• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Use your opinion to help sway my decision! Help please!

I'm astounded how a young woman could reach age 20 and not have formed an opinion on this matter?

As of right now, I'm leaning more toward the pro-choice side, but I still don't feel like I've done enough research to make a definitive decision yet.

If you pray or even meditate, that might help answer your questions.

As you've heard from some here, "it's a personal decision". It's actually between you, your selected higher power and the living being that might be in your womb some day.

Choose wisely.

You're not the mysterious creatures you think you are. You're just human like me. ;)

Of course we are but their are differences. I would never claim to be capable of what it is like to be a man. To feel the pressures of that male role. Providing, protecting being guided by convention to stuff your emotions. I can to an extent because I pay attention and I care. But men and women are different.

Of course we are but their are differences. I would never claim to be capable of what it is like to be a man. To feel the pressures of that male role. Providing, protecting being guided by convention to stuff your emotions. I can to an extent because I pay attention and I care. But men and women are different.

That's just what some feminists propagated for the masses to keep us at odds. It's nonsense!

I have to agree women are not human

That's just what some feminists propagated for the masses to keep us at odds. It's nonsense!

If that was supposed to be an insult it wasn't. And I happen to have a mind of my own.

you two get a room

with one of those vibrating beds

I'm astounded how a young woman could reach age 20 and not have formed an opinion on this matter?

Well, a big part of it is that I've just recently decided what I believe in, in terms of religion. I've been so focused on trying to figure out whether I believe in God, (if I do) do I believe in what the Bible teaches or do I think God is being portrayed wrong in it, basically answering all of my religious questions before I move on to others. Now that I can comfortably say that I am spiritual, but not really religious, I feel like I can make a better informed decision on this matter. And I guess because I am spiritual, I'm leaning toward pro-choice. At the same time, though, who can really say when the spirit(or soul) enters the body? It's really confusing.

It's really confusing
Not really, no one on earth knows the answer to that question and anyone that says they do is lying. Of course when it comes to what the law is everyone should be pro-baby killing It's the law of the land I'm a guy I'd never have to make the decision. As a woman you have to split the issue: of course you support abortion rights and that has nothing to do with whether or not you'd ever have one. hope that's not too confusing ;)

Hello! :)
I have recently become very interested in the topic of abortion, mostly because of new abortion laws being passed in my state. I've known about the abortion debate for a while, but have never really had a chance to discuss both sides of the spectrum(pro-choice and pro-life) with anyone. The first place I went to try and discuss this topic was YouTube(which was a really bad idea on my part!), but there is nothing but name-calling going on there. So, I'm starting this thread! :)

Here's how it is: I am on the fence right now when it comes to abortion, probably because I don't know a lot about it. I would just like to know what side you are on and the reasons behind your opinion.

Just so that everyone knows, I am not a religious person. I am very spiritual, but I do not follow one specific religion. However, I would still like to hear the religious aspects of your decision, even though that may not affect my decision in the end. I will probably be asking a LOT of questions, so please be patient with me. I'm young and new to all of this. I'd also love to read posts between other members, just as long as we keep it civil. I came here to get away from all the immaturity(name-calling, going around in circles until the discussion is going nowhere, etc.).

Remember: I am going to be making up my mind on this topic from this discussion(I'll also be doing some outside research while we're discussing things, but I mainly want to hear how other people justify their opinion), so please remember to give me reasons why you feel the way you do.

Thank you so much in advance and I can't wait to hear how everyone feels! :mrgreen:

Three parts to this question. Should it be legal? Is it morally ok, good, bad? Other considerations.

Should it be legal?: It all centers around "when does life begin?" If life begins at conception, then it's murder. If life begins when a heart beat and rough human-like features can be detected, then it's like 21 weeks or something (roughly that, and a lot of states set that as a limit). If it's when the baby is physically born and completely outside of the womb for lack of a better description...well there you go (most people agree this is more of a technicality than a real measure of when life begins). Since there is no overwhelming consensus on when life actually begins and how to define life legally, then most states take the middle ground. Until those things can be defined, and shown to conflict with abortion, it will remain legal. Exceptions to rules occur with things like rape, incest, health of mother, etc.

