• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Today was the last straw for me

Nobody's buying it. You have been a librul all along.
Whether you or anyone else are buying it or not doesn't matter. It is True. I've worked for GWB's and Romney's campaigns along with many local and state candidates and made sizable donations. I'm tired of the right and their high opinion of themselves. Look at your post, it proves my point.

To be honest, I moved away from my party just like it left me. I'm tired of the absolute disregard of human life and the constant protection of the 1% clan. Maybe as I get older (now 66) I am more empathetic to those around me, maybe I just have a more clear vision of the GOP and the role their indifference plays in the suffering of Americans. Trump and his supporters are not looking to help America, they are looking to help themselves. They won't even help assure people can make a living wage in this day and age because it would affect the bottom line. Sick of it.

You are willing to support a known and convicted fraud and sexual predator. You are willing to support a man charged with 91 crimes against America. You are willing to support a man the stole millions from Americans looking to learn. You are supporting a man that steals donation from his charitable trust for he and his family. You are supporting a man that has had public affairs and cheated on his wives and children. You are supporting a man that paid hush money to keep his perversions from the voters and his family.

Those are the new GOP values.................... no thanks.

Not sure where you (over)confidence comes from. The race will likely come down to about 5 states, GA, AZ, MI, WI, and PA. Whichever candidate wins 3 of the 5 wins the presidency. Right now, Trump is leading in all 5. Does that mean he will win them all? No. Does that mean he will lose them all? No. But the idea that he has zero chance of winning 3 of the 5 defies logic.
I just told you where it comes from -- Haley voters aren't going to support Trump in large numbers. It's over for him.

Telephone polls don't mean shit. You would think that you would have learned that after the non-existent "red wave" in 2022.

And Biden is also going to win NC, by the way. Possibly even TX, which Biden also lost by a small margin in 2020.

Truthfully, you always did seem like a centrist, which is no surprise given how far the GOP has shifted.

Seconded...
@itstony you appeared to be a somewhat moderate center-Right guy to me for the most part.
As a Dem you might classify as a centrist or possibly a Conserv-A-Dem, or you might even be a moderate labor Dem.

Hey, as long as you aren't bowing to a cult of personality that seeks to dismantle the democratic process you will have a home in the DNC.
Sure, the far-Left and the die-hard Progs will bristle at you but they tend to bristle at a lot of people.
The good news is that if more and more people follow your path it may end up being a tide of independents seeking calmer waters and Dems can accommodate that too.
Most of us would be content to just return to the days when connies and libs fought over stuff all day long and hammered out compromise to give all sides something when all the dust settled.

I have been patient with all the nonsense coming from the GOP and their blind devotion to Trump. I have waited for the reality of his actions to sink in, the 4 indictments, the 91 charges against America, the lies, the misleading statements and his childish behavior. I truly thought the party will wake up and realize what a destructive force he has become and how his followers are just as guilty. I have suffered through people like MTG, Bobert, Gaetz and Johnson that are clearly unwilling to save America along with the likes of folks like McConnell who would rather quit than fight.

I have always felt it was enough to just be a Never-Trump Republican, it was not. Today, putting a clearly unqualified DIL of Trump in as co-chair of the RNC without questioning her motives was just too much. The sheep have spoken and I no longer wish to have my name associated with them.

This morning I had my records dropped from the roles of our state GOP and changed my party affiliation to Democrat, my new card is on the way. I never thought I would see the day after 46 years voting red until 2020. Donald, this is on you.

We probably don't agree on much politically, but the fact that Trump is unfit to lead is undeniable and I'm glad we can agree on that. I pray there are enough Republicans like you to prevent him from returning to office.

I have been patient with all the nonsense coming from the GOP and their blind devotion to Trump. I have waited for the reality of his actions to sink in, the 4 indictments, the 91 charges against America, the lies, the misleading statements and his childish behavior. I truly thought the party will wake up and realize what a destructive force he has become and how his followers are just as guilty. I have suffered through people like MTG, Bobert, Gaetz and Johnson that are clearly unwilling to save America along with the likes of folks like McConnell who would rather quit than fight.

I have always felt it was enough to just be a Never-Trump Republican, it was not. Today, putting a clearly unqualified DIL of Trump in as co-chair of the RNC without questioning her motives was just too much. The sheep have spoken and I no longer wish to have my name associated with them.

This morning I had my records dropped from the roles of our state GOP and changed my party affiliation to Democrat, my new card is on the way. I never thought I would see the day after 46 years voting red until 2020. Donald, this is on you.
Welcome to the fold. We're a big tent, unlike the current GOP. The GOP tent includes only those who pledge 100% loyalty to one very flawed, very dangerous human, rather to the welfare of the American people.

FWIW, Trump had been supporting the Democrats for years, with his family even providing campaign funds to Kamala Harris and others. He was also a good friend of the Clintons and provided funds for their foundation. He also inherited from his father who I think became wealthy thanks to government housing contracts, and gained from provisions benefiting the rich thanks to his, Dubya's, and Obama's admin.

