• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas Considers Posting Ten Commandments in Public Schools

Too bad SCOTUS doesnt interpret it that way. So your opinion has no credibility...or feel free to source it.
Well we know that’s going to change though. Just like you can’t claim the Supreme Court claims abortion is a constitutional right anymore, the Kennedy v Bremerton ruling is going to expand into ruling back the left state athiest regime
So did everyone of the FF's era.
Yeah, and no one there had a problem with public Christianity
You conveniently ignored the facts surrounding the negative effects of minimizing the demographics that make up our society. You have no valid argument against it.
The large majority of Americans identify as Christian so there is no argument as to why Christianity shouldn’t be in a favored position
Who cares? It doesnt belong in govt-sponsored places. If your faith in your religion is so weak you need it promoted in inappropriate places, that's your issue. There are plenty of public places where it can be promoted.

Correct, it's truth.
If your atheism is so weak it cannot be supported if society doesn’t cater to it then that’s your problem.

Well we know that’s going to change though. Just like you can’t claim the Supreme Court claims abortion is a constitutional right anymore, the Kennedy v Bremerton ruling is going to expand into ruling back the left state athiest regime

The founding fathers had a problem with it and that is why the first amendment prohibits the creation of a state religion.

The large majority of Americans identify as Christian so there is no argument as to why Christianity shouldn’t be in a favored position
Because the founding fathers said so in the Constitution.

If your atheism is so weak it cannot be supported if society doesn’t cater to it then that’s your problem.

Oh, stop.

Cite the basis for their decision. Let's see it.

So? No one had a problem with slavery until... and again, that doesnt address the negative affects of minimizing the beliefs/non-beliefs of other demographics.

Because the Const. declares it a violation of people's 1A rights. Again...let's see the source for your expected "new interpretation."

I'm a practicing Christian and would remain happily and faithfully so without additional visibility outside my church and community 😁

The founding fathers had a problem with it
No, they didn’t.
and that is why the first amendment prohibits the creation of a state religion.
No, it prohibits recognition of a state church at the federal level. Many states had official churches and this was left in place.
🙄
Oh, stop.
I’m sorry you’re not dedicated to your religious beliefs

Is this proposed new law in Texas a violation of the First Amendment?
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Will the present conservative-controlled Supreme Court allow this law to become legal?

Why would the bill use the words of the King James Version and not those from the Revised Standard Version which is a more accurate translation of the original archaic Hebrew? The phrasing provided seems to show Twelve Commandments - not Ten.

The totality of the Second Commandment is a bit of a problem for those who believe in the innocence of the young.

"4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, 6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."
"or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", here's the part the left and he Jesus haters forget, the government cannot prohibit the free exercise thereof. The 1st amendment protects the religious folk of the country.

Cite the basis for their decision. Let's see it.
You can read the opinion yourself.
So? No one had a problem with slavery until..
Slavery is not relevant to this
. and again, that doesnt address the negative affects of minimizing the beliefs/non-beliefs of other demographics.
Those demographics, which largely come from foreign lands with much higher ethnocentrism, can leave. Most really don’t care though. It’s largely athiest whites like you who seem to hammer this issue. No one from India is even surprised at the idea of public religious displays in society
Because the Const. declares it a violation of people's 1A rights. Again...let's see the source for your expected "new interpretation."
No, it doesn’t
I'm a practicing Christian and would remain happily and faithfully so without additional visibility outside my church and community 😁
yes I know you claim to go to a church you hand selected to not impose any uncomfortable discipline on you and affirm your leftist beliefs, but you are generally hostile to sincere Christian practice

No, they didn’t.
Yes, they did,

No, it prohibits recognition of a state church at the federal level. Many states had official churches and this was left in place.
No, they didn't. They were not. Stop spewing bullshit.
The authority of the states come from the authority of the federal government.

t's pretty settled that the Bill of Rights, after the 14th Amendment, should apply to the states. There's another possible way to get there: the 14th Amendment says "No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States," which Justice Thomas recently thought meant that the Second Amendment applies to the states in a concurring opinion. But as of now, substantive due process is the standard logic for it.

Virtually all of the Bill of Rights is incorporated against the states. There are a couple things which aren't (like juries in lawsuits, and grand juries), but the Establisment Clause is incorporated (see Everson v. Board of Education, 330 US 1).

