• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The world's most succinct argument FOR the minimum wage.

Dude, they do not vote, get that through your head, they do not vote. If you think living in SoCal since 1961 among Mexicans of all stripes was remotely affected by their votes than you do not know the history of this migration at all. The GOP lost the Latino vote in the 90s through Prop 187. That ended the debate for them and for all of us who understood what was really going on.

I'm sure you're aware with your "DP veteran" status you aren't allowed to use language intended to demean such as "dude".

I'm sure you're aware with your "DP veteran" status you aren't allowed to use language intended to demean such as "dude".

I apologize, did not pay attention to your profile, please forgive me.

No need for apology - even the DP rules and regulations page indicate I'm not in one of their listed "protected" demographics - so open season.

They have all raised their minimum wages over the years. Britain, Canada, Australia, NZ and lo and behold, business did not collapse. It can be done. America should have been doing it all along. If small businesses suffer, sometimes they get government subsidies. Big businesses do not, because they can weather it. Now what's the objection again?
LOL, you do understand that requiring subsidies in the ultimate sign that the wage hikes DIDN’T WORK, right? The public has to pay higher prices AND pay the taxes to fund those subsidies. Sorry - total fail.

LOL, you do understand that requiring subsidies in the ultimate sign that the wage hikes DIDN’T WORK, right? The public has to pay higher prices AND pay the taxes to fund those subsidies. Sorry - total fail.
Not because subsidies are evil per se, but because the wage hikes are overdue. It would only be a temporary stop gap and we're only floating what-ifs here. Tax dollars are routinely spent on fat more wasteful projects.

In any case blame thd GOP for letting it fester so long. They've been the main obstacle to wages keeping up with inflation. Bottom line, if it had kept up it would be $23 dollars by now. Raising the minimum wage hasn't put anyone out of business in Canada or New Zealand and price increases are never so huge as a result that people stop buying.

Last edited:
Not because subsidies are evil per se, but because the wage hikes are overdue. It would only be a temporary stop gap and we're only floating what-ifs here. Tax dollars are routinely spent on fat more wasteful projects.
But, subsidies are a wage loss for others. And if you think any government is going to reduce spending on those wasteful projects to finance MW hikes I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.
uptower said:
In any case blame thd GOP for letting it fester so long. They've been the main obstacle to wages keeping up with inflation. Bottom line, if it had kept up it would be $23 dollars by now. Raising the minimum wage hasn't put anyone out of business in Canada or New Zealand and price increases are never so huge as a result that people stop buying.
Nonsense. First off wages under Trump increased faster than it had in recent years. Unless you’ve soent years studying Canada and New Zealand’s economy you really can’t make this claim. Secondly, did either of those country basic DOUBLE MW over four years. It’ that type of hike that caused the prices to jump.

Secondly, did either of those country basic DOUBLE MW over four years. It’ that type of hike that caused the prices to jump.

No they went more slowly, but they went consistently, which is where America falls behind. Fact is wages have to rise. Maybe that can be applied more drastically to businesses with over a certain number of staff, to spare mom and pop shops some of the shock, I dunno. But wages cannot be artificially held down in defiance of inflation forever, because 'The Market' (that is influential employers who want to be stingy) decrees it so.

No they went more slowly, but they went consistently, which is where America falls behind. Fact is wages have to rise. Maybe that can be applied more drastically to businesses with over a certain number of staff, to spare mom and pop shops some of the shock, I dunno. But wages cannot be artificially held down in defiance of inflation forever, because 'The Market' (that is influential employers who want to be stingy) decrees it so.
Wages HAVE risen, median household earnings set new records, for instance. wages grew at the highest rate in a decade; AND wages at the bottom lead the way.
I don’t know what it’s like in the countries you cite but less than 2% of workers earn the MW here. Half of them are young people working their first job - mostly in the food service and retail sales field. Even in those fields most workers are earning well above the MW. And many will move up to higher paying positions as they gain experience and marketable skills. Walmart just raised IT’S minimum wages to $13-$19 That’s how wages SHOULD be adjusted, not by some $3000 suit-wearing politician who’s never had a real job or actually managed a payroll.

