• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Crazy Ted Cruz-Jesse Helms Connection

My dad had less than a high school education and worked hard all his life for average wages. I've heard him say several times that he would like to make enough to pay a million dollars in taxes.

I have less than a high school education and the first time I made a million dollars I was awestruck and I cheerfully coughed up the $330K or so it cost me. Oddly, most of the bitching about taxes comes from people who will never make it to the top bracket. I don't know many rich people but the few I do never complain about taxes, they're usually boasting about making the big bucks in the first place.

I have less than a high school education and the first time I made a million dollars I was awestruck and I cheerfully coughed up the $330K or so it cost me. Oddly, most of the bitching about taxes comes from people who will never make it to the top bracket. I don't know many rich people but the few I do never complain about taxes, they're usually boasting about making the big bucks in the first place.

I think you might be onto something. A fool can see which party advocates low or no taxes for millionaires and which one doesn't. The Republican house has individually and collectively signed a pledge for Grover Norquist to stand in the way and oppose new taxes. They are responsible for stopping the termination of the Bush tax cuts which were scheduled to end in 2011 when the law was signed:

3.jpg

Cruz said he wished we had 100 senators like Jesse Helms.

When Helms got on an elevator with the first and only black senator...a woman, he began singing Dixie and told the others in the elevator that he was trying to make the new senator cry. "Oh I Wish I Was In The Land Of Cotton....Old Times There Are Not Forgotten"

And They Just Can't Figure Out Why The Black Vote Is 93% Democrat (and that more than half of women are pissed off at them.)

They also can't figure out why they've lost the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections...it might be the Latinos or crippled seniors.

do you actually believe Cruz wants 100 more Jesse helms so we can have 100 more dudes sing Dixie to black women in elevators?...seriously?

The idea that we are a secular nation is just my own opinion. I'm not aware that the government was spreading secularity. All these politicians claim to be big god fans (although they are almost certainly liars).

The GOP seems to have school prayer in their platform. So, I think that this is a big turn-off even though we have so many purported god believers. But I'll concede the point.

At the time there is obvious proof that the universe is billions of years old the Republicans take a stand that it is less than 10,000. Picture a dinosaur with a saddle, two Republicans chasing it with a gun and one a riding.

Platforms are no longer relevant. Candidates define their issues and are sometimes different from the platforms. I mean look at the democrats platform they suggest a commitment to the second amendment....platforms are just not believable and candidates are not tied to them. The same way Ted Cruz isn't tied to Helms. If the OP wants to condemn Cruz for wishing we had more leaders like Helms maybe he should impeach Pelosi for voting for a house leader who was a kkk grand master?

There's more to it than that:

• The GOP platform
• The terrible choice of GOP candidates

Heh. Jesse Helms could drive the left nuts like no other. Loved that commercial he ran where he told the truth of affirmative action. Cruz is an heir to him,and to me that is a positive.

Platforms are no longer relevant. Candidates define their issues and are sometimes different from the platforms. I mean look at the democrats platform they suggest a commitment to the second amendment....platforms are just not believable and candidates are not tied to them. The same way Ted Cruz isn't tied to Helms. If the OP wants to condemn Cruz for wishing we had more leaders like Helms maybe he should impeach Pelosi for voting for a house leader who was a kkk grand master?

Of course. My Republican-leaning friends don't think the earth is 6000 years old, they don't "hate" the poor and they don't follow platforms like little toy soldiers.

However, those "platform perceptions" hang over candidates heads. I'm going to guess that abortion affects a lot of voting. People may be small government conservatives at heart but feel they can't vote Republican because of things like future SCOTUS appointments. Then I have Democratish friends who feel so strongly about gun rights that they can't vote Democrat. So, regrettably, party platforms, however much they are bull****, do affect a lot of voting.

Pelosi ain't no friend of mine, believe me. And Harry Reid is on my ****-list. But I did have my own personal run-in with Jesse Helms so I'm hardly an admirer of his admirers:). I confess I really don't know much about Cruz but I'm never happy with extremism by any politician, I'm a fan of logic.

Can we have a link for this highly unlikely story? I'm not a Ted Cruz fan BTW. Sounds a bit like bull**** to me though.

Were all 100 in the elevator?

It's a pretty old story.

Helms Sings a Song of 'Dixie'; Moseley-Braun Looks Away

Helms was a ****ed up dude. On another note, he was so indebted to tobacco that even though he didn't smoke, he'd carry around a pack of cigarettes in his pocket so that he could give one upon request.

Cruz said he wished we had 100 senators like Jesse Helms.

When Helms got on an elevator with the first and only black senator...a woman, he began singing Dixie and told the others in the elevator that he was trying to make the new senator cry. "Oh I Wish I Was In The Land Of Cotton....Old Times There Are Not Forgotten"

And They Just Can't Figure Out Why The Black Vote Is 93% Democrat (and that more than half of women are pissed off at them.)

They also can't figure out why they've lost the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections...it might be the Latinos or crippled seniors.

Not much of a "connection", one person praising another or contributing a whopping $10 to them at the tender age of 10 years.

Heh. Jesse Helms could drive the left nuts like no other. Loved that commercial he ran where he told the truth of affirmative action. Cruz is an heir to him,and to me that is a positive.

He drove anyone with any sense of decency nuts.

Back
Top Bottom