• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's 15-week abortion ban is not a bad idea.

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It's more lenient than Belgium's abortion law: legal up to 12 weeks after conception or 14 weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period.

I personally support anything between 20 and 29 weeks. This is in line with other developed countries, such as France, Germany, Japan, etc.

A federal law is needed. We can work out the specifics - risk to health, rape, etc..... but an actual law should be on the books.

I vehemently support contraceptives and even abortion pills. However, there should be gestational limits for an actual abortion procedure. This clarifies such a controversial issue for women, doctors, and society.

I see no Democrat willing to support any gestational law on abortion, even a reasonable one. A Trump pregnancy could finally bring clarity to an issue that badly needs some sort of resolution.

As a guy I really feel I have no say in this but 15 weeks does sound reasonable.

It's more lenient than Belgium's abortion law: legal up to 12 weeks after conception or 14 weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period.

I personally support anything between 20 and 29 weeks. This is in line with other developed countries, such as France, Germany, Japan, etc.

A federal law is needed. We can work out the specifics - risk to health, rape, etc..... but an actual law should be on the books.

I vehemently support contraceptives and even abortion pills. However, there should be gestational limits for an actual abortion procedure. This clarifies such a controversial issue for women, doctors, and society.

What happened to "it's up to the states?" Why not?

As a guy I really feel I have no say in this but 15 weeks does sound reasonable.

Can you explain why there should be any limit? Is it murder or not? What distinction in the unborn...or the woman's pregnancy...makes some kind of difference to you?

Is abortion wrong?

I see no Democrat willing to support any gestational law on abortion, even a reasonable one. A Trump pregnancy could finally bring clarity to an issue that badly needs some sort of resolution.
Is abortion murder?

Can you explain why there should be any limit? Is it murder or not? What distinction in the unborn...or the woman's pregnancy...makes some kind of difference to you?

Is abortion wrong?

Is abortion wrong?

I am not a doctor, but even doctors would agree there should be limits on abortion.

I am not a doctor, but even doctors would agree there should be limits on abortion.

They do? Can you provide some sources for that, that are not based on their personal beliefs?

There are valid medical reasons not to do them very late in the pregnancy...based on more risks for the woman, that much I'm aware of.

They do? Can you provide some sources for that, that are not based on their personal beliefs?

There are valid medical reasons not to do them very late in the pregnancy...based on more risks for the woman, that much I'm aware of.

Giving a sole individual the right to have a dangerous late-term abortion is a bad law.

Why force a doctor to perform such a risky procedure?

Giving a sole individual the right to have a dangerous late-term abortion is a bad law.

THe doctor always has the final say based on the risks of the procedure...they are not compelled to perform them. And I already acknowledged this.

Why force a doctor to perform such a risky procedure?

They are not. What medical procedures are doctors 'forced' to perform? Now, please respond directly to my questions:

They do? Can you provide some sources for that, that are not based on their personal beliefs?​

So is this the 'I support universal health care and I'l reveal my plan in the next two weeks!!' issue of this election?

The odds of the Republicans passing this are 0.00%. So if anyone wants a 15 week 'ban' which would apply nationwide and therefore nullify the more stringent policies in place in a couple dozen red states, they better get on board with a BLUE WAVE in Congress, including a 60 vote majority in the Senate. And of course if that happens, Trump has a 0.00% chance of winning POTUS, so we might as well all wish for ponies and world peace. It will do as much good as trusting Trump on THIS issue, or even caring about his views on the matter, if he has any that aren't .

Is abortion murder?
That's the question for the GOP, of course. They've run for YEARS on the idea that abortion is "murder", that the doctors and nurses that do them are 'baby killers' and we're apparently supposed to take seriously a proposal by Trump to then say, "well, guys, all that stuff we ran on for decades, and the work the pro-life segment of the GOP did for decades to overturn Roe and stop the MURDER OF BABIES? We didn't really mean it!! Sorry!! Now that you have what you wanted all those decades, outright bans in several states, near bans in others, we're going to pass a national law allowing MURDER OF BABIES but only until 15 weeks. Sorry for that - sorry we'll stomp right on those state laws you guys worked so hard to get into reality. Now get on board!! and elect Trump!!"

