• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Vote extended....

Deegan

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
It would appear that the vote was a great success in Iraq today, the vote had to be extended, in order to allow for the extremely large turnout. Sunni's especially turned out in large numbers, they actually ran out of ballots in certain areas, a great sign that they may avoid civil war. I certainly hope we are seeing the first of many votes in Iraq, and that the violence continues to remain low after the elections. I am especially encouraged that our brave troops can begin to come home, they deserve all our praise, and they should be extremely proud, of a job WELL DONE!

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/iraq

Deegan said:
It would appear that the vote was a great success in Iraq today, the vote had to be extended, in order to allow for the extremely large turnout. Sunni's especially turned out in large numbers, they actually ran out of ballots in certain areas, a great sign that they may avoid civil war. I certainly hope we are seeing the first of many votes in Iraq, and that the violence continues to remain low after the elections. I am especially encouraged that our brave troops can begin to come home, they deserve all our praise, and they should be extremely proud, of a job WELL DONE!

The Sunni turnout is the most encouraging part of this. They are beginning to realize that this democracy is going to happen, with or without them. They may as well get on board. This is another great day for the good people of Iraq. The entire Iraq effort - from throwing Saddam out to fighting the insurgency to the writing of a constitution to this election - is a huge success.

KCConservative said:
The Sunni turnout is the most encouraging part of this. They are beginning to realize that this democracy is going to happen, with or without them. They may as well get on board. This is another great day for the good people of Iraq. The entire Iraq effort - from throwing Saddam out to fighting the insurgency to the writing of a constitution to this election - is a huge success.

I didn't think this good news would get much attention, thanks for noticing.;)

KCConservative said:

Indeed.

And who do we have to thank for all of this?

Hint: It ain't Chirac.

The Bush haters won't touch this thread. A successful election in Iraq shoots down all of their lies and rhetoric.

KCConservative said:
The Bush haters won't touch this thread. A successful election in Iraq shoots down all of their lies and rhetoric.

AHA!! But you are ABSO-FREAKIN'-LUTELY WRONG!

I dislike Bush, But im here to say that, being someone who was deployed within a week of notice for the first election last January... I am absofreakinlutely glad that the elections are going well.

I would hate to see the two lifes of men from my company during our "Ground War" deployment be wasted for nothing..........

Not to mention the trillions of debt we are in just to build a new democracy....
So HOORAY FOR IRAQ!!!!!!!!!

Deegan said:

This is a great victory for the Iraqi people and democracy in the middle east and President Bush and a crushing defeat for people in this country who want us to fail in Iraq for partisan political reasons..........

I cannot beileve that y'all are foolish enough to believe that everything is peachy keen in Iraq because of the voter turnout. You must be the folk that believed in the rose petal greetings that were supposed to happen when Iraq was liberated from Saddam. It's going to take years -- if at ALL -- for democracy to take shape in any form in Iraq. After all of these years, Russia is still struggling with it!

So no, I don't believe for one second that the region is reformed/stabilized, nor will it be for some time to come. And before all you bashers call me partisan and anti-american and all of that crap, think about it. Nothing anti about my rant, I'm just being a realist.

A positive step? Sure.

But that's about it.

Okay Navy Pride... start with the usual name calling. Try to be more creative than "you damn liberals" this time, m'kay? :roll:

Middleground said:
I cannot beileve that y'all are foolish enough to believe that everything is peachy keen in Iraq because of the voter turnout. You must be the folk that believed in the rose petal greetings that were supposed to happen when Iraq was liberated from Saddam. It's going to take years -- if at ALL -- for democracy to take shape in any form in Iraq. After all of these years, Russia is still struggling with it!

So no, I don't believe for one second that the region is reformed/stabilized, nor will it be for some time to come. And before all you bashers call me partisan and anti-american and all of that crap, think about it. Nothing anti about my rant, I'm just being a realist.

A positive step? Sure.

But that's about it.

Okay Navy Pride... start with the usual name calling. Try to be more creative than "you damn liberals" this time, m'kay? :roll:

ROFL!!!!!!!!! Thats hilarious......
No, I absolutely agree with you, and I personally think Russia is a good example, of course, these guys aren't going to agree, because that would make them less "conservative" to agree with you.

Anyhow, When Russia fell, it at least had a form of government in place before the fall. Iraq had very little in the area of governance, Russia had thier own little cabinets and political leaders and such, Iraq had brothers and nephews and childhood friends in the political positions.

So it will be intresting to see how this works, especially when they ask us to leave and we refuse.

Caine said:
Not to mention the trillions of debt we are in just to build a new democracy....
So HOORAY FOR IRAQ!!!!!!!!!

Umm... the Iraq war has only cost about $200 billion since it started... less than $100 bil a year.. a small, less than 10% chunk of federal spending.

Here come the naysayers and the doom and gloomers......I love it.........

Navy Pride said:
This is a great victory for the Iraqi people and democracy in the middle east and President Bush and a crushing defeat for people in this country who want us to fail in Iraq for partisan political reasons..........

