• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tom Brokaw says he is 'truly sorry' for his remarks about Hispanics on 'Meet the Press'

I agree. He was throwing "both sides" a bone, and missed. I think most adults coming, end up having the most trouble. That's just reality, always has been for non-English speakers. Not even sure how it's ever relevant. We have continuous immigration, which means there will always be some number of non-English speakers, but that's a transient thing, it's not like it's communities just sitting there speaking Spanish only generation after generation. It's so absurd to even imagine if anyone doesn't get that.

Worse, he appears to be saying cultural assimilation is one way. That's just not America. We have an enormous number of cultures and traditions scattered around the country's communities. How is any one better/worse, I don't see the point. I mean, poor communities, sure, but that's not their first choice I don't think...or is he saying that's just a matter of willpower, pulling oneself up by bootstraps, when they have no boots?

He was making big proclamations without any real evidence/justification. He's definitely from an older generation too. I really think the younger generation may get it easier in a way that some who didn't experience that for most of their years, have trouble understanding. Or maybe I'm guilty of it too right there :)

Yep. There's been a lot taken from immigrant groups culturally as well, so I don't think it's a one way street either. I do think it's important for any immigrant to make an effort to adhere to the customs of their host nation; it's the polite thing to do. At the same time, they should be free to retain their customs and heritage so long as they are compliant with our laws.

You mean like bullying people into believing that their commonly-accepted impartial understanding of "melting pots" is somehow racist?

OM

No, like pointing out that stripping people of heritage is racist.

I'm not going to force you to learn how to assimilate into the dominant culture, just like I'm not going to force you to learn how to read or understand math. But you'd be a fool not to.

Not a fool as long a the gov't allows you to get away with it and forces others pay the price.
This is the insidious aspect of 'soft retribution' that all dems ascribe to and demand be embedded in government in countless forms.

No, like pointing out that stripping people of heritage is racist.

Fusing your culture with others is not "stripping" your culture. The very fact that your culture contributes is a testament to that fact.

OM

Fusing your culture with others is not "stripping" your culture. The very fact that your culture contributes is a testament to that fact.

OM

You want to destroy their heritage. You think brown heritage is bad? Let people be. Mind your own business; act like an American.

I'm torn on this.

I believe that people should try to learn the language of the country they now reside in. Why wouldn't they? My husband's ex wife has lived in America for nearly 40 years, and still sounds like she is straight off the boat. She doesn't even try.

I don't get it. I want to be able to communicate.

That being said, I also believe that people should be able to maintain their heritage and their culture. It's an important part of who they are.

I think it would be best to try to learn the language (but don't be belittled or derided for it if you don't know it) but also maintain your home language.

How is learning something new taking anything away?

The mother tongue is lost in the children if not practiced by the parents.

That's not yours to take. Not your business.

Jeeze. Is that one of your progressive morals?:lamo

The children are lost if they can only communicate with their family or those of like "culture".

Jeeze. Is that one of your progressive morals?:lamo

What's the matter? Did no one feed you your conservative kibbles today?

Gooood conservative. Yes, that's a good conservative. Good boy. Yes, that's a good boy.

Feel better?

The children are lost if they can only communicate with their family or those of like "culture".

So now you gotta be the anthropology expert telling everyone how to live their lives. How commie.

What's the matter? Did no one feed you your conservative kibbles today?

Gooood conservative. Yes, that's a good conservative. Good boy. Yes, that's a good boy.

Feel better?

OK. Why should your progressive moral effect anyone else?

I'm torn on this.

I believe that people should try to learn the language of the country they now reside in. Why wouldn't they? My husband's ex wife has lived in America for nearly 40 years, and still sounds like she is straight off the boat. She doesn't even try.

That being said, I also believe that people should be able to maintain their heritage and their culture. It's an important part of who they are.

I think it would be best to try to learn the language (but don't be belittled or derided for it if you don't know it) but also maintain your home language.

Exactly, it is an important part of who they are. By trying to keep it all of who they are they isolate themselves.

OK. Why should your progressive moral effect anyone else?

