• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The 2012 Election: Did illegal votes make a difference?

Sure, some elections can be close.

But what does that have to do with what I said or the 2012 election?

You said you would need to have hundreds of thousands of illegal votes to influence an election, in fact your exact words were "In order for an illegal vote to make any difference, it has to be coupled with hundreds of thousands of other illegal votes (If not millions of illegal votes) in a state where votes actually matter a little bit."
That is not necessarily true.

So, they caught the problem and did something about it. And you think this is evidence that multiple voting is easier? And five examples of double votes in the entire nation is peanuts compared to the efforts that Joaquin mentioned.

no they didnt catch the problem i did i could have kept my mouth shut and voted twice

just like the women in Ohio only reason she was caught was because she admitted voting twice in an interview on TV
hell she was a poll worker how many others did she either allow to vote twice or for some one else?

no they didnt catch the problem i did i could have kept my mouth shut and voted twice

Why would you conclude that they wouldn't have flagged your vote for further review or stopped you from voting if you hadn't told them what was going on and had the extra name stricken?

You said you would need to have hundreds of thousands of illegal votes to influence an election, in fact your exact words were "In order for an illegal vote to make any difference, it has to be coupled with hundreds of thousands of other illegal votes (If not millions of illegal votes) in a state where votes actually matter a little bit."
That is not necessarily true.

What was the context in which I said that (hint: it was in reference to a specific national election)?

Furthermore, what actual difference would it have made if the other guy won the senate election in NH in 1974? One party would have had a smaller majority in the senate than they otherwise would have had? That's not actually that big of a difference.

When it comes to federal elections, the votes don't really matter much because the effect of any single election on the federal government isn't that great. Only grand sweeping changes (like the 1980 senate elections, for example) have a major effect on how the nation is governed.

The risk involved to go behind the scenes in order to orchestrate illegal votes is far too great to justify the lack of any real reward that comes from it (aside from the reward that is gained for the individual who is elected by the illegal votes). If an election ends up being close enough for illegal votes to have made a real difference, it's far easier to have legal votes nullified in the recount process via legal methods (provided one has party faithful in their pocket who may be in charge of the decision making processes).

The whole risk/reward factor is why illegal votes aren't a real issue. Not in any meaningful way.

Why would you conclude that they wouldn't have flagged your vote for further review or stopped you from voting if you hadn't told them what was going on and had the extra name stricken?

I could have said "it was my dad (which it was) and he will be in later to vote" then later that day walked in and voted again

or told my dad he was still on the list showing he hasn't voted and he could have voted twice. also there is the possibility that his absenty ballot wasn't counted to start with and was the reason he was on the list still

Last edited:
I could have said "it was my dad (which it was) and he will be in later to vote" then later that day walked in and voted again

or told my dad he was still on the list showing he hasn't voted and he could have voted twice. also there is the possibility that his absenty ballot wasn't counted to start with and was the reason he was on the list still

And you know that these extra votes would have gone unnoticed because...?

And you know that these extra votes would have gone unnoticed because...?
and you know it would go noticed because?

we are talking about a government who sent 23,994 tax refunds worth a combined $46,378,040 to “unauthorized” alien workers who all used the same address

Last edited:
What was the context in which I said that (hint: it was in reference to a specific national election)?

You tell me. Here is the entire paragraph. I don't see any referance to any 2012 election in it nor did I make any referance to it. I only commented that it doesn't take 100,000 illegal votes to swing an election.

"In order for an illegal vote to make any difference, it has to be coupled with hundreds of thousands of other illegal votes (If not millions of illegal votes) in a state where votes actually matter a little bit. Illegal votes in Illinois? As worthless as the legal votes in this state. In Texas? A pointless exercise in mental masturbation. In Ohio, there's an outside chance it could affect that state's outcome as long as you got about 200,000 of them, but that still might not make any difference at all as far as the election goes."

Me too but one is presented as an effort to deny a persons rights and the other to combat fraud.

Because one has an estimated 700 million dollar plus being spent fraudulently. The other seems to exist in negligible quantities or in rightwing blogs.

Last edited:
You tell me. Here is the entire paragraph.

That's cute. You think the context can only come from the same paragraph. It'd make writing awfully ****ing hard if we always had to assume that our readers were retards with the memories of goldfish. I don't do that. I expect people to be at least semi-literate when I write things out.

Because one has an estimated 700 million dollar plus being spent fraudulently. The other seems to exist in negligent quantities or in rightwing blogs.

There is $700 million in EBT fraud in Massachusetts? Geeze that's a lot!

That's cute. You think the context can only come from the same paragraph. It'd make writing awfully ****ing hard if we always had to assume that our readers were retards with the memories of goldfish. I don't do that. I expect people to be at least semi-literate when I write things out.

If you think what you wrote was cute so be it.

You responded to something I didn't even comment on so having the memory of a goldfish might be an improvement.

If you think what you wrote was cute so be it.

