• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The Hereafter?

What is my immediate fate to be?

• ::poof:: You simply cease to exist.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Reincarnation as a person.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Reincarnation as another life-form (plant - animal).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You remain in a metaphysical stasis until a final Judgement Day.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • An immediate metaphysical disposition of Heaven or Hell.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Your essence simply rejoins the universe as diffuse energy.

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HTColeman said:
I follow neither Henry VIII nor the pope. I follow God, and I read the Bible for myself. Looking at that article, a couple things bothered me, it made a lot of assumptions, as if it is our responsibility to be the moral police of the world. We can only help people and tell them about God, God said that he will to the conversions, we just plant the seed. Also, about fraternal correction, they made it seem as though Matthew 18:15 justified correcting people that you think are doing wrong, but that is out of context. It says to talk to those who have wronged you, and tell them what they did against you. It is talking about conflict resolving, not judgement.

Matthew 18:15
15"If your brother sins against you,[a] go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over.
Henry VIII didn't live long enough to revise the Bible. His successor James took care of that chore for the Church of England.

Since you quoted James, what was I to think?

Those who take it upon themselves to interpret the Bible, any version, risk running afoul of the 'party line', as it were.

That's the reason there are thousands of religions that feature the word "Christian" in their name.

Fantasea said:
Henry VIII didn't live long enough to revise the Bible. His successor James took care of that chore for the Church of England.

Since you quoted James, what was I to think?

I quoted the KJV of the Bible, not K. James. HUGE difference, what Bible do you use?

Those who take it upon themselves to interpret the Bible, any version, risk running afoul of the 'party line', as it were.

So the best thing to do is follow the traditions of "those who know better than us", huh? Before you read the Bible, pray and ask God to help you understand what he wants you to know. You don't need a translator, your relationship with God is personal, one-on-one. I guarantee you will learn alot more from reading the Bible than reading a website about the Roman Catholic religion.

That's the reason there are thousands of religions that feature the word "Christian" in their name.

What is the reason, I don't understand your point.

HTColeman said:
I quoted the KJV of the Bible, not K. James. HUGE difference,
Was it not King James under whose auspices the King James version of the Bible was written? I don't see the difference.
what Bible do you use?
I don't own one.
So the best thing to do is follow the traditions of "those who know better than us", huh?
I'm not so arrogant as to believe that I can do a better job than learned theologians who make this their life's work.
Before you read the Bible, pray and ask God to help you understand what he wants you to know. You don't need a translator, your relationship with God is personal, one-on-one. I guarantee you will learn alot more from reading the Bible than reading a website about the Roman Catholic religion.
I respectfully submit that you are in no position to offer theological guarantees.
Quote:
Previously posted by Fantasea
What is the reason, I don't understand your point.
You do agree that there are thousands of religions which use the word "Christian" or a variation thereof in their names, don't you?

The reason for this is quite simple. Individuals, clergy, parishoners, church elders, take exception to the scriptural interpretations, dogma, practices, rites, or some facet of their religion and because the differences are irreconcilable, start a church of their own. Splits and splinters continue with ever increasing frequency.

Yes we are all endowed with free will and in terms of religion, folks will do whatever they wish. But, somehow, I don't think this is what Christ had in mind when He spoke those words to Peter, whose successor Benedict XVI is number 256 in the unbroken line.

When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some [say that thou art] John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed [it] unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (Matthew 16:13-19)

Do you think that this continuing proliferation of churches bearing His name is what Christ had in mind that day?

Back
Top Bottom