• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sweeping new vaccine mandates for 100 million Americans

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The expansive rules mandate that all employers with more than 100 workers require them to be vaccinated or test for the virus weekly, affecting about 80 million Americans.
And the roughly 17 million workers at health facilities that receive federal Medicare or Medicaid also will have to be fully vaccinated.
Biden is also signing an executive order to require vaccination for employees of the executive branch and contractors who do business with the federal government — with no option to test out.
In addition to the vaccination requirements, Biden moved to double federal fines for airline passengers who refuse to wear masks on flights or to maintain face covering requirements on federal property
The rule would also require that large companies provide paid time off for vaccination.
Biden’s order for executive branch workers and contractors includes exceptions for workers seeking religious or medical exemptions from vaccination,

--

This is indeed, as my article claims, "Sweeping new vaccine mandates"!

I tried my best to capture the salient points in my quotes, above.

Biden's orders are broad, expansive, encompassing, and bold. I've been of two-minds on mandates, but am coming around to accept some mandates - as long as there's reasonable medical, religious, or testing exceptions.

It seems the private employment mandate allows for a 'testing' option, but the federal employment/contractor mandate does not! This last (no test option), causes me great concern.

I believe those who refuse to vaccinate, but are willing to take other reasonable measures like testing, masking, and social distancing - should have the opportunity to act in good faith without being forced to put a drug in their arm. At least at this point in time. I just can't quite get over my reticence to mandate an individual being forced to drug themselves, without allowing some other reasonable alternative to those willing to act in good faith.

In addition, I fear private employers may become emboldened by the federal 'no test vaccine mandate', believing the now have license to go to that extent with their private-citizen non-government employees. We've often seen administrative policy towards federal employees soon becomes adopted by private industry. As example, employee drug testing comes to mind - something I'm dead against.

Anyway, I usually don't get so personally opinionated in my MSN OP's - but as I said, I'm torn on this subject. We need to vaccinate & better address this Covid spread. We need to rake masks, sanitation, distance, and other mitigation more seriously. All, without doubt. And, that means most of us should get vaccinated. But man, I just can't cross the boundary to say 'vaccinate without any other recourse'.

Last edited:
I believe those who refuse to vaccinate, but are willing to take other reasonable measures like testing, masking, and social distancing - should have the opportunity to act in good faith without being forced to put a drug in their arm. At least at this point in time. I just can't quite get over my reticence to mandate an individual being forced to drug themselves, without allowing some other reasonable alternative to those willing to act in good faith.

In addition, I fear private employers may become emboldened by the federal 'no test vaccine mandate', believing the now have license to go to that extent with their private-citizen non-government employees. We've often seen administrative policy towards federal employees soon becomes adopted by private industry. As example, employee drug testing comes to mind - something I'm dead against.

Anyway, I usually don't get so personally opinionated in my MSN OP's - but as I said, I'm torn on this subject. We need to vaccinate & better address this Covid spread. We need to rake masks, sanitation, distance, and other mitigation more seriously. All, without doubt. And, that means most of us should get vaccinated. But man, I just can't cross the boundary to say 'vaccinate without any other recourse'.

Torn as well, thoughts revolving around "how slippery is that slope? And steep?"

Someone could always cite in the future such a thing as straight-up mandated vaccination across the board as a slope. I might wonder whether it's relevant, since ultimately whatever is done on the slope must still be approved by the public. Are we that sure something like mandatory vaccination with good intent is so sure to create a state of things in which people blindly accepted mandatory parades of horribles?

On the other hands, we've had rationing. FOOD controlled.

Torn as well, thoughts revolving around "how slippery is that slope? And steep?"

Someone could always cite in the future such a thing as straight-up mandated vaccination across the board as a slope. I might wonder whether it's relevant, since ultimately whatever is done on the slope must still be approved by the public. Are we that sure something like mandatory vaccination with good intent is so sure to create a state of things in which people blindly accepted mandatory parades of horribles?

On the other hands, we've had rationing. FOOD controlled.

Beside crossing the bridge I never want to cross, I do not believe we are at a point where proper mitigation can't be an option for those that adamantly refuse to get vaccinated.

The big problem is in the unvaccinated needing to act in good faith in their mitigation measures. I suspect most of us, that are vaccinated, have little faith in the unvaccinated acting in good faith (& execution!).

--

Biden's orders are broad, expansive, encompassing, and bold. I've been of two-minds on mandates, but am coming around to accept some mandates - as long as there's reasonable medical, religious, or testing exceptions.

It seems the private employment mandate allows for a 'testing' option, but the federal employment/contractor mandate does not! This last (no test option), causes me great concern.

