• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The National Debt Increased by 2 Trillion Dollars Since Trump Took Office

Thanks for making my point, your opinion which lacks data is the issue here and in order to blame someone for the debt one has to understand the line items and place blame where it belongs. You refuse to do that. I stand by my point, "Educate yourself" on the budget, on basic economics, civics because it doesn't appear you have a clue on those subjects. You cannot blame Trump for the deficit without a Trump budget approved?

Republicans caring about the deficit only when a Democrat is in the WH is personal opinion backed by nothing other than opinion. Obama added 9.3 trillion to the debt, more than Reagan, GHW and GW Bush combined so where was the outrage then. Trump has his first budget year 2018 and the deficit is up 20% none of which was due to his spending but all due to interest expense and entitlement mandatory cost of living increases. Raising the interest rates 4 times in two years caused that deficit but Trump is blamed for it. You don't see the hypocrisy there?

As for my knowledge of economics, again you make charges that you cannot back up. tell me where I am wrong when I posted official federal data IN CONTEXT?

You think that part time jobs for economic reasons are a successful economic policy because those numbers are included in the employment numbers touted by Obama supporters?

You think a job loss that returns is a new job created?

you think that people keeping more of what they earn hurts the American economy and you and your family?

You think that pro growth economic policies are anti American?

You think you can give a federal income tax cut to people who don't pay federal income taxes?

I am willing to learn where I am wrong but your opinion doesn't prove I am wrong, data will

Do you have this crap about Obama copied and pasted on your computer some where? so you can just spew the same old nonsense and partisan lies and Fox propaganda over and over and over and over. Give it a rest. When it comes to economics you're one of the least knowledgeable people on this site..

Debt and deficit is bad under any president. Including Trump so stop making excuses. it's going to be over a trillion-dollar deficit next year with no end in sight.

Have a nice day

Last edited:
As the OP data (yep actual data, which you claim is super duper important) points out - the national debt is rising by about $1T annually during Trump's watch (much as was happening during Obama's watch) You and many others are trying any (lame?) argument imaginable to proclaim that "Trump" debt as being somehow different. It is not different - it is caused, in the usual way, by deficit spending. Deficit spending occurs for one reason only - annual spending exceeds annual revenue.

You are right, Trump is responsible for the 4 interest rate hikes, the 565 billion in debt service which was part of the budget deficit attributed to Trump, no question about it all his fault. Deficit spending is being charged against Trump but no credit given to the record revenue generated nor the 2019 budget proposal with actual cuts. Sorry reality sucks

Do you have this crap about Obama copied and pasted on your computer some where? so you can just spew the same old nonsense and partisan lies and Fox propaganda over and over and over and over. Give it a rest. When it comes to economics you're one of the least knowledgeable people on this site..

Debt and deficit is bad under any president. Including Trump so stop making excuses. it's going to be over a trillion-dollar deficit next year with no end in sight.

Have a nice day

Pretty easy to copy and Paste just go to Treasury.org and find out the data. Highlight it, click on copy, and post. Always refutes the personal opinion of others as it is the official data and what taxpayers have to pay debt service on, not your opinions or media reports. Please tell me exactly what the lie is in my post?

You are right, Trump is responsible for the 4 interest rate hikes, the 565 billion in debt service which was part of the budget deficit attributed to Trump, no question about it all his fault. Deficit spending is being charged against Trump but no credit given to the record revenue generated nor the 2019 budget proposal with actual cuts. Sorry reality sucks

That sounds pretty much like the Obama line - situations beyond his control caused (or made necessary) the spending increases and/or caused revenue to fall short of "honest" projections. You have now decided to wade into the weeds and point out 'this or that' as the (entire?) cause of the deficit - $565B is less than the deficit of $779B and (as you keep telling us) federal revenue has increased. How, with a straight face, can you assert that "record revenue" did not at least cause the deficit to decrease? Could it be, just as I had said, that spending rose even more than that "record revenue" did?

BTW, it is already FY2019 and 'budget' projections say that the deficit will continue to rise. You must face the simple reality that deficit spending under Trump is going to remain in the $1T/year range and that is if we don't have another war or recession.

That sounds pretty much like the Obama line - situations beyond his control caused (or made necessary) the spending increases and/or caused revenue to fall short of "honest" projections. You have now decided to wade into the weeds and point out 'this or that' as the (entire?) cause of the deficit - $565B is less than the deficit of $779B and (as you keep telling us) federal revenue has increased. How, with a straight face, can you assert that "record revenue" did not at least cause the deficit to decrease? Could it be, just as I had said, that spending rose even more than that "record revenue" did?

BTW, it is already FY2019 and 'budget' projections say that the deficit will continue to rise. You must face the simple reality that deficit spending under Trump is going to remain in the $1T/year range and that is if we don't have another war or recession.

That ignores completely that Obama inherited an economy coming out of recession, a Democratic Congress that passed his stimulus almost day one and the failure of that stimulus to do what was promised. Compare that to the results Trump has generated. There was no budget when Obama took office but he signed that budget in March 2009 taking responsibility that no leftist wants to acknowledge.

