criticizing public education. They do it because of factors which have nothing to do with teachers or the schools themselves. Are there bad schools and bad teachers? Sure. There's no profession where there's no people who are bad at their jobs. But, more often than not, the biggest issue is with society, in particular parents. But no one EVER wants to address that.
Not true. We do want to address it. Thus why I'm willing to give vouchers a fair consideration. let parents that value education decide where they want to send their children. If you truly believe what you said above then you shouldn't have a problem with segregating students based on their motivation and how much they and their parents value education. If you don't agree then you're saying you are willing to sacrifice the education of those that want to learn and succeed for those that do not.

It is great for any student that tries... that is the variable that most are missing about education today.
No there are absolutely limits. We were told there's only so much the district will do for my daughter. Gifted students aren't their biggest concern. Yet they wouldn't let her skip a grade either.

1. State sponsored religious schools
Baloney. If that were the cae, the vouchers would fund more then just the taxes parents pay to send their kids to school.
2. Vouchers often favor those who are middle and upper class.
100% baloney. The same amount goes to each parent per student.
3. People who live in rural areas have fewer choices.
People who live in rural areas have fewer choices now. However from what I have seen, at least in my area is that the public schools in rural areas actually have better schools then in the big cities as the money is spent more wisely.
4. Children with disabilities already face educational choice discrimination. Yes, I know. The law guarantees a free and appropriate equal education but frequently the law is ignored.
Baloney.
5. Children whose native language is not English will have fewer school choices.
Children whose native language is not English, should be learning English all along, otherwise what's the point of an education in the uS?
6. Pure school choice based on vouchers will cost tax payers more money.
No. It will not. It simply gives the parents control of which school their taxes go to. In the long run it will cost tax payers less as the public schools forced to compete with private schools will learn how to budget wisely and will become less of a financial burden on the taxpayers.

Don't personally know any teachers, eh? I just went through the evaluation process this past year and it was............................. oy. Observations, assessments, evaluations, meetings to discuss, more observations, assessments, evaluations, more meetings to discuss, paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork.

Have you ever been in a class of kids taking a standardized test? Especially if they've already been through it at least one year. Of the 25 kids, 3 are really trying and getting super stressed out about it, 4 are super nerds who get it done correctly in a short period of time and the rest are hurrying through it without much thought because they know it has nothing to do with their grade.
Unfortunately I know many. My one friend group is all teachers. It's embarrassing and uncomfortable how they discuss their profession and their lack of dedication to it. And we live in a very wealthy area. They are making six figures. They make fun of their students, avoid giving students their work if they are being pulled out for vacation and have retirement countdown calendars on their phones. They don't spend one minute at school past their contracted time and have no problem leaving a student struggling if it's after 2:55.

Who told you this?
Who told me this lol? When you have one teacher in a classroom with 25 students, 5 are gifted, 2 are extremely gifeted, 5 have severe learning disabilities, 1 is dyslexic and 12 fall somewhere in-between there is NO WAY every student is getting everything they need to reach their greatest potential.

Here is a large scale study done by Statistics Canada that found that educational outcomes are far more dependent on the socioeconomic status of the parents. On average, the only reason private schools perform better is they have better quality students.

Exactly. They have a higher percentage of students coming from stable household situations. Public school teachers are dealing with students who are bringing their household situations into the classrooms. Private schools deal with it, too, but there's just a lot more of it in a public school situation. Private schools can also expel children if they're disruptive or don't fit it; public schools can't do that so easily.

The issue isn’t the teachers - it’s the kids and their parents. Voucher programs have been studied to death and there is no statistically significant improvement in academic performance. Face it. You can’t polish a turd with fancy private schools.
My daughter goes to a boarding prepatory school. Her largest class size is 12 and that is to foster discussion in English and history. There are 8 students in her math and chem class and 6 in German. On Wednesday nights after dinner she and her class mates went to her chem teacher's house to discuss their approach to the lab the next day. Sunday afternoon's her math teacher offer 45 minute blocks for 1 on 1 help. One night a week her German class ate dinner together in the dining hall and only spoke German throughout the meal. All students have an advisor they meet with once a week, same advisor all four years. If you have a C or below in any class you get put on academic probation and meet with you advisor nightly to prioritize your work and studying. They have mandatory study hall every night from 8-10, doors open and electronic devices are collected. The faculty on duty is available to any help they can provide during study hall. Please explain how this academic environment is not superior to public school.

