• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Survey: Nearly 110 Million Americans Have a Gun at Home

NonoBadDog

Hates Kittens
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
A recent survey found that 44 percent of respondents either own a gun or live with somebody who does, suggesting that some 110 million Americans live in a house with firearms.
The latest Pew Research Center poll, conducted between Aug. 9 and 16, found 31 percent of those surveyed own a gun, the highest number in the poll’s history. Another 13 percent reported living with somebody who owns a firearm. Twelve percent said they own their own firearm and live with somebody else who does. A slim majority, 51 percent, said nobody in their household owns a firearm, the lowest number in the poll’s history.
The latest United States Census Bureau estimate pegs the number of adults living in the country at 247,813,910. If Pew’s survey is correct then at least 109,038,120 Americans have a gun in their home.

Furthermore, gun rights enjoyed more passionate support, with 46 percent of supporters saying they “strongly agreed” with the importance of protecting gun rights, while only 37 percent of gun control supporters felt the same level of intensity.
Fifty-eight percent of those polled said they believe guns do more to protect people from becoming victims of crime than they put people’s safety at risk. Only 37 percent of people said the opposite.
Well, we can throw that old Pew poll away. I still don't believe this one is accurate but it is more accurate than the last one. With all these guns around every household should have at least one death if you follow the logic of gun control fear mongers.

Well, we can throw that old Pew poll away. I still don't believe this one is accurate but it is more accurate than the last one. With all these guns around every household should have at least one death if you follow the logic of gun control fear mongers.

Such surveys are difficult in the face of current anti-gun rhetoric where bans and such restrictions are under discussion. People simply do not want to be identified as firearm owners even via a phone number.

Being a firearm owner does not make one immune to gun controls propaganda as witnessed by the number of firearm owners who currently support absolutely useless background check and registration. It is by loosing such people to gun control that this fight will be lost.

Last edited:
Such surveys are difficult in the face of current anti-gun rhetoric where bans and such restrictions are under discussion. People simply do not want to be identified as firearm owners even via a phone number.

Being a firearm owner does not make one immune to gun controls propaganda as witnessed by the number of firearm owners who currently support absolutely useless background check and registration. It is by loosing such people to gun control that this fight will be lost.

Unfortunately the anti-2nd amendment trash has the pro-2nd amendment side beat when it comes to propaganda. Anti-2nd amendment trash propaganda is in the news as well as the TV shows people watch.For example in one tv show I seem portray gun owners as idiots who conspiracy believing loons who accidentally shoot themselves(The Carmichael show season 1 episode six) Or in a comedy central show the comedian spews anti-2nd amendment trash lies and has anti-2nd amendment trash on her show lie about their anti-2nd amendment intentions(Inside Amy Schumer)

44%??

Another example of shoddy republican math. The US has around 320M people (ex undocumented) and was last at 250M in the early eighties I also feel bad for children who have no choice in the matter and are gravely endangered.

44%??

Another example of shoddy republican math. The US has around 320M people (ex undocumented) and was last at 250M in the early eighties I also feel bad for children who have no choice in the matter and are gravely endangered.

Try reading again please, " pegs the number of adults living in the country at 247,813,910. "

Try reading again please, " pegs the number of adults living in the country at 247,813,910. "

The stupid math survey went on to conclude that 109M Americans have guns in their households. I guess children aren't Americans.

Troubling

44%??

Speaking of flawed. Your premise assumes 1 person per household. Your reading comprehension also needs a little work.

From the article:

A recent survey found that 44 percent of respondents either own a gun or live with somebody who does, suggesting that some 110 million Americans live in a house with firearms.

The numbers:

Population - 320 million
Households - 125 million
Avg persons/households - 2.5

All rounded numbers.

The stupid math survey went on to conclude that 109M Americans have guns in their households. I guess children aren't Americans.

Troubling

When were children legally able to own a weapon(s).....

How many children own a house?

Oh wait.... though you guys want to restrict weapons more...... so why did you want to include children in it now?

Make up your mind...

BTW I dont agree with the poll either as its a blanket statement.... but the point of the matter is..... even with the 44% of people taking a survey, More gun control on those 44%...... Its not the 44% you need to worry about.......

its the children....the criminals.....the unstable adults, the Stable adults facing moral issues.......Not the 44% that actually poses a firearm....

Speaking of flawed. Your premise assumes 1 person per household. Your reading comprehension also needs a little work.

From the article:

The numbers:

Population - 320 million
Households - 125 million
Avg persons/households - 2.5

All rounded numbers.

If Pew’s survey is correct then at least 109,038,120 Americans have a gun in their home.

Stupid republican math................

I was about to say something about comprehension but that much is obvious. I guess it is the average time spent by some people in examining facts. Some are just looking for something they can grasp and throw back to ease that feeling of discomfort in reading anything positive about firearms

If Pew’s survey is correct then at least 109,038,120 Americans have a gun in their home.

Stupid republican math................

And the problem with that figure is you don't believe it possible or you can show it is not?

