• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.S. Wants to Make It Easier to Wiretap the Internet

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Essentially, officials want Congress to require all services that enable communications — including encrypted e-mail transmitters like BlackBerry, social networking Web sites like Facebook and software that allows direct “peer to peer” messaging like Skype — to be technically capable of complying if served with a wiretap order. The mandate would include being able to intercept and unscramble encrypted messages.

The bill, which the Obama administration plans to submit to lawmakers next year, raises fresh questions about how to balance security needs with protecting privacy and fostering innovation. And because security services around the world face the same problem, it could set an example that is copied globally.

James X. Dempsey, vice president of the Center for Democracy and Technology, an Internet policy group, said the proposal had “huge implications” and challenged “fundamental elements of the Internet revolution” — including its decentralized design.

“They are really asking for the authority to redesign services that take advantage of the unique, and now pervasive, architecture of the Internet,” he said. “They basically want to turn back the clock and make Internet services function the way that the telephone system used to function.”

But law enforcement officials contend that imposing such a mandate is reasonable and necessary to prevent the erosion of their investigative powers.

Just what we need more big brother. We have caught criminals before that use the internet to communicate between themselves before there is no need for more powers of the state.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/us/27wiretap.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&hp

More idiots who have no idea how the internet works. Foreign websites have no reason whatsoever to listen to a buffoon out of their jurisdiction. Even if they could threaten companies who have local U.S. assets, they still couldn't touch anyone who operates completely off of U.S. soil. Peer to Peer wouldn't be effected in the slightest. This measure would do nothing but drive off legitimate businesses. Protip: if your policy on the internet is similar to that of the Chinese government, you probably don't belong in an open democratic society.

I thought all this crap was going to end, with The Secular Messiah delivering us to salvation and saving us from the the evils of the Bush Administration.

Instead, the new boss is worse in every relevant way than the old boss.
Why is it the liberals still support Him?
:shrug:

At least they trying to be up-front with it.. under Bush they just did it (and most likely still do)...

Oh, so under Bush...Baaaaaaad....Obama goes further, it's all good?

I guess this is the new transparency.

j-mac

I thought all this crap was going to end, with The Secular Messiah delivering us to salvation and saving us from the the evils of the Bush Administration.

Instead, the new boss is worse in every relevant way than the old boss.
Why is it the liberals still support Him?
:shrug:

So, which is it. Is he the Liberal Messiah or is he just another authoritarian like President Bush? You're confusing me!

We've been disappointed with him for a long time now. You just never noticed because Hannity et al. kept telling you President Obama was our Messiah.

So, which is it. Is he the Liberal Messiah or is he just another authoritarian like President Bush? You're confusing me!
Actually - both!
He billed Himself as the Secular Messiah. Those that voited for Him fell for it.
He's turned out to be even more "authoritative" than Bush.

We've been disappointed with him for a long time now
When I see liberals protesting Him like they did GWB, I'll believe you.

We've been disappointed with him for a long time now. You just never noticed because Hannity et al. kept telling you President Obama was our Messiah.

He much more of an authoritarian than Bush. Obama wants to control every single aspect of our lives, from the food we eat, to where we work, to what kind of car we drive.

When I see liberals protesting Him like they did GWB, I'll believe you.

I never saw conservatives protesting GWB. Call it even?

He much more of an authoritarian than Bush. Obama wants to control every single aspect of our lives, from the food we eat, to where we work, to what kind of car we drive.

hysterical. :roll:

"technically capable".......if served with a wiretap order. i have no problems with this.

What kind of probable cause are they going to be required to present, to obtain a warrant?

What kind of probable cause are they going to be required to present, to obtain a warrant?

it doesn't appear that the op addresses that questions, so why are you bringing it up? merely being ABLE to intercept communication that is legally authorized is a no brainer. why do you hate the troops?

Last edited:
Oh, so under Bush...Baaaaaaad....Obama goes further, it's all good?

I guess this is the new transparency.

j-mac

post to the facts, it's not that hard. the admin is referring to legally authorized intercepts. merely being able to intercept them makes sense, if they are LEGALLY AUTHORIZED. you know, the thing that bush didn't want to adhere to, the legally authorized part.

Last edited:
post to the facts, it's not that hard. the admin is referring to legally authorized intercepts. merely being able to intercept them makes sense, if they are LEGALLY AUTHORIZED. you know, the thing that bush didn't want to adhere to, the leagally authorized part.

But they were legal...Just because you libs say they weren't doesn't make that a fact....

j-mac

But they were legal...Just because you libs say they weren't doesn't make that a fact....

j-mac

nope.

but that aside, what is obama requesting that is so awful? the ability to follow though on legal warrants? you guys are grasping at bendy straws.

Back
Top Bottom