• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Twitter provides a great example of liberal blindness to hypocrisy.

Fishking

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
It really does just leave me astounded at seeing the levels of hypocrisy that is displayed by the left. I'm not being hyperbolic. It's like they have the memory of a potato. We saw months and months of systemic violence, in cities across the nation on a much larger scale than on the 6th, but that's A-OK. It was more than 2 seconds ago so it doesn't exist.

Now Twitter is going on about how Uganda blocking social media apps and believing their should be competition in the market of ideas. Like...uhhh, no you don't. The hubris of it.
138436196_412185446784086_8383583950978881152_n.jpg

It really does just leave me astounded at seeing the levels of hypocrisy that is displayed by the left. I'm not being hyperbolic. It's like they have the memory of a potato. We saw months and months of systemic violence, in cities across the nation on a much larger scale than on the 6th, but that's A-OK. It was more than 2 seconds ago so it doesn't exist.

Now Twitter is going on about how Uganda blocking social media apps and believing their should be competition in the market of ideas. Like...uhhh, no you don't. The hubris of it.
Talk about blindness - how can you not see the false equivalencies?.

View attachment 67313220
Do any of those involve imaginary vote stealing situations based entirely on bald faced lies repeated endlessly?

I'd not it's not a comparison.

We saw months and months of systemic violence, in cities across the nation on a much larger scale than on the 6th,

The bulk of that violence was instigated by the police and other right-wing agitators, not BLM or any Liberal groups of any kind.
And unlike you who just screams Antifa any time you stub your toe we have the proof...

"This was the first fire that set off a string of fires and looting throughout the precinct and the rest of the city," Sgt. Erika Christensen wrote in a search warrant affidavit filed in court this week. "Until the actions of the person your affiant has been calling 'Umbrella Man,' the protests had been relatively peaceful. The actions of this person created an atmosphere of hostility and tension. Your affiant believes that this individual's sole aim was to incite violence."

Twitter should have banned TPFKAT years ago.

The bulk of that violence was instigated by the police and other right-wing agitators, not BLM or any Liberal groups of any kind.
And unlike you who just screams Antifa any time you stub your toe we have the proof...

"This was the first fire that set off a string of fires and looting throughout the precinct and the rest of the city," Sgt. Erika Christensen wrote in a search warrant affidavit filed in court this week. "Until the actions of the person your affiant has been calling 'Umbrella Man,' the protests had been relatively peaceful. The actions of this person created an atmosphere of hostility and tension. Your affiant believes that this individual's sole aim was to incite violence."

The CT forum is that way -------------v

Do any of those involve imaginary vote stealing situations based entirely on bald faced lies repeated endlessly?

I'd not it's not a comparison.

Right...totally not a comparison. In one instance we see the silencing of voices that isn't desired and in the other we see silencing of voices that isn't desired but being complain about because they weren't the ones that did it.

The CT forum is that way -------------v
There is literally a link to a Minneapolis Police Sgt being quoted as looking for white supremacists. There are photos and videos of the man(a white man) with BLM supporters yelling at him and telling him to stop.
That is not a conspiracy that is a fact.

There is literally a link to a Minneapolis Police Sgt being quoted as looking for white supremacists. There are photos and videos of the man(a white man) with BLM supporters yelling at him and telling him to stop.
That is not a conspiracy that is a fact.

Yup...it was all false flags....all over the place, even when it was a person of color doing it. They were white supremacist plants too.

It really does just leave me astounded at seeing the levels of hypocrisy that is displayed by the left.
Here we go

I'm not being hyperbolic.
Yeah, you are. You're also parroting Today's Latest Right Wing Echo Chamber Outrage.

Go on....

Now Twitter is going on about how Uganda blocking social media apps and believing their should be competition in the market of ideas. Like...uhhh, no you don't.
Yes, because throwing people off Twitter after they encourage their followers to overthrow a government is definitely the type of ideas we want people to discuss freely and openly. :rolleyes:

For a little backstory, Uganda's government blocked all social media right before their election. That is a far cry from kicking out Trump two months and one attack on Congress after the election.

I'm also going to go out on a limb, and suggest that if the Democrats, or the networks themselves, had completely shut down Twitter and Facebook two days before the US election, you'd be absolutely screaming your head off about evil Dems and/or Big Tech.

Of course, if Twitter and Facebook got shut down now by a government agency or DDoS attack or some vendor pulling the plug, after Trump got the boot, you'd be cheering.

I realize that furious screeching about Eeeevil Big Tech is the right-wing's current method to dump 1/6 down a memory hole, but it's not gonna work.

Yup...it was all false flags....all over the place...
Not all of it. But definitely a lot of it. That shouldn't surprise anyone who pays attention to the underhanded tactics of white supremacists and their ilk.

Plus, a lot of the violence was a result of police using the wrong tactics. They should have adopted de-escalation techniques, which not only is safer for the protesters, but for police and neighborhoods as well. Instead, in no small part because they were the target of the protester's criticisms, many of them went out and bashed heads.

One of the reasons why 1/6 didn't turn into a total bloodbath is because the police didn't use excessive force -- as they had so many times in the past... that is, when protesters aren't white or right-wing. The differences in treatment did not go unnoticed.

Here we go

Yeah, you are. You're also parroting Today's Latest Right Wing Echo Chamber Outrage.

