• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sweeping new vaccine mandates for 100 million Americans

Yet government requiring vaccinations is quite common. I have never heard that the legal justification for it is thin.
Government mandating private business enforce vaccination requirements isn’t a thing. It is not “quite common.” The federal government can’t require businesses to do this unless they have the authority to do so.

Mandates are only as good as the enforcement techniques & reporting network .
I did not see the speech, did president Biden give out a White House snitch number or website where we can report our employers for non-compliance , or spreading misinformation, as is democrat custom in imposing mandates ?
"
"Earlier this month, the White House unveiled a new section of its website called "Reality Check," which retails stale Obama talking points on healthcare and also included a SNITCH LINE for Obama supporters to inform the White House on opponents of Obamacare.
The obvious concern is that the new SNITCH LINE will enable the Obama administration to build an "enemies list," just as Richard Nixon did during his stay in the White House.
Obama's "snitch line" violates the federal privacy act"

Maybe Texans can use it to report abortions. Their snitch line is down. But helps, at least it passed as a law. That makes me feel better.

Didn’t the Biden administration say they didn’t have the authority to do this? I’d be curious to see what legal argument they have. It sounds like they’re doing something they know is unconstitutional in hopes that people will be forced to get the vaccination before the Supreme Court rules it down.
They don't have the authority to impose a nationwide mandate and they haven't. Biden has imposed a mandate on federal employees. As an employer, he can do that just as any employer in the private sector can. It's actually up to the governors to impose mandates at the state level if they so choose. Private employers can also impose mandates on their employees. It's possible that will happen in blue states, but I doubt that the proCOVID Republicans will do anything to slow COVID. They like things the way they are.

Torn as well, thoughts revolving around "how slippery is that slope? And steep?"

Someone could always cite in the future such a thing as straight-up mandated vaccination across the board as a slope. I might wonder whether it's relevant, since ultimately whatever is done on the slope must still be approved by the public. Are we that sure something like mandatory vaccination with good intent is so sure to create a state of things in which people blindly accepted mandatory parades of horribles?

On the other hands, we've had rationing. FOOD controlled.
I have been hearing about this slippery slop all my life. Reagan used it as an argument against Medicare. Meat producers made that argument 100 years ago. Car companies said it about safety mandates and mileage mandates. I haven’t slipped on that slope yet.

The issue is whether OSHA has the authority to issue this mandate. I think it does. It’s also the right thing to do to save American lives.

They don't have the authority to impose a nationwide mandate and they haven't. Biden has imposed a mandate on federal employees. As an employer, he can do that just as any employer in the private sector can. It's actually up to the governors to impose mandates at the state level if they so choose. Private employers can also impose mandates on their employees. It's possible that will happen in blue states, but I doubt that the proCOVID Republicans will do anything to slow COVID. They like things the way they are.
See post #55.

After four years of “Trump is a fascist” it seems pretty odd that people are suddenly okay with a President intentionally violating the constitution for political expediency. I’m curious to hear what legal authority over business the government has to mandate and enforce vaccinations, but only if they 100+ employees :rolleyes:.

Democrats: States can’t enforce immigration law because it’s not their responsibility.
Also Democrats: The Federal government can force your business to become the vaccine police… because… reasons???
Had you Googled about this axios broke it down how he would do it.

After 4 years of trump this is really not the same thing. One tried to steal an election and the other is trying to save lives.

Both are most likely unconstitutional

Just for the record, 100% of the time someone cites Jacobson they’re wrong.
And of course you just assert that it is wrong without explaining why.

I saw what the high level was, but I’d be curious to see what legal justification they have for it. My guess is that it’s thin.
Most likely. Not really what osha is designed for.

Government mandating private business enforce vaccination requirements isn’t a thing. It is not “quite common.” The federal government can’t require businesses to do this unless they have the authority to do so.

The federal government has been regulating workplace safety for generations.

me either. but it's already happened.
tons of widows and tons of kids without fathers. and i'm sure tons of kids without mothers now too.
Thanks to Republicans. Just to be clear.

This isn’t true. Biden announced that even private employers have to mandate covid vaccinations for their employees and they will be fined $14K for each violation. The only stipulation is that it applies to organizations with more than 100 employees.

It's exactly what it's designed for. No one should have to fear for their health in a workplace environment.

I disagree with the 'weekly testing' option. This is clearly meant to be punitive, to 'encourage' people to get vaccinated, but doesn't serve any real purpose. A 'negative' result isn't 100% negative, and by the time someone is positive (and gets the results back) it's too late to protect anyone.
So we'll just let the plague ridden employees sniffle and cough, affecting the other unvaccinated employees. Great plan. Constant testing enables an infection to be identified as soon as possible. Remember how successful it was in the Trump White House? They found and isolated all sorts of people. Kept things from getting worse. Masks would have been better, of course, but we are talking about Trumptards here.

The US government has long been in the business of giving businesses safety regulations

we have conservatively twice the number of cases we had a year ago
Wrong, we had cumulatively more cases last year (and deaths), and the daily rate of this peak is less than the peak last year.

Oh really? OSHA's mission is to "assure safe and healthy working conditions for working men and women by setting and enforcing standards and by providing training, outreach, education and assistance."

Protection from a pandemic seems to fall under "safe and healthy working conditions."

Maybe you think it was designed to protect profits for the already rich?

The virus will always mutate and will not go away. The vaccines will only provide temporary relief.
Indeed they do and boosters will be needed.
Me I went with the die later plan.

It's exactly what it's designed for. No one should have to fear for their health in a workplace environment.
They wouldn’t have to if employers weren’t forcing employees back into the Petri dish that is the office environment for no good reason.

Oh really? OSHA's mission is to "assure safe and healthy working conditions for working men and women by setting and enforcing standards and by providing training, outreach, education and assistance."

Protection from a pandemic seems to fall under "safe and healthy working conditions."

Maybe you think it was designed to protect profits for the already rich?

What's your problem?

Back
Top Bottom