Is is morally ok, good, bad?: That's for you to decide based on your compass. I think most would place it in the "necessary evil" to "bad" categories.

Other things to consider: I've known a few people that have done it...all of them suffer guilt from the experience though I'm not sure it would have changed their mind at the time because they felt trapped. Health: If it's legal, it ought to be regulated for safety, qualified personnel, and respect for other alternatives. In other words, it shouldn't be politicized or glamorized. Risks: It's a medical procedure involving risks to your reproductive system from trauma and contamination, also infection. Grotesqueness factor: high. the unborn are treated as garbage, videos show that fetuses attempt to escape the instrument that "breaks them up" for lack of medical term, and politicizing it makes it all the more surreal.

My personal take: Continue seeking consensus for legally defining "life" and when it begins. People are going to seek abortions even if they are illegal, so it's difficult to not allow it on some level to ensure its safety. Minors should need guardian consent or at least notification prior to it taking place. Counseling should be made available prior to it taking place, and after if followed through. Contraception should be handed out like candy to help avoid this.

It was YOUR truth. One truth does not fit all.

"It was the truth" as in I'm not lying to you.

How 'bout you let the OP hear your story? (assuming you have one) kid's, spouse(s), parents, etc that helped mold your opinion.

I mean if women are truly different, I would like to hear how.

"It was the truth" as in I'm not lying to you.

How 'bout you let the OP hear your story? (assuming you have one) kid's, spouse(s), parents, etc that helped mold your opinion.

I mean if women are truly different, I would like to hear how.

What shaped my opinion is not what matters. She asked for my opinion, I gave it.

As for how women are different, if you don't know by now I am certainly not going to educate via message board. You are welcome to think what you want. I have no compulsion to change your mind.

What shaped my opinion is not what matters. She asked for my opinion, I gave it.

As for how women are different, if you don't know by now I am certainly not going to educate via message board. You are welcome to think what you want. I have no compulsion to change your mind.

Have a good evening then...

With all the "research" that you've claimed to have done, I can only assume that you're read Roe v Wade

Did you find anything wrong in the decision? If so, what?

And if not, then why would you have any doubt that abortion should not be banned?

In early termination of a pregnancy we are not talking about a person , or a baby, or even viable life ...we are talking about a type of cells that may have the potential to develop into those things. These are cells that reside inside a woman's body and that is an intensely personal place and no one has any say what goes on there other than the woman herself.
There is nothing selfish or wrong with making life altering decisions about what happens to some of your own cells inside your own body and anyone who tells you that is a jerk.
One would likely kill more cells taking a shower than would be killed in an early stage abortion.

Last edited:
I wanted to post a pic of Kermit Gosnell but I don't need another thread always showing up on my participated tab
that I've been banned from.

I came here to get away from all the immaturity(name-calling, going around in circles until the discussion is going nowhere, etc.).

Honey, you came to the WRONG place

just as long as we keep it civil.

Well, THAT didn't last long :popcorn2:

Remember: I am going to be making up my mind on this topic from this discussion(I'll also be doing some outside research while we're discussing things, but I mainly want to hear how other people justify their opinion), so please remember to give me reasons why you feel the way you do.

See, that statement concerns me. You want advice? OK, here's mine...

Certainly there is value in educating yourself as to facts, others' opinions, etc. (I'm not convinced an anonymous internet forum is the best place to do that but whatever.) But ultimately, YOU have to make YOUR decision based on what is right for YOU and YOU have to bear responsibility for the consequences of it, whatever those may be.

In early termination of a pregnancy we are not talking about a person , or a baby, or even viable life ...we are talking about a type of cells that may have the potential to develop into those things. These are cells that reside inside a woman's body and that is an intensely personal place and no one has any say what goes on there other than the woman herself.
There is nothing selfish or wrong with making life altering decisions about what happens to some of your own cells inside your own body and anyone who tells you that is a jerk.
One would likely kill more cells taking a shower than would be killed in an early stage abortion.

I think you got to the heart of the "ZEF" debate. Prolife folks only want you to see that clump of cells as a "baby".

But whether you see that clump of cells (zygote/blastocyst) as a baby (or not) is a philosophical belief, not a legal distinction.

still not posting a pic of Kermit

Back
Top Bottom