• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"too many white people in key government posts" ? - Susan Rice[W:172, 240]

Re: "too many white people in key government posts" ? - Susan Rice

This 'Blacks Lives Matter' type thinking had a definite place and was very necessary in America.

I think that time has now past and that 'black' Americans are doing themselves no favors by continually whining about race.

Is there racism in America? Of course there is. Just as there is still sexism and a bunch of other bad 'ism's. But I believe it is a relatively small fraction of what it was a generation ago and is no longer a significant road block for the average African American (whereas a generation ago it undoubtedly was).

I truly believe that 'black' Americans should stop complaining about racism so much and start integrating more. I think most of 'white' America is finally ready to do just that and it seems that much of 'black' America is not (probably due to completely understandable mistrust).

My advice to 'black' Americans...stop looking at the color of everyone's skin and just get on with living. The faster you integrate fully into America, the faster your racism concerns will dissipate. Yes, there is still pathetic racism. But if you are waiting for the government to fix it...forget it. The government has done all it should (sometimes more then it should, imo). Now it is time for you to finish the journey into full and complete integration to make America a true melting pot.

And, for the record, I truly believe there is only one race, the human race. I do not see someone as a different race then me just because they have more melanin in their skin then I do. Not in the slightest, actually.

Last edited:

In terms of percentages there is too many white males. That is of course assuming you believe that percentages of those in office per group have to match the general population. Since there is no rational reason to believe any such thing, the argument is moot.

So much misinformation. So much misunderstanding.

I don't think she was suggesting that there should be strict guidelines to that effect. She was simply recognizing some actual facts of Group Process, Leadership, and Decisionmaking. The fact is - the best decisions are arrived at when all of the stake-holders are represented.

You're right about the 'white males' part, though. I suspect part of what was in the back of her mind, though unstated, was the preponderance of white males from upper-class homes, educated at Ivy League schools, who have 'connections' who end up in positions of power in government. There are some legitimate reasons for that. A good education is very helpful... absolutely. But we really are NOT best served by concentration of folks from one sort of background. She was saying it needs to be more heavily leavened. And she's right.

Here is what really happened............

This is what Susan Rice really said………..

and was quoting remarks of Senator Bob Graham at that……. Like I said......

If it sound like BS………it usually is BS………

Shame on the RW liars who distorted what she said…………

“Florida International University” “Susan Rice” commencement speech text

“……………..To those who deride our diversity, my answer is: I see why it matters every day, in those who protect this country and grapple with the toughest global issues we face. I’m privileged to work with brilliant and dedicated professionals across our government. But we must acknowledge that our national security agencies have not yet drawn fully on the strengths of our great nation. Minorities still make up less than 20 percent of our senior diplomats. Less than 15 percent of senior military officers and senior intelligence officials. Too often, our national security workforce has been what former Florida Senator Bob Graham called “white, male, and Yale.” In the halls of power, in the faces of our national security leaders, America is still not fully reflected…………..”
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...ambassador-susan-e-rice-florida-international

The minority family has dissolved.

Don't you believe that the children in two parent families have a much better chance at succeeding in life?
Don't you believe that the children not born to single teen aged mothers have a much better chance at succeeding in life?

I believe that the war on poverty, and all it's give away provisions, have made things worse rather than better.

This is good. Some facts!!

The problem is with your interpretation. You seem to then decide that this fact of fractured families is - on one hand - a personal choice... and - on the other hand - drives the bad outcomes for people of color. I would suggest to you that you have it backward. Look back to when blacks were brought here as slaves. What did their family structure look like then? Was there anything to suggest that blacks were inherently disinclined to form strong families? No... in fact the opposite seems to be the case. Families were part of what gave them the strength to survive a slave's existence. Sometimes families were broken up by an owner selling off one of the family members... but blacks worked hard to maintain their family units... and their communities.

