• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump is Right to Question Hispanic Judge

Oh my bad, I didn't think you were capable of engaging in a rational discussion. Ok, here is the flaw with every. single. one. of. your. points.

Proving bias on behalf of a judge requires that you prove, wait for it, bias on behalf of that singular individual. Pointing out that he is associated, in some shape or form, with an organization that, in some shape or form, has interests that might, in some shape or form, be negatively impacted by a President Trump does not qualify.

When you have something from Judge Curiel HIMSELF that shows a level of bias beyond "unfair" (but legally justifiable) rulings, then you can come back to me.

The fact that Gonzalez says it is OK to question the bias of a Judge does not mean that Trump should be the one to do it and it certainly does not mean that Trump should lay the blame for that alleged bias at the feet of the Judge's Mexican Parents.

BOOM nailed it!
and thats the ball game anything in opposition of this is desperation, dishonesty, and biased partisan rhetoric that nobody honest educated and objective will buy.

See bold.

Who cares? Who besides Trump propagandists care what happened 15 years ago.

I repeat. If Trump has a case, he can and should move legally to remove said judge, not try the case in public. Either he's totally bull****ting about having all these "great people" or he knows he's ****ed and is trying to get out of it.

Either way, he's dishonest.

I bet he doesn't want another judge. I bet he thinks he can influence this one, cause this one to favour him in an effort to not appear biased.

He is entitled to state his opinion , I believe he still has First Amendment rights ! Trump see the illegals burning American flags and beating up supporters , throwing eggs at women , and he see where this judge is headed . There is no way that judge should have even considered hearing this case .

What in hell do illegals burning flags and throwing eggs at women have to do with this?
Nothing, absolutely nothing, just more inflammatory rhetoric. Pulling triggers. Button-pushing, that's all this crapola is.

I bet he doesn't want another judge. I bet he thinks he can influence this one, cause this one to favour him in an effort to not appear biased.

My guess is it's ego.

It might come to be that some nasty evidence gets presented here and that Trump could lose. By stating know he "never had a chance" he saves face against his critics who point out he's a fraud.

This man is at least a sociopath. I don't think he cares about the outcome but what people think of the outcome. This is a very immature little boy we have here.

He is entitled to state his opinion , I believe he still has First Amendment rights ! Trump see the illegals burning American flags and beating up supporters , throwing eggs at women , and he see where this judge is headed . There is no way that judge should have even considered hearing this case .

So, once again why aren't Trump's lawyers acting on it.

And while we're at it, I don't think Trump ever accused Mexican Americans of burning flags...

See, he LOVES Mexicans!

And?
1. As a Deputy Assistant U.S. Attorney General in the Office of Legal Counsel, he was not even close to being the Attorney General?
2. Possibly the reason why the AG was tapped a day later for his opinion.
3. Yoo's comment came after the further revealing information provided in this thread.
So providing Yoo as a counter really is ineffective.

1. Gonzales had to resign because he politicized his office and the judicial system.
2. A lot of people were interviewed, not just Gonzales.
3. Who cares when they made their statements? The point is that they did.

I think it helps to show that a lot of conservatives don't agree with what the Donald has been saying.

1. Gonzales had to resign because he politicized his office and the judicial system.
2. A lot of people were interviewed, not just Gonzales.
3. Who cares when they made their statements? The point is that they did.

I think it helps to show that a lot of conservatives don't agree with what the Donald has been saying.
Still irrelevant as it was right to question.

You mean the judge who put his own life and the lives of his family on the line by going after drug cartel members when he was a Prosecutor? That judge?

And no, they don't agree. If they agreed they would have filed a motion asking the judge to recuse himself. They haven't done so.

But keep swallowing the Trump Pablum. It makes for amusing reading.
Bingo.

I just heard one of Trump's rants about the judge - until now I had just seen quoted excerpts and sound bites.

Yow.

He went on for 12 minutes... twelve minutes! Just a horrible, horrible mess.

Above clip, which starts at about 1:34:00. transcribed:

"Does everybody have a little time? [cheers and applause] so I end up with a lawsuit, and it ends up in San Diego in federal court. It is a disgrace the way the federal court is acting, because it is a simple lawsuit. Everybody that took the so-called course. Trump University is in San Diego.

