• Please keep all posts on the Rittenhouse verdict here: Rittenhouse Verdict. Note the moderator warnings in the thread. The thread will be heavily moderated with a zero tolerance policy for any baiting, flaming, trolling or other rule breaks. Stick to the topic and not the other posters. Thank you.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Suspected Burglar Dead After Homeowner Tied Him to a Tree

Josie

No Day But Today
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Was the rope around his neck and tied to a tree limb??

No, he wasn't lynched. He was taped to the tree with masking tape. His mouth was also taped, though.

ajn678

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
No, he wasn't lynched. He was taped to the tree with masking tape. His mouth was also taped, though.

Allergies suck. Especially when your mouth is taped.

Vox

Voice and Wisdom of God
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Maybe somebody just accidentally squeezed his nose shut for a few minutes.

Tragic accident.

Josie

No Day But Today
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I think he was either dead BEFORE he was tied to the tree and the homeowner is trying to cover up a murder or he had a heart attack in the 10 minutes he was tied to the tree.

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I think he was either dead BEFORE he was tied to the tree and the homeowner is trying to cover up a murder or he had a heart attack in the 10 minutes he was tied to the tree.

Hey Joe, where are you going with that tape in your hands?
I said Hey Joe, where you going with that tape in your hands ?

Goshin

Burned Out Ex-Mod
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Assuming he really was a burglar, I have no sympathy.

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

I'm going down to tape my old lady? You know I caught her messing around with a tree? Am I doing it right?

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I'm going down to tape my old lady? You know I caught her messing around with a tree? Am I doing it right?

Mitch Mitchell would approve!

Captain America

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Well, like the Sheriff said, "Stupid burglar stole some duct tape and got himself all tangled up in it. Cause of death, accidental." :lamo

justabubba

long standing member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
... Stringer told AL.com that Gully – who lives nearby and had a reputation for breaking into homes ...
Johnson’s niece, Simone Johnson, told WALA that Gully’s death has left many people in pain.
“He doesn’t bother anybody,” she said, referring to her uncle. “He’ll help you if you need helping, so the family just hates what happened.
the thief doesn't bother anybody, insists the niece

clearly a suicide

Kobie

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Probably asphyxiation, then.

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Presented for those too young to understand the reference. :peace

Last edited:

Patrickt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Jumping on him and tying him up, fine. Wrapping his head in layers of duct tape I don't understand unless the guy was trying to kill him. Actually, if he had duct tape I don't know why he didn't use that to restrain his hands and feet. It works.

Common Sense 1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
There is more to this story. Details at 10!

"So the 68-year-old decided to take matters into his own hands on Friday night by springing a trap, Washington County Sheriff Richard Stringer told Fox affiliate WALA.

In an attempt to make it look like nobody was home, Johnson parked his vehicle at a neighbor’s home and returned to his abode and waited, according to Al.com.

Sitting near his back door, Johnson told police, he turned the lights off and placed a car mirror near a window so he could see what was happening outside, according to WALA."

Cryptic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Jumping on him and tying him up, fine. Wrapping his head in layers of duct tape I don't understand unless the guy was trying to kill him.

If he was trying to kill him, he would have just shot him when he broke the back door down. My guess is that he wrapped the guys head for theatrical effect- and accidently killed him. Even still, I would not press charges against him.

Casper

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hard to have any sympathy for the burglar, will have to wait for the results of a ME to know how he died. Had he entered my home the cause of death would have been simple lead poisoning resulting in too many leaks.

Risky Thicket

Sewer Rat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can't whip your butt he'll just shoot you.

year2late

IIJAFM
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Hard to have any sympathy for the burgler, but if it goes forward the law may have trouble with his methods.

If he had a gun and fired a shot and the guy was incapacitated.....the first shot would have been fine, but at the point he is no longer a threat a jury might have issues.

He had gotten the hands.....it would have been a lot less trouble to get the feet.

But like I said, hard to have any sympathy for the burglar.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am sensing a stress/psych defense if it goes to trial.

Top Bottom