Honestly my biggest concern with this is I simply feel that something this sweeping and wide spread should have to be passed as a law. Not by executive order.
While I agree that everyone who can, should get vaccinated but next time it may be something much less agreeable to. Our government was not set up with the president to have this much power.
One American should not have this much power. Even if it is the president.

Didn’t the Biden administration say they didn’t have the authority to do this? I’d be curious to see what legal argument they have. It sounds like they’re doing something they know is unconstitutional in hopes that people will be forced to get the vaccination before the Supreme Court rules it down.

--

i have a feeling that there's gonna be a lot of people going to FB jail after this news. LOL

Don't the Democrats say "my body, my choice"? I guess that no longer applies. The Fuhrer knows best will be their new motto.

--

One word... "Unconstitutional"
Is the acting dictator Biden forgetting something called federalism?

I think the testing should be made as inconvenient and expensive as possible. Require daily rapid tests at employee expense.

Don't the Democrats say "my body, my choice"? I guess that no longer applies. The Fuhrer knows best will be their new motto.
If you don't want to vaccinate you can look for a new job, you can get weekly testing, you can choose not to fly. Choices, choices, choices.

precedence

--

I disagree with the 'weekly testing' option. This is clearly meant to be punitive, to 'encourage' people to get vaccinated, but doesn't serve any real purpose. A 'negative' result isn't 100% negative, and by the time someone is positive (and gets the results back) it's too late to protect anyone.

--

I recall where people thought that quarantines would never happen in the US
Well we saw that and deaths are approx 675K

Daily death rate approaching 2K per day. Now as the weather changes, flu season, more people congregate indoors. How long till it hits 3K+ a day?

Fully vaccinated in many States are well below 60% 1st dose

The newer variant is running wild when mitigation was made available, a vaccine.
So out the door with trusting people to maintain common sense safety measures for Covid.
They refuse to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons and cannot be expected to practice Covid safety

The Govt has a contracted and legal responsibility towards employees and case law

Contractors are just that, contracted and must meet certain standards
Some Universities have mandatory vaccination, with a Religious/Medical exemption
They contract out a number of jobs. The marketplace has been out in front of the Govt on this

Companies that have a testing exception also have a firm end date for testing costs. After that date testing costs are borne by the employee.
Health care plans will raise premiums for those not vaccinated
I do not see a slew of court cases on this headed to SCOTUS

President Biden, made the correct decision

Is this a slippery slope? No as the market is also driving a mandatory vaccine mandate and well ahead of the Govt

In a deadly pandemic, measures will be taken that protect the public safety and that has been upheld by your Supreme Court

Last edited:
Well we saw that and deaths are are approx 675K

Daily death rate approaching 2K per day. Now as the weather changes, flu season, more people congregate indoors. How long till it hits 3K+ a day?

The newer variant is running wild when mitigation was made available, a vaccine.
So out the door with trusting people to maintain common sense safety measures for Covid.
They refuse to be vaccinated for a variety of reasons and cannot be expected to practice Covid safety

The Govt has a contracted and legal responsibility towards employees and case law

Some Universities have mandatory vaccination, with a Religious/Medical exemption
They contract out a number of jobs. The marketplace has been out in front of the Govt on this

Companies that have a testing exception also have a firm end date for testing costs. After that date testing costs are borne by the employee.

Is this a slippery slope? No as the market is also driving a mandatory vaccine mandate and well ahead of the Govt

In a deadly pandemic, measures will be taken that protect the public safety and that has been upheld by your Supreme Court
They really need to be pushing the J&J vaccine more. One and done!

After four years of “Trump is a fascist” it seems pretty odd that people are suddenly okay with a President intentionally violating the constitution for political expediency. I’m curious to hear what legal authority over business the government has to mandate and enforce vaccinations, but only if they 100+ employees :rolleyes:.

Democrats: States can’t enforce immigration law because it’s not their responsibility.
Also Democrats: The Federal government can force your business to become the vaccine police… because… reasons???

Any Star Trek will recognize this: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.

Anyone who has read me knows I am far from a Biden supporter but, on this, I agree with him completely and think it was long overdue/

Well we saw that and deaths are are approx 675K

This is such a true statement.

Society's heath if greater than your freedumb!

After four years of “Trump is a fascist” it seems pretty odd that people are suddenly okay with a President intentionally violating the constitution for political expediency. I’m curious to hear what legal authority over business the government has to mandate and enforce vaccinations, but only if they 100+ employees :rolleyes:.

Democrats: States can’t enforce immigration law because it’s not their responsibility.
Also Democrats: The Federal government can force your business to become the vaccine police… because… reasons???
precedence!

precedence!
Just for the record, 100% of the time someone cites Jacobson they’re wrong.

Back
Top Bottom