Now fast forward to the present. Weak family structures. So what happened? I would submit that the largest factors were external, and that ANY race subjected to the same conditions would have exhibited the same results.

And those are one of the ways that perverse outcomes manifest when not all groups are represented.

Yes, if diversity is valued over functionality

Faulty reasoning.

She was not saying that diversity should be THE factor. She was saying it should be A factor.

And it should. Anyone who has studied how decisions are made will tell you that the best decisions come when the widest variety of perspectives are represented during the process.

Here's a thought experiment: Suppose you ran a certain section of the Federal Dept. of the Interior. And suppose that, increasingly, you found yourself addressing issues involving the desert. And your staff was heavily weighted with folks from New England, and the temperate rainforests of the Pacific NW. A smart leader would take steps to get some staffers who had some experience in the desert, and could offer a different perspective. If, initially, that meant accepting people with a lesser standard of formal education... or even some with NO formal education, but a wide base of experience... that's what they would do. If they're smart. It's probably what they should have done all along (in an ideal world)... but at least they would do it now. Can you not see the benefit?

I wonder is she will complain about the fact that there isn't a single Protestant on the Supreme court in though that group is more common in the US population than Catholics or Jews?

Red herring.

So much misinformation. So much misunderstanding.

She wasn't saying anything specifically about, and certainly not against, whites. She was taking note of the fact that the best decisions are made when the widest range of opinions and perspectives are represented at the table.

No she wasn't. But nice spin to put on it. :)

Faulty reasoning.

She was not saying that diversity should be THE factor. She was saying it should be A factor.

diversity in the name of diversity is stupid. if person A can do the job better than person B then there is nothing more to it.

And it should. Anyone who has studied how decisions are made will tell you that the best decisions come when the widest variety of perspectives are represented during the process.

red herring.

Here's a thought experiment: Suppose you ran a certain section of the Federal Dept. of the Interior. And suppose that, increasingly, you found yourself addressing issues involving the desert. And your staff was heavily weighted with folks from New England, and the temperate rainforests of the Pacific NW. A smart leader would take steps to get some staffers who had some experience in the desert, and could offer a different perspective. If, initially, that meant accepting people with a lesser standard of formal education... or even some with NO formal education, but a wide base of experience... that's what they would do. If they're smart. It's probably what they should have done all along (in an ideal world)... but at least they would do it now. Can you not see the benefit?

yep it makes sense to call in experts in a given field. yet this is a one time issue or solution that you are talking about.
if that person I needed again then you can hire them out. You higher people based on the majority of need that you have.
not the one off's.

however that doesn't stop what she said from being a racist statement.

Yeah, it really left me offended :eek: (Not that anyone cares, or that it even counts in many one's mind, offending white people doesn't count)

As a last thought, it seems that minorities are the most racist of the population.

If you pay select people, picked on the basis of race, quite richly, in the form of education, jobs, promotions, and special privileges, to view themselves and everyone around them according to the dictates of racial grievance-Victim politics...

Why would you expect any other outcome?

We do pay them well to be racist, so why wouldn't we expect them to be racist?

Why is this outcome of four plus decades of Government Institutionalized Racial Discrimination in the name of "Affirmative Action", surprising to anyone?

Why isn't this outcome exactly what any sane person would have predicted 40 years ago?

What is surprising to me, is that anyone would have thought it would have come out any other way?!

-

I really look forward to the day when people don't feel compelled to mention skin color incessantly. That won't happen as long as Obama is in the WH, and won't happen if Clinton gets in there, either.

I really look forward to the day when people don't feel compelled to mention skin color incessantly. That won't happen as long as Obama is in the WH, and won't happen if Clinton gets in there, either.
Honestly, this would be happening regardless if Obama was in the White House or not.

Oops... that chart has been thoroughly debunked. Don't take my word for it - just look into it with an open mind.

You did. Share it.

I really look forward to the day when people don't feel compelled to mention skin color incessantly.

