• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tax cuts for the wealthy elite never worked

12% flat taxa rate across the board, no deductibles, end the CTC welfare payments, finally having the bottom 50% of freeloaders paying their fare share.

You and the righties want to raise taxes on the poor, who can't afford them.

Liberals want to raise taxes on the wealthy, who can afford them.

The sum and total of the Republican platform these days is MORE TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH! After all, they have to pay back those people who contribute to their campaign coffers. But here’s what those tax cuts for the wealthy elite actually do :
-Spike the annual deficit and the long-term debt (that’s shat happened after every one of those tax cuts)
-Increase the economic inequality between the wealthy elite and the rest of us

You don’t have to believe me:
“The results suggest that tax reforms do not lead to higher economic growth. The effect size of major tax cuts for the rich on real GDP per capita is close to zero and statistically insignificant. Major tax cuts for the rich do not lead to higher growth in either the short or medium run.”

One of the reasons that the right wing economic propagandists give for the tax cuts for the rich is that it “frees up in estment money”. Actually, there was no need to do this. There has been plenty of investment money available since at least the mid-90s (except, of course, during the Great Recession), and what it actually does is to result in TOO MUCH investment money so that it goes looking for risky investments such as mortgage derivatives, or hedge funds that buy up perfectly good companies, fire a bunch of employees, sell off assets, and leave ruin and unemployment in its wake.

Know how to increase investment money? Give tax cuts to the masses. They will then use that money to invest in PRODUCTS, and those companies can then use their profits to increase infrastructure and employment.
In fact, every single one of those tax cuts should have been given TOTALLY to the masses. We have seen time and again that trickle-down doesn’t work, but we know that trickle up does. If people have money, they are going to spend it.
I can't speak for the "wealthy elite" you libs rail about, but the tax cuts are working fine for me. I like spending my own money, not letting the politicians spend more than they already do.

I can't speak for the "wealthy elite" you libs rail about, but the tax cuts are working fine for me. I like spending my own money, not letting the politicians spend more than they already do.

Classic Libertarian blah blah blah.

No, I'm arguing a different point. Perhaps you should read my post again.

He did. He just has not response to it, so he stomped his feet like a child instead.

Hardly libertarian. However, you parrot the liberal blah, blah, blah. You aren't well educated, are you?

It was Libertarian. I’ve never run across one that didn’t sooner or later (mostly sooner) parrot the standard “my own money, not politicians” meme talking point. We were trying to have a serious discussion, and all you do is interject the same old Libertarian propaganda.

Even if tax cuts don't lead to economic growth (a point I would refute), so what?
:ROFLMAO:...the utter absurdity of this comment is just breathtaking.

First, you haven't (and you will not) "refute" sh!t, my friend. You can't "refute" anything simply by saying "I refute!". This is not Congress and you do not have a "veto". That's not how INTELLIGENT people engage in debate. You refute by presenting an opposing arguments, facts, stats, research,, data, etc. etc. No one gives a rat's butt's worth of credibility to your baseless, fact-free, FEELINGS and utterly ignorant OPINIONS, @NatMorton.

Next...."so what"?? What kind of dumb-arsed argument is that? So what if tax cuts for the wealthy are destructive to the economy and the prosperity of the entire middle class in that economy? So what????

That's just MORONICALLY stupid of you to admit. But, at the same time, it's also a rare moment of unvarnished HONESTY from pseudo-intellectuals who pretend to be "fiscal conservatives".

The entire Supply-Side Economic Experiment is a well-documented, thoroughly proven FAILURE. There are, at this point, virtually no credible economists still arguing on behalf of it's "trickle-down" theories. That debate, to whatever degree it ever existed as an honest, intellectual question......is over.

Study after Study after Study after Study.....has PROVEN, beyond any doubt, that tax cuts (especially the high-income and corporate variety) are LITERALLY the WORST FORM of economic stimulus there is. That is a FACT:
Screen-Shot-2020-11-23-at-2.41.21-PM.png

----------------------

Screen%20Shot%202020-10-05%20at%203.35.54%20PM.png

------------
Screen-Shot-2020-06-17-at-1.10.28-PM.png

So again, the debate about Supply-Side/Reaganomics and Tax Cuts as economic stimulus is OVER.

It was always based upon a lie. Tax Cuts do NOT "pay for themselves" and are the WORST form fiscal stimulus there is. In FACT, most forms of tax cuts are COUNTERPRODUCTIVE to a recovering economy.

Any society that claims to defend individual liberty -- as ours should though increasingly does not -- should not be interested in confiscating more of what its citizens earn than is absolutely necessary.
Words of ignorance that ONLY come from folk who do not value American-styled democracy (much less "individual liberty").

And tax cuts don't just help the rich. They help everyone who pays taxes.
IGNORANT COMMENT.

Period.

:ROFLMAO:...the utter absurdity of this comment is just breathtaking.

First, you haven't (and you will not) "refute" sh!t, my friend. You can't "refute" anything simply by saying "I refute!". This is not Congress and you do not have a "veto". That's not how INTELLIGENT people engage in debate. You refute by presenting an opposing arguments, facts, stats, research,, data, etc. etc. No one gives a rat's butt's worth of credibility to your baseless, fact-free, FEELINGS and utterly ignorant OPINIONS, @NatMorton.

Next...."so what"?? What kind of dumb-arsed argument is that? So what if tax cuts for the wealthy are destructive to the economy and the prosperity of the entire middle class in that economy? So what????