The trial, they wanted it to start while I am running for president. The trial is going to take place sometime in November. There should be no trial. This should have been dismissed on summary judgment easily. Everybody says it, but I have a judge who is a hater of Donald trump. He’s a hater. His name is Gonzalo Curial. And he is not doing the right thing. I figure what the hell? Why not talk about it for two minutes. Should I talk about it? Yes? [cheers and applause] so we should have won. .
. .
But I am getting railroaded by a legal system, and frankly they should be ashamed. I will be here in November. Hey, if I win as president, it is a civil case. I could have settled this case numerous times. But I don’t want to settle cases when we are right. I don’t believe in it. When you start settling cases, do you know what happens? Everybody sues you because you get known as a settler. One thing about me, I am not known as the settler.

And people understand with this whole thing, with this whole deal with the lawyers, class action lawyers are the worst. It is a scam. Here is what happens. We are in front of a very hostile judge. The judge was appointed by by Barrack Obama – federal judge. [Boos]. Frankly he should recuse himself. He has given us ruling after ruling, negative, negative, negative. I have a top lawyer who said he has never seen anything like this before. So what happens is we get sued. We have a Magistrate named William Gallo who truly hates us.

The good news is it is a jury trial. We can even get a fully jury. We are entitled to a jury, and we want a jury of 12 people. And you are going to watch. First of all, it should be dismissed. Watch how we win it was I have been treated unfairly. Very much like with the veterans, where I raised all that money, but on Tuesday I am announcing all of the groups we are giving almost $6 million to. You turn things around. Here is the story. We have a law firm named Robin Skeller. It is the spin-off of two law firms. Two of those partners went to jail for an extended period of time for doing very bad things legally. This same group is the lawyers against.

So what happens is the judge, who happens to be, we believe Mexican, which is great. I think that is fine.
You know what? I think the Mexicans are going to end up loving Donald Trump when I give all these jobs. I think they are going to love it. I think they are going to love me. . . .

A lot of people said before you run you should settle. I said I don’t care. The people understand it. And they use it. So when I have 10,000 people, and when we have mostly unbelievable reviews, how do you settle? And in fact, when the case started originally, I said how can I settle when I have a review like this? Now I should have settled, but I am glad I didn’t. I will be seeing you in November either as president.

And I will say this. I have all these great reviews, but I will say this. I think Judge Curiel should be ashamed of himself. I think it is a disgrace he is doing this. I look forward to going before a jury, not this judge, and we will win that trial. We will win that trial. Check it out. Check it out, folks. You know, I tell this to people. November 28. I think it is scheduled for. It should not be a trial. It should be a summary judgment dismissal. . . .

It is a disgrace. It is a rigged system. I had a rigged system, except we won by so much. This court system, the judges in this court system, federal court. They ought to look into Judge Curiel because what Judge Curiel is doing is a total disgrace. Ok? But we will come back in November.

Wouldn’t that be wild if I am president and come back and do a civil case? Where everybody likes it. Ok. This is called life, folks. . . ."

Still irrelevant as it was right to question.

So sorry...but your claim just became irrelevant.

Trump is trying to back peddle now and said he's not going to talk about it anymore. Gee I wonder why?

Trump supporters demand apology for judge attack....

Trump supporters demand apology for judge attack | Washington Examiner

Republicans and Democrats alike have condemned Trump’s threats and accusations about Curiel’s heritage. Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) said on Tuesday that he would no longer support Trump’s presidential bid. Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) on Monday called the comments “the literal definition of “racism.”

The statement signals that Trump has gotten the message from his fellow Republicans.

Donald Trump Offers Non-Apology On Racist Judge Comments

So sorry...but your claim just became irrelevant.

Trump is trying to back peddle now and said he's not going to talk about it anymore. Gee I wonder why?

Trump supporters demand apology for judge attack....

Trump supporters demand apology for judge attack | Washington Examiner

Donald Trump Offers Non-Apology On Racist Judge Comments
Your characterization of not wanting to talk about it anymore as "back peddle" is absurdly ridiculous and only speaks to your own bias.
What is even more funny is that he is saying exactly what I and others have been telling the biased ones.

And I assume you have a point as to why a quote from Justice Sotomayor from 2000 and ****ing 1 about the influence of a person's racial and sexual identity on their judicial decisions, in general, has a direct bearing on a completely different ****ing judge 15 years later in terms of his ability to rule on this one SPECIFIC case?

