• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Time to change Election Procedure?

I think two weeks before the election is excessive. The Post Office used to be better than that.

The fact that the Electoral College even exists points out that the Founding Fathers recognized the rights of the states to govern their voting. The bit of anxiety we are experiencing right now is not enough to just wipe out history with some "uniform" law, bound to be found unconstitutional by any clear thinking jurist.
One week is not enough to make much of a running count.

It is the running count I want, not an efficient span.

I don't know about the Constitutionality of my proposal, it doesn't have the exposure of first or Second Amendment rights.

We're not getting rid of the EC, okay? If you thought this through or took a basic civics class, you'd understand why the founders decided to have it in the first place. It has helped to ensure rural states with low populations have an equal voice.
Getting rid of the E.C. seems to be related to a desire to eliminate all of those uneducated/rural/deplorable/etc. Americans from getting a say in the voting process and the elimination of the E.C. is the only way the Superior Voters can overrule their votes.

imho Roseann:)

There is a mountain of evidence of fraud. Do you want that fraud to NOT be investigated?

There is not even an anthill of evidence of fraud.

Do you know what helped the rural states with low populations have an equal voice back when the electoral college was first apportioned?

I'll go make the popcorn, be back in a few, and since you brought it up, you tell me.

Getting rid of the E.C. seems to be related to a desire to eliminate all of those uneducated/rural/deplorable/etc. Americans from getting a say in the voting process and the elimination of the E.C. is the only way the Superior Voters can overrule their votes.

Next the self-appointed elitists will attempt to cut blue state funds off to those lowly miscreants.

Ha! So much for the fake pretense that they care about those who are less fortunate than them.

There is a mountain of evidence of fraud. Do you want that fraud to NOT be investigated?

(I know the Trump hating media is determined not to investigate. They are just denying the evidence exists.)

There was a court challenge in 2000 and the court ruled. Are you saying this should happen now? Why not?

Show us this mountain of evidence.

I'll go make the popcorn, be back in a few, and since you brought it up, you tell me.
The electoral college was originally apportioned using the 3/5ths ~compromise.

There won’t be any votes to overrule because they won’t have any incentive to vote in the first place when they figure out that it doesn’t matter.

So you're sure there was monkey business going on then?
I think there was some crap going on but enough to change the election? Who knows but the stuff that is coming out needs to be investigated so that people can have trust in the election.

If it hadn't been 4 years filled with shit that the Democrats and the media put Trump through viciously accusing him and his administration of unfounded accusations that today some yahoos still believe the lies. Russia Russia Russia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ........ I don't trust them as far as I could throw one. So let the investigations continue, and the court cases. There are two recounts that have to occur and that is going to take at least two weeks. That gives the Trump campaign time to investigate these serious allegations of fraud.

There is absolutely no reason for difficulty in counting votes...unless the difficulty is deliberate.

Colorado has had all mail in voting for eight years now and we didn't have any problem counting votes this time around either. Any other state could have copied our system and they wouldn't have any problems.

No...we don't need to change our election procedures. We just have to prevent the crooks from using the system for their own corrupt, illegal ends.
As a fellow Coloradan, I agree with much of your sentiment. I do have to wonder why you chose to leave out that Trump and the GOP fought against providing more funding for mail-in voting back in March/April with the CARES Act. Were you against providing funding for mail-in voting in other states to help them put into place similar measures to what we have in Colorado?

We need to quit thinking of the election as a day, and more as a event. Most places have early voting and most now have mail in voting. All of this make "election day" obsolete.

It should be like April 15th...the day tax season ends. If your taxes are postmarked by that day, you have now penalties. Same should hold true of ballots.

We should stop expecting results in a few hours. That was a thing when we had way less voters. It does not work as well with close to 200 million people voting.

We need to quit thinking of the election as a day, and more as a event. Most places have early voting and most now have mail in voting. All of this make "election day" obsolete.