Neither the federal government nor the states can have a state religion. Learn to accept this truth.

🙄

I am dedicated to the country I fought for. I am also dedicated to my beliefs.

"or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", here's the part the left and he Jesus haters forget, the government cannot prohibit the free exercise thereof. The 1st amendment protects the religious folk of the country.

That means that the government cannot prevent the private individual from believing what he or she chooses to believe. It DOES NOT give the federal government or the state government the right to form their own religion.

Yes, they did,

No, they didn't. They were not. Stop spewing bullshit.
The authority of the states come from the authority of the federal government.
🙄
t's pretty settled that the Bill of Rights, after the 14th Amendment, should apply to the states. There's another possible way to get there: the 14th Amendment says "No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States," which Justice Thomas recently thought meant that the Second Amendment applies to the states in a concurring opinion. But as of now, substantive due process is the standard logic for it.
The 14th amendment does not confer a right to live in a state athiest Society
Virtually all of the Bill of Rights is incorporated against the states. There are a couple things which aren't (like juries in lawsuits, and grand juries), but the Establisment Clause is incorporated (see Everson v. Board of Education, 330 US 1).

Neither the federal government nor the states can have a state religion. Learn to accept this truth.

I am dedicated to the country I fought for. I am also dedicated to my beliefs.
Well far more Americans fought and died for a Christian America than a state athiest America which was only imposed in Americans undemocratically and without their consent in the 1960s. So that historical aberration is getting corrected and you may feel left behind, but better to embrace it

That means that the government cannot prevent the private individual from believing what he or she chooses to believe. It DOES NOT give the federal government or the state government the right to form their own religion.
No one is talking about a state creating “their own religion” 🙄

No, they didn’t.

🙄

Abortion has a long and controversial history in America. There was no legal abortion but there was not illegal abortion either in colonial America. The procedure did occur usually with a midwife or some other neighbor woman skilled in using herbs to cause the woman to abort.. The church, which was widely popular frowned on the practice but little was done to anyone having or providing an abortion unless something bad happened to the mother in the process.

🙄

The 14th amendment does not confer a right to live in a state athiest Society

The constitution states that government CANNOT HAVE A STATE RELIGION. This also applies to the states. If you don't like this, you are free to move to South America and under their Catholic theocracy.

Well far more Americans fought and died for a Christian America than a state athiest America which was only imposed in Americans undemocratically and without their consent in the 1960s. So that historical aberration is getting corrected and you may feel left behind, but better to embrace it

This is bullshit and it's offensive. It is absolutely shameful that you would insult those who defended their country with their lives. It's shameful, disrespectful, and un-American.

You can read the opinion yourself.

So you lied.

Slavery is not relevant to this

the example fits, but it doesnt fit your agenda...obviously.

Those demographics, which largely come from foreign lands with much higher ethnocentrism, can leave. Most really don’t care though. It’s largely athiest whites like you who seem to hammer this issue. No one from India is even surprised at the idea of public religious displays in society

Wow. I am happy to have had them for the last ~150 years and am confident this country prospered from their presence.

But thanks for again demonstrating your need to lessen any kind of competition for jobs, opportunities, or women by wishing they'd all disappear.

And dont lie about me just to suit your agenda...I'm a practicing Christian and see little in your posts to show that you are.

No, it doesn’t

Yes and SCOTUS has already ruled on this so TX is wasting taxpayer time and $$. It's a violation of the 1A. Your 'na huh' doesnt change that.

yes I know you claim to go to a church you hand selected to not impose any uncomfortable discipline on you and affirm your leftist beliefs, but you are generally hostile to sincere Christian practice

A basic United Methodist Church is not particularly selective in any way...again...you making crap up about me in hopes of furthering your agenda fails.

In 1980 (Stone v. Graham), a United States Supreme Court decision struck down a Kentucky law requiring that a copy of the Ten Commandments be posted in every public school classroom, the Court saying:

"The pre-eminent purpose for posting the Ten Commandments on schoolroom walls is plainly religious in nature. The Ten Commandments are undeniably a sacred text in the Jewish and Christian faiths, and no legislative recitation of a supposed secular purpose can blind us to that fact. The Commandments do not confine themselves to arguably secular matters, such as honoring one's parents, killing or murder, adultery, stealing, false witness, and covetousness. Rather, the first part of the Commandments concerns the religious duties.