Projections don't matter as they don't take into account economic activity nor the actual budget Trump proposed. Record revenue will never cause deficits to increase, they reduce deficits. It really is a shame how poorly informed far too many are. I have posted the numbers over and over only to be ignored. In addition there was NO budget for 2018 just like there isn't a budget for 2019 so how do you blame anyone for a deficit without an approved budget thus spending authority?

Here is a very good analysis of the budget for 2017

https://www.thebalance.com/how-trump-amended-obama-budget-4128986

From that analysis you will see that Trump spent less on discretionary spending than the budget authorized

Congress appropriate funds each year for agencies covered by the discretionary budget. For FY 2017, Congress appropriated $1.1 trillion, the limit set by sequestration. The Trump administration spent $1.08 trillion. It shifted spending from Education, Energy, and Housing to Defense, Health and Human Services, and the State Department.

There will be another analysis of the 2018 budget and my belief is you are going to see similar numbers proving again that it wasn't Trump that increased spending but rather actually reduced discretionary spending

That ignores completely that Obama inherited an economy coming out of recession, a Democratic Congress that passed his stimulus almost day one and the failure of that stimulus to do what was promised. Compare that to the results Trump has generated. There was no budget when Obama took office but he signed that budget in March 2009 taking responsibility that no leftist wants to acknowledge.

Projections don't matter as they don't take into account economic activity nor the actual budget Trump proposed. Record revenue will never cause deficits to increase, they reduce deficits. It really is a shame how poorly informed far too many are. I have posted the numbers over and over only to be ignored. In addition there was NO budget for 2018 just like there isn't a budget for 2019 so how do you blame anyone for a deficit without an approved budget thus spending authority?

Why are 'budget' projections ignored by you yet 'budget' proposals (which will never become reality - 75% of the FY2019 'budget" bills have already been passed and signed into law) are treated like a gold standard by you? The facts or, as you call them, 'actual numbers' do not lie - the national debt totals and annual deficit amounts speak for themselves. Failure to see those actual numbers for what they are or to try to TrumpSplain them into things that congress is unaware of or has no control over (when congress alone has 'budget' authority) is simply spewing partisan spin.

Why are 'budget' projections ignored by you yet 'budget' proposals (which will never become reality - 75% of the FY2019 'budget" bills have already been passed and signed into law) are treated like a gold standard by you? The facts or, as you call them, 'actual numbers' do not lie - the national debt totals and annual deficit amounts speak for themselves. Failure to see those actual numbers for what they are or to try to TrumpSplain them into things that congress is unaware of or has no control over (when congress alone has 'budget' authority) is simply spewing partisan spin.

Name for me a budget projection that has been right? I don't buy projections, I buy results for example as I posted. So tell me how spending less than appropriated in discretionary spending is justification for blaming the President for the deficit?

https://www.thebalance.com/how-trump-amended-obama-budget-4128986

Congress appropriate funds each year for agencies covered by the discretionary budget. For FY 2017, Congress appropriated $1.1 trillion, the limit set by sequestration. The Trump administration spent $1.08 trillion. It shifted spending from Education, Energy, and Housing to Defense, Health and Human Services, and the State Department.

The purpose of posting about budget proposals is quite obvious. if you are going to blame the President for the deficit then approve his budget and hold him accountable. That hasn't happened. How do you blame someone for something he didn't have the authority to do and with the authority he had he reduced spending?

Well, part of the problem is the last $2 Trillion has been during a booming economy, low unemployment, booming stock market, housing market is fine, low interest rates. No reason to run these kinds of deficits, and when we have the next recession, likely this year or next given historical trends (we're already overdue) those numbers get bigger, because we've already done the Keynesian tax cut stimulus to pour fire on an already red hot economy, and boost already record corporate profits.

That above is why I gave up on the GOP long ago and never have looked back. I used to consider myself a fiscal conservative, and was a Republican because of that, but the GOP is fiscally reckless. In fiscal matters, they only have three moves - cut taxes, cut taxes, and cut taxes.

Trump didn't control his 1st year of the Budget.. just like no new President does. It's set in September/October the previous year.. so his first term was Obama's budget. Trumps 2018 budget actually had $54b in cuts. With only increases in Defense, Homeland and Veterans. Congress screwed that up. Congress is the biggest problem.

The purpose of posting about budget proposals is quite obvious. if you are going to blame the President for the deficit then approve his budget and hold him accountable. That hasn't happened. How do you blame someone for something he didn't have the authority to do and with the authority he had he reduced spending?

Exactly, we haven't an up or down vote on a clean budget in YEARS.

The national debt doesn't matter if it is demoninated in dollars and/or owned by Americans. People should worry a lot more about private debt than government debt. Money you owe to yourself isn't really a debt, particularly when you have a money printing machine in the basement.

The national debt doesn't matter if it is demoninated in dollars and/or owned by Americans. People should worry a lot more about private debt than government debt. Money you owe to yourself isn't really a debt, particularly when you have a money printing machine in the basement.

