• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Today was the last straw for me

I have been patient with all the nonsense coming from the GOP and their blind devotion to Trump. I have waited for the reality of his actions to sink in, the 4 indictments, the 91 charges against America, the lies, the misleading statements and his childish behavior. I truly thought the party will wake up and realize what a destructive force he has become and how his followers are just as guilty. I have suffered through people like MTG, Bobert, Gaetz and Johnson that are clearly unwilling to save America along with the likes of folks like McConnell who would rather quit than fight.

I have always felt it was enough to just be a Never-Trump Republican, it was not. Today, putting a clearly unqualified DIL of Trump in as co-chair of the RNC without questioning her motives was just too much. The sheep have spoken and I no longer wish to have my name associated with them.

This morning I had my records dropped from the roles of our state GOP and changed my party affiliation to Democrat, my new card is on the way. I never thought I would see the day after 46 years voting red until 2020. Donald, this is on you.
So you rushed to embrace a party that has perverted society, targets children, has completely ****ed the economy, shit n every majority minority community in every major city across the country, STILL embraces the COVID idiocy, has made a disaster of foreign policy, and has literally created an invasion of up to 15 million illegal immigrants from all around the globe...more than the accumulated population of 10 states...which are bankrupting every city they land in ...because your feelings were hurt?

And this 'just' happened?

Not true. Biden is a centrist, more or less, and a decent person who has experience with and knowledge of American politics. He also abides by norms, rules, regs, laws, and the Constitution.

Nor is he a serial liar.

Moreover, he's not putin puppet, which, sad to say, cannot be said of trump and an increasing number of Republican politicos. THIS alone should dissuade anyone from voting for trump.
Putin puppet and Orban apprentice.

So you rushed to embrace a party that has perverted society, targets children, has completely ****ed the economy, shit n every majority minority community in every major city across the country, STILL embraces the COVID idiocy, has made a disaster of foreign policy, and has literally created an invasion of up to 15 million illegal immigrants from all around the globe...more than the accumulated population of 10 states...which are bankrupting every city they land in ...because your feelings were hurt?

Do you need a safe space? You seem awfully triggered that someone chose a party that you didn’t agree to.

Should we all check with you before changing parties? Or are you just butthurt when someone leaves yours?

Nope, the party of Trump has been pushing some of us out since 2016.

IMO, the best way to look at this is not you leaving the GOP; it’s the GOP that left you. They left me a long time ago. I’ve been “party free” for some time, and I can tell you peace of mind will come from supporting ideas, not political parties. FWIW.
Sorry, but I thought you were the party of Trump.

Didn't happen.
The Democrats, politically or ideologically, have nothing a Republican would support.
Yeesh, that is the BEST comeback you can come up with??

I have been patient with all the nonsense coming from the GOP and their blind devotion to Trump. I have waited for the reality of his actions to sink in, the 4 indictments, the 91 charges against America, the lies, the misleading statements and his childish behavior. I truly thought the party will wake up and realize what a destructive force he has become and how his followers are just as guilty. I have suffered through people like MTG, Bobert, Gaetz and Johnson that are clearly unwilling to save America along with the likes of folks like McConnell who would rather quit than fight.

I have always felt it was enough to just be a Never-Trump Republican, it was not. Today, putting a clearly unqualified DIL of Trump in as co-chair of the RNC without questioning her motives was just too much. The sheep have spoken and I no longer wish to have my name associated with them.

This morning I had my records dropped from the roles of our state GOP and changed my party affiliation to Democrat, my new card is on the way. I never thought I would see the day after 46 years voting red until 2020. Donald, this is on you.
That was the last straw for you? That was the thing that finally made you realize you're a Democrat ad that you hate America? Well good for you!! If your goal is to feel better about yourself and to have all your feelings affirmed then the Democrat party is unquestionably for you.

I guess you'll really go through the roof if he wins...
IF............................................ Biden wins, image the bleating we heard today will be like nothing to the bleating we will hear.

Congratulations tony or stony whichever you prefer. Seriously, I admire your honesty about what trump has done to the gop and refuse to go along with the craziness. I'm sorry your party has abandoned you and many like you just for being honest about trump. Maybe after this loss the gop will wake up?

Didn't happen.
The Democrats, politically or ideologically, have nothing a Republican would support.
Really? The way I see it, on domestic issues at least, the GOP (or at least its rightmost wing) 1- routinely predicts catastrophe at new things from Social Security to Medicare to Obamacare. 2- Then it offers sometimes useful amendments. 3- Finally, it winds up defending the programs it opposed, as the population accepts them. Witness the ACA: we had fears of “death panels,” then “repeal and replace,” and now, despite some noises here and there from Trump, it seems to me that there is nothing doing.

