• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The height of hypocrisy......

Mary Kay LeTorneau went to prison and I believed served the usual sentence for most pedophiles, male or female. I really think these were just different legal circumstances (mother did not want a trial, , insanity plea , prosecutor accepting a plea bargain etc. ) ...legal loopholes that any good defense attorny can spin for their clients. To me it is just a travesty of our legal system where "justice" is bought with money or clever legal loopholes. (look at OJ Simpson.) I have to agree with World Champs on this one.

Navy Pride said:
You just don't get it....This woman was in a position of authority and trust and she violated that..........

Did the said event happen while she was on the job? If it did, I would say it is wrong, but if it happened some other time, and their both willing, I don't see a problem with it.

I'd still like to know why it's ok for a 14-year-old to have sex with another 14-year-old, but it's not ok for a 14-year-old to have sex with a 25-year-old.

DeeJayH said:
hate to break it to you, but the attorneys negotiate the Plea Bargain
But the Judge has to approve it
and real judges reject them all the time
Oh....so you know about this judge? Tell us all what you know that makes this judge not a "real" judge? Was the judge elected? Appointed? By whom? For how long? What is this judge's political party? Does this judge do this all the time?

C'mon enlighten us?

26 X World Champs said:
Oh....so you know about this judge? Tell us all what you know that makes this judge not a "real" judge? Was the judge elected? Appointed? By whom? For how long? What is this judge's political party? Does this judge do this all the time?

C'mon enlighten us?

does that mean you accept what stated about plea bargains as fact?
if so, maybe i will address the remarks you made that are OT for the post i made

FYI, i live 30 miles from Tampa, so i just might know a little bit more than you, in this specific case
and the community is OUTRAGED

happy thanksgiving, i am off to house hop, party to party
will try not to get back on, until i sobered up :2wave:

Binary_Digit said:
I'd still like to know why it's ok for a 14-year-old to have sex with another 14-year-old, but it's not ok for a 14-year-old to have sex with a 25-year-old.

hopefully this clears it up

IT IS NOT OK FOR 14 YEAR OLDS TO HAVE SEX

SO THE SECOND PART OF YOUR QUESTION IS therefore IRRELEVANT

The lowest age of consent in just about every state is 16

do they have sex younger?
most of them, yes
but it does not make it right
when i was a 14 i shoplifted. Did that make it right?

Binary_Digit said:

Because of our stupid Judeo-Christian taboos. Instead of telling yourself something's bad, you should ask yourself why it's bad? Did someone tell you it's bad? Question everything.

DeeJayH said:
hopefully this clears it up

IT IS NOT OK FOR 14 YEAR OLDS TO HAVE SEX

SO THE SECOND PART OF YOUR QUESTION IS therefore IRRELEVANT

The lowest age of consent in just about every state is 16

do they have sex younger?
most of them, yes
but it does not make it right
when i was a 14 i shoplifted. Did that make it right?
Ok, ignoring the fact that most 14-year-old girls in the 1800's were married and pregnant, illustrating that they are fully capable of sexual relations and bearing children at that age, let me rephrase the question. Why it's ok for a 16-year-old to have sex with another 16-year-old, but it's not ok for a 16-year-old to have sex with a 25-year-old?

DeeJayH said:
if so, maybe i will address the remarks you made that are OT for the post i made

FYI, i live 30 miles from Tampa, so i just might know a little bit more than you, in this specific case
That's nice, but you completely avoided answering any of my questions? Why? Since you're in the neighborhood you should be able to fill all of us in on the judge? Try again?

Tell us all what you know that makes this judge not a "real" judge? Was the judge elected? Appointed? By whom? For how long? What is this judge's political party? Does this judge do this all the time?

Navy Pride said:
aps, I have never try to defend the homosexual and pedophile priests and I doubt that any of them prosecuted got probation........

I can tell you no conservative priest would sentence this predator teacher to probation..........

Really? No conservative priest? LOL Let's talk about Bernard Law. He moved John Geoghan (a priest, in case you didn't know) to a new parish, even though he knew Geoghan had been removed from two other parishes for molesting children. We all know that Law is a conservative. Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. This disgusting human being allowed Geoghan to remain in the Catholic church and to continue molesting children. Geoghan was implicated in 130 cases of sexual abuse. Wow. This is what caused me to abandon the Catholic church.

And you know that it didn't stop there. Law was essentially forced to resign because he showed a pattern of ignoring evidence that a priest had molested children.

So you can guarantee that NO conservative priest would have sentenced this predator teacher to probation? Yeah right. I just proved otherwise, unless, of course, you think that a conservative priest would treat a teacher who had sex with a 14 year old diffrently than priests who molested children much younger than 14.

Shame on you.

DeeJayH said:
hate to break it to you, but the attorneys negotiate the Plea Bargain
But the Judge has to approve it
and real judges reject them all the time
especially one as absurd as this
the defense milked the fact that the kid did not want to endure anymore
the DA folded like a *****
A plea deal without jail time should never have been accepted
they may as well of never even arrested the whore and wasted the courts/attorneys time and money

LOL You know, it's much harder to force a man to have sex with a woman than vice versa. Would you all agree with that? If a man is having unwanted sex, I have a hard (no pun intended) time thinking he could perform, if you know what I mean.

