• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The supreme court just opened the flood gates to more government and corprete control

Re: The supreme court just opened the flood gates to more government and corprete con

And if Romney forced everyone to buy a gun because self defense is necessary for the public good the dems would be cool with that?

I think you've got it backwards. Future presidents and Congress will not need to require the purchase of a product. They merely tax those who choose not to purchase.

Does anybody here seriously think that this logic will not apply to other products in the very near future. Example: Energy efficient cars. Don't own one, you are taxed. Energy efficient home, as defined by the government. Don't own one, new tax. The new UV resistant clothing. Buy or be taxed the sunburn tax.

Re: The supreme court just opened the flood gates to more government and corprete con

The President can't pass a law without Congress' support.

If the past few weeks have shown anything, it is that an unscrupulous president has no need to pass a law. They will simply ignore the will of the public and Congress, who in general does not have the balls to fight. During the past week, SCOTUS upheld a major part of the Arizona law, Justice said they will not cooperate, without the use of the database, the law is useless. Congress voted impeachment of Holder. Justice said they will not prosecute.

And so it goes.

seriously? you expect a response to that?

play that game with someone else.
It's ok I know you can't refute my argument so it's fine

your argument is silly, absurd, and self-defeating.

it does all the work for me.

Fine, you wanna be all uber-pedantic with regard to the semantics of the question, even though only an idiot wouldn't understand the gist of it? Here:

What if Congress passed and the president signed a new law mandating the purchase of firearms and a "tax" if an individual did not purchase it.

Would you be okay with that?

Fine, you wanna be all uber-pedantic with regard to the semantics of the question, even though only an idiot wouldn't understand the gist of it? Here:

What if Congress passed and the president signed a new law mandating the purchase of firearms and a "tax" if an individual did not purchase it....

Congress DID pass a law mandating the purchase of firearms, in 1792.

With this decision to allow Obama care to stand the supreme court has constitutionalized a process that will lump every one into coverage so now individual behavior will affect the bottom line of the budget. To keep prices from ballooning you will see individual behavior begin to be regulated like it is in newyork with soda size. It also has created a dangerous president that says If a corporation can convince congress there product is necessary they can tax you into buyin it. So say goodbye to personal Health and economic choices.

BS, youngcon. This was a Republican idea right down to the individual mandate. It's a market-based alternative to universal health care. Your hyperbole is misplaced and makes you look silly.

folks are acting like Congress is going to require folks to buy apple juice, under penalty of a tax.

folks are acting like Congress is going to require folks to buy apple juice, under penalty of a tax.

They could

not..gonna...happen.
It just did happen.

The supremes just told the other two branches of government that subjects of the United States can be forced into private contracts to buy a private good or service. Given that, what are the limits to federal power? I cannot think of any.

Given that this is a supreme court precedent how do we undo it? I am open to suggestions. The only remedy that is certain is a revolution leading to despotism (the usual case) or a new government with a new Constitution.

Under what part of the ACA gives Congress that authority?
The same reason that Bloomberg banes sodas over 16 oz

...Given that this is a supreme court precedent how do we undo it? I am open to suggestions. The only remedy that is certain is a revolution leading to despotism (the usual case) or a new government with a new Constitution.

that is sedition.

The same reason that Bloomberg banes sodas over 16 oz

I'm not asking for a reason, I'm asking for the section of the ACA that gives Congress the authority to make people buy apple juice or whatever nonsense your trying to claim.

Big Govt. and Big Business have been fused into one illegitimate Leviathan. It will grow and grow and grow without end until it becomes Big Brother. I mean Big Brother in the Orwellian sense and not the Confucian sense. The decision in Roberts v. America opens the floodgates for Leviathan.

I'm not asking for a reason, I'm asking for the section of the ACA that gives Congress the authority to make people buy apple juice or whatever nonsense your trying to claim.

If every one is in the healthcare market then wouldn't they want to regulate behavior to ring cost Down like banning soda?

If every one is in the healthcare market then wouldn't they want to regulate behavior to ring cost Down like banning soda?

So you admit that you don't have any actual evidence to back up your claim. All you really have is partisan speculation about a health care policy that was designed by Republicans.

Because, this being a FREE MARKET solution, unhealthy behavior is now a matter between the patient, doctor and the insurance company.

Because, this being a FREE MARKET solution, unhealthy behavior is now a matter between the patient, doctor and the insurance company.

Not when a good chunk of the people will be on the government plan.

So you admit that you don't have any actual evidence to back up your claim. All you really have is partisan speculation about a health care policy that was designed by Republicans.

All I'm pointing out is that this law sets a dangerous precedent.

Back
Top Bottom