• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The five best reasons not to believe in God

Lol.

I neither believe or disbelieve that the sun rises in the east because I "know" it does.
You don't believe it but you know it. Uh Huh.
I got to tell you, talking shit doesn't make the shit sound any better. :LOL:

You don't believe it but you know it. Uh Huh.
I got to tell you, talking shit doesn't make the shit sound any better. :LOL:
Try to read more carefully.

I niether believe it or disbelieve it, because I Know it.

And if you're sleeping at the time? You have faith that it rose...even if it's a cloudy day...
I can look at a clock and know the sun rose due to the time. That doesn't mean I can't be wrong, maybe my clock is wrong. So I take another measurement by looking at my phone. And knowing I could still be wrong, but with a high degree of certainty, I would say I know the sun came up. If I was less sure about the time I might say I believe the sun came up. So, not taking it on faith.

Faith would be sitting in a basement with no windows and lights, no clocks and phones, sitting in the dark for 3 days, and suddenly proclaiming that you know the sun came up today. Faith is knowledge without and in spite of evidence. Like a belief. Well, the sun comes up every day, and you've been down there awhile, so safe to say the sun came out. Plus, there's about a 50/50 chance it is still up. We are all discounting the minute possibility the sun doesn't come out tomorrow.

Try making sense. You can't know something before believing it's true first. That's plain logic.

What you said was clear. Most people understand the difference between "know" and "believe."

What you said was clear. Most people understand the difference between "know" and "believe."

Many god believers do not know this. This isn't the first believer to elevate belief above knowledge.

Kinda like God, huh...
You deleted the second part: Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it does exist.

That the universe is too complex for you to understand is evidence of itself: it just means you don't understand it.

I can look at a clock and know the sun rose due to the time. That doesn't mean I can't be wrong, maybe my clock is wrong. So I take another measurement by looking at my phone. And knowing I could still be wrong, but with a high degree of certainty, I would say I know the sun came up. If I was less sure about the time I might say I believe the sun came up. So, not taking it on faith.

Faith would be sitting in a basement with no windows and lights, no clocks and phones, sitting in the dark for 3 days, and suddenly proclaiming that you know the sun came up today. Faith is knowledge without and in spite of evidence. Like a belief. Well, the sun comes up every day, and you've been down there awhile, so safe to say the sun came out. Plus, there's about a 50/50 chance it is still up. We are all discounting the minute possibility the sun doesn't come out tomorrow.
lol...that changes nothing about my point...

Try making sense. You can't know something before believing it's true first. That's plain logic.
Try making sense.

If I know something I neither believe it or disbelieve it.....BECAUSE I KNOW IT.

Once you know something, belief (or lack of it) plays no role .

You deleted the second part: Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it does exist.

That the universe is too complex for you to understand is evidence of itself: it just means you don't understand it.
lol...I do understand it...I understand it is complex...

lol...I do understand it...I understand it is complex...
You said "too complex." So if it was simpler than it is, you'd accept that there wasn't a god. And since we know you would not accept that conclusion, then you know that "the universe is too complex for there not to be a god" isn't a good faith argument.

Last edited:
Yes, too complex for evolution...not too complex for God...
The second part, which you deleted:

So if the universe was simpler than it is, you'd accept that there wasn't a god. And since we know you would not accept that conclusion, then you know that "the universe is too complex for there not to be a god" isn't a good faith argument.

I believe Nebraska will win their first game this saturday.

I know that they lost to Oklahoma last weekend.

See the difference.

I only need one:

“NO EVIDENCE.
Most things which we accept, we accept on the basis of proof. That proof is not always rock solid (some of it is based on spurious media claims, for example) but there is a standard to which we hold most of our beliefs. Things that don’t meet that standard – the Tooth Fairy, let’s say – we discard as not impossible, but extremely unlikely.

God, however, many people accept with no proof at all. Belief in God is a product of upbringing, societal and cultural convention, a desire for comfort and intellectual laziness.

There is no evidence that God exists. You may have had some kind of personal experience – what we “anecdotal evidence” that has convinced you personally that he’s out there. But most people would concede that that kind of evidence is not evidence at all. It can’t be repeated under test conditions and there are other possible explanations for what may have happened.
Fact: NO ONE HAS EVER PRESENTED ONE IOTA OF PERSUASIVE EVIDENCE THAT THERE IS A GOD.”

It depends what constitutes "evidence". It's unfortunate when material reductionists demand evidence for something that is ontological in nature. The two schools are entirely different. Ontological schools have different evidence requirements that material rationalist schools. The two schools are not in competition and one isn't more right than the other. They different philosophical branches.

I demand evidence that you exist, watsup, and aren't an algorithm.

Taken further... prove that anyone around you is conscious and not just a simulation. At the subatomic level we are all 99.8% empty space. Atoms contain almost nothing. Prove to me that this isn't all just some simulation.

Do you see the problem?

It's hard to demand evidence for ontological processes.

I feel that people like you need to understand that ontology is a huge part of the human experience, even if we're not talking about "God". Human function relies on so many day to day nonprovable assumptions that we take them for granted. The "God" one is low hanging fruit. I'd like to see somebody tackle why I should give a crap about any other human being, since they're not me and I can't prove that any other person has feelings like I do. I just assume that they do. Yet I can't see their thoughts so why do I do that? If I hurt somebody else, it's no skin off my back because I'm not the one in pain, assuming that these other creatures around me even register pain. Why can't I practice solipsism to the nth degree? What evidence do I have that I shouldn't?

I believe Nebraska will win their first game this saturday.

I know that they lost to Oklahoma last weekend.

See the difference.
Nebraska's program sucks so bad, I'm not able to follow.

Back
Top Bottom