1656934462387.png

PSST - Hate the break the bad news but vouchers don't mean that parents get to choose private schools. The private schools are the ones that get to choose whether to admit a student or not.

WW

My daughter goes to a boarding prepatory school. Her largest class size is 12 and that is to foster discussion in English and history. There are 8 students in her math and chem class and 6 in German. On Wednesday nights after dinner she and her class mates went to her chem teacher's house to discuss their approach to the lab the next day. Sunday afternoon's her math teacher offer 45 minute blocks for 1 on 1 help. One night a week her German class ate dinner together in the dining hall and only spoke German throughout the meal. All students have an advisor they meet with once a week, same advisor all four years. If you have a C or below in any class you get put on academic probation and meet with you advisor nightly to prioritize your work and studying. They have mandatory study hall every night from 8-10, doors open and electronic devices are collected. The faculty on duty is available to any help they can provide during study hall. Please explain how this academic environment is not superior to public school.

It absolutely is.

Would you mind sharing your total cost of attendance including tuition, fees, and transportation?

WW

It absolutely is.

Would you mind sharing your total cost of attendance including tuition, fees, and transportation?

WW
Not at all. We are not wealthy. Tuition is $66,940 per year. We pay $9,000 after financial assistance. The school is within driving distance, 3ish hours. She gets $250 per semester for incidentals as part of our FA package, getting snacks at the student lounge, ordering dinner, etc. We send her maybe $50-$100 a month on top of that. Books are $850/yr but that is also part of our FA package.
Most people think boarding schools are only for the wealthy. Not true. At my daughter's school 37% of the student body receives financial assistance with the average grant being $53, 780. They will also assist with travel and health insurance if needed.

Not at all. We are not wealthy. Tuition is $66,940 per year. We pay $9,000 after financial assistance. The school is within driving distance, 3ish hours. She gets $250 per semester for incidentals as part of our FA package, getting snacks at the student lounge, ordering dinner, etc. We send her maybe $50-$100 a month on top of that. Books are $850/yr but that is also part of our FA package.
Most people think boarding schools are only for the wealthy. Not true. At my daughter's school 37% of the student body receives financial assistance with the average grant being $53, 780. They will also assist with travel and health insurance if needed.

Seriously thank you. And I'm truly glad you and your family were accepted by the school for attendance.

WW

I had smaller class sizes in my public school. My smallest class was 3 people. And my school wasn't special in any way. My teachers also offered help at lunch and after school. Elite public schools offer many of the same things while keeping kids with their parents and in their community.

Good students will be good students wherever they go. If that works for your daughter great, that is what you do with your money, the government should not be propping it up.

While I disagree with the idea of publicly funded religious schools, this is a consequence of failing public schools because of government mismanagement.

We spend more than almost any other nation on each student and get awful results. Something has to change.

Unfortunately I know many. My one friend group is all teachers. It's embarrassing and uncomfortable how they discuss their profession and their lack of dedication to it. And we live in a very wealthy area. They are making six figures. They make fun of their students, avoid giving students their work if they are being pulled out for vacation and have retirement countdown calendars on their phones. They don't spend one minute at school past their contracted time and have no problem leaving a student struggling if it's after 2:55.

Oh, I'm very aware of bad teachers. I've worked with many.

Completely false. “Smart” kids need to be engaged. They deserve to be pushed and supported to reach their greatest potential just like kids on the opposite end of the spectrum. The average students are who are going to keep our country churning. But if we really want to move ahead as a society we need the brightest to find the cure for cancer, find renewable energy sources, etc. We’re not going to get their pushing the smart kids to the side because “they’ll be fine”.
What do you think is happening in the future of the really smart kids who graduated (from either public or private schools)? Hint, the brightest of our nation's children are getting accepted at our nation's top universities in our nation's best and most challenging programs. Since those schools are turning down over 90% of their stellar applicants because they only have so many spots, that goes to show you that we don't have a shortage of the country's brightest. In other words, there is fierce competition between these high achieving students to get into schools and programs sought after by the best of the best students. These brightest kids are not getting pushed to the side. They are competing like never before, the best of the best are filling those coveted spots and they are then going on to cure diseases, work for SpaceX, etc. You'll never see MIT with a need to seek applicants. Every year they've got many, many exceptional ones than they can accept.

