• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Qur'an in three verses

The vast majority of Muslims ignore the violent parts of the Koran. I don't see what the problem is.

There have been literally tens of thousands of Islamic terrorist attacks this century. If you don't see that as a problem, fair enough. I do.

He is talking about the content of the religion, not the history of the people who claimed it.

religion has always been a common denominator for groups of people, and a call to arms.

Islam is the only one I can think of where it is spelled out in the writings of the religion.

You'd be wrong there.

'Violence more common' in Bible than Quran, text analysis reveals
The Old Testament was found to be more than twice as violent as the Quran

'Violence more common' in Bible than Quran, text analysis reveals | The Independent

There have been literally tens of thousands of Islamic terrorist attacks this century. If you don't see that as a problem, fair enough. I do.

The United States faces a growing terrorism problem that will likely worsen over the next year. Based on a CSIS data set of terrorist incidents, the most significant threat likely comes from white supremacists, though anarchists and religious extremists inspired by the Islamic State and al-Qaeda could present a potential threat as well. Over the rest of 2020, the terrorist threat in the United States will likely rise based on several factors, including the November 2020 presidential election.
The Escalating Terrorism Problem in the United States | Center for Strategic and International Studies

List of right-wing terrorist attacks - Wikipedia

Right-Wing Terror: A Fifth Global Wave?
https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/b...spectives-on-terrorism/2020/issue-3/auger.pdf
On Wednesday, the Anti-Defamation League released a report finding that attackers with ties to right-wing extremist movements killed at least 50 people in 2018. That was close to the total number of Americans killed by domestic extremists, meaning that the far right had an almost absolute monopoly on lethal terrorism in the United States last year. That monopoly would be total if, in one case, the perpetrator had not “switched from white supremacist to radical Islamist beliefs prior to committing the murder.”

The number of fatalities is 35 percent higher than the previous year, and it marks the fourth-deadliest year for such attacks since 1970. In fact, according to the ADL, white supremacists are responsible for the majority of such attacks “almost every year.” The 2018 attacks include the one at Pittsburgh’s Tree of Life synagogue by a man who blamed Jews for the migrant caravan, the mass shooting at a yoga studio by an “incel” obsessed with interracial dating, and the school massacre in Parkland, Florida, carried out by a student who wished that “all the Jews were dead.”

From 2009 through 2018, right-wing extremists accounted for 73 percent of such killings, according to the ADL, compared with 23 percent for Islamists and 3 percent for left-wing extremists. In other words, most terrorist attacks in the United States, and most deaths from terrorist attacks, are caused by white extremists. But they do not cause the sort of nationwide panic that helped Trump win the 2016 election and helped the GOP expand its Senate majority in the midterms.

Peter Beinart: Trump shut programs to counter violent extremism

When white extremists kill, politicians do not demand that they be racially profiled. They do not call for bans on white people coming to the United States. They do not insist that white people’s freedom of movement be restricted, their houses of worship be surveilled, their leaders be banned from holding public office, or their neighborhoods be “secured” and occupied by armed agents of the state. And they do not demand that taxpayers foot the bill for a massive, symbolic monument that will register America’s official disdain for white people in perpetuity.

And that’s how it should be. It would be immoral to collectively punish white people for the actions of a few extremists—and it would only raise the stature of those extremists, partially legitimize their grievances in the eyes of potential followers, and strengthen their ability to recruit future operatives for further attacks. But that’s not the reason none of those things happen. They don’t happen because, as America’s largest demographic group, white people have the political power and influence to prevent such proposals from even being contemplated. This is a form of political correctness so powerful that it shapes behavior without being mentioned or publicly acknowledged; it is simply the way things work.

Homegrown Terrorists in 2018 Were Almost All Right-Wing - The Atlantic

The United States faces a growing terrorism problem that will likely worsen over the next year. Based on a CSIS data set of terrorist incidents, the most significant threat likely comes from white supremacists, though anarchists and religious extremists inspired by the Islamic State and al-Qaeda could present a potential threat as well. Over the rest of 2020, the terrorist threat in the United States will likely rise based on several factors, including the November 2020 presidential election.
The Escalating Terrorism Problem in the United States | Center for Strategic and International Studies

List of right-wing terrorist attacks - Wikipedia

Right-Wing Terror: A Fifth Global Wave?
https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/b...spectives-on-terrorism/2020/issue-3/auger.pdf
On Wednesday, the Anti-Defamation League released a report finding that attackers with ties to right-wing extremist movements killed at least 50 people in 2018. That was close to the total number of Americans killed by domestic extremists, meaning that the far right had an almost absolute monopoly on lethal terrorism in the United States last year. That monopoly would be total if, in one case, the perpetrator had not “switched from white supremacist to radical Islamist beliefs prior to committing the murder.”