30 percent of our debt is own by foreign governments and they get the interest expense paid by the taxpayers. That isn't insignificant amounts of money. This past year over 560 BILLION DOLLARS was paid by the taxpayers in debt service on the debt. How much of that did you get back for you and your family? How did that benefit the country?

Trump didn't control his 1st year of the Budget.. just like no new President does. It's set in September/October the previous year.. so his first term was Obama's budget. Trumps 2018 budget actually had $54b in cuts. With only increases in Defense, Homeland and Veterans. Congress screwed that up. Congress is the biggest problem.

Did you forget about the tax cuts, or don't those count in your analysis?

And, yes, of course Congress is the problem, and in this case it was a GOP Congress.... That was kind of my point.

And, yes, of course Congress is the problem, and in this case it was a GOP Congress.... That was kind of my point.

Tax cuts that grew revenue reduced the deficit not increased it and has pointed out if you are going to blame Trump for the deficit then give him the budget he wants and hold him accountable. The problem is the career establishment politicians in Congress on both sides that buy votes by kicking the can down the road. Let me know when Democrats did a better job with the deficit than Republicans, what year was that, 09-10-11-12?

The tax cuts were applied to 2018 budget as it passed in Nov 2017 (2018 Fiscal for US Government). Then you have this article from WaPo the other day.

The tax cuts were applied to 2018 budget as it passed in Nov 2017 (2018 Fiscal for US Government). Then you have this article from WaPo the other day.

I have no idea what your point is. Mine was the GOP cut taxes and increased spending, and we have higher deficits, after spending the 8 Obama years whining and crying about the awful, terrible deficits that will end the country as we know it. On the fiscal front, the GOP don't care about anything except delivering tax cuts to their donors, which they did.

And the article/editorial simply points out that the post tax cuts jobs trends were pretty much unchanged from the trends pre tax cut, except maybe wages bumped up slightly higher than they would have without the tax cuts, but offered no proof and said in fact that whether the tax cuts explain the labor force changes is "more than debatable."

And this is during a so-called great economy.

Nothing to use to soften the blow if the the economy turns downward.
It's all inherited from Obama - you guys have been saying Trump has done nothing but following Obama's enlightened guidance - there you go. :cool:

It's all inherited from Obama - you guys have been saying Trump has done nothing but following Obama's enlightened guidance - there you go. :cool:

No, the tax cuts weren't inherited from Obama, which were passed when the economy and stock market were booming, good jobs reports, etc. It was Keynesian fiscal stimulus applied to a very strong economy that if we were actually worried about deficits would have supported fiscal pullbacks, through the spending cuts the GOP always promise then forget about once they get power.

Bull****.

We've been saying that Trump took Obama's good economy and threw a hand grenade into it with his trade wars and his tax cuts and added debt leave us no room to soften the blow if we crash after the sugar high.

Try again. Better yet, don't. Practice probably won't make you any better.

The U.S. Treasury Dept has just issued this;

The National debt has increased 2 TRILLION dollars since Trump took office 2 years ago. This national debt is going to be a burden on your children and your grandchildren. The national debt now nearing 22 trillion dollars. Are we tired of all this 'winning' yet?

https://ktiv.com/2019/01/03/treasury-department-national-debt-nearing-22-trillion/

Treasury Department: National Debt nearing $22 trillion

(CNN) – The U.S. National Debt has reached a new high.

The Treasury Department released its latest numbers Thursday.

It says at the end of last year the National Debt stood at $21.974 trillion.

That’s more than $2 trillion higher than when President Donald Trump took office.

The debt has bounced up in part because of tax cuts passed at the end of 2017.

Don't tell our dear poster, Conservative. His view is that tax-cuts are paying for themselves -- bringing in far more revenue.

Don't tell Invividual-1 either. He said that he would payoff the debt in ten years.

Bullseye said:
It's all inherited from Obama - you guys have been saying Trump has done nothing but following Obama's enlightened guidance - there you go.
Bull****.

We've been saying that Trump took Obama's good economy and threw a hand grenade into it with his trade wars and his tax cuts and added debt leave us no room to soften the blow if we crash after the sugar high.

Try again. Better yet, don't. Practice probably won't make you any better.
A well deserved bitchslap!

Don't tell our dear poster, Conservative. His view is that tax-cuts are paying for themselves -- bringing in far more revenue.

Don't tell Invividual-1 either. He said that he would payoff the debt in ten years.

Tax cuts never have to pay for themselves as they aren't an expense, interesting how you keep cutting and pasting the same liberal lies over and over again

A well deserved bitchslap!

Amazing how that so called bitchslap was incredible outstanding economic results, just imagine how great the Obama results would have been had he left earlier, LOL. Amazing just how poorly informed you are and how jealous you are of what others have and somehow believe you are entitled to more of it

Tax cuts never have to pay for themselves as they aren't an expense, interesting how you keep cutting and pasting the same liberal lies over and over again
Then you should run over an let The Treasury Secretary, Steve Mnunchin, know that:

Back
Top Bottom