You responded to something I didn't even comment on so having the memory of a goldfish might be an improvement.

You seem to be having trouble comprehending what you read. I said it was cute that you don't understand what context means.

What I said was not cute, it was condescending. Just to be clear.

There is $700 million in EBT fraud in Massachusetts? Geeze that's a lot!

That's nationally....while voter fraud prosecutions between 2002 and 2005 were 50 voters or .00000013 of votes cast during that time period. EBT fraud is estimated at around .01 dollars of total dollars spent.

You seem to be having trouble comprehending what you read. I said it was cute that you don't understand what context means.

What I said was not cute, it was condescending. Just to be clear.

I have no trouble comprehending what I read.

And just to be clear what you wrote was neither cute nor condescending, it was just dumb. But hey if you want to think they were something else feel free. I could care less.

That's nationally....while voter fraud prosecutions between 2002 and 2005 were 50 voters or .00000013 of votes cast during that time period. EBT fraud is estimated at around .01 dollars of total dollars spent.

If the State can give an EBT card with a picture why can't they give a voters card with a picture? It's not like either card is just being issued for the first time.

If the State can give an EBT card with a picture why can't they give a voters card with a picture? It's not like either card is just being issued for the first time.

They can. The reason has nothing to do with voter fraud though. It has everything to do with making some groups that don't have readily available accepted picture ID's jump through additional hoops. Generally that's not considered a good reason to require ID's.

I have no trouble comprehending what I read.

If you can't use contextual clues to gather the meaning of a passage, you must have trouble comprehending what you read. :shrug:

And just to be clear what you wrote was neither cute nor condescending, it was just dumb. But hey if you want to think they were something else feel free. I could care less.

allow me to provide for you a free lesson on the definition of context, as well as how one can use it to illuminate the meanings of statements.

Context - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Definition: the parts of a discourse that surround a word or passage and can throw light on its meaning

See, you initially quoted a passage of my post and then quoted a portion of that very same passage later when the importance of context was made evident to you). You did not seem to understand it's context, because you responded with something that did not relate to what was said (if one was aware of the context which surrounded that passage). The remainder of the post (which was not initially quoted, nor quoted later) would be the context which surrounded said passage which could have thrown light on it's meaning.

Had you went back and looked at the full context, you would have seen how the quoted passage was directly connected to an earlier passage in the post.

The parts about Illinois, Texas, and Ohio, specifically, in the quoted passage can be directly tied to the preceding passages of the same post that stated: "What I'm talking about is how the system is set up so that votes don't really matter that much. In most states, the election is just a formality, the decision is all-but-assured well in advanced. I live in Illinois, so I know my vote is going democrat every presidential election whether I like it or not. Someone in Texas is always voting republican. Done deal.

In swing states, votes kind of matter, but only a little bit. Even if Romney had won Florida and Ohio, he'd have still lost the election. Without those two states, Obama would have still had 285 electoral votes. Romney lost the popular vote by 5 million votes or so in total, or in other words, by the combined amount of votes he lost New York and California by."

I have used underlining and bolding to make the connections evident to you. The bolded words provide the direct link between passages (contextual clues that the passages are related, besides just being part of the same post). The underlined words are the contextual clues which would have alerted you to the fact that I was speaking about a specific type of national election, had you been capable of comprehending what you read.

As I said before, I do not write my posts under the assumption that the reader is either an illiterate or they are only semi-literate.

They can. The reason has nothing to do with voter fraud though. It has everything to do with making some groups that don't have readily available accepted picture ID's jump through additional hoops. Generally that's not considered a good reason to require ID's.

If each voter card they gave you had your picture on it how would that be singling out anyone in particular? It would seem to solve the problem pretty easily. They do it for drivers licenses and EBT cards without much problem but it's impossible and outrageous to do it on a voter card?

If you can't use contextual clues to gather the meaning of a passage, you must have trouble comprehending what you read.

You mean like the way you used them when all I said was it doesn't take 100,000 illegal votes to swing an election?

I didn't realize it was such a complicated or confusing statement but then again I did forget who I quoted.

You mean like the way you used them when all I said was it doesn't take 100,000 illegal votes to swing an election?

I specifically asked you to explain how your response, which had nothing to do with anything I had said, related to what I said.

The context there was you not comprehending what you read. I was kind enough to not assume that you were an incompetent reader because of that context, though, so I asked you to explain your point. I only came to the conclusion of total incompetence after you demonstrated a profound ignorance of what context means.

But how do you calculate the rate of those un caught

I specifically asked you to explain how your response, which had nothing to do with anything I had said, related to what I said.

The context there was you not comprehending what you read. I was kind enough to not assume that you were an incompetent reader because of that context, though, so I asked you to explain your point. I only came to the conclusion of total incompetence after you demonstrated a profound ignorance of what context means.

And as usual you came to the wrong conclusion. 2 for 2 so far. Wanna go for the cycle?

Back
Top Bottom