While I understand leftists are specifically told they are not allowed to think for themselves, this doesn't mean it applies to everyone.

Yes, because throwing people off Twitter after they encourage their followers to overthrow a government is definitely the type of ideas we want people to discuss freely and openly. :rolleyes:

You think this only has to do with what happened leading up to the 6th and after? Oh...what a stupid assumption. This has been going on for years and it involves more than locking out those that advocate overthrowing the government. What stupidly dishonest framing. For example, we had the Hunter Biden story locked down real quick only for the news to open about about it being a real thing after the election.

For a little backstory, Uganda's government blocked all social media right before their election. That is a far cry from kicking out Trump two months and one attack on Congress after the election.

I don't give a ****. Twitter has no standing to complain about anyone losing platform.

I'm also going to go out on a limb, and suggest that if the Democrats, or the networks themselves, had completely shut down Twitter and Facebook two days before the US election, you'd be absolutely screaming your head off about evil Dems and/or Big Tech.

Of course, if Twitter and Facebook got shut down now by a government agency or DDoS attack or some vendor pulling the plug, after Trump got the boot, you'd be cheering.

I realize that furious screeching about Eeeevil Big Tech is the right-wing's current method to dump 1/6 down a memory hole, but it's not gonna work.

Nope...they should just lose their Section 230 protections.

I see the hypocrisy of the “govt stay out of private business” crowd singing a different tune when it impacts them negatively.

People access these sites after agreeing to rules by the company..and when they actually enforce those rules lots of wailing snd crying that that they are being persecuted.

Welcome to the world you guys created. I’ll just sit over here enjoying the spectacle of the “I like these rules because they’ll never be applied to ME” crowd getting nice dose of reality.

View attachment 67313220
Suppose you lived in the Soviet Union, and were arrested by Comrade Beria. You then made a logical argument proving beyond any reasonable doubt that Stalin himself was a giant hypocrite.

That means you win, right?

View attachment 67313220

You're smart enough to know this is a false comparison. There is no hypocrisy here.

You can be against the censorship of political opinions and also moderate abusive or dangerous language and forbid behavior that incites violence. DP does it all the time. This is not a contradiction.

Sure, sure...people should have a voice, but only the approved people. Amirite comrade?
If you want to compare the two as far as degrees of unlawfulness: rioting carries a 5 year sentence while insurrection carries a 10 year sentence... So, by this measure, the Republicans are twice as bad 😘

Big Tech has adopted their theme song:

View attachment 67313220
Let me know when those "months and months" of "systemic violence" threatened our national government or was concerning enough to need to have the US Joint Chief's get involved in trying to calm the situation down.

This is like complaining that stubbing your toe is as bad as being hit by a 2x4 on the head.

You're smart enough to know this is a false comparison. There is no hypocrisy here.

You can be against the censorship of political opinions and also moderate abusive or dangerous language and forbid behavior that incites violence. DP does it all the time. This is not a contradiction.

1. They moderate more than abusive or dangerous language.
2. They also don't moderate abusive or dangerous language if it's coming from a leftist.

That's what you missed and that's how my comparison stands.

Suppose you lived in the Soviet Union, and were arrested by Comrade Beria. You then made a logical argument proving beyond any reasonable doubt that Stalin himself was a giant hypocrite.

That means you win, right?

It's not about winning. It's about stopping the insanity.

If you want to compare the two as far as degrees of unlawfulness: rioting carries a 5 year sentence while insurrection carries a 10 year sentence... So, by this measure, the Republicans are twice as bad 😘

Nope...leftists set up autonomous zones that blocked out police from entering and basically had their own little micronation inside the U.S. for a while. Much longer than 4 hrs.

View attachment 67313220

Just saw this from Reuters as well...

Let me know when those "months and months" of "systemic violence" threatened our national government or was concerning enough to need to have the US Joint Chief's get involved in trying to calm the situation down.

This is like complaining that stubbing your toe is as bad as being hit by a 2x4 on the head.

Over 200 were arrested trying to stop the Kavanaugh appointment. That's national level. Further, the riots where in state after state, so that make it national level as well. Politicians were harassed and attacked in public. Someone tried to assassinate a significant number of GOP Congressmen at a softball game. Political rallies of Trump, which is part of the political process, where systemically attacked to such a degree that riot police were routinely needed.

****ing amnesia all up in here.

Over 200 were arrested trying to stop the Kavanaugh appointment. That's national level. Further, the riots where in state after state, so that make it national level as well. Politicians were harassed and attacked in public. Someone tried to assassinate a significant number of GOP Congressmen at a softball game. Political rallies of Trump, which is part of the political process, where systemically attacked to such a degree that riot police were routinely needed.

****ing amnesia all up in here.
I would say that those arrested opposing the Kavanaugh appointment should have faced serious charges (I was taking a break from politics at the time so I don't have details handy in my mind) as it raises to a similar level of concern as the events of Jan 6. In that you have a similar circumstance of obstructing the procedures of appointing or confirming a top official. So you are right in terms of the level of crime and punishment.

On the other hand, there is a difference in the level of concern in the aspect that while these protests occurred, I do not believe that they ever held a threat against the continued existence of the government as we know it. I do not recall, for example, the joint chiefs having to make a statement that they support Kavanaugh. So in that case it was far less serious. So I disagree in terms of the threat it placed on the country.

Back
Top Bottom