It is entirely possible - the poor children have no say in the matter. However using their own stupid data one does not arrive at 44%

To be fair it is probable that they do not consider children Americans.

But fetuses are!

No, you really can't.

They weren't doing a survey to determine what percentage of Americans own guns. They were asking peoples attitudes about guns, and as is normal in surveys, provide a profile of the survey respondents.

I still don't believe this one is accurate but it is more accurate than the last one.
Why, because it's higher? Please.

With all these guns around every household should have at least one death if you follow the logic of gun control fear mongers.
:roll:

44%??

I noticed that a plethora of people have corrected you so I will let it stand that you didn't read the article.

Troubling

My home in Maine had various rifles leaning against the wall near the back door of the kitchen. The younger kids never gave them a second look.

I noticed that a plethora of people have corrected you so I will let it stand that you didn't read the article.[/QUOT

A plethora of people are retarded and can't read.

From the article

The latest United States Census Bureau estimate pegs the number of adults living in the country at 247,813,910. If Pew’s survey is correct then at least 109,038,120 Americans have a gun in their home.

Now the numerator is "adult" Americans but the divisor is Americans. Last I checked those from 1 day to 18 years old were Americans.

Folks you need to read for understanding.

Math is HARD!

LOL

People will find every single little nook and cranny to find an error in someone statement...... 99% of us got the point.... Instead of digesting the point of the thread, you want to point out how in accurate the math is and the difference between the implied "American" was used...

Good grief Charlie Brown..........

People will find every single little nook and cranny to find an error in someone statement...... 99% of us got the point.... Instead of digesting the point of the thread, you want to point out how in accurate the math is and the difference between the implied "American" was used...

serious discussion seems to take a back seat to baiting gun owners. which of course prove the point I have been constantly making-gun restrictionists only pretend that inhibiting criminals is their goal. Their real motivation is to harass and insult people who don't buy into their political views.

Last edited:

Precision is important, Thank god none of you are responsible for sending rockets to Mars

"Sorry boss I did the thrust calculations and it was between 30 and 44% I went with the higher % just to be safe."

Precision is important, Thank god none of you are responsible for sending rockets to Mars

Sorry boss I did the thrust calculations and it was between 30 and 44% I went with the higher % just to be safe.

I have watched your silly posts for a few days now. other than trying to bait gun rights advocates, do you actually have any really point to your posts? we get the fact that you don't like gun owners and think they are somehow loathsome to you. But you have yet to make any rational points. Why don't you tell us what changes in the laws you want so we can point out how silly your desired changes are

I have watched your silly posts for a few days now. other than trying to bait gun rights advocates, do you actually have any really point to your posts? we get the fact that you don't like gun owners and think they are somehow loathsome to you. But you have yet to make any rational points. Why don't you tell us what changes in the laws you want so we can point out how silly your desired changes are

The answer to your first question is no. From post 1 to the latest. On every topic.

"Sorry boss I did the thrust calculations and it was between 30 and 44% I went with the higher % just to be safe."

Precision is important, when you are sending a person to the moon.... This is a survey, done for the benefit of whom? Its a survey, not an election, the numbers could be total BS... but the point of the survey and they whole thread had its own implication.

Rather than discussing the actual POINT... you want to dissect the math.... Im an idiot.....I am terrible at math, but I surely understood the point of the survey...... You seemed to have missed a good chance to defend your point... but instead took the silly route....and well.....looked silly.......

I have made many great points BELIEVE me. Most having nothing to do with guns, Many many people have told me so. Here I made a minor point about math and several other people took issue with my very good math so I had to correct them.

I'm guessing this stems from the proliferation of madrassas and private Christian schools in our communities.

I have made many great points BELIEVE me. Most having nothing to do with guns, Many many people have told me so. Here I made a minor point about math and several other people took issue with my very good math so I had to correct them.

I'm guessing this stems from the proliferation of madrassas and private Christian schools in our communities.

My apologies, you may have had great points, I indeed have joined the site as of recent, unfortunately, my first impression was biased, so please excuse me for my judgement to you. Regardless If you are jaded because of the constant attacks from other members.... I would still like to see a couple of post that represent your cause rather than a blind attack at the specific contents error rather than the point....

I spell like crap, I type like crap, I dont proof read and make typing errors all the time, but I am sure you get my point....for the most part...... So arguing with my points fare better than criticizing my grammar right LOL?

My apologies, you may have had great points, I indeed have joined the site as of recent, unfortunately, my first impression was biased, so please excuse me for my judgement to you. Regardless If you are jaded because of the constant attacks from other members.... I would still like to see a couple of post that represent your cause rather than a blind attack at the specific contents error rather than the point....

I spell like crap, I type like crap, I dont proof read and make typing errors all the time, but I am sure you get my point....for the most part...... So arguing with my points fare better than criticizing my grammar right LOL?

Rico's a new member too. Hasn't been here long.

Neither have I, but I've learned quite a lot in my 5 months of being here.

Back
Top Bottom