I applaud your decision to leave the GOP. I, too, left the GOP after the second Bush election. Every vote indeed counts. However, the underlying issue is not Trump himself, as he is beyond redemption. My concern lies with those who enable Trump. His influence could have been decisively contained, and while some might have lost their seats in the election, it would have been a small sacrifice for the sake of our country. Regrettably, very few among the upper echelons of GOP leadership have been willing to step forward and confront Trump.

Diving Mullah

I have also voted for republicans during my lifetime.

Making sure that our democracy survives, though, is job 1 at the moment. Making sure politicians respect voters and elections and none of this immunity bullshit.

Then, if the Republican Party can get beaten down far enough, maybe they grow back into a better party somehow. Then we can all take another look in 10-20 years.

Really? The way I see it, on domestic issues at least, the GOP (or at least its rightmost wing) 1- routinely predicts catastrophe at new things from Social Security to Medicare to Obamacare. 2- Then it offers sometimes useful amendments. 3- Finally, it winds up defending the programs it opposed, as the population accepts them. Witness the ACA: we had fears of “death panels,” then “repeal and replace,” and now, despite some noises here and there from Trump, it seems to me that there is nothing doing.
That was McCain that submarined the ACA repeal and the proposed legislation was really pretty good but, as has been typical with the GOP establishment, they are more interested in fluffing their Democrat friends than they are in dealing with the very real problems we vote them in to address.

I can totally understand backing away from the GOP. I did that myself in 2005 or 2006 but flipping to Democrat....no way.

Congratulations for seeing the light.

The Republican party left me during the Bush regime. I initially got swept away in all the jingoism, but after it became clear that I could not support their lie after lie after lie, not to mention the Republicans irrational hatred of gay people, they walked away from me.

I've voted Democratic ever since and never regretted such a vote. (y)

That was McCain that submarined the ACA repeal and the proposed legislation was really pretty good but, as has been typical with the GOP establishment, they are more interested in fluffing their Democrat friends than they are in dealing with the very real problems we vote them in to address.

I can totally understand backing away from the GOP. I did that myself in 2005 or 2006 but flipping to Democrat....no way.
Stop blaming McCain, it was all on Trump who couldn't bring himself to reconcile with and old, dying member of congress. He put his ego over the interest of those he serves. He knew McCain was a no vote and only put fuel on the fire. In the long run the ACA has been a lifesaver to millions.

Didn't happen.
That depends on what kind of a Republican it is. If you are too conservative to feel any affinity to the moderate wing of the Dem party, there is always the Libertarian party or Constitution party. If you are more of a moderate or centrist or 'pragmatic' then you will still seek a party which will find compromise and laud solution based policies, that will lead you towards the centrist wing of the Democratic party which you may not have been far from in the first place. . I am surprised Libertarian membership has not gone up since MAGA turned up.

I do feel for Republicans in this situation because the ideal situation was the party that they chose and supported for so long. Its just so far away now that its hard to imagine closing the ideological and policy gap, especially when the fundamental problems deal with ethics, the definition of patriotism and plain old common decency. I can't imagine what this is like.

Last edited:

Congratulations. Welcome to the fold.

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but why wasn't Jan 6th the final straw?
Three years of right-wing media whitewashing.

They know their audience.

Intentional, irony?

A significant factor behind the Nazis taking power was the social and economic situation in post-Versailles, depression-era Germany. Hyperinflation, anyone?
More significant was the weakness of the Weirmar government, coupled with the lack of democratic tradition among the German people - Germany had always been led by an authoritarian; falling back on this during the difficulties of living at the time period and the inefficacy of the democrtic state was very easy for them to do.

None of that applies today, in the US.
I think you are right. Trump presents a significant danger to our values as a democracy and republic. But as I have stated, tho he will slow our responses to environmental issues and make it harder on working people, any move towards his more authoritarian measures per his promises will meet with resistance in the courts and in the streets. My one fear is that he might follow through on trying to use the military to enforce his ideas when they meet resistance, esp if that resistance includes some crazy antifa-like actions, which will give some cover to a violent Trump response.

Didn't happen.
You're wrong. This is about the overall lasting wellbeing of America. Keeping Trump and MAGA away from power is the number one objective. I am speaking for myself but would wager @istony feels the same way. This is about defeating corruption, autocracy and conspiracy nuts. It's about keeping a criminal fraud, sexual assaulter out of the WH.

Republicans/Conservatives (Christian Nationalists) are taking America off the cliff. FGS, Trump is meeting with a dictator today at Mar-A-Lago. Why do you suppose he's doing that? To play golf, or maybe get some pointers on how to stay in office for life?

Because I am active in politics and work with my party. I facilitate meetings, knock on doors and work with the likes of Mitt Romney. I can't sit on the sidelines, you take a stand and get involved.
Ok, so you aren't a Republican or a Democrat. You are a CIA asset. Because that is who Romney worked for just before he ran for President. Did you know that? I bet not.

Back
Top Bottom