• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trayvon Martin acted in self-defense

Yes, Martin did attack Zimmerman. He did what any reasonable person would do when being followed by someone who is armed.

Betcha never thought of it along those lines.
Really? Its not illegal to follow someone. And how did he know he was armed.
And if you were un armed, would you engage an armed person?

Yes, Martin did attack Zimmerman. He did what any reasonable person would do when being followed by someone who is armed.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd be as froggy as to jump at someone whom is armed...But, TM had no idea that Z had a weapon until later.

You mean the girl who changed her story a million times and didn't call the cops? AND if Zimmerman really did attack first, where is the physical evidence of that? And if you're on the phone with your good friend and he yells "Get off! Get off!" after you know he was talking about a creepy guy in the area, and then the phone goes silent..... wouldn't you call the cops?
I promise you, he never said that...I saw a clip last night about her testifying about that (her first day) get off, get off. If anyone can find it......watch her body language. She was rocking up a storm, from side to side. I cannot believe I didn't notice it the first time. She wasn't rocking like that when she answered any other questions. Please don't say she was nervous. I understand............but ultra nervous about that statement......why? Check it out.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd be as froggy as to jump at someone whom is armed...But, TM had no idea that Z had a weapon until later.

Maybe he didn't. We of course will never know his side of the story whichever way you cut it.

Maybe he didn't. We of course will never know his side of the story whichever way you cut it.

I understand, but that doesn't give you licence to make one up....The fact today still remains that if TM had just gone home instead of choosing to confront, and assault, he'd be alive today.

I'm assuming this is facetious given that you've been here less than a month and what you've said is demonstrably false.
Dont see false to me, disagree with certian people on here and they run to the mods about you.

I understand, but that doesn't give you licence to make one up....The fact today still remains that if TM had just gone home instead of choosing to confront, and assault, he'd be alive today.

No disputing that at all.

A reasonable person would have went home not bring a fist to a gun fight.

Yes, I think if a creepy person is following you, you have every right to defend yourself.

Now, when does the creepy person (who doesn't mean you any harm) have the right to defend himself?

You have every right to defend yourself if said creepy person physically attacks you.

When in America did people get the idea that if someone is following you and you don't like it you can just punch them in the face and bash their skull in?

When did we get the idea you could shoot unarmed kids and get a pass?
You have every right to defend yourself if said creepy person physically attacks you.

When in America did people get the idea that if someone is following you and you don't like it you can just punch them in the face and bash their skull in?

In self defense.

You are allegedly a marine and can't seem to understand the concept of self defense?

Technically, EVERYONE'S own actions caused what happened. There's blame regarding bad decisions to go around that night.

Had Martin stuck to the the side of streets and/or sidewalks instead of cutting through yards then Zimmerman would likely never have began to tail him.

Had Zimmerman listed to dispatch and not followed Trayvon he likely wouldn't have been attacked.

Had Martin not physically assaulted Zimmerman, he likely would've never been shot.

Had Zimmerman not shot Trayvon, he likely would've never been thrown into this circus.

Both individuals poor decisions avalanched together to form this unfortunate situation. No one "deserves" to die for poor decisions, but the fact one did and that one may go to jail for quite some time doesn't magically make it a situation where we can't or shouldn't speak honestly about the poor decisions on both.

Just a slight correction.

The "cut through" M used that put him near the house was commonly used by residents as a shortcut. Therefore it wasn't "odd" in and of itself.

Why do you have to get personal? I was very well trained as a Marine and yes, I understand self defense. Unless you can intelligently discuss the subject and not attack me personally I am done with you. And capitalize Marine.
In self defense.

You are allegedly a marine and can't seem to understand the concept of self defense?

When a full grown adult male is following a kid on his way home after dark? Maybe? I really think it might have been Martin who could have plead SYG if he had lived of course.
When is assault justified under the law?

There is so much racial hate spewing against Martin it astounds the mind people would openly say such things.

Hiding behind anonymity brings out the racists.

FL 776.013

(3) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

Though poor judgement was used neither Zimmerman or Martin did anything legally wrong till the attack. Zimmerman did have a right to defend himself. It's tragic that he used deadly force but we'll never know that if less force was used would Zimmerman have survived?

There is so much racial hate spewing against Martin it astounds the mind people would openly say such things.

Martin? Certainly not on this board.

I'm not against Trayvon - I'm for truth.

Back
Top Bottom