It should be like April 15th...the day tax season ends. If your taxes are postmarked by that day, you have now penalties. Same should hold true of ballots.

We should stop expecting results in a few hours. That was a thing when we had way less voters. It does not work as well with close to 200 million people voting.
I would like to see more states do mail-in voting, count the votes as they come in (or at least a couple weeks early, like Colorado does), and prevent this delay we had this year. If some states' populations do not believe mail-in voting works, let it be a four day weekend with polling stations open all four days and votes counted at the end of each day for a few hours.

People like him on the right believe there was a " mountain" of fraud because Trump started telling them that mail in voting is nothing but full of fraud
There has been no evidence that there was any , and IF there is it is going to be a really small amount it isn't going to matter.
and the funny thing is they are saying there is fraud in the Dem, areas of these states and not any at all in the Republican parts
over all my years I have noticed that it usually is the people that are the ones that cry about something like this that are the ones doing it
as for PA , they have a Republican controlled Gov. and decided that none of the votes that were mailed in could be counted till election day, so they had a lot of them and it takes a long time to count all the mail in votes
They and any other states that did the same thing should count them as they come in and all this would have been done and over with by now
God Bless America
Have a nice night

I think there was some crap going on but enough to change the election? Who knows but the stuff that is coming out needs to be investigated so that people can have trust in the election.

If it hadn't been 4 years filled with shit that the Democrats and the media put Trump through viciously accusing him and his administration of unfounded accusations that today some yahoos still believe the lies. Russia Russia Russia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ........ I don't trust them as far as I could throw one. So let the investigations continue, and the court cases. There are two recounts that have to occur and that is going to take at least two weeks. That gives the Trump campaign time to investigate these serious allegations of fraud.

I agree. I have my own anecdotal evidence of election "carelessness" but am not sure if it qualifies for fraud. I don't think it does. We were sent mail-in ballots by the state of CA. We weren't ever going to use them. We kept them, and were told to hand them in if we decided to vote in person or vote absentee, the former my husband did, the latter I always do.
We drove to the polls on election day like we do every year if we are not out of the country traveling Hubby is ready to go vote inside the polls. They never asked him for his Newsom generated mail-in vote that they had the responsibility to destroy before he was granted permission to vote. Fast forward to me.. I also got a handy, dandy, Newsom we don't want you to vote at the polls ballot, but I also got my absentee ballot like I do every year. Nobody asked for my Newsom stay at home ballot. How do the polls not know WYH we did with our other two ballots? Did they automatically assume these two ballots would not be put in the hands of a crooked voter? IMO, the pollsters should have demanded we turn over our Newsom generated ballots before they allowed us to vote.

Last edited:
No link, no article, just thoughts,

But after this debacle and waiting etc, wouldn't this be the time to entertain some kind of change,

While each state has their own rules, there should be some uniformity among those rules, so crap like this doesn't happen.

I'm not really talking about voter ID, or eligibility, or purging voter roles etc, but mainly the counting.

Yes, it's a long process, made harder by the pandemic, but my god, we knew this was coming 7 months ago, and this was the best that could do?

Absentee votes, must be received by XXXX time on XXXX date.

Mail in votes, must be received by XXXX time on XXXX date.

While everyone has that, there is no uniformity to it, ie, PA says it's ok 2 days past, while TX says no, while CA says **** it, count it all etc....(obvious hyperbole alert)

Count all the votes, that's the object, count them accurately and timely, it shouldn't be this hard.
Federal elections should be governed solely by Federal rules, while State and local elections should be governed by individual State rules in accordance with both State and Federal Constitutions.
Any votes not cast in person should be few and for predefined reason, and received by the Friday prior to election day, counted on the Monday and posted immediately when the polling stations open on Tuesday. Votes should be checked, and rechecked if necessary, and counted as received and totals updated centrally within each State immediately. Within hours after the polls close, the final totals should be confirmed and reported. Federal election results should, with rare exception, be finalized by 0100 Wednesday morning, and the EV count, winner take all, applied determining which candidate will be sworn in as President come January.

