• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The world's most succinct argument FOR the minimum wage.

MrWonka

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
In the United States of America, we have raised the minimum wage more than twenty separate times since the 1930s, and still, as recently as just a few years ago we had unemployment rates under 5% and falling.
If raising the minimum wage killed jobs the way right-wing dip shits claim it does then there should be no jobs left in America whatsoever.

The truth is we have so many jobs available in America that when things are going well we need about 10 million undocumented immigrants to help us do all the jobs that we have.

Even in some situations where manufacturing jobs choose to go to Mexico or China to get cheaper labor it really doesn't matter at all because there are other types of jobs being created to make up the slack. The problem isn't a lack of jobs at all, it's that those jobs don't pay very well which we can fix by raising the minimum wage.

Imagine for one second that 10 million additional manufacturing jobs that Republicans claim we're losing because of high wages actually magically came back to America. Who would even do them? Within the next year or so unemployment will likely fall back down close to 4% and at that point we wouldn't have the available
workers necessary to fill an additional 10 million jobs. So what the **** are you people even talking about?

ya min wage should exist and be raised by gov.

just not too much.

7$ does seem too low to me. its 15$ in my city in canada

if reds dont like 15 then go for 12 or something at least

In the United States of America, we have raised the minimum wage more than twenty separate times since the 1930s, and still, as recently as just a few years ago we had unemployment rates under 5% and falling.
If raising the minimum wage killed jobs the way right-wing dip shits claim it does then there should be no jobs left in America whatsoever.

The truth is we have so many jobs available in America that when things are going well we need about 10 million undocumented immigrants to help us do all the jobs that we have.

Even in some situations where manufacturing jobs choose to go to Mexico or China to get cheaper labor it really doesn't matter at all because there are other types of jobs being created to make up the slack. The problem isn't a lack of jobs at all, it's that those jobs don't pay very well which we can fix by raising the minimum wage.

Imagine for one second that 10 million additional manufacturing jobs that Republicans claim we're losing because of high wages actually magically came back to America. Who would even do them? Within the next year or so unemployment will likely fall back down close to 4% and at that point we wouldn't have the available
workers necessary to fill an additional 10 million jobs. So what the **** are you people even talking about?
Hi Mr Wonka. Do you think the Congressional Budget Office is a bunch of "dipshits"?

the most succinct argument is to work as a server in a red state on a Tuesday night when nobody shows up. then don't spend the ten bucks all in one place.

Hi Mr Wonka. Do you think the Congressional Budget Office is a bunch of "dipshits"?
Only half. More likely they're just self-centered shit bags who don't give a shit about anybody but themselves.

Raising the MW a few cents every few years is a whole lot different than DOUBLING it in a year or two. Business that work on thin margins may be able to accomodate a dime or quarter an hour wage hike over time with small price hikes but almost doubling wages, and don’t forget OTHER employment costs, e,g. FICA are based on wage so those costs also increase.

the most succinct argument is to work as a server in a red state on a Tuesday night when nobody shows up. then don't spend the ten bucks all in one place.
WHAT!! I thought everybody in red states were burning their masks and jamming bars six deep every day.

WHAT!! I thought everybody in red states were burning their masks and jamming bars six deep every day.

There are militantly maskless people in at least one red state.

There are militantly maskless people in at least one red state.
“militantly massless” I like that!! Well done.

Only half. More likely they're just self-centered shit bags who don't give a shit about anybody but themselves.
So.... If the "most succinct argument in favor of a MW hike" is an ad hominem fallacy against the people who point out inconvenient effects of that policy....

.... That's not, actually, a very compelling argument in favor of a MW hike. :-/

So.... If the "most succinct argument in favor of a MW hike" is an ad hominem fallacy against the people who point out inconvenient effects of that policy....
No, the ad hominem is just contained within the argument. It's kind of like dunking on someone when you could have easily just gone with a lay-up.

Obviously, since you have offered two posts and failed to address the reality of my argument in either one of them it's pretty clear my argument is every bit as flawless as I already knew it was.

No, the ad hominem is just contained within the argument. It's kind of like dunking on someone when you could have easily just gone with a lay-up.

It was your argument. It was the entirety of your argument.

Obviously, since you have offered two posts and failed to address the reality of my argument in either one of them it's pretty clear my argument is every bit as flawless as I already knew it was.
It's a logical fallacy 🤷 other than pointing that out, there's nothing to address.

Raising the MW a few cents every few years is a whole lot different than DOUBLING it in a year or two.
It would be five years, but given that we haven't raised it at all in over a decade it seems we're long overdue.

Business that work on thin margins may be able to accomodate a dime or quarter an hour wage hike over time with small price hikes but almost doubling wages, and don’t forget OTHER employment costs, e,g. FICA are based on wage so those costs also increase.
and how would they address the problem slowly, but not quickly? The problem is still the same. They can choose to raise their prices or eat the cost out of profit. The choice is no different.

Keep in mind though with millions of Americans getting a raise they will be able to afford a slightly higher cost of goods and services. Not too high though because your competition might not go that high.