Meanwhile, I think the GOP doesn't like him because he's not that much of a neoconservative: he wanted peace deals with North Korea, engaged in trade deals with China, and wanted to reverse military expansionism. Meanwhile, the Democrats don't like him, either, because he's not exactly a neoliberal, even though their main leader ironically promotes MAGA:

as also seen in continuing America First and going in different directions when it comes to oil exploration.

Finally, the same Democrats themselves also turn out to be neocons:

which means there's probably little difference between the two parties, as neoconservatism and neoliberalism are twin ideologies in the service of the rich, and as both parties promote both.

FWIW, Trump had been supporting the Democrats for years, with his family even providing campaign funds to Kamala Harris and others. He was also a good friend of the Clintons and provided funds for their foundation. He also inherited from his father who I think became wealthy thanks to government housing contracts, and gained from provisions benefiting the rich thanks to his, Dubya's, and Obama's admin.

Meanwhile, I think the GOP doesn't like him because he's not that much of a neoconservative: he wanted peace deals with North Korea, engaged in trade deals with China, and wanted to reverse military expansionism. Meanwhile, the Democrats don't like him, either, because he's not exactly a neoliberal, even though their main leader ironically promotes MAGA:

as also seen in continuing America First and going in different directions when it comes to oil exploration.

Finally, the same Democrats themselves also turn out to be neocons:

which means there's probably little difference between the two parties, as neoconservatism and neoliberalism are twin ideologies in the service of the rich, and as both parties promote both.

Fwiw, trump publicly asked Russia to interfere in our election (and make him an illegal campaign contribution) by hacking American computers.

Fwiw, trump publicly took the word of the leader of Russia over the analyses of our intel and security agencies.

Fwiw, trump the draft avoider publicly sneered at the valorous POW history of an American who had voluntarily joined the military in order to serve during a time of war.

Imo, there's a hell of a difference these days between the Democratic Party and the MAGA Republican Party.

I am EXACTLY the voter you should fear losing. The Retrumplican party is shrinking and the numbers of guys like me are growing. Just look at Super Tuesday exit polls, over 20% will not vote for Trump and half of those will vote for Biden, like me.

And voters like me cancel you out. I despised Bush jr whom you probably loved and the Tom Delay, Newt Gingrich and Mitch McConnell types grated me to no end and were the type of asshole Republicans who made me question why I would consider leaving the Democrat party back when I was starting to lose faith in them. Trump, for as irritating as it is having to listen to him, brought about a new era of populism to the Republican party that almost completely decoupled it from the nasseauting brand of neoconservatism that I loathed. You might think I'm a one off but I can tell you there are numerous more just like me who finally found a place once Trump steered the GOP away from the warmongering bible thumpers that use to dominate the party and moved it closer to the Bill Clinton type of populism that once endeared the American middle class to the Democrat party.

Of course you can question if any of this is true but I will simply point you to the voters in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania back in 2016 and ask what they all had in common and what endeared them to Trump.

Trump/maga will flush through. You'll have a home back there before you know it. There will not be a replacement cult leader. He is their one and only one. Maga dies with trump. The upshot is, when this all goes away, the GOP may very well be more malleable for the future for you to build on.

And voters like me cancel you out. I despised Bush jr whom you probably loved and the Tom Delay, Newt Gingrich and Mitch McConnell types grated me to no end and were the type of asshole Republicans who made me question why I would consider leaving the Democrat party back when I was starting to lose faith in them. Trump, for as irritating as it is having to listen to him, brought about a new era of populism to the Republican party that almost completely decoupled it from the nasseauting brand of neoconservatism that I loathed. You might think I'm a one off but I can tell you there are numerous more just like me who finally found a place once Trump steered the GOP away from the warmongering bible thumpers that use to dominate the party and moved it closer to the Bill Clinton type of populism that once endeared the American middle class to the Democrat party.

Of course you can question if any of this is true but I will simply point you to the voters in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania back in 2016 and ask what they all had in common and what endeared them to Trump.
He voted with you. So how do you cancel him out exactly? If you see it that way then fine, because he is on my side now. you cancel him out but you used to cancel me out and now you don't. Sleep well.

He voted with you. So how do you cancel him out exactly? If you see it that way then fine, because he is on my side now. you cancel him out but you used to cancel me out and now you don't. Sleep well.

lol

Well, now I'm just confused. But I cancel someone out dammit.

Trump has a populist appeal on economic issues that the Democrats have not been so good on; there are a lot of people in this country feeling left behind, and rightly so. But Trump just followed the GOP line of tax cuts for the wealthy; he has done nothing to help the average American economically. On top of that, he has plied a nativist, anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant agenda. Immigrants are not the ones taking food from the working poor in this country; they've just been made the scapegoat by the billionaire supported GOP.

Back
Top Bottom