No one is saying that this isn't a positive sign, but I'd hardly call it a "victory"....Iraq still has a long way to go before anyone actually reaps the benefits of a democracy there.

I don't really think there are too many people that want us to "fail" in Iraq....there's just a lot of us that see no justification for us being there in the first place. But we're there, nothing we can do to change that, so we might as well do what we were sent to do, to the best of our ability.

I don't recall anyone saying "mission accomplished" here, just trying to read some good news for once, jeesh!:roll:

Middleground said:
It's going to take years -- if at ALL -- for democracy to take shape in any form in Iraq. After all of these years, Russia is still struggling with it!

A positive step? Sure.

But that's about it.

I agree that it will take years for a successful democracy to be realized but today's election was a major step toward that goal and should be celebrated, not criticized as many democrats are doing.

Deegan said:
I don't recall anyone saying "mission accomplished" here, just trying to read some good news for once, jeesh!:roll:

Hrmm???
I wonder what this is then??????

Attachments

• mission_accomplished.jpg
    mission_accomplished.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 6
The Real McCoy said:
Umm... the Iraq war has only cost about $200 billion since it started... less than $100 bil a year.. a small, less than 10% chunk of federal spending.

Okay... take everything I say exactly as it is......

It is contributing to the massive debt .....

Okay? are you friggin' happy now????

Stace said:
No one is saying that this isn't a positive sign, but I'd hardly call it a "victory"....Iraq still has a long way to go before anyone actually reaps the benefits of a democracy there.

I don't really think there are too many people that want us to "fail" in Iraq....there's just a lot of us that see no justification for us being there in the first place. But we're there, nothing we can do to change that, so we might as well do what we were sent to do, to the best of our ability.

Yeah the left and the Bush haters are firmly behind the prez and wants him to succeed in Iraq:roll: .........Murtha says we can't win there......:confused:

Caine said:
Okay... take everything I say exactly as it is......

It is contributing to the massive debt .....

Okay? are you friggin' happy now????

If you are so concerned about the debt why don't you send your tax cut back?:confused: :roll:

The Real McCoy said:
I agree that it will take years for a successful democracy to be realized but today's election was a major step toward that goal and should be celebrated, not criticized as many democrats are doing.

I agree that this election should not be criticized, though I would not go as fas as saying that it was a major success. It's a positive step, but a small on in my view. There so much more to be done in order for this to work, I would think.

It think it's important to keep in mind that Iraqis generally have no clue as to what freedom is all about. I doubt this current generation will ever fully understand how a democracy works, especially after having lived so differently for many years. It's like asking us to suddenly live without freedom and rights. One does not change it's programmed makeup on a dime.

Anyway, there's no looking back. What's done is done, and hopefully, this will work out in the end. Though perhaps not in our lifetime.

The reason I hesitate on posting on these threads is, not because I'm wishing the war will go badly as the Bushelittes would have you believe, but because I think its unwise to gloat until we see what happens after our troops leave.

However, this news does make me a bit more optimistic

Navy Pride said:
Here come the naysayers and the doom and gloomers......I love it.........

Navy, do you ever have anything concrete to say? All I get from you is made up facts blown out of your arse (that will be the day when you actually post a link... you have time to post 3,000 useless posts, but yet never have the time to research your "facts") and stupid partisan comments.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of your useless waste of cyberspace.

Middleground said:
Navy, do you ever have anything concrete to say? All I get from you is made up facts blown out of your arse (that will be the day when you actually post a link... you have time to post 3,000 useless posts, but yet never have the time to research your "facts") and stupid partisan comments.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of your useless waste of cyberspace.

This is why he has now earned my ignore click twice........

He never contributes anything actually worthy of debating on.

Navy Pride said:
Yeah the left and the Bush haters are firmly behind the prez and wants him to succeed in Iraq:roll: .........Murtha says we can't win there......:confused:

Hmmm....that's funny....I didn't say anything about the left specifically, or Bush. Who knows what his real agenda is? No, I was talking about the troops, the men and women that are actually IN Iraq, busting their butts to accomplish things like this vote...THOSE are the people I want to see succeed.

Stace said:
Hmmm....that's funny....I didn't say anything about the left specifically, or Bush. Who knows what his real agenda is? No, I was talking about the troops, the men and women that are actually IN Iraq, busting their butts to accomplish things like this vote...THOSE are the people I want to see succeed.

LOL... Have you not figured out that he doesn't mention anything that doesn't have Liberal... Bush... Conservative....Hilary... or Dean in there????

If you can find a post that doesn't have ONE of those words in it... or even referring to something along ONE of those lines.... you've found a rare gem indeed... I recommend you ignore him, your not going to get any debate out of it.

Caine said:
This is why he has now earned my ignore click twice........

He never contributes anything actually worthy of debating on.

Well gosh-golly-geez-darn, why was I not aware of this brilliant feature, LOL?

How does one administer the very useful ignore feature?

Back
Top Bottom