It's not going to happen, and no one not a moron should take Trump seriously on this. At least I'll give him credit for reading public polling on this, but it's still a Lucy with the football kind of deal.

Yes it is. It’s none of Trump’s business, and it’s none of yours. Until the baby is no longer part of the mother’s body it is none of the states business.

What happened to it being a state issue?

Because you're blind and deaf.

How about no restrictions?

I mean, suddenly it's NOT a states rights issue?

No restrictions = no law. So, essentially, you want a lawless society?

There has to be a federal statute; otherwise, you will have a situation where abortion is illegal in some states and legal in other states. Is that what you want? What's the point of being called America? Why not separate the country into two?

The reality is that there has to be a restriction to grant rights. Why do we have voting laws that restrict minors?

The truth of the matter is, a federal 22-26 week ban on abortion is a GENEROUS law that provides abortion for women in the first and second trimester of pregnancy.

So is this the 'I support universal health care and I'l reveal my plan in the next two weeks!!' issue of this election?

The odds of the Republicans passing this are 0.00%. So if anyone wants a 15 week 'ban' which would apply nationwide and therefore nullify the more stringent policies in place in a couple dozen red states, they better get on board with a BLUE WAVE in Congress, including a 60 vote majority in the Senate. And of course if that happens, Trump has a 0.00% chance of winning POTUS, so we might as well all wish for ponies and world peace. It will do as much good as trusting Trump on THIS issue, or even caring about his views on the matter, if he has any that aren't .

Did you even read my damn post? I said 20-29 weeks. Such a law PROVIDES abortion rights up until a certain point which is a lot better than what certain states offer today.

Is abortion wrong?

Why do women have abortions in the third trimester outside of saving the life of the mother?

How about no restrictions?

I mean, suddenly it's NOT a states rights issue?

Supporting abortion being legal under any circumstance is a radical view that is not supported by the majority of American voters.

The majority of Americans believe abortion should be legal in certain circumstances, which is where I stand. The viewpoint which you espouse is RADICAL and EXTREME,

No restrictions = no law. So, essentially, you want a lawless society?

There are and have been laws and restrictions on abortion...are you unaware of that?

There has to be a federal statute; otherwise, you will have a situation where abortion is illegal in some states and legal in other states.

Yup...and that's what SCOTUS decided. Are you unaware of that?

Is that what you want? What's the point of being called America? Why not separate the country into two?

Well obviously those that need abortions want it so they can at least travel and have the medical procedure they need.

Those of us supporting women's rights and self-determination also support it, knowing we can vote and at least create refuges (states) where women can go to get the reproductive care we need.

The reality is that there has to be a restriction to grant rights. Why do we have voting laws that restrict minors?

See below.

The truth of the matter is, a federal 22-26 week ban on abortion is a GENEROUS law that provides abortion for women in the first and second trimester of pregnancy.

Are you aware that this was possible under RvW? That states had the option to restrict abortions at ~24 weeks? And yet, Republican extremists forced a legal challenge that overthrew this. Why do you tihink it would be acceptable now?

Anyway...
How many elective abortions of healthy, viable fetuses (~24 weeks) occur unless the mother's health is at risk? (None...or please provide the data showing otherwise. Several states already have NO time limit and no such abortions occur. So...what's the concern? Why is any law such law needed?)

Last edited:
There are and have been laws and restrictions on abortion...are you unaware of that?

Yup...and that's what SCOTUS decided. Are you unaware of that?

Well obviously those that need abortions want it so they can at least travel and have the medical procedure they need.

Those of us supporting women's rights and self-determination also support it, knowing we can vote and at least create refuges (states) where women can go to get the reproductive care we need.

See below.

Are you aware that this was possible under RvW? That states had the option to restrict abortions at ~24 weeks? And yet, Republican extremists forced a legal challenge that overthrew this. Why do you tihink it would be acceptable now?

Anyway...
How many elective abortions of healthy, viable fetuses (~24 weeks) occur unless the mother's health is at risk? (None...or please provide the data showing otherwise. Several states already have NO time limit and no such abortions occur. So...what's the concern? Why is any law such law needed?)

I said my friend, we can craft specifics or exceptions in a ban.

Like 99% of abortions happen before 20 weeks of pregnancy.

Back
Top Bottom