It's already settled law.

The moron from Texas who brought this up needs to be expelled from office in disgrace.

I am simply stating the facts as they are. We were never meant to be a Christian nation. Part of the reason for our founding was to get away from England and all that entailed, including, but not limited to, the church of England.

By definition, THE STATE CANNOT HAVE A RELIGION. The founding fathers make it clear that people were free to believe what they wanted, and that right was given by the 1st Amendment; however, this is not license for that group of people to force their religion on others.

The reich-wing has never been willing to accept that their religion is not the law. The continue to try and force what they believe on the rest of the populace, which is veery real proof they have no place in government.

You wrote: "The reich-wing has never been willing to accept that their religion is not the law. The continue to try and force what they believe on the rest of the populace, which is very real proof they have no place in government."

I wish people on the Left felt the same way about CRT, BLM, LGBTQ, transgender therapy, open borders, and climate change as you do about keeping religion out of our society.

That’s not what it says though.
“Thou shalt not kill.”
Exodus 20:13

That's exactly what is says, sorry.

Exodus 20:13 — The New International Version (NIV)

13 “You shall not murder.

Exodus 20:13 — King James Version (KJV 1900)

13 Thou shalt not kill.

Exodus 20:13 — New Living Translation (NLT)

13 “You must not murder.

Exodus 20:13 — The New King James Version (NKJV)

Exodus 20:13 — New Century Version (NCV)

13 “You must not murder anyone.

Exodus 20:13 — American Standard Version (ASV)

13 Thou shalt not kill.

The founding fathers had a problem with it and that is why the first amendment prohibits the creation of a state religion.

Oh, stop.
Just the thought of a Christian theocracy gets him aroused

You wrote: "The reich-wing has never been willing to accept that their religion is not the law. The continue to try and force what they believe on the rest of the populace, which is very real proof they have no place in government."

I wish people on the Left felt the same way about CRT, BLM, LGBTQ, transgender therapy, open borders, and climate change as you do about keeping religion out of our society.

No so much out of society, as out of government, and away from state affairs. I don't care if people go to church or have a deity to worship. Every American is free to choose his or her own path. I strenously object to religion being involved in government because doing so is dangerous. The middle east a perfect example of why we cannot allow government and religion to mix.

We do not need a Christian taliban in this country.

Well they ain't gonna hang six commandments on the wall. The first four are first because they are the most important, starting with number one.
I don't want any of the Ten Commandments hung on any wall.
I'm saying the last six are more important to our society than the first four.
It's like knowing the words to The Star Spangled Banner or America the Beautiful. You just know them unless you wish to be ignorant.

“Thou shalt not kill.”
Exodus 20:13

That's exactly what is says, sorry.

Exodus 20:13 — The New International Version (NIV)

Exodus 20:13 — King James Version (KJV 1900)

13 Thou shalt not kill.

Exodus 20:13 — New Living Translation (NLT)

13 “You must not murder.

Exodus 20:13 — The New King James Version (NKJV)

Exodus 20:13 — New Century Version (NCV)

13 “You must not murder anyone.

Exodus 20:13 — American Standard Version (ASV)

13 Thou shalt not kill.
This is typical apologist nonsense. They all read some blog and think they have a sweet point, when they say the Hebrew word was "murder", not "kill".

But none of them ever bother to look further into it, in which case they would find that the Hebrew word also means "kill".And "break".

So it's a dumb point, and nobody has to pay any attention to it.

No so much out of society, as out of government, and away from state affairs. I don't care if people go to church or have a deity to worship. Every American is free to choose his or her own path. I strenously object to religion being involved in government because doing so is dangerous. The middle east a perfect example of why we cannot allow government and religion to mix.

We do not need a Christian taliban in this country.
Well, you will never have to fear that happening.
Not in this country.
We will never have a state religion.
Just stay out of Utah.

Which we figured out on our own, no thanks to the iron age mythology.
Glad you figured it out.
Now tell that to the rampaging mobs in the streets burning cars, beating up innocent people, shooting each other, and looting stores for no particular reason. Can they figure out how to behave themselves like reasonable human beings?

Back
Top Bottom