Wages HAVE risen, median household earnings set new records, for instance. wages grew at the highest rate in a decade; AND wages at the bottom lead the way.
I don’t know what it’s like in the countries you cite but less than 2% of workers earn the MW here. Half of them are young people working their first job - mostly in the food service and retail sales field. Even in those fields most workers are earning well above the MW. And many will move up to higher paying positions as they gain experience and marketable skills. Walmart just raised IT’S minimum wages to $13-$19 That’s how wages SHOULD be adjusted, not by some $3000 suit-wearing politician who’s never had a real job or actually managed a payroll.
Nah I'm happy letting government keep employers from exploiting those at the bottom, and keeping wages from falling too far behind inflation. Without a hundred years of labor law who knows how low wages would be?

What effect do you think that would have on restaurant prices, and, as a result, whether or not lower income workers will be able to afford them, v restaurants becoming a luxury of the upper/middle classes?

Oh please. Most other countries have min wage for waitresses and restaurants are not a luxury of the upper class. The real world laughs at your melodrama.

Oh please. Most other countries have min wage for waitresses and restaurants are not a luxury of the upper class. The real world laughs at your melodrama.
:) I like how you didn't answer the question.

In the United States of America, we have raised the minimum wage more than twenty separate times since the 1930s, and still, as recently as just a few years ago we had unemployment rates under 5% and falling.
If raising the minimum wage killed jobs the way right-wing dip shits claim it does then there should be no jobs left in America whatsoever.

The truth is we have so many jobs available in America that when things are going well we need about 10 million undocumented immigrants to help us do all the jobs that we have.

Even in some situations where manufacturing jobs choose to go to Mexico or China to get cheaper labor it really doesn't matter at all because there are other types of jobs being created to make up the slack. The problem isn't a lack of jobs at all, it's that those jobs don't pay very well which we can fix by raising the minimum wage.

Imagine for one second that 10 million additional manufacturing jobs that Republicans claim we're losing because of high wages actually magically came back to America. Who would even do them? Within the next year or so unemployment will likely fall back down close to 4% and at that point we wouldn't have the available
workers necessary to fill an additional 10 million jobs. So what the **** are you people even talking about?

Minimum Wage Laws are Job Killers.

Because it will kill the stepping stone for many to get a foothold in the job market... to acquire skills and needed experience... and thereby keep them dependent on government.

It sounds compassionate... but it’s not... and you don’t have to be familiar with the long history proving it... just think like a businessman...

You have no experience son... but you’d like a job here. Sorry son, for someone of your qualifications... the government has made it impossible for me to hire you.

The real Democratic Party's agenda is to push the value of blue collar wages to match the $3 per DAY of China by massive immigration and massive inflation.

:) I like how you didn't answer the question.
If you want your question answered why don't you google the price of a Big Mac in Australia where they have a $20 minimum wage.

If you want your question answered why don't you google the price of a Big Mac in Australia where they have a $20 minimum wage.
:) I don't have to - I spent a few months in Australia a couple of years ago, and visited McD's to see (everyone ordered via a kiosk).

So, what effect do you think that would have on restaurant prices, and, as a result, whether or not lower income workers will be able to afford them, v restaurants becoming a luxury of the upper/middle classes?

In the United States of America, we have raised the minimum wage more than twenty separate times since the 1930s, and still, as recently as just a few years ago we had unemployment rates under 5% and falling.
If raising the minimum wage killed jobs the way right-wing dip shits claim it does then there should be no jobs left in America whatsoever.

The truth is we have so many jobs available in America that when things are going well we need about 10 million undocumented immigrants to help us do all the jobs that we have.

Even in some situations where manufacturing jobs choose to go to Mexico or China to get cheaper labor it really doesn't matter at all because there are other types of jobs being created to make up the slack. The problem isn't a lack of jobs at all, it's that those jobs don't pay very well which we can fix by raising the minimum wage.

Imagine for one second that 10 million additional manufacturing jobs that Republicans claim we're losing because of high wages actually magically came back to America. Who would even do them? Within the next year or so unemployment will likely fall back down close to 4% and at that point we wouldn't have the available
workers necessary to fill an additional 10 million jobs. So what the **** are you people even talking about?
A minimum wage is unethical.

Back
Top Bottom