It would be five years, but given that we haven't raised it at all in over a decade it seems we're long overdue.

and how would they address the problem slowly, but not quickly? The problem is still the same. They can choose to raise their prices or eat the cost out of profit. The choice is no different.

Keep in mind though with millions of Americans getting a raise they will be able to afford a slightly higher cost of goods and services. Not too high though because your competition might not go that high.
Still a huge financial hit for businesses operating on 3-4% margins. Oh, snd there is no “problem”. Most MW workers are young, part timers, learning basic skills on their first jobs. The move on to more productive jobs and newbies take their place.

It was your argument. It was the entirety of your argument.
Bwhahahahahhaahahah!!!!

Three posts and you still can't come up with a single retort. God damn, you people are pathetic.

Explain how we can raise the minimum wage 20+ times since the 1930s and yet still have unemployment rates under 5%?
You can't can you? If these raises kill jobs then how could we possibly still have a job for virtually every American that wants one?

Bwhahahahahhaahahah!!!!

Three posts and you still can't come up with a single retort. God damn, you people are pathetic.

To what? All you've offered thus far is "people who point out inconvenient facts are poopy heads".

Explain how we can raise the minimum wage 20+ times since the 1930s and yet still have unemployment rates under 5%?

What do you think that unemployment rate measures?

Still a huge financial hit for businesses operating on 3-4% margins.
No, it's not, because if your margins are actually that low then you can just raise your prices. Since all your competitors have to follow the same laws you do they will have to raise their prices too.

Most MW workers are young, part timers, learning basic skills on their first jobs. The move on to more productive jobs and newbies take their place.
Well, that's a bald-faced lie. Tell me, does McDonald's close when school is in session? Oh no that's right, they are open from 7 am to 3 pm when all those teenagers are still in school. That means they got a whole bunch of adults working those shit wages too.

To what? All you've offered thus far is "people who point out inconvenient facts are poopy heads".
Bwahahahahahahahah!!!!

Four posts and you're still desperately trying to ignore the argument you can't rebuttal. Even when it's restated for you. Just go to bed, and let the adults talk if this is all you got.

What do you think the unemployment rate measures?
The number of people who are looking for jobs and can't find them. As of just a few years ago that rate was 5% and falling. We had more job openings available than at any point in all of American history under Obama. We didn't have enough qualified workers to fill them.

If all the jobs you deluded wackos think got shipped to Mexico came back, who is going to do them? We already have 10 million undocumented workers in this country because we don't have enough workers to do the jobs we already have.

Please do try and address the argument with your 5th ****ing post or stop wasting my time.

No, it's not, because if your margins are actually that low then you can just raise your prices. Since all your competitors have to follow the same laws you do they will have to raise their prices too.
You don’t have a clue, do you?

MrWonka said:
Well, that's a bald-faced lie. Tell me, does McDonald's close when school is in session? Oh no that's right, they are open from 7 am to 3 pm when all those teenagers are still in school. That means they got a whole bunch of adults working those shit wages too.
You come up with the stupidest shit. I’m citing Bureau of Labor Statistics data. I have no idew what outhouse you dig your nonsense out of.

You don’t have a clue, do you?
You're the one failing to offer anything that resembles a counterargument here.

You come up with the stupidest shit. I’m citing Bureau of Labor Statistics data. I have no idew what outhouse you dig your nonsense out of.
It's a simple question. Does McDonald's close between 7 am and 3 pm when high school is in session? Nope. Turns out there is a shit load of adults making minimum wages.

About 60% of the states have minimum wages higher than the federal level or have passed a measure to increase it above the federal level already. We had full employment in spite of this before the pandemic.

Complaining that raising it will kill jobs doesn't seem to be valid.

Then if as you claim MW results in lower unemployment why don't we raise it to the level that completely eliminates unemployment? What would that number be?

Raising the MW a few cents every few years is a whole lot different than DOUBLING it in a year or two. Business that work on thin margins may be able to accommodate a dime or quarter an hour wage hike over time with small price hikes but almost doubling wages, and don’t forget OTHER employment costs, e,g. FICA are based on wage so those costs also increase.
This is why most states and even Congressional Democrats have suggested raising the minimum wage over time. Those states that have raised their minimum wage have used a graduated scale over a few years to get to the $15/hr wage rate. The federal government has typically placed raising the minimum wage at some point in the future, i.e., 5-years out, as opposed to making it immediate. So, why Republicans have a problem with this is rather baffling to me. Their only rational argument seems to be they want the minimum wage rate to remain at the state-level because this drives competition between the states for hiring prospects.

Then if as you claim MW results in lower unemployment why don't we raise it to the level that completely eliminates unemployment? What would that number be?
I made no such claim. My argument is that raising the minimum wage has little to no impact on the number of jobs available.

I made no such claim. My argument is that raising the minimum wage has little to no impact on the number of jobs available.
Well the rate was under 5% but not because of minimum wage. I don't think it's the number of jobs that are available that matters but who gets the job. If I own a business and have to pay everybody $15/hr that ei drastically change who I hire. Also I pass the additional labor costs onto the customer.

Back
Top Bottom