The concept of equity has begun to complicate the ability of the public school system to challenge the top students. These days, some schools and districts are trending away from AP classes, valedictorian status and such, claiming those things create a separation between the best, the middle and the slowest - but, luckily, in many public schools, these programs still exist, and competition is still "allowed". In more rural places where a public school simply can't successfully prepare our brightest for top levels of scholastic success, private schools fill the need or parents understand the need to move for the sake of their talented child.

Wait until the far right christian nutters learn that private schools are not all Christian. Many private schools lean pretty far left.
Yes, very sadly IMO, many private schools and a huge majority of universities lean pretty far to very far left. I think it's unforgivable that conservatives, for decades, allowed education at all levels to be virtually taken over by liberals and thus become heavily laden with indoctrination. It's been slow in coming but conservatives will not take their votes for local school board members lightly again. Heck, a school board election now has nearly the importance of a presidential election, to me.

Yes, very sadly IMO, many private schools and a huge majority of universities lean pretty far to very far left. I think it's unforgivable that conservatives, for decades, allowed education at all levels to be virtually taken over by liberals and thus become heavily laden with indoctrination. It's been slow in coming but conservatives will not take their votes for local school board members lightly again. Heck, a school board election now has nearly the importance of a presidential election, to me.
Two wrongs do not make a right.

Who told me this lol? When you have one teacher in a classroom with 25 students, 5 are gifted, 2 are extremely gifeted, 5 have severe learning disabilities, 1 is dyslexic and 12 fall somewhere in-between there is NO WAY every student is getting everything they need to reach their greatest potential.
I agree. Not a chance. That's why, way back when I was in high school, concepts like AP classes (and slower classes, I'm not sure of the term for them) formed. Especially in a class like math, there can be as much as a 6 year difference in a child's ability to grasp math - and I'm not even including children with learning disabilities. I'm thinking of two normal kids - but one with very high math skills and one who has always struggled in that subject but is an okay student otherwise.

Not true. We do want to address it. Thus why I'm willing to give vouchers a fair consideration.
Vouchers do not address the problem of parents not supporting education.
If you truly believe what you said above then you shouldn't have a problem with segregating students based on their motivation and how much they and their parents value education.
I 100% have an enormous problem with punishing children for factors outside their control. I 100% have an enormous problem with government created class system. I 100% have a problem with schools getting taxpayer money to discriminate against children.
If you don't agree then you're saying you are willing to sacrifice the education of those that want to learn and succeed for those that do not.
The ones who want to learn can learn in public school. There is nothing preventing that.

What do you think is happening in the future of the really smart kids who graduated (from either public or private schools)? Hint, the brightest of our nation's children are getting accepted at our nation's top universities in our nation's best and most challenging programs. Since those schools are turning down over 90% of their stellar applicants because they only have so many spots, that goes to show you that we don't have a shortage of the country's brightest. In other words, there is fierce competition between these high achieving students to get into schools and programs sought after by the best of the best students. These brightest kids are not getting pushed to the side. They are competing like never before, the best of the best are filling those coveted spots and they are then going on to cure diseases, work for SpaceX, etc. You'll never see MIT with a need to seek applicants. Every year they've got many, many exceptional ones than they can accept.

The concept of equity has begun to complicate the ability of the public school system to challenge the top students. These days, some schools and districts are trending away from AP classes, valedictorian status and such, claiming those things create a separation between the best, the middle and the slowest - but, luckily, in many public schools, these programs still exist, and competition is still "allowed". In more rural places where a public school simply can't successfully prepare our brightest for top levels of scholastic success, private schools fill the need or parents understand the need to move for the sake of their talented child.
Our local public school is trending that way. It’s a shame. The reality is the world is extremely competitive and hiding that from students does them a huge disservice.

Back
Top Bottom