It's possible that the kid's parent's found out and were the ones who brought forth the action. The kid may have been opposed to the whole thing, but what is he going to do? The prosecutor may have seen that he/she would not have a good case and decided to seek a plea agreement.

Regardless, when both parties agree to a plea bargain, it is RARE that a judge will go outside of that agreement. DeeJay, why don't you provide us with some examples of when a real judge rejected a plea agreement.

DeeJayH said:

happy thanksgiving, i am off to house hop, party to party
will try not to get back on, until i sobered up :2wave:

So put your money where your mouth is. Tell us what you know about this judge. Somehow, I doubt you know anything, other than that he allowed the prosecutor and the defense to have a plea bargain.

For all you outraged people, you have no idea what the evidence showed in this case. In order for a plea bargain to be reached BOTH the prosector and the defense have to agree to it. Are you going to assume that the prosecutor, the defense counsel, and the judge are all liberals who are dying to let this woman get off?

Okay, in doing more research on this, I discovered that it was the victim's mother who asked that the case be pleaded out.

Hillsborough County Assistant State Attorney Michael Sinacore said the victim's family asked for the plea in order to spare themselves the ordeal of a trial.

"The victim's family indicated they wanted the case over with. Intense media in this case has put the victim in more of a spotlight than could have been anticipated," Sinacore said at the hearing. "We do respect their request, and that is why we have rescinded our earlier position."

Earlier plea negotiations broke off in July when prosecutors refused to back off from potential prison time for Lafave.

http://news.findlaw.com/court_tv/s/20051122/22nov2005180621.html

And there you have it. It's very unusual when a judge rejects a plea agreement, particularly when the victim wants it. Sorry, folks, but trying to say that the judge is a liberal and that's how she avoided jail time ain't gonna work.

My stance on this isn't about what the woman did--it's about you all accusing the judge of being a bleeding liberal. That woman is a prostitute, and I hope she suffers greatly as a result of her pathetic actions.

aps said:
Really? No conservative priest? LOL Let's talk about Bernard Law. He moved John Geoghan (a priest, in case you didn't know) to a new parish, even though he knew Geoghan had been removed from two other parishes for molesting children. We all know that Law is a conservative. Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. This disgusting human being allowed Geoghan to remain in the Catholic church and to continue molesting children. Geoghan was implicated in 130 cases of sexual abuse. Wow. This is what caused me to abandon the Catholic church.

And you know that it didn't stop there. Law was essentially forced to resign because he showed a pattern of ignoring evidence that a priest had molested children.

So you can guarantee that NO conservative priest would have sentenced this predator teacher to probation? Yeah right. I just proved otherwise, unless, of course, you think that a conservative priest would treat a teacher who had sex with a 14 year old diffrently than priests who molested children much younger than 14.

Shame on you.

And the Cardinal paid for his bad decisions as far as homosexual priests go.....I am not sure he would even be considered a conservative but you know more about that then I do........

There ar4e no guareentees nut I would venture to say a law abiding conservative judge would be harder on a liberal bleeding heart judge who blames the victums more times then not then the perpetrator........

Finally there should be no difference in the Sentence for a man or a woman who rapes a child..........................

Navy Pride said:
And the Cardinal paid for his bad decisions as far as homosexual priests go.....I am not sure he would even be considered a conservative but you know more about that then I do........

There ar4e no guareentees nut I would venture to say a law abiding conservative judge would be harder on a liberal bleeding heart judge who blames the victums more times then not then the perpetrator........

Finally there should be no difference in the Sentence for a man or a woman who rapes a child..........................

But you see, Navy Pride, the man made these decisions decades prior to the priests getting caught.

Anyway, please see my other posts. Apparently, the mother of the victim asked for a plea agreement because she didn't want to have to go through a trial and cause her son more pain. As I stated above, when a prosecutor and defendant have a plea agreement, the circumstances for a judge to deny the plea agreement need to be extreme.

I did find a website that said the Judge is a registered republican, but was unsure whether it was reliable.

aps said:
But you see, Navy Pride, the man made these decisions decades prior to the priests getting caught.

Anyway, please see my other posts. Apparently, the mother of the victim asked for a plea agreement because she didn't want to have to go through a trial and cause her son more pain. As I stated above, when a prosecutor and defendant have a plea agreement, the circumstances for a judge to deny the plea agreement need to be extreme.

I did find a website that said the Judge is a registered republican, but was unsure whether it was reliable.

So if a 25 year old man raped a 14 year old girl and the same plea bargain was worked out you would not have a problem with that?:confused:

26 X World Champs said:
That's nice, but you completely avoided answering any of my questions? Why? Since you're in the neighborhood you should be able to fill all of us in on the judge? Try again?

