• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tom Brokaw says he is 'truly sorry' for his remarks about Hispanics on 'Meet the Press'

You want to destroy their heritage. You think brown heritage is bad? Let people be. Mind your own business; act like an American.

Tell us all what a American is?

It seems to be a moving goal post when any liberal on speaks.

Last I checked, freedom meant I can speak whatever damn language I want.

Same goes for everyone on American Soil. They'll learn if they want. They are free not too. And it's none of my business or anyone elses business if they choose not too.

Get over it already. Goddamn assimilation isn't freedom, it's a requirement to be like you.

You're free as long as you do everything like us, isn't freedom.

So no I don't agree they need to do a better job assimilating. I think people like Brokaw need to do a better job at minding their own business. That's what I think.

I'm torn on this.

I believe that people should try to learn the language of the country they now reside in. Why wouldn't they? My husband's ex wife has lived in America for nearly 40 years, and still sounds like she is straight off the boat. She doesn't even try.

I don't get it. I want to be able to communicate.

That being said, I also believe that people should be able to maintain their heritage and their culture. It's an important part of who they are.

I think it would be best to try to learn the language (but don't be belittled or derided for it if you don't know it) but also maintain your home language.

I agree. To function in America you have to speak English.

I recently spent a week in Quebec where the predominant language is French, a language I “learned” - or what passes for language learning in most of our schools - in high school but haven’t used since then. If it wasn’t for the fact that most people also speak English I’d have been lost. I cannot imagine going through life like that and personally would make learning the language my first priority.

On the other hand there’s the old joke “Q: what do you call someone who’s monolingual? A: An American”
It’s a sin in my opinion that we don’t take multilingualism more seriously here. And not just so we can communicate with each other. It wasn’t too long ago that you weren’t considered educated unless you could read the classics in Latin and Greek.

You pervert "melting pot" into "kiss my ass because I'm all up in your business".

You don't gotta tell people what to do. They don't need your advice.
To the contrary...when you as a country establish an immigration policy you not only have the right to but SHOULD establish guidelines which 'tell people what to do' when it comes to become a legal resident of your country. Anyone that doesnt get that is an idiot.
https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/learn-about-naturalization

- Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.

Unfortunately I think I you're right here and it's yet another example of the mob mentality we've developed that seeks to punish people for speaking their mind. It's one thing to distance yourself from someone who openly advocates mass murder but for advancing an opinion unpopular in some quarters or, even worse in this case, one that happens to be true.

That's a little overblown, don't you think? I'm sure some people on Twitter were very rude, but the predominate reaction I've seen is that Brokaw is an uninformed idiot, and his both siderisms trite nonsense. It's a fair characterization IMO, but you're free to disagree, and criticize me for being wrong, which isn't you being part of a mob....

That's a little overblown, don't you think? I'm sure some people on Twitter were very rude, but the predominate reaction I've seen is that Brokaw is an uninformed idiot, and his both siderisms trite nonsense. It's a fair characterization IMO, but you're free to disagree, and criticize me for being wrong, which isn't you being part of a mob....

I didn’t read Brokaw’s comments in detail - that’s on me - just what was published here and in the NY Times and took assimilation to mean - learn the language. I saw nothing wrong that nor with idea that you learn to predominant tongue of the place where you live.

NBC was taking heat for Brokaw’s comments and if they didn’t force him to apologize - they simply stated that they were glad he did - I’m guessing his career would have suffered for it.

Then there’s the kid from Covington and any number of other people whove been publicly shamed by people on social media.

So if I’m being overblown then I think it’s only a little

It seems to be a moving goal post when any liberal on speaks.

Booba dooba dee do.

Did you earn your cheerleader cookie for that one?

Anyone who does is scum.

Riiiiiiiiiight. People that believe that immigrants should follow specifically described legal requirements that enhance both the needs of the country and the successful integration of the immigrant are 'scum'

:lamo

Back
Top Bottom