Nice sentiment. The problem is that people already know that behind the skin there is a brain, the attitude, and the crime stats matching that skin.

And it is done by everybody, not just the whitey.

When the headline sounds unbelievable...............It most often is,,,,,,,Especially when from a biased source

Any one who believes That Susan Rice would say and mean sure a foolish thing is a horse's ass........

The larger part of Rice's address specific to the topic in question is quoted in post #1 for your perusal. Read it for yourself.

Or do you not want to be confused with facts and quotations that run counter to your partisan and ideological blinders and minders?

This is good. Some facts!!

The problem is with your interpretation. You seem to then decide that this fact of fractured families is - on one hand - a personal choice... and - on the other hand - drives the bad outcomes for people of color. I would suggest to you that you have it backward. Look back to when blacks were brought here as slaves. What did their family structure look like then? Was there anything to suggest that blacks were inherently disinclined to form strong families? No... in fact the opposite seems to be the case. Families were part of what gave them the strength to survive a slave's existence. Sometimes families were broken up by an owner selling off one of the family members... but blacks worked hard to maintain their family units... and their communities.

Now fast forward to the present. Weak family structures. So what happened? I would submit that the largest factors were external, and that ANY race subjected to the same conditions would have exhibited the same results.

And those are one of the ways that perverse outcomes manifest when not all groups are represented.

Post WW II the black family structure was in tact and strong. The black communities were served by a vibrant black owned and run businesses.

Something must have come along and have been corrosive to these things. Free government money for doing nothing, being irresponsible, appears to be a likely candidate, but I'll grant you not necessarily the only contributing cause.

Honestly, this would be happening regardless if Obama was in the White House or not.

To some degree.

Racial division is instinctive to all mammalian brain structures, and is one of the ways that species on earth in general locate mates with suitable genes for procreation. We're hardwired to seek out those of similar appearance for social interaction, because we need to mate with someone close enough for the chromosomes to pair up correctly.

In the real world, humans mating with sheep does not make sheople.

There were many eras in human evolution where two or more species of humanoids lived near each other, but were evolving apart.

Physical Appearance Tribalism is instinctive. It can be overcome, but all modern humans exhibit the behavior as a hold over from periods when multiple humanoid species co-existed.

That said, if our first Black President had been a person with the character of Ben Carson, instead of the Presidency's leadership being used to expand and intensify the racial divide, it would have been used to diffuse and calm the racial divide.

-

Last edited:

Is it possible that there's a difference because there's a significant power differential between white people and black people in America?
No. I'd say the likes of Sharpton and Jackson carry great weight in the African-American community. I'd say the culture of the African-American community carries great weight in the African-American community. I'd say 'lone wolves' in the African-American community are truly without power in the African-American community.

Perhaps if she named names, we could evaluate them on their ability.

That won't work. That would just make the "problem" worse.

Dunno, but if a white person every said anything like a government department was too black, there'd be all hell to pay, wouldn't there?
Why is this any different in the slightest?

It's cartoon stuff. The liberal mindset is that all white, conservative males think alike therefore it's imperative to bring in people of color who, apparently, also all think alike but think differently than white males.

And it's the rest of the world that's bigoted and racist.[emoji854]

Dunno, but if a white person every said anything like a government department was too black, there'd be all hell to pay, wouldn't there?
Why is this any different in the slightest?

What a bigoted, racist person this is. She's making assumptions that only have a basis in racism and if the "race" was reversed would be getting hammered for comments. If someone stated that we should appoint fewer blacks since they all think alike, they would get drawn and quartered in the press, but since the comments were directed towards whites, she gets cheered on.

Is it possible that there's a difference because there's a significant power differential between white people and black people in America?

So that makes it OK to be a racist???

you honestly dont know why?

You don't either. There are plenty of black people working for the government. Blacks make up 18% of the federal workforce. Have a nice day!

Susan Rice? I suppose following a massive, truly massive search, they could find someone less credible.

Back
Top Bottom