The number of fatalities is 35 percent higher than the previous year, and it marks the fourth-deadliest year for such attacks since 1970. In fact, according to the ADL, white supremacists are responsible for the majority of such attacks “almost every year.” The 2018 attacks include the one at Pittsburgh’s Tree of Life synagogue by a man who blamed Jews for the migrant caravan, the mass shooting at a yoga studio by an “incel” obsessed with interracial dating, and the school massacre in Parkland, Florida, carried out by a student who wished that “all the Jews were dead.”

From 2009 through 2018, right-wing extremists accounted for 73 percent of such killings, according to the ADL, compared with 23 percent for Islamists and 3 percent for left-wing extremists. In other words, most terrorist attacks in the United States, and most deaths from terrorist attacks, are caused by white extremists. But they do not cause the sort of nationwide panic that helped Trump win the 2016 election and helped the GOP expand its Senate majority in the midterms.

Peter Beinart: Trump shut programs to counter violent extremism

When white extremists kill, politicians do not demand that they be racially profiled. They do not call for bans on white people coming to the United States. They do not insist that white people’s freedom of movement be restricted, their houses of worship be surveilled, their leaders be banned from holding public office, or their neighborhoods be “secured” and occupied by armed agents of the state. And they do not demand that taxpayers foot the bill for a massive, symbolic monument that will register America’s official disdain for white people in perpetuity.

And that’s how it should be. It would be immoral to collectively punish white people for the actions of a few extremists—and it would only raise the stature of those extremists, partially legitimize their grievances in the eyes of potential followers, and strengthen their ability to recruit future operatives for further attacks. But that’s not the reason none of those things happen. They don’t happen because, as America’s largest demographic group, white people have the political power and influence to prevent such proposals from even being contemplated. This is a form of political correctness so powerful that it shapes behavior without being mentioned or publicly acknowledged; it is simply the way things work.

Homegrown Terrorists in 2018 Were Almost All Right-Wing - The Atlantic

So?

Does that mean there have NOT been tens of thousands of Islamic terrorist attacks in the world?

Whataboutism is one of the weakest forms of 'argument'.

So?

Does that mean there have NOT been tens of thousands of Islamic terrorist attacks in the world?

Whataboutism is one of the weakest forms of 'argument'.

Irony meters explode!

You'd be wrong there.

'Violence more common' in Bible than Quran, text analysis reveals
The Old Testament was found to be more than twice as violent as the Quran

'Violence more common' in Bible than Quran, text analysis reveals | The Independent

LOL!

This is the type of nonsense you post because you're too lazy to do the research yourself.

I have to leave in a couple of minutes, so I'll eviscerate this later. For now, just realize that the OT stories form the first 2/3 of the Qur'an. Everything in it applies equally to the three ABRAHAMIC religions. The bolded word is a clue. You clearly need one.

LOL!

This is the type of nonsense you post because you're too lazy to do the research yourself.

I have to leave in a couple of minutes, so I'll eviscerate this later. For now, just realize that the OT stories form the first 2/3 of the Qur'an. Everything in it applies equally to the three ABRAHAMIC religions. The bolded word is a clue. You clearly need one.

No chance. Carry on embarrassing yourself with your Islamophobia.

Pretty simple stuff. Jesus preached peace, Christians said nahhhh for about 1500 years.

the it looks like any religion is what any believers make of it and its dangerous when ever believers feel they should harm others in its name

the it looks like any religion is what any believers make of it and its dangerous when ever believers feel they should harm others in its name

Perhaps Steve thought that we didn't already know that.