(I know the Trump hating media is determined not to investigate. They are just denying the evidence exists.)

There was a court challenge in 2000 and the court ruled. Are you saying this should happen now? Why not?

Show us.

People like him on the right believe there was a " mountain" of fraud because Trump started telling them that mail in voting is nothing but full of fraud
There has been no evidence that there was any , and IF there is it is going to be a really small amount it isn't going to matter.
and the funny thing is they are saying there is fraud in the Dem, areas of these states and not any at all in the Republican parts
over all my years I have noticed that it usually is the people that are the ones that cry about something like this that are the ones doing it
as for PA , they have a Republican controlled Gov. and decided that none of the votes that were mailed in could be counted till election day, so they had a lot of them and it takes a long time to count all the mail in votes
They and any other states that did the same thing should count them as they come in and all this would have been done and over with by now
God Bless America
Have a nice night
That is Republican controlled Government

Federal elections should be governed solely by Federal rules, while State and local elections should be governed by individual State rules in accordance with both State and Federal Constitutions.
Any votes not cast in person should be few and for predefined reason, and received by the Friday prior to election day, counted on the Monday and posted immediately when the polling stations open on Tuesday. Votes should be checked, and rechecked if necessary, and counted as received and totals updated centrally within each State immediately. Within hours after the polls close, the final totals should be confirmed and reported. Federal election results should, with rare exception, be finalized by 0100 Wednesday morning, and the EV count, winner take all, applied determining which candidate will be sworn in as President come January.
I would not post them until the polls close in their state
If you post them when the polls open it might sway some people to vote for who ever is ahead
Have a nice night

As a fellow Coloradan, I agree with much of your sentiment. I do have to wonder why you chose to leave out that Trump and the GOP fought against providing more funding for mail-in voting back in March/April with the CARES Act. Were you against providing funding for mail-in voting in other states to help them put into place similar measures to what we have in Colorado?

Those states don't need funding to pass laws and create processes.

I agree. I have my own anecdotal evidence of election "carelessness" but am not sure if it qualifies for fraud. I don't think it does. We were sent mail-in ballots by the state of CA. We weren't ever going to use them. We kept them, and were told to hand them in if we decided to vote in person or vote absentee, the former my husband did, the latter I always do.
We drove to the polls on election day like we do every year if we are not out of the country traveling Hubby is ready to go vote inside the polls. They never asked him for his Newsom generated mail-in vote that they had the responsibility to destroy before he was granted permission to vote. Fast forward to me.. I also got a handy, dandy, Newsom we don't want you to vote at the polls ballot, but I also got my absentee ballot like I do every year. Nobody asked for my Newsom stay at home ballot. How do the polls not know WYH we did with our other two ballots? Did they automatically assume these two ballots would not be put in the hands of a crooked voter? IMO, the pollsters should have demanded we turn over our Newsom generated ballots before they allowed us to vote.
Some of the irregularities in Michigan sound really bad. A former Republican officer was watching the returns for his county and noticed how low Trump's numbers were in an area that he had a lot of support. So he made a few phone calls and was told they had a glitch in the software they were using and said they have since repaired it. They had to recount the ballots and it gained over 6,000 more votes for Trump and other Republican candidates.. There are over 40 counties that used the same software. This is something that needs to be investigated.

In PA there is a whistleblower at the post office he works. He said there was a vat of ballots show up with no postmark. He told his people to run them through on either the 2nd or the 3rd two days after the election. That needs to be investigated. In PA like all states election laws are created by the legislature yet a judge changed them to allow more time to accept ballots and count them. That is not his lane, if they wanted to change the laws it should have been an emergency vote in the legislature. That's a case for the SC.

There are dozen of things that are out there but if Biden ends up the victor, when will the media start to vet him? Not anytime soon. The media is still calling Trump a racist, a homophobic, yada.... yet Trump broke all records for Republicans in the Black, Hispanic and Gay vote. I am tired of their shit.