First, you answer my question. Why should an idiot be allowed to falsely label arguments in attempt to cheer-lead his way through a debate?

Exactly, it is an important part of who they are. By trying to keep it all of who they are they isolate themselves.

Progressives want to isolate themselves.

Yep. There's been a lot taken from immigrant groups culturally as well, so I don't think it's a one way street either. I do think it's important for any immigrant to make an effort to adhere to the customs of their host nation; it's the polite thing to do. At the same time, they should be free to retain their customs and heritage so long as they are compliant with our laws.

Yeah. Agreed.

You want to destroy their heritage.

Nope. I appreciate cultures which contribute to my own.

You think brown heritage is bad?

Nope. I think it's a splendid culture which has much to offer.

Let people be. Mind your own business; act like an American.

You mean like bullying people into believing that their commonly-accepted impartial understanding of "melting pots" is somehow racist?

OM

Well, that perspective might look good on paper but from a practical standpoint, his paycheck is coming from the propaganda arm of the progressive left and failure to adhere to the established doctrine is grounds for dismissal...or worse.

Unfortunately I think I you're right here and it's yet another example of the mob mentality we've developed that seeks to punish people for speaking their mind. It's one thing to distance yourself from someone who openly advocates mass murder but for advancing an opinion unpopular in some quarters or, even worse in this case, one that happens to be true.

I'm torn on this.

I totally agree. If I moved to a foreign country the first thing I would start is learning the language even before I stepped foot in it. Just simple things as shopping or watching the tv would be so much easier.

I realize the older you get the harder it is to learn a new language but it is still possible.

In the past have had Russian and Slovakian 19-20 yr old athletes live with us. Did not speak a single word of English. Their speed in learning English was phenomenal.

I remember a Slovakian 19 yr old who spent his first day with us. That night he went to the grocery store with me and we went up and down the aisles with me teaching him the English words for items. He followed me around like a puppy asking the words for everything. It actually becomes tiring as communicating with him took so much effort. The next day I had my truck loaded with junk for the dump and he eagerly followed me out to the truck. Was unable to explain where I was going but motion to come along. He hopped in the truck as if we were going to an amusement park. He was smiling the whole time.

But all of sudden he was speaking English to us.

I do agree with that.

I have thought of moving to Mexico. My plan had always been to learn the language beforehand. But even if I did move there, it would not take away my love of fried chicken and football. I was born in the south. I will always have that with me, no matter where I go. I don't want to lose that. I also, though, want to be able to appreciate my new surroundings.

Evolve or die. :shrug:

I totally agree. If I moved to a foreign country the first thing I would start is learning the language even before I stepped foot in it. Just simple things as shopping or watching the tv would be so much easier.

I realize the older you get the harder it is to learn a new language but it is still possible.

In the past have had Russian and Slovakian 19-20 yr old athletes live with us. Did not speak a single word of English. Their speed in learning English was phenomenal.

I remember a Slovakian 19 yr old who spent his first day with us. That night he went to the grocery store with me and we went up and down the aisles with me teaching him the English words for items. He followed me around like a puppy asking the words for everything. It actually becomes tiring as communicating with him took so much effort. The next day I had my truck loaded with junk for the dump and he eagerly followed me out to the truck. Was unable to explain where I was going but motion to come along. He hopped in the truck as if we were going to an amusement park. He was smiling the whole time.

But all of sudden he was speaking English to us.

That is a really cool story! :)

The younger you are, the more you will retain it. That's why so many kids are being taught a second language in elementary school now. All three of my grandkids are being taught Spanish. They will learn it before me, and they don't even want to. :lol:

I do agree with that.

I have thought of moving to Mexico. My plan had always been to learn the language beforehand. But even if I did move there, it would not take away my love of fried chicken and football. I was born in the south. I will always have that with me, no matter where I go. I don't want to lose that. I also, though, want to be able to appreciate my new surroundings.

Evolve or die. :shrug:

Much of Mexico (and points south of it) is moving here so I can just stay put and learn more Spanish. ;)

Back
Top Bottom