• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The five best reasons not to believe in God

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I only need one:

“NO EVIDENCE.
Most things which we accept, we accept on the basis of proof. That proof is not always rock solid (some of it is based on spurious media claims, for example) but there is a standard to which we hold most of our beliefs. Things that don’t meet that standard – the Tooth Fairy, let’s say – we discard as not impossible, but extremely unlikely.

God, however, many people accept with no proof at all. Belief in God is a product of upbringing, societal and cultural convention, a desire for comfort and intellectual laziness.

There is no evidence that God exists. You may have had some kind of personal experience – what we “anecdotal evidence” that has convinced you personally that he’s out there. But most people would concede that that kind of evidence is not evidence at all. It can’t be repeated under test conditions and there are other possible explanations for what may have happened.
Fact: NO ONE HAS EVER PRESENTED ONE IOTA OF PERSUASIVE EVIDENCE THAT THERE IS A GOD.”

I guess that most people do not really believe in God (regardless of what they say) because if there is a God, S/He certainly does not care about us human beings.

Look at the indescribable suffering in this world. The victims of horrible diseases and conditions (like the unbelievable dementia), , the victims of senseless and traumatic violent crime, the outrageous differences in living conditions (the super wealthy and the poor who literally do not know where their next meal is coming from, and the so-called middle class who live from pay check to pay check).

The behavior of most human beings is proof positive that they do not fear retribution from a "God." So besides street criminals, you have white-collar criminals who defraud people and leave them in financial peril.

Of course, some people say that if there ever was a God, S/He died when S/He allowed the Holocaust. Surely, the most horrendous event in human history.

And for me, the event that best sums up the absence of God happened a few months ago when the Russians murdered a boy in Ukraine, and his father was seen holding the boy's lifeless hands for three hours.

God?

Yeah, right!

I don’t need to manufacture a mythical, magical entity to find some level of comfort in death, unknown situations, and questions.

I’m fine with “I don’t know”.

I wasn't raised that way.

Life/the world/the universe is too complex not to believe...

Unless you know of at least one other Universe to compare ours to, you have absolutely zero clue how complex, or simple our Universe is.

Calculus is complex to many folks young and old, but it doesn’t require a god to make it a thing.

*to you

But ironically, you cite that as a reason to believe in something even more complex that you claim does not have a creator or a beginning. But complexity is your justification for claiming the universe has both.

So you see how your logic is, well, not good.

I only need one:

“NO EVIDENCE.
Most things which we accept, we accept on the basis of proof. That proof is not always rock solid (some of it is based on spurious media claims, for example) but there is a standard to which we hold most of our beliefs. Things that don’t meet that standard – the Tooth Fairy, let’s say – we discard as not impossible, but extremely unlikely.

God, however, many people accept with no proof at all. Belief in God is a product of upbringing, societal and cultural convention, a desire for comfort and intellectual laziness.

There is no evidence that God exists. You may have had some kind of personal experience – what we “anecdotal evidence” that has convinced you personally that he’s out there. But most people would concede that that kind of evidence is not evidence at all. It can’t be repeated under test conditions and there are other possible explanations for what may have happened.
Fact: NO ONE HAS EVER PRESENTED ONE IOTA OF PERSUASIVE EVIDENCE THAT THERE IS A GOD.”

I have a severely handicapped child with a short life expectancy. One in a million shot genetic defect. If this is according to someone's "plan" then me and the author of said plan are gonna go round.

Best for both of us if he/she doesn't exist.

So your solution to the universe being too complex is to make it even more complex by inventing a god. Clever.

I have a severely handicapped child with a short life expectancy. One in a million shot genetic defect. If this is according to someone's "plan" then me and the author of said plan are gonna go round.

Blame who is responsible...Satan...

Why Do Evil and Suffering Exist?

God created Satan. Ultimately god is responsible.
Indeed. THe buck stops with God.
*to you

But ironically, you cite that as a reason to believe in something even more complex that you claim does not have a creator or a beginning. But complexity is your justification for claiming the universe has both.

So you see how your logic is, well, not good.
I find logic to be quite lacking when it comes to the theologically minded. Logic gets tossed to the wayside in favor of dogma or sycophantry towards god.

I only need one:

“NO EVIDENCE.
Personally, I'm big on the whole evidence thing. Of which, there is none for any god/s or the supernatural.

What did Satan do that's so bad? Especially compared to the atrocities god committed?
He called Jehovah a liar, for one thing, and he challenged Jehovah's sovereignty

Complexity does not imply a creator
Let's set aside complexity and talk design. In this case, the human body.

1) Why did you god put men's testicles in a dangling sack of skin that makes them vulnerable to external damage?
2) Why are very large arteries and veins close enough to the surface that it takes minor slices to open them up, causing bleed out?

I am so sorry to hear that. Though I am sure you are not sorry to be his or her parents.

If there actually was a god like the one the Christians believe in he would be the biggest asshole in the world.

He called Jehovah a liar, for one thing, and he challenged Jehovah's sovereignty
So? It seems you "Jehovah" can't take a challenge or criticism and had a hissy fit. That's still not as bad as the atrocities god committed, according to the bible.

Back
Top Bottom