• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Considers Posting Ten Commandments in Public Schools

You blew off the Islamic hadiths I suggested...what if a group of Muslim parents wanted to put those up next to the commandments...ok with you? If not, why not? To them, they think those are what people should follow. Here they are again:

A woman's testimony counts half of a man's testimony. The Quran in Sura 2:282 says: And let two men from among you bear witness to all such documents [contracts of loans without interest]. But if two men be not available, there should be one man and two women to bear witness so that if one of the women forgets (anything), the other may remind her. (Maududi, vol. 1, p. 205).​

--and--

The Quran in Sura 4:3 says: And if you be apprehensive that you will not be able to do justice to the orphans, you may marry two or three or four women whom you choose. But if you apprehend that you might not be able to do justice to them, then marry only one wife, or marry those who have fallen in your possession. (Maududi, vol. 1, p. 305)​

--and--

Husbands may hit their wives even if the husbands merely fear highhandedness in their wives (quite apart from whether they actually are highhanded). The Quran in Sura 4:34 says: 4:34 . . . If you fear highhandedness from your wives, remind them [of the teaching of God], then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them. If they obey you, you have no right to act against them. God is most high and great. (Haleem, emphasis added)​

--and--

Mature men are allowed to marry prepubescent girls. The Quran in Sura 65:1, 4 says: 65:1 O Prophet, when you [and the believers] divorce women, divorce them for their prescribed waiting—period and count the waiting—period accurately . . . 4 And if you are in doubt about those of your women who have despaired of menstruation, (you should know that) their waiting period is three months, and the same applies to those who have not menstruated as yet. As for pregnant women, their period ends when they have delivered their burden. (Maududi, vol. 5, pp. 599 and 617, emphasis added)​
Read this carefully:
I don't care about any religious rules being posted or published anywhere. I am not promoting religious dogma.
I want children to grow up knowing certain rules for good behavior.

Judging the behavior of certain children in schools, no one at home is teaching them how to behave. Where else would they learn anything?

Glad you figured it out.
Now tell that to the rampaging mobs in the streets burning cars, beating up innocent people, shooting each other, and looting stores for no particular reason. Can they figure out how to behave themselves like reasonable human beings?
You tell them, you're the one complaining. Good luck.

Read this carefully:
I don't care about any religious rules being posted or published anywhere. I am not promoting religious dogma.

Judging the behavior of certain children in schools, no one at home is teaching them how to behave. Where else would they learn anything?

So? How about you read the thread title "carefully?"

Well, you will never have to fear that happening.
Not in this country.
We will never have a state religion.
Just stay out of Utah.

The thing is that this is not really true. This talibangelical society exists in a number of red states. Florida, Mississippi, Ohio, Indiana, South Dakota, South Carolina, North Carolina, Montana, Alabama, Texas, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and even Arizona all have issues with this type of behavior.

It happens because the GQP controls these states. This creates a crisis for the populations of these states. Most do not see it until it affects them.

Is this proposed new law in Texas a violation of the First Amendment?
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Will the present conservative-controlled Supreme Court allow this law to become legal?

Why would the bill use the words of the King James Version and not those from the Revised Standard Version which is a more accurate translation of the original archaic Hebrew? The phrasing provided seems to show Twelve Commandments - not Ten.
e
The totality of the Second Commandment is a bit of a problem for those who believe in the innocence of the young.

"4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, 6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Christian Nationalism marches on in Texas. (n)

Read this carefully:

Broken rules frequently have consequences. You are - whether you know it or not - advocating bible based rules and bible based consequences sponsored and protected by government. How is it that you believe that biblical rules have meaning for parents and children who are not Christians?

Certainly if you want biblical rules and biblical consequences for broken rules in private church schools be my guest. But public schools that are publicly funded? No.

We have no need of the Bible to find morality or ethics. The only reason we are even talking about this nonsense is because so many were brainwashed in this religion as children.

Similarly, we don't need alchemy texts in chemistry class.

P.S. Despite my good Catholic mother's upbringing (my father was/is a fine man but he wasn't/isn't really into religion) I was a respectful hellion in school. I was a handful primarily because I was bored.

The 10 C did nothing to curb my wild assed misspent youthism. When I would get into trouble at school the only question I had for the principal and vice principal was, "Are you going to call my father?" THAT was consequence I preferred not to face.

Posting the 10 C in public schools in Texas to a reduce unwanted student behavior is a fallacy. It is a stealthy attempt to proselytize the Christian religion to the young impressionable masses through state sponsorship. That is wrong.

We have no need of the Bible to find morality or ethics. The only reason we are even talking about this nonsense is because so many were brainwashed in this religion as children.

Similarly, we don't need alchemy texts in chemistry class.
Hanging the 10 Cs in a classroom or even praying in school is not gonna do much. It's the 21st century and trying to sell those bronze age stories just gonna bore the kids who already know more about the world at age nine than the authors of the Bible ever did.

