• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Use your opinion to help sway my decision! Help please!

oblivious93

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hello! :)
I have recently become very interested in the topic of abortion, mostly because of new abortion laws being passed in my state. I've known about the abortion debate for a while, but have never really had a chance to discuss both sides of the spectrum(pro-choice and pro-life) with anyone. The first place I went to try and discuss this topic was YouTube(which was a really bad idea on my part!), but there is nothing but name-calling going on there. So, I'm starting this thread! :)

Here's how it is: I am on the fence right now when it comes to abortion, probably because I don't know a lot about it. I would just like to know what side you are on and the reasons behind your opinion.

Just so that everyone knows, I am not a religious person. I am very spiritual, but I do not follow one specific religion. However, I would still like to hear the religious aspects of your decision, even though that may not affect my decision in the end. I will probably be asking a LOT of questions, so please be patient with me. I'm young and new to all of this. I'd also love to read posts between other members, just as long as we keep it civil. I came here to get away from all the immaturity(name-calling, going around in circles until the discussion is going nowhere, etc.).

Remember: I am going to be making up my mind on this topic from this discussion(I'll also be doing some outside research while we're discussing things, but I mainly want to hear how other people justify their opinion), so please remember to give me reasons why you feel the way you do.

Thank you so much in advance and I can't wait to hear how everyone feels! :mrgreen:

IMO, it's the taking of a life (can't get around that fact) It should only be an option if the mother's life is in danger.

Second, mind if I ask how old you are?

It is your decision girl. May we see the videos in Youtube you posted?

I have recently become very interested in the topic of abortion, mostly because of new abortion laws being passed in my state. I've known about the abortion debate for a while, but have never really had a chance to discuss both sides of the spectrum(pro-choice and pro-life) with anyone. The first place I went to try and discuss this topic was YouTube(which was a really bad idea on my part!), but there is nothing but name-calling going on there. So, I'm starting this thread! :)

Here's how it is: I am on the fence right now when it comes to abortion, probably because I don't know a lot about it. I would just like to know what side you are on and the reasons behind your opinion.

Just so that everyone knows, I am not a religious person. I am very spiritual, but I do not follow one specific religion. However, I would still like to hear the religious aspects of your decision, even though that may not affect my decision in the end. I will probably be asking a LOT of questions, so please be patient with me. I'm young and new to all of this. I'd also love to read posts between other members, just as long as we keep it civil. I came here to get away from all the immaturity(name-calling, going around in circles until the discussion is going nowhere, etc.).

Remember: I am going to be making up my mind on this topic from this discussion(I'll also be doing some outside research while we're discussing things, but I mainly want to hear how other people justify their opinion), so please remember to give me reasons why you feel the way you do.

Thank you so much in advance and I can't wait to hear how everyone feels! :mrgreen:

If this thread is genuine, then good luck with your decision. It is a very difficult one to make.

For the individual considering an abortion it is such a private matter. Know that the majority of women who are forced to make it do so with great personal difficulty. They chose this route for a wide variety of reasons, many of which are important to respect. Maybe they have an abusive husband or partner, maybe they have several children and can barely provide for them now, maybe they are emotionally spent and are not capable of being present for a child or managing a pregnancy. By allowing the birth you may be condemning that child to an awful life. Not to mention the life of the mother and other children if there are any. It may even be a simple quality of life decision for the woman. Believe me, an unplanned pregnancy changes your life FOREVER, no matter what you do.

If you are a person who relies on science then you may want to do some research about when a fetus will feel pain. That may be the trigger for you.

At the end of the day, it is an individual decision and best kept that way in my opinion.

My opinion is that although I am personally against it, in the way that I would not have one, and I believe it is the killing of a human, the decision should be left up to the woman in question, as it is her body and her baby. If she can live with her choice, I can live with it, as it's not an action that I had anything to do with.

So, I am pro-choice but have an aversion to the act itself.

If this thread is genuine, then good luck with your decision. It is a very difficult one to make.

For the individual considering an abortion it is such a private matter. Know that the majority of women who are forced to make it do so with great personal difficulty. They chose this route for a wide variety of reasons, many of which are important to respect. Maybe they have an abusive husband or partner, maybe they have several children and can barely provide for them now, maybe they are emotionally spent and are not capable of being present for a child or managing a pregnancy. By allowing the birth you may be condemning that child to an awful life. Not to mention the life of the mother and other children if there are any. It may even be a simple quality of life decision for the woman. Believe me, an unplanned pregnancy changes your life FOREVER, no matter what you do.

If you are a person who relies on science then you may want to do some research about when a fetus will feel pain. That may be the trigger for you.

At the end of the day, it is an individual decision and best kept that way in my opinion.

How about some positive points about keeping the child?