Oh wait! I get it! Justice Sotomayor is Hispanic. And this guy is Hispanic!

They're practically the same person!

Then of what relevance should a person's ethnic and sexual identity have on their judicial decisions such that Sonia would suggest they should?

Present the evidence.

Anyone can make that statement about anyone. On the internet it's called trolling.

The plaintiff decided she wanted to drop the case and the judge allowed her , therefore the case is OVER !!!! The judge selectively released portions of the case to the media rather than releasing ALL the material , that my friend is bias !!!
The judge is a card carrying member of an organization that opposes the deporting of ILLEGALS , a judge who is suppose to obey all laws . And his group supports Killary Rotten Clinton to the tune of $ 700,000 .

What in hell do illegals burning flags and throwing eggs at women have to do with this?
Nothing, absolutely nothing, just more inflammatory rhetoric. Pulling triggers. Button-pushing, that's all this crapola is.

Why are liberals so dam nearsighted ? :lamo

So, once again why aren't Trump's lawyers acting on it.

And while we're at it, I don't think Trump ever accused Mexican Americans of burning flags...

See, he LOVES Mexicans!

It's the illegal criminals he has a problem with , he never said ALL Mexicans but those small details are lost to most democrats and the liberal thinking . :lamo

Then of what relevance should a person's ethnic and sexual identity have on their judicial decisions such that Sonia would suggest they should?

Well it has a legitimate influence on everything and it causes a bias on the way that a judge interprets facts, the law, and how they apply the law to the facts. Everyone has a bias entering into any decision that they have to make. The question for a judge is whether they apply that bias unfairly to a specific case that they are currently reviewing. If they can not, then the ethical codes of Judges requires that they recuse themselves from the case. If they are not objectively able to make that determination, then a motion should be filed by the attorney to force the review and to force an interlocutory appeal (essentially this refers to a type of decision that can be immediately appealed).

Well it has a legitimate influence on everything and it causes a bias on the way that a judge interprets facts, the law, and how they apply the law to the facts. Everyone has a bias entering into any decision that they have to make. The question for a judge is whether they apply that bias unfairly to a specific case that they are currently reviewing. If they can not, then the ethical codes of Judges requires that they recuse themselves from the case. If they are not objectively able to make that determination, then a motion should be filed by the attorney to force the review and to force an interlocutory appeal (essentially this refers to a type of decision that can be immediately appealed).

So then if she meant it, what Sonia said was disqualifying for her.

Your characterization of not wanting to talk about it anymore as "back peddle" is absurdly ridiculous and only speaks to your own bias.
What is even more funny is that he is saying exactly what I and others have been telling the biased ones.

Does Trump explicitly say that the Judge's heritage is a reason that the Judge is inherently biased in that statement? No.

Then he is back peddling.

Is he accusing those who alleged his statements were racist as being the true racists? No.

Is he berating his own campaign staffers for saying that the campaign doesn't want to discuss this issue any further? No.

Does Trump explicitly say that the Judge's heritage is a reason that the Judge is inherently biased in that statement? No.

Is he accusing those who alleged his statements were racist as being the true racists? No.

Is he berating his own campaign staffers for saying that the campaign doesn't want to discuss this issue any further? No.

Thank you again for establishing that you do not know what you are talking about.

So then if she meant it, what Sonia said was disqualifying for her.

No.

Setting aside the fact that we are talking about a speech that she gave, it should be noted that the speech was not directed towards any specific plaintiff/defendant or any specific case. And that's what matters. Is the judge unable to put aside their own biases in order to fairly evaluate the specific case that they are currently reviewing?

Thank you again for establishing that you do not know what you are talking about.

Keep lulling yourself to sleep with whatever mantra you need.

No.

Setting aside the fact that we are talking about a speech that she gave, it should be noted that the speech was not directed towards any specific plaintiff/defendant or any specific case. And that's what matters. Is the judge unable to put aside their own biases in order to fairly evaluate the specific case that they are currently reviewing?

It's unmistakable that Sonia was suggesting, make that, saying, that her ethnicity and gender should influence her decisions.
Parse it so it doesn't say that.

Keep lulling yourself to sleep with whatever mantra you need.
Funny.
Especially as the only bs that is doing that is coming from your side of the coin.

Back
Top Bottom