That's just MORONICALLY stupid of you to admit. But, at the same time, it's also a rare moment of unvarnished HONESTY from pseudo-intellectuals who pretend to be "fiscal conservatives".

The entire Supply-Side Economic Experiment is a well-documented, thoroughly proven FAILURE. There are, at this point, virtually no credible economists still arguing on behalf of it's "trickle-down" theories. That debate, to whatever degree it ever existed as an honest, intellectual question......is over.

Study after Study after Study after Study.....has PROVEN, beyond any doubt, that tax cuts (especially the high-income and corporate variety) are LITERALLY the WORST FORM of economic stimulus there is. That is a FACT:
Screen-Shot-2020-11-23-at-2.41.21-PM.png

----------------------

Screen%20Shot%202020-10-05%20at%203.35.54%20PM.png

------------
Screen-Shot-2020-06-17-at-1.10.28-PM.png

So again, the debate about Supply-Side/Reaganomics and Tax Cuts as economic stimulus is OVER.

It was always based upon a lie. Tax Cuts do NOT "pay for themselves" and are the WORST form fiscal stimulus there is. In FACT, most forms of tax cuts are COUNTERPRODUCTIVE to a recovering economy.

Words of ignorance that ONLY come from folk who do not value American-styled democracy (much less "individual liberty").

IGNORANT COMMENT.

Period.
TLDR.

Would you please also graph revenue over that time span for us?

One trick pony. The topic is unnecessary and repeated huge corrupt tax cuts by the Repubs for their wealthy elite buddies. If you want a thread about excessive government spending, then start one.

One trick pony. The topic is unnecessary and repeated huge corrupt tax cuts by the Repubs for their wealthy elite buddies. If you want a thread about excessive government spending, then start one.
No thanks. I like this one.

It was Libertarian. I’ve never run across one that didn’t sooner or later (mostly sooner) parrot the standard “my own money, not politicians” meme talking point. We were trying to have a serious discussion, and all you do is interject the same old Libertarian propaganda.
Since you have nothing to add, you are dismissed.

:ROFLMAO:....(Too Lazy, Didn't Read), he says. Too LAZY to read it, huh?

Thanks for admitting it, but (and I hate to be the one to tell you this) that's not exactly a big secret around here, my friend.

But it is hilarious!

Everyone knows that you people HATE to READ.

Luckily, the inability of you (and people like you) to effectively rebut the FACTS after being smacked in the face with them (repeatedly)....doesn't diminish their validity in any way.

It only shows you to be what you are. And that helps me illustrate my own arguments to others.

:ROFLMAO:

So, once again, bottom line (which you have now established that you are not prepared/equipped to rebut)....remains unchallenged:

Income and Corporate Tax Cuts (i.e. the chosen tax cuts of every GOPer) are the WORST form of economic stimulus there is. In FACT, most forms of tax cuts have a NEGATIVE EFFECT on economic growth.

So nothing. The rich tend to pay most of the taxes. So any tax cuts almost naturally favor the rich.

I'm not opposed to tax cuts. We're largely in agreement. If I had it my way we'd have a flat tax.

Which claim?
"Sure thing. Provided the government is funded sufficiently to perform the roles it must do, then there is absolutely no harm that comes from some citizens growing very wealthy and much more wealthy than others. In fact, it's probably a sign of a very healthy economy."

“Governments shouldn’t be worried that raising taxes on the rich will harm their economies when deciding on how to pay for COVID-19. Our new research on 18 advanced economies shows that major tax cuts for the rich over the past 50 years have pushed up inequality but have had no significant effects on economic growth or unemployment.

The data suggests that low taxes on the rich bring economies little benefit. This suggests there is a strong economic case for raising taxes on the rich to help repair public finances following the pandemic.

Our recent research shows that the economic case for low taxes on the rich is weak. Major tax cuts for the rich since the 1980s have worsened income inequality without boosting economic performance.”

Just as I said.

“Tax cuts on capital gains and dividends flow overwhelmingly to the wealthiest filers in the country, but do little to boost saving and investment. The non-partisan Congressional Research Service (CRS) concludes that capital gains tax rate changes appear to have “little or no effect” on private saving.

• The Bush tax cuts included sharp tax cuts on capital gains and dividends that proponents said would spur immediate business growth, but a recent study found “empirical evidence that the 2003 tax cuts had little impact on investment or employment.” And, in the words of The Wall Street Journal, Federal Reserve economists found the 2003 tax cut "was a dud when it came to boosting the stock market.”
Job growth, economic growth, and small business job creation were much weaker following the George W. Bush tax cuts, which gave the biggest boosts to high-income households, than after the Clinton tax increases on high-income households.”

Just as I said.

“Governments shouldn’t be worried that raising taxes on the rich will harm their economies when deciding on how to pay for COVID-19. Our new research on 18 advanced economies shows that major tax cuts for the rich over the past 50 years have pushed up inequality but have had no significant effects on economic growth or unemployment.

The data suggests that low taxes on the rich bring economies little benefit. This suggests there is a strong economic case for raising taxes on the rich to help repair public finances following the pandemic.

Our recent research shows that the economic case for low taxes on the rich is weak. Major tax cuts for the rich since the 1980s have worsened income inequality without boosting economic performance.”

Just as I said.
1647913167374.png

Back
Top Bottom