The Qur'an has two very distinct 'Testaments'. The first is comprised of the surahs created in the first 12 years (610 - 622 CE) when Mohamed lived in his home city of Mecca. He spent those years trying to convert the pagans to monotheism and to accept him as God's messenger. His recruitment method was to endlessly recite Old Testament stories of God's wrath to them in a failed attempt to scare them into compliance. During that time he introduced almost nothing new to those stories, which meant that Islam to that point was indistinguishable from Judaism except for the fact that he was God's final prophet. The entire period can be defined by verse 29:68 "Who does more wrong than he who invents a lie against Allah or rejects the Truth when it reaches him? Is there not a home in Hell for those who reject Faith?".

The second (622 - 632 CE) began when Mohamed relocated to Medina, turned Islam into a warrior religion, and introduced all the rules that finally made Islam definable as a unique entity. He began raiding Meccan caravans and the wars were on. Verse 9:111 sums up God's expectations of his servants, "Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain.".

One thing that did not change was God's hatred of all things and people infidel the entire time. Verse 2:98 says it all, "Allah is the enemy of unbelievers".

Who cares. Christian sharia zealots have infiltrated every level of our government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who cares. Christian sharia zealots have infiltrated every level of our government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And most terrorist attacks in the US in the last ten years have been carried out by white Christian right-wingers but apparently that is not a problem, instead let's discuss this old holy book.

No chance. Carry on embarrassing yourself with your Islamophobia.

Let's review your responses:

1. Not one rebuttal of anything I've said.

2. Whataboutism.

3. And throw in an ad hominem attack.

Yup, that's the zyzygy trifecta. Your work is done here.

The vast majority of Muslims ignore the violent parts of the Koran. I don't see what the problem is.
Can you point out a Muslim who follows other parts of the Quran, but not the parts you call "violent"?

Pretty simple stuff. Jesus preached peace, Christians said nahhhh for about 1500 years.
The message Jesus came with is more complicated than you wish to think.

(Matthew 10:34-36) - "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35"For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household."
(Luke 12:51,52) - "Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; 52for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two, and two against three..."
(Luke 22:36) - "And He said to them, "But now, let him who has a purse take it along, likewise also a bag, and let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one."

Can you point out a Muslim who follows other parts of the Quran, but not the parts you call "violent"?

My local butcher, the bass player in our band, the leader of a djembe band who lives in our street and all the local Muslims. They have not risen up and slaughtered all the local infidels and they have no intention of doing so.

The problem there is that christians have only a couple verses in the entire new testament to ignore
Which begs the question, why are they ignoring nearly all of the New Testament if it is all so fitting and convenient?

My local butcher, the bass player in our band, the leader of a djembe band who lives in our street and all the local Muslims. They have not risen up and slaughtered all the local infidels and they have no intention of doing so.

Your local butcher — I assume he butchers the halal way — plays in a band? Music is haram in Islam. Which verses is he ignoring and are there any he's following then?

Your local butcher — I assume he butchers the halal way — plays in a band? Music is haram in Islam. Which verses is he ignoring and are there any he's following then?

No, the butcher is not a bass player. Two different people. Which verses he chooses to ignore is his own business. There is not one Christian who follows all the rules in the Bible otherwise they would be killing those who work on the Sabbath and killing their children when they are sassy. Do you ask your Christian friends which verses of the Bible that they ignore?

'If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and who, when they have chastened him, will not heed them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city. And they shall say to the elders of his city, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.” Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear.' (Deuteronomy 21:18–21

(Matthew 10:34-36) - "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35"For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household."
(Luke 12:51,52) - "Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; 52for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two, and two against three..."
(Luke 22:36) - "And He said to them, "But now, let him who has a purse take it along, likewise also a bag, and let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one."

Context is everything...Jesus was not speaking of a literal sword but of the division in some families that would result from believing in him and he was right...it continues down to this day...

Which begs the question, why are they ignoring nearly all of the New Testament if it is all so fitting and convenient?

Which begs the answer...a true Christian does not...

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off shall be admitted to the assembly of the LORD. Deuteronomy 23:1 NRSV
Whosoever ... hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookback, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken ... He shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries. Leviticus 21:17-23 KJV

Hello and welcome to DP.

Jesus may have said that, but he never used a sword himself or told anyone to do so. In fact, the only time there was any sword play near him, he put a stop to it and healed the wound of the person who was trying to arrest him.

Back
Top Bottom