• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The supreme court just opened the flood gates to more government and corprete control

YoungConserv

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
With this decision to allow Obama care to stand the supreme court has constitutionalized a process that will lump every one into coverage so now individual behavior will affect the bottom line of the budget. To keep prices from ballooning you will see individual behavior begin to be regulated like it is in newyork with soda size. It also has created a dangerous president that says If a corporation can convince congress there product is necessary they can tax you into buyin it. So say goodbye to personal Health and economic choices.

Re: The supreme court just opened the flood gates to more government and corprete con

You hit the nail straight on the head. This is just the beginning of what will be the 21st Century version of the Intollerable Acts.

For those who slept through their US History I course in high school, the Intollerable Acts were a series of taxes and regulations put forth by King George against the Colonists in America. These regulations were the basis upon which the Sons of Liberty committed the act known as the Boston Tea Party and the Committies of Action began preparing for open Revolution against the Crown of England.

Re: The supreme court just opened the flood gates to more government and corprete con

They did open the door to all sorts of increased corporate control. You're absolutely right. Only this case didn't do that. American Tradition Partnership v. Bullock, decided on Monday, did that. Upholding Obamacare didn't really change anything in terms of what is or is not constitutional.

sure it did it constitutionalized forcible gooverment sponsorship of industrys.

They did open the door to all sorts of increased corporate control. You're absolutely right. Only this case didn't do that. American Tradition Partnership v. Bullock, decided on Monday, did that. Upholding Obamacare didn't really change anything in terms of what is or is not constitutional.

Not exactly.

With this decision to allow Obama care to stand the supreme court has constitutionalized a process that will lump every one into coverage so now individual behavior will affect the bottom line of the budget. To keep prices from ballooning you will see individual behavior begin to be regulated like it is in newyork with soda size. It also has created a dangerous president that says If a corporation can convince congress there product is necessary they can tax you into buyin it. So say goodbye to personal Health and economic choices.

hyperbole noted.

its not like the govt. is requiring folks to buy something useless, like a fountain pen.

hyperbole noted.

its not like the govt. is requiring folks to buy something useless, like a fountain pen.

Examples do not equal good arguments.

hyperbole noted.

No but say solindra comes up with a product that would help our energy markets and they then lobbied congress to pass a law that you must have this or pay a tax or penalty.

No but say solindra comes up with a product that would help our energy markets and they then lobbied congress to pass a law that you must have this or pay a tax or penalty.

not..gonna...happen.

not..gonna...happen.

You don't think the government would mandate that you buy energy saving light bulbs or some other product under the guise it will help us out? Funny how libs swear up and down that government is in bed with big business.

You don't think the government would mandate that you buy energy saving light bulbs or some other product under the guise it will help us out? Funny how libs swear up and down that government is in bed with big business.

force me to buy it? no.

they'll just ban incondescents.

hyperbole noted.

Useful/useless is completely 100% irrelevant. The issue is wanted/unwanted.

The average uninsured individual generates an average of ~$1000 in unpaid medical bills. That's $49 Billion in unpaid bills across 50 million uninsured.

The penalty for not purchasing health insurance ranges from $695 per indivudual to a maximum of $2095 per family. In other words, the penalty is a bit more than half the cost of remaining uninsured.

In contrast, the penalty for not purchasing health care under Romney is currently as high as $2148 per individual, or $5094 per family.

Is the Affordable Care Act really so ridiculous?

force me to buy it? no.

they'll just ban incondescents.

Isn't that forcing you to buy they other? I'm no rocket scientist but if you have two choices and I take away one I'm only giving you 1 choice which isn't choice by definition.

Isn't that forcing you to buy they other? I'm no rocket scientist but if you have two choices and I take away one I'm only giving you 1 choice which isn't choice by definition.

no, you can use candles.

u can use LED lights.

Some of the sexiest cars in the world are built by Citroen, a French manufacturer. You can't buy one in the USA. There are plenty of options though. Same goes for light bulbs.*

We've been breeding ourselves into a nanny state and will keep on doing so. The population when I was born was 137 million and is now 310 million. And that's just during my lifetime. So, some of you younger folks will see a population of 700 million when you are ready to retire and your kids will see a billion.

Its not reasonable to expect "freedom" when you have that many people around. Each passing year develops new laws, regulation, policing etc. It isn't pretty but it is what is.

* I have converted my whole house to LED and they are reasonably priced and put out much better light than CFL, as good as incandescent.

The average uninsured individual generates an average of ~$1000 in unpaid medical bills. That's $49 Billion in unpaid bills across 50 million uninsured.

The penalty for not purchasing health insurance ranges from $695 per indivudual to a maximum of $2095 per family. In other words, the penalty is a bit more than half the cost of remaining uninsured.

In contrast, the penalty for not purchasing health care under Romney is currently as high as $2148 per individual, or $5094 per family.

Is the Affordable Care Act really so ridiculous?
I'm not against health reform but I am against increasing power to government and limiting personal freedom. Also you are ignoring the increase in prices for those already insured as a result of this law.

And if Romney forced everyone to buy a gun because self defense is necessary for the public good the dems would be cool with that?

And if Romney forced everyone to buy a gun because self defense is necessary for the public good the dems would be cool with that?

The President can't pass a law without Congress' support.

this is true, sort of.

most lawmakers, and most constitutional scholars predicted the mandate would be overturned.

So most people did not feel such taxing power would be allowed. Now that they know they have this power, I expect more and more lawmakers will use it.

so yes, this was not ruled a new power, but to those that matter, it is considered a new way of using a previously held power.

Don't dance around the question.

Way to avoid an inconvenient point.

hyperbole noted.

So when is the feds going to take over car insurance which States require? Heck they are going to have the IRS check for health insurance, why not car insurance? It would only try to make drivers responsible people so those that have insurance are not paying for those that don't. But lets not impose on the current adminstrations friend, the illegal alien.:mrgreen:

Where you at now thunder you run away when u loose arguments?

Back
Top Bottom