• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Steve Scalise Honored Guest at White Supremicist Convention?

Re: House Majority Whip Steve Scalise Spoke At White Supremacist Conference In 2002

Google 'Steve Scalise and racism' and do a little reading. :roll:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/u...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
“Twelve years ago, I spoke to many different Louisiana groups as a state representative, trying to build support for legislation that focused on cutting wasteful state spending, eliminating government corruption and stopping tax hikes,” Mr. Scalise said. “One of the many groups that I spoke to regarding this critical legislation was a group whose views I wholeheartedly condemn. It was a mistake I regret, and I emphatically oppose the divisive racial and religious views groups like these hold. I am very disappointed that anyone would try to infer otherwise for political gain.”

The furor recalled an episode in 2002, the year Mr. Scalise spoke to the group, when Senator Trent Lott of Mississippi resigned as the Republican Senate leader after expressing regret that then-Senator Strom Thurmond of South Carolina had not been elected when he ran for president as a segregationist in 1948.

Seeing that Duke was not present
In an interview on Monday with The Washington Post, Mr. Duke described Mr. Scalise as a “nice guy” who had been invited to the EURO conference by two Duke associates. Mr. Duke was out of town at the time of the conference, and spoke to attendees by phone and video links.

And then we have this
In 2004, Mr. Scalise and some other Louisiana Republicans were sharply critical of Mr. Duke when he sought to run for Congress as a Republican.

“David Duke is an embarrassment to our district, and his message of hate only serves to divide us,” Mr. Scalise said, according to a February 2004 news account in New Orleans.

Nope.
But he is a public figure.
Was that a requirement.
Steve Scalise is a Representative to Louisianan's 1st district; he has been found to be present during a white supremacist gathering in 2002. Al Sharpton is a Baptist minister and a radio talk show host. How many votes to you think Al gets in Congress? ;)

Steve Scalise is a Representative to Louisianan's 1st district; he has been found to be present during a white supremacist gathering in 2002. Al Sharpton is a Baptist minister and a radio talk show host. How many votes to you think Al gets in Congress? ;)
Bob, ya have to try harder. OK?
Here ya go.

Al Sharpton at the White House | National Review Online

He stands solemnly with Michael Brown’s family at televised press conferences. He appears alongside Eric Garner’s grieving widow on Meet the Press. He delivers nightly sermons on race from his prime-time perch at MSNBC. Though the rehabilitation is far from perfect, it’s a far cry from the days of Tawana Brawley, Freddie’s Fashion Mart, and “white interlopers.”

How to explain the strange new respect accorded to Sharpton? Start with the White House.

Considered politically toxic by Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, Sharpton has been enthusiastically embraced by President Obama. He has bragged about helping to pick a new attorney general and communed with the current one. In fact, a much-quoted Politico profile last summer described Sharpton as Obama’s “go-to man on race.”

Given the reports of phone calls and text messages frequently exchanged between Sharpton and top Obama officials, a complete accounting