Next the self-appointed elitists will attempt to cut blue state funds off to those lowly miscreants.

Ha! So much for the fake pretense that they care about those who are less fortunate than them.
[/QUOTE

Yes, those self-appointed elitists will treat the lowly blue voter miscreants living in blue states who gave them Power just like all the other lowly miscreants.

The fake pretense about caring for those less fortunate was just a ruse to get Power to put all of the lowly miscreants into subjection.

Surprise! Self-Appointed Elitists look down on anyone not in the Elitist Crowd! The masses are all lowly miscreants and will be put into subjection.

I would not post them until the polls close in their state
If you post them when the polls open it might sway some people to vote for who ever is ahead
Have a nice night

Then have them counted and verified unchangeable, updating the total with them immediately after all other votes have been counted and verified unchangeable.
In any event, changes need be made.
I'm having a great morning - GMT+7

Some of the irregularities in Michigan sound really bad. A former Republican officer was watching the returns for his county and noticed how low Trump's numbers were in an area that he had a lot of support. So he made a few phone calls and was told they had a glitch in the software they were using and said they have since repaired it. They had to recount the ballots and it gained over 6,000 more votes for Trump and other Republican candidates.. There are over 40 counties that used the same software. This is something that needs to be investigated.

link please.

There won’t be any votes to overrule because they won’t have any incentive to vote in the first place when they figure out that it doesn’t matter.
Republicans living in California know about that feeling every time they vote.

I rather suspect the Freedom loving States when they figure that out...may stop voting but they also may get busy protecting their States from subjection?

No link, no article, just thoughts,

But after this debacle and waiting etc, wouldn't this be the time to entertain some kind of change,

While each state has their own rules, there should be some uniformity among those rules, so crap like this doesn't happen.

I'm not really talking about voter ID, or eligibility, or purging voter roles etc, but mainly the counting.

Yes, it's a long process, made harder by the pandemic, but my god, we knew this was coming 7 months ago, and this was the best that could do?

Absentee votes, must be received by XXXX time on XXXX date.

Mail in votes, must be received by XXXX time on XXXX date.

While everyone has that, there is no uniformity to it, ie, PA says it's ok 2 days past, while TX says no, while CA says **** it, count it all etc....(obvious hyperbole alert)

Count all the votes, that's the object, count them accurately and timely, it shouldn't be this hard.

That would accomplish nothing.

The only thing that would work is requiring people vote in person have a government ID, the voting machine requires their fingerprint and takes a picture of the voter. All voters must sign in and provide the last 4 numbers of their social security number OR government ID.

Only sworn absentee ballots limited to military personnel, people in the hospital, and people in jail for misdemeanors etc are allowed, must be sworn under oath to the excuse for voting absentee, must have the person's fingerprint on it and a photo of the person attached plus the last 4 numbers of their social security card or government ID. All must be received by election day - period. No exceptions. Ballot harvesting is illegal and absentee ballots may only be deposited with the USPS, the military if in the military which MUST mail no later than the next day, or at a polling location.

All polling places would have video cameras without audio that can see all voters faces - but not how they vote.

All absentee ballots must be preserved. All must bear the voters signature.

This would assure legitimate and truthful elections and results.

Early voting is only for 1 week before election day. The same rules must be nationwide under federal law. Any election fraud, person who casts an illegal ballot or failure of an election official to comply with the law is a minimum of no-parole 5 years in federal prison. If an election official of more than 1 vote or individual of more than 10 votes, the minimum is a no-parole mandatory 10 years and a maximum of 25 years - plus required to make restitution for any and all costs involved in trying to undo the fraud - and the total costs if fraudulent votes could have shifted the outcome - requiring a new election within 2 weeks.

US Marshalls, federal police, Homeland Security and/or the FBI should have one officer at every vote tabulating election office for any city/county with a population over 10,000.

Back
Top Bottom