Hanging the 10 Cs in a classroom or even praying in school is not gonna do much. It's the 21st century and trying to sell those bronze age stories just gonna bore the kids who already know more about the world at age nine than the authors of the Bible ever did.
And every one of those children, sans brainwashing at home, will mature to find the Iron age mythology to be obviously false nonsense.

So the brainwashing happens at home anyway.

And every one of those children, sans brainwashing at home, will mature to find the Iron age mythology to be obviously false nonsense.

So the brainwashing happens at home anyway.
The very fact that they wanna peddle religion in public schools is an admission that it gets harder to attract new believers the traditional way. It's an admission that Christianity is in decline and that they have to resort to such drastic measures out of desperation.

Broken rules frequently have consequences. You are - whether you know it or not - advocating bible based rules and bible based consequences sponsored and protected by government. How is it that you believe that biblical rules have meaning for parents and children who are not Christians?

Certainly if you want biblical rules and biblical consequences for broken rules in private church schools be my guest. But public schools that are publicly funded? No.
I don't think of the last 6 of the commandments as biblical rules.
I don't read or preach the Bible.
If you look at commandments 5 through 10, you will see they represent good behavior that everyone should practice.
You know, like treating people the way you would like to be treated without worrying about their political ideals or which religion they follow. There are those in this thread who feel that if you even breathe a hint of religion they will hit you over the head with a "separation of church and state" poster.

10-Commandments-List_1_644_460_80.jpg

There are those in this thread who feel that if you even breathe a hint of religion they will hit you over the head with a "separation of church and state" poster.
Because they are good Americans.

The thing is that this is not really true. This talibangelical society exists in a number of red states. Florida, Mississippi, Ohio, Indiana, South Dakota, South Carolina, North Carolina, Montana, Alabama, Texas, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and even Arizona all have issues with this type of behavior.

It happens because the GQP controls these states. This creates a crisis for the populations of these states. Most do not see it until it affects them.
Here's what I think. I believe you are so paranoid about the spread of religion you go looking for any evidence to prove we are at risk of being proselytized by fanatical preachers out of an "Elmer Gantry" movies. Look up Elmer Gantry in IMDB to know what I mean.
I do not worry or think about religion because we live in a country where the vast majority of people do not care to which religion I belong or if I even care about which religion anyone follows.

Because they are good Americans.
Good Americans don't think about what others think about their religions. They think about treating everyone equally and politely.
I really don't give a shit which religions people follow as long as they do not try to preach to me about their religions.
Sort of like how I feel about the LGBTQ community.

Here's what I think. I believe you are so paranoid about the spread of religion you go looking for any evidence to prove we are at risk of being proselytized by fanatical preachers out of an "Elmer Gantry" movies. Look up Elmer Gantry in IMDB to know what I mean.
I do not worry or think about religion because we live in a country where the vast majority of people do not care to which religion I belong or if I even care about which religion anyone follows.
The separation of church and state protects all religions. Once one religion gets state sponsorship, all others are at risk

So? How about you read the thread title "carefully?"
And if I don't are you going to report me for not following what you believe.?
I don't want the Ten Commandments posted in public schools.
There, does that make you feel better now that I agree with the eager atheists and irreligious in this thread?

The separation of church and state protects all religions. Once one religion gets state sponsorship, all others are at risk
What are the other religions at risk of? A little dramatic don't you think in this modern day and age?
How do you define risk? Will places of worship be burned down?
Will non believers be tarred and feathered and driven out of town on a rail?
Seems like you take being irreligious to the extreme.

You tell them, you're the one complaining. Good luck.
I don't live near any big cities where rampaging mobs can run free destroying public property and then have a mayor who criticizes the public for criticizing the wild mob.

What are the other religions at risk of? A little dramatic don't you think in this modern day and age?
How do you define risk? Will places of worship be burned down?
Will non believers be tarred and feathered and driven out of town on a rail?
Seems like you take being irreligious to the extreme.
They will be at risk of freely exercise their religion in the same way you don't see a bunch of different religions flourishing in Afghanistan or Iran or any other theocracy

I don't live near any big cities where rampaging mobs can run free destroying public property and then have a mayor who criticizes the public for criticizing the wild mob.
So you are exaggerating and whining about a problem that has no effect on you. Amd you do so just to shit on a point someone made.

We have come to expect that from the right, actually.

An interesting set of thoughts. I am not paranoid about the spread of religion. I am worried about religion being mixed with government because this is extremely dangerous and has destroyed societies throughout history.

Religion on its own is fine. When it becomes intertwined with government, it is very dangerous. This is why the forefathers made certain the state was not allowed a religion. There are some people who do not understand the issue this causes. There are some states that are becoming theocracies. The leadership of those states needs to be expelled in disgrace and denied further participation in government affairs.

Think about the middle east and the evils of the governments of those places. Women are devalued and thought of as less than a man. They have no rights and are required to wear a certain type of clothing. They are not allowed to walk around on their own. Punishments are barbaric and often involve death.

That is not what this country needs. We need to the states to stay out of our personal medical decisions. We need the states to avoid legislating their religious beliefs. People who do this are not fit for office because they lack the objectivity required to govern fairly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom