• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Time to change Election Procedure?

sjmay

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
No link, no article, just thoughts,

But after this debacle and waiting etc, wouldn't this be the time to entertain some kind of change,

While each state has their own rules, there should be some uniformity among those rules, so crap like this doesn't happen.

I'm not really talking about voter ID, or eligibility, or purging voter roles etc, but mainly the counting.

Yes, it's a long process, made harder by the pandemic, but my god, we knew this was coming 7 months ago, and this was the best that could do?

Absentee votes, must be received by XXXX time on XXXX date.

Mail in votes, must be received by XXXX time on XXXX date.

While everyone has that, there is no uniformity to it, ie, PA says it's ok 2 days past, while TX says no, while CA says **** it, count it all etc....(obvious hyperbole alert)

Count all the votes, that's the object, count them accurately and timely, it shouldn't be this hard.

I might be wrong, SJ (okay, I'm likely wrong), but I think the states have control over it in order to keep the federal government from controlling the whole thing, itself. It's sort of a check against federal corruption. And yes, I know that states can be corrupt, too, but it would be more difficult to corrupt all fifty states than to corrupt the single federal government. But again, I might be wrong about that.

If you don't want the wait, you should be mad at Trump for pressuring GOP-controlled states to not start counting until after the election, among other things.

If all states were required to count mail-ins as they came in, it'd take care of a great deal of the wait. And there's an upside for Trumpists: that'd be yet another thing you could use to claim fraud every time you lose.

But after this debacle and waiting etc, wouldn't this be the time to entertain some kind of change,

While each state has their own rules, there should be some uniformity among those rules, so crap like this doesn't happen.

I'm not really talking about voter ID, or eligibility, or purging voter roles etc, but mainly the counting.

Yes, it's a long process, made harder by the pandemic, but my god, we knew this was coming 7 months ago, and this was the best that could do?

While everyone has that, there is no uniformity to it, ie, PA says it's ok 2 days past, while TX says no, while CA says **** it, count it all etc....(obvious hyperbole alert)

Count all the votes, that's the object, count them accurately and timely, it shouldn't be this hard.
There is absolutely no reason for difficulty in counting votes...unless the difficulty is deliberate.

Colorado has had all mail in voting for eight years now and we didn't have any problem counting votes this time around either. Any other state could have copied our system and they wouldn't have any problems.

No...we don't need to change our election procedures. We just have to prevent the crooks from using the system for their own corrupt, illegal ends.

My wife and I were in Paris in December of 2000. Bush V Gore had just been settled.

The French, and just about everyone else was laughing at us.

How is it that the country that has spent much of its history lecturing others about freedom and democacy can’t manage to run an election

A few week before the 2000 election, the EU conducted Parlimentary elections. Seventeen countries voted at once. It was done on a Saturday. Everyone knew the results before the night was out.

If seventeen sovereign nations in an international organization can agree on standarized elections, there’s no practical reason why the United States can’t do so while protecting the sovereignty of the states.

The fault is entirely political. Of course, we can do better. Just about every democracy does now. The real question is whether we want to or not.

We got the chaotic mess of an election because of the chaotic and entirely political process of fighting over how to run an election in the middle of a pandemic.

We already had chaos in the White House. The disease spread.

There is absolutely no reason for difficulty in counting votes...unless the difficulty is deliberate.

Colorado has had all mail in voting for eight years now and we didn't have any problem counting votes this time around either. Any other state could have copied our system and they wouldn't have any problems.

No...we don't need to change our election procedures. We just have to prevent the crooks from using the system for their own corrupt, illegal ends.
Colorado starts processing and counting ballots upon receipt. Like someone else already pointed out, if Republicans would not have blocked this, then all states could have done this very logical step to prevent these ridiculous delays.

I agree with your statement on election procedures. But where you fail is there are no crooks using the system. There is no proof of any fraud or mishandling of the election and there never has been. Remember 2000? You thought that was fair, right?

I agree with your statement on election procedures. But where you fail is there are no crooks using the system. There is no proof of any fraud or mishandling of the election and there never has been. Remember 2000? You thought that was fair, right?
There is a mountain of evidence of fraud. Do you want that fraud to NOT be investigated?

(I know the Trump hating media is determined not to investigate. They are just denying the evidence exists.)

There was a court challenge in 2000 and the court ruled. Are you saying this should happen now? Why not?

Emily actually is correct. The Constitution was written with very specific instructions to make all elections controlled by the states, not the federal government. America's problem is Donald Trump, not the election process. He did not want to be President. He wanted to be a dictator. He does not care about the Constitution. He only cares about himself.

My plan would be to have a uniform system administered by individual states.

1) Mail in ballots must be postmarked two weeks before the election.

2) Ballots are counted and updated from two weeks before the election along with early voting.

3) By election day we know the score.

You know what's funny? I actually don't remember 2000. It was the first election I could vote in but since I was in the Persian Gulf the entire time that the election was happening on an aircraft carrier that couldn't hit port from the time the Cole got hit (October) until Christmas (we could literally only go onto the peer), all our news was from satellite feed on the military news networks. I vaguely knew it was decided by a SCOTUS decision, but it really wasn't that important at that time. I wanted Gore to win.

It is interesting though how our priorities really do change with different settings and situations in our lives.

This election needs to end. The vast majority know that there is not this widespread voter fraud Trump and his supporters are claiming. Biden is winning because the American people are tired of Trump. We want an adult as our leader, not a narcissist who behaves like a toddler when anything doesn't go his way.

I feel that there are specific rules in place already.... people keep adding stuff to change what is constant.

2 ways to basically vote right.

1) In person
2) Absentee ballot

To get an absentee ballot, you register and your state mails you a ballot at your request?

