• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The nature of replies to foreigners on this forum (and other forums)

So?

If someone's bi-lingual and their first language isn't even English I'm not going to be so snide as to hold that against them. Odds are if I tried to fully grasp their language I'd completely fail at it - poor grammar and bad spelling would be so common place.

If you personally have a problem with poor English then that's fine - but is that a real, solid reason to be rude or snide to someone if they're here with a question or out of curiosity?
I don't think so.

If you don't like it when people don't grasp the language then just don't engage them when they post.

i don't think he meant foreigners who misspell words..........

So?

If someone's bi-lingual and their first language isn't even English I'm not going to be so snide as to hold that against them. Odds are if I tried to fully grasp their language I'd completely fail at it - poor grammar and bad spelling would be so common place.

If you personally have a problem with poor English then that's fine - but is that a real, solid reason to be rude or snide to someone if they're here with a question or out of curiosity?
I don't think so.

If you don't like it when people don't grasp the language then just don't engage them when they post.
I was referring to native speakers.

My wife speaks English as a second language. I deal with that sort of thing on a daily basis.

I'm not pointing fingers, calling people out or saying names . . . I'm just discussing something I've noticed.

Why is it that when someone from another country comes to this forum - a serious debate forum (and other forums - this isn't the only one I've seen this happen in) - and asks a question or makes a statement, obviously wanting to satisfy curiosity or understand something that they don't get about American culture (etc etc, you get my point) . . . People seem compelled to respond to them with the most ridiculous and asinine comments?

I really don't care how stupid or silly their question, debate or issue might *seem* to us - we should still show others a bit of respect and at least take a serious effort at explaining the issue or answering their question.

You know - just maybe some people could grow up for a moment with their responses?
Perhaps if we all replied maturely and seriously to their comments and questions they might come away from their occasional shoulder-brush with Americans with a more favorable opinion.

Anyone agree or see what I see?

Honestly, I agree with you. And not to make excuses for that behavior but I think such obvious trolls as PeteEU, Maximus Zeebra, and other europeaners who come on here with clearly anti-American agendas have put most of the members of the forum on the defensive the minute they know someone is from Europe in particular.

Honestly, I agree with you. And not to make excuses for that behavior but I think such obvious trolls as PeteEU, Maximus Zeebra, and other europeaners who come on here with clearly anti-American agendas have put most of the members of the forum on the defensive the minute they know someone is from Europe in particular.

Yeah, but there's a lot of us who luvs y'all too! Just not unreservedly or uncritically. Frankly, I'd be a bit suspicious of anyone who expressed unreserved, uncritical adoration of Britain or Spain, lovable though we most certainly are.

Yeah, but there's a lot of us who luvs y'all too! Just not unreservedly or uncritically. Frankly, I'd be a bit suspicious of anyone who expressed unreserved, uncritical adoration of Britain or Spain, lovable though we most certainly are.

I understand that and you notice I don't hold an immediate bias toward europeaners like some people here. In fact, I love Europe. Except for France. France sucks.

I understand that and you notice I don't hold an immediate bias toward europeaners like some people here. In fact, I love Europe. Except for France. France sucks.

France is great! But the French really suck, really well!:mrgreen:

I've never said a bad thing about Andorra here and I never will.

It's a quite lovely place.

Back
Top Bottom