Would you really kill that baby because he or she *might* have a terrible life? You can't predict that.

How about some positive points about keeping the child?

Would you really kill that baby because he or she *might* have a terrible life? You can't predict that.

A woman knows where her life is and whether or not she is capable of being a mother at any given point in time, and what the condition in her home is. So you make the best decision you can given what you DO know at the time. It certainly risks the potential of a life that may have turned out extraordinary but that is a slender hope when faced with so many disadvantages you hold certainty with.

Sounds an awful lot like you're putting together a paper for school. No thanks.

A woman knows where her life is and whether or not she is capable of being a mother at any given point in time, and what the condition in her home is. So you make the best decision you can given what you DO know at the time. It certainly risks the potential of a life that may have turned out extraordinary but that is a slender hope when faced with so many disadvantages you hold certainty with.

People's lives do get better. Often taking on the responsibility of parenting has a positive effect.

Getting an abortion because you 'suspect' that child's life will be screwed up is what I would call a convenience or maybe even a selfish excuse.

People's lives do get better. Often taking on the responsibility of parenting has a positive effect.
Getting an abortion because you 'suspect' that child's life will be screwed up is what I would call a convenience or maybe even a selfish excuse.

I don't disagree with that. They can. But some, too many, find themselves in situations that digging themselves out of and creating a better, just achieving that, would take everything they have. Maybe making this decision now, would help a person to first achieve bettering their lives and then they could add kids which they would have a much better chance of providing a good life for.

It is not a matter of having some vague suspicion. It is a matter of having a greater certainty based on what you know about your life right now. You can call it a selfish excuse if you like but that is very judgmental. You are not a woman, you don't know what it takes to experience a pregnancy or what, as a woman, becoming a mother requires of you.

Got a paper due?

I am not pregnant. Abortion has just been a really hot topic in my state right now. I've already looked up countless articles on abortion, but I wanted to come here that way I can get opinions straight from people who feel strongly about this topic and the reasons behind their opinions as well.

@Lutherf: No. I'm genuinely interested in how people have formed their opinions on this matter.

I don't disagree with that. They can. But some, too many, find themselves in situations that digging themselves out of and creating a better, just achieving that, would take everything they have. Maybe making this decision now, would help a person to first achieve bettering their lives and then they could add kids which they would have a much better chance of providing a good life for.

It is not a matter of having some vague suspicion. It is a matter of having a greater certainty based on what you know about your life right now. You can call it a selfish excuse if you like but that is very judgmental. You are not a woman, you don't know what it takes to experience a pregnancy or what, as a woman, becoming a mother requires of you.

I have a Wife and two daughters so I' quite aware of what it takes.

My oldest basically DIED while giving birth to her first child her heart stopped beating several times and it was necessary to revive her each time.

She's now pregnant with her second and even though the same could happen this time, that baby's life is of utmost importance to her and her husband.

I love and admire them for that.

And no I'm not a woman.

I am not pregnant. Abortion has just been a really hot topic in my state right now. I've already looked up countless articles on abortion, but I wanted to come here that way I can get opinions straight from people who feel strongly about this topic and the reasons behind their opinions as well.

So you have no opinion presently?

Sounds an awful lot like you're putting together a paper for school. No thanks.

I'm not, but thanks for being so open-minded about it... :sarcasticclap

I have a Wife and two daughters so I' quite aware of what it takes.

My oldest basically DIED while giving birth to her first child her heart stopped beating several times and it was necessary to revive her each time.

She's now pregnant with her second and even though the same could happen this time, that baby's life is of utmost importance to her and her husband.

I love and admire them for that.

And no I'm not a woman.

You are entitled to your opinion. I respect your right to have an opinion that is loyal to your conscience. But everyone deserves that same right. And no matter how empathetic you are capable of being, you will never truly understand what any of those things mean to a woman.

So you have no opinion presently?

As of right now, I'm leaning more toward the pro-choice side, but I still don't feel like I've done enough research to make a definitive decision yet.

Abortion is legal
it is not going to EVER be made illegal, (as well it shouldn't)
the only question you need to answer is: would you ever consider such a thing?
hah I love how folks wanted to know if you were with child before offering their opinion

Here's mine: up until the moment they handed me my son I thought abortion was a viable means of birth control HAH!
Then I knew better ;)
Course I don't have the plumbing that would require me to EVER have to choose :tongue4:

You are entitled to your opinion. I respect your right to have an opinion that is loyal to your conscience. But everyone deserves that same right. And no matter how empathetic you are capable of being, you will never truly understand what any of those things mean to a woman.

You're not the mysterious creatures you think you are. You're just human like me. ;)

or put another way: I'm pro-life
but I think people should have the Gawd given right to choose death for their offspring

Back
Top Bottom