Tell us all what you know that makes this judge not a "real" judge? Was the judge elected? Appointed? By whom? For how long? What is this judge's political party? Does this judge do this all the time?

only because you neglected to address the single issue i raised
i am not debating myself. i do that all day, dont need to come here to do it

Navy Pride said:
So if a 25 year old man raped a 14 year old girl and the same plea bargain was worked out you would not have a problem with that?:confused:

First of all, I don't believe that this woman raped the 14-year-old kid. How does a woman force a man to have sex with her? If he was being raped, I doubt he would have been able to perform. It's called rape because that what the statutes says.

Look at the facts in this case. It wasn't the victim who came forward--it was his friend. If the kid was being raped over and over again, I believe he would ahve come forward with this after the first instance.

Again, the mother of the victim wanted the plea bargain. A prosecutor rarely would say to the victim, "Sorry, but we're going to prosecute this case anyway." Doesn't happen. The defense had already asked for a plea bargain, and was rejected. A judge rarely rejects a plea agreement--RARELY.

I am disgusted by this bimbo. How does a 25-year-old woman find a 14-year-old sexually attractive? She makes me sick.

I just didn't like your blaming the judge. Please be realistic and understand that the judge did not have anything to do with the plea agreement.

To summarize:

1) Opinions about pedophile priests and other sex crimes are irrelevent in determining right or wrong in this case.

2) It is not okay for 14 year olds to be having sex with each other but that is a different discussion and also irrelevant in determining right or wrong in this case.

3) Girls and boys are different. Both would be traumatized by being raped by a teacher or any adult, but the negative implications for a young girl having consensual sex with a male teacher are more obvious than are the negative implications of a young boy having consensual sex with a female teacher;, however. . . .

4) No teacher, as an authority figure entrusted with the safety, well being, and education of children, has any business teasing, being suggestive, or flaunting themselves to children let alone having sex with them. Equal expectations are in order for both male and female teachers, and equal consequences should apply for misconduct by both male and female teachers.

5) Once a charge has been made by a student and the teacher's reputation is on the grapevine, internet, and front page, the parent should not be able to plea bargain to avoid a trial. The only two courses possible would be a public and full exhoneration of the teacher to undo as much damage as possible, or prosecution with the full force of law applied.

Navy Pride said:
The mother should have nothing to do with it..........He was a child and she should have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law..............Its outrageous that she does not have to go to jail........

The mother has EVERYTHING to do with it. She is the child's legal guardian, and until he is 18 years of age, has EVERY right to accept or deny a plea bargain on the child's behalf. How much about the law do you really know?

debate_junkie said:
The mother has EVERYTHING to do with it. She is the child's legal guardian, and until he is 18 years of age, has EVERY right to accept or deny a plea bargain on the child's behalf. How much about the law do you really know?

but since the 'victim' is 14, and a boy, doesnt really make it rape anyway, right?
did this or did this not have a detrimental affect on the child
some seem to think it did not
that it was 'every male kids fantasy'
and if that was the case, why does the mother have any say
why were charges even brought against this pedophilic psychotic whore

here is therapy for the kid
he gets to execute the whore for taking his childhood from him, with a single bullet

debate_junkie said:

When you have a crime it is not up to the victums family as to whether it should be prosecuted or not..............It is up to the prosecutor in the locale.......

So your saying if someone murders someone else if the family of the victum wants to plea bargain to avoid a trial because she did not want her family to have to go through it that the prosecutor has to do that?

Give me a break................

First of all, I don't believe that this woman raped the 14-year-old kid.

aps, I am surprised at you....That is a very sexist remark.......In this country the laws should be applied evenly whether the victum is male or female.........

Navy Pride said:
When you have a crime it is not up to the victums family as to whether it should be prosecuted or not..............It is up to the prosecutor in the locale.......

So your saying if someone murders someone else if the family of the victum wants to plea bargain to avoid a trial because she did not want her family to have to go through it that the prosecutor has to do that?

Give me a break................

LMAO nice :spin: Number 1, You said the mother has nothing to do with it, to which it was pointed out that the mother, as his legal guardian, has everything to do with the case. Number 2, show me where I said the prosecutor HAS to do it, because you cant.

Navy, I already agreed that it's hyprocritical. However, you cannot accept the reason's why there was a plea. Is it up to you to decide, or the prosecutor on the case? The prosecutor has spoken.

DeeJayH said:
but since the 'victim' is 14, and a boy, doesnt really make it rape anyway, right?
did this or did this not have a detrimental affect on the child
some seem to think it did not
that it was 'every male kids fantasy'
and if that was the case, why does the mother have any say
why were charges even brought against this pedophilic psychotic whore

here is therapy for the kid
he gets to execute the whore for taking his childhood from him, with a single bullet

I never said that it wasn't rape. What I was looking at, was looking at it through the eyes of a mom. Though I don't have boys, I can see full well, that mom was wanting to spare the boy anymore grief associated with it. Because I have seen the stigma associated with men and the words rape or physical/emotional abuse. They are ridiculed, called ******s, sissies, told they need to be men, etc.

What more can you say about it though? Mom ask the DA to plea, and it was done. Are we to doubt what she feels is best? The woman won't teach again, and she's listed as a sexual predator. Jail time would have been ideal, but so would jail time for DUI's, and that doesn't always happen.

Back
Top Bottom