• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

the 20th anniversary of bosnian massacre

Medusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
This weekend, the Bosnian capital of Sarajevo is marking the 20th anniversary of the start of the 44-month siege that came to symbolise the most bloody conflict in Europe since the Second World War. It was sparked by the disintegration of what was Yugoslavia. By the time it ended in an uneasy truce in 1995, it had claimed an estimated 100,000 lives and left around 2.2 million people dispossessed.

Enisa Salcinovic is telling a story. It is one she has told many times before, but her hands are shaking and tears roll down her cheeks as if it happened yesterday. It is a story of war, of killings and rape, of hatred and despair; of the evil people can do to fellow human beings. It is a story of Bosnia.

n April 1992, Enisa, a hospital administrator, her electrician husband Nusret and their two young daughters were living in Foca, a river valley town in eastern Bosnia. One day, without warning, local Bosnian Serbs began rounding up thousands of Muslim and Croat civilians, as they were to do across the country. Much later, it would be given a name: “ethnic cleansing”.

Snipers, who could pick off a child walking hand-in-hand with his grandfather at 500 metres – and did – terrorised the local population. Death came in many guises. The sub-zero winter temperatures took their toll on a weakened population without water, electricity and little, if any, food. Desperate Sarajevans cut down almost every tree in the city and dug up bushes to burn to stave off the cold. When there was no plant life left, they burnt their books and their furniture.

Sarajevo, 20 years on - Telegraph

One of, if not THE SINGLE bloodiest event in recent/modern history. I can't begin to imagine what those Bosnians (ethnic Muslims, Serbs, and Croats alike) went through.

Last edited:
couple of lads from Kosovo came to my school after the conflict, they were orphans from the war and didnt speak much and they only really seemed to be themselves whilst playing football at lunchtime, used to love watching the 3 of them play as it seemed like an escape from all the horrible things they had to see.

There are a few things that stick out for me (apart from the obvious human misery) from my 6-month tour of Bosnia as much as the following. The first, when we arrived in the besieged city of Sarajevo the level of destruction was incomprehensible. I have many pics (although not scanned into my PC) of this total destruction. The most poignant symbols of this destruction, was the Holiday Inn hotel. It never had a window or piece of concrete left unscathed. This is synonymous of a city under siege (board snipers will take pot shots to constantly intimidate the population). Also, once we established authority over the city, and was able to patrol, the Olympic stadium (from the 1984 Winter Olympics) had a massive hole in the center. I just remember looking up and thinking.....

Once we had embarked on an aggressive strategy the fortunes of the besieged citizens (Muslims) lifted, something i was/am proud to have been a part :)

These kind of check points were dotted all round the country

bosnia2.jpg

For much of the 1990s, the 1st Battalion was stationed in Munster, Germany, in the Armoured Infantry Role with Warrior APCs as part of 4th Armoured Brigade. In 1993–1994 the battalion served as an armoured infantry battalion in peacekeeping duties in Bosnia as part of UNPROFOR with the Battalion Headquarters in Vitez with additional outposts in Gornji Vakuf and Sarajevo. The Coldstream Guards were the first British regiment to enter Sarajevo in the conflict.

Coldstream Guards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Much of the conflict (Militarily) has since proved to have been shambolic. I can testify to this from my perspective with the fact that two non-combat battalions (French/Dutch) were initially assigned the task of Sarajevo. Put simply, they never had the necessary resources to make any sort of positive impact, hence they both generally stayed within the confines of their respective bases.

Paul

There are a few things that stick out for me (apart from the obvious human misery) from my 6-month tour of Bosnia as much as the following. The first, when we arrived in the besieged city of Sarajevo the level of destruction was incomprehensible. I have many pics (although not scanned into my PC) of this total destruction. The most poignant symbols of this destruction, was the Holiday Inn hotel. It never had a window or piece of concrete left unscathed. This is synonymous of a city under siege (board snipers will take pot shots to constantly intimidate the population). Also, once we established authority over the city, and was able to patrol, the Olympic stadium (from the 1984 Winter Olympics) had a massive hole in the center. I just remember looking up and thinking.....

Once we had embarked on an aggressive strategy the fortunes of the besieged citizens (Muslims) lifted, something i was/am proud to have been a part :)

bosnia2.jpg

For much of the 1990s, the 1st Battalion was stationed in Munster, Germany, in the Armoured Infantry Role with Warrior APCs as part of 4th Armoured Brigade. In 1993–1994 the battalion served as an armoured infantry battalion in peacekeeping duties in Bosnia as part of UNPROFOR with the Battalion Headquarters in Vitez with additional outposts in Gornji Vakuf and Sarajevo. The Coldstream Guards were the first British regiment to enter Sarajevo in the conflict.

Much of the conflict (Militarily) has since proved to have been shambolic. I can testify to this from my perspective with the fact that two non-combat battalions (French/Dutch) were initially assigned the task of Sarajevo. Put simply, they never had the necessary resources to make any sort of positive impact, hence they both generally stayed within the confines of their respective bases.

Paul

thanks for sharing Gunner was a good read! Dont ever really hear much from a soldiers perspective from that war!

bosnia2.jpg

Paul

Thanks for sharing this with us Paul, it was very enlightening.

It was mistake that we,Serbs, allowed Milošević to go to Hague. He should have first trial in his homeland for all Serbian citizens he killed, destroying economy, election cheating and failing at his presidency.
Sarajevo isn't Swiss city but Bosnian and as in every multicultural country when it goes down nations blame each other. That country was ****ed up since bogomili heretics came there and Turks just added oil to the fire with Islam.
For understanding that conflict you have to go really deep.

It was mistake that we,Serbs, allowed Milošević to go to Hague. He should have first trial in his homeland for all Serbian citizens he killed, destroying economy, election cheating and failing at his presidency.
Sarajevo isn't Swiss city but Bosnian and as in every multicultural country when it goes down nations blame each other. That country was ****ed up since bogomili heretics came there and Turks just added oil to the fire with Islam.
For understanding that conflict you have to go really deep.

you are very comic .cyrillic ,no difference of religion has to be an excuse for raping or killing..

you are very comic .cyrillic ,no difference of religion has to be an excuse for raping or killing..

Read this part again
''For understanding that conflict you have to go really deep.''
Communist Yugoslavs with Tito as their head tried to stop hate between this people, without success as hate of this people is deep with origins in 16th century.
I'll try to help you understand.
You are doing something in one firm and you are doing good for a while and then all of sudden it goes bad. Then some people that you were close say that other part of company is guilt for ruining business. Will you listen to guys you were close or other?

Then let us go back to communists. In Tito's way there is no free speech so hate has collected in this people for 55 years. And if you hate someone for 55 years and you aren't given opportunity to say it to him then outcome is obvious.

Back
Top Bottom