Now we want to do this Mail in ballot as a mainstream? @Mycroft is there a difference from an absentee ballot to a mail in ballot in your state?

What I mean is California specifically stated they will mail Ballots to ALL registered voters? Regardless if you go in to votes, Alive, Dead, not living in the state. If your name is on the voter registration you get a mailed ballot right? This is just asking for discrepancies on ballots. Thats millions of printed ballots. This reminds me of the fraud with the McDonalds hash brown packets during the Monopoly game. They mass print MILLIONS of them and workers were stealing them to give to friends and family to try and win stuff.

Randomly mailing ballot to a flawed voter list is one thing. Randomly mailing ballots period is another issue?

Why not leave it alone.

You want to vote in person, vote in person

You want to vote by mail? File for a legitimate absentee ballot and be done with it.

Why do we have to have all these different rules for each state, Just keep it constant....

All votes made by election day deserve to be counted and all mail in votes need to be recorded when they come in. Anything less is nothing but political gerrymandering. This waiting until election day to open the envelopes is the cause of most of the delays.

Thing is, to get rid of the electoral college or the other arcane laws, we have to amend the Constitution, something that's impossible in today's climate.

I like what Nebraska did. They have 5 electoral votes, so they divided the state into 5 sections and each section gets 1 electoral vote. It's an excellent work around that a state can do without altering the Constitution.

Every State should just adopt Colorado's system. It's that easy.

Colorado starts processing and counting ballots upon receipt. Like someone else already pointed out, if Republicans would not have blocked this, then all states could have done this very logical step to prevent these ridiculous delays.

I feel that there are specific rules in place already.... people keep adding stuff to change what is constant.

2 ways to basically vote right.

1) In person
2) Absentee ballot

To get an absentee ballot, you register and your state mails you a ballot at your request?

Now we want to do this Mail in ballot as a mainstream? @Mycroft is there a difference from an absentee ballot to a mail in ballot in your state?

What I mean is California specifically stated they will mail Ballots to ALL registered voters? Regardless if you go in to votes, Alive, Dead, not living in the state. If your name is on the voter registration you get a mailed ballot right? This is just asking for discrepancies on ballots. Thats millions of printed ballots. This reminds me of the fraud with the McDonalds hash brown packets during the Monopoly game. They mass print MILLIONS of them and workers were stealing them to give to friends and family to try and win stuff.

Randomly mailing ballot to a flawed voter list is one thing. Randomly mailing ballots period is another issue?

Why not leave it alone.

You want to vote in person, vote in person

You want to vote by mail? File for a legitimate absentee ballot and be done with it.

Why do we have to have all these different rules for each state, Just keep it constant....
1. We have all these different rules for each state because of our Constitution and because various states make their rules for their own reasons.
2. You mention registered voter lists...yes, for some states that seems to be a problem. It's not much of a problem for Colorado. Perhaps some states LIKE to have crappy lists. (you know...so they have a way to easily commit fraud)
3. Even with Colorado's mail in vote system, anyone...even if they receive a ballot in the mail...can refuse to vote by mail and proceed to vote in person. It is not mandatory to mail a ballot back to the county.

I don't want to change the Constitution. What I want is for the VOTERS in the various states to tell their governments to do it right...and do it legal...like Colorado did. We had an election and the PEOPLE decided to create a mail in vote system.

Thing is, to get rid of the electoral college or the other arcane laws, we have to amend the Constitution, something that's impossible in today's climate.

I like what Nebraska did. They have 5 electoral votes, so they divided the state into 5 sections and each section gets 1 electoral vote. It's an excellent work around that a state can do without altering the Constitution.
States can also agree to sending electors for the winner of the popular vote. Only a few more States to go before that becomes a reality.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/written-explanation

So negative, everything is a conspiracy against republicans. How did the thinking of the gop become so warped?

1. We have all these different rules for each state because of our Constitution and because various states make their rules for their own reasons.
2. You mention registered voter lists...yes, for some states that seems to be a problem. It's not much of a problem for Colorado. Perhaps some states LIKE to have crappy lists. (you know...so they have a way to easily commit fraud)
3. Even with Colorado's mail in vote system, anyone...even if they receive a ballot in the mail...can refuse to vote by mail and proceed to vote in person. It is not mandatory to mail a ballot back to the county.

I don't want to change the Constitution. What I want is for the VOTERS in the various states to tell their governments to do it right...and do it legal...like Colorado did. We had an election and the PEOPLE decided to create a mail in vote system.
Sometimes we have to adapt because of the situations we have.

That is part of life, part of being human beings, adapting. Even the frickin military seems to understand that. Which is probably why Trump is losing support with the military.

So negative, everything is a conspiracy against republicans. How did the thinking of the gop become so warped?
You can thank the actions of the Trump haters.

(And it's not a conspiracy against the republicans...it's against Trump.)

Sometimes we have to adapt because of the situations we have.

That is part of life, part of being human beings, adapting. Even the frickin military seems to understand that. Which is probably why Trump is losing support with the military.
Ummm...

You'll have to explain what "adapt" is all about.

Ummm...

You'll have to explain what "adapt" is all about.
Or, you could simply look up the definition of the term, and become enlightened. Your call, of course. Have a great weekend.

Our presidential voting system is a mess. The whole country should go mail-in. If you are registered to vote you get a ballot sent to you, period. Voting starts october the first for the whole country and no more ballots will be counted that are received after october the thirty first. Count them as they are returned instead of waiting for election day. At worst we'll all be playing under the same rules instead of a mishmash of rules.

You can thank the actions of the Trump haters.

(And it's not a conspiracy against the republicans...it's against Trump.)
Have you not figured out yet that it is Trump's actions, words, and deeds that are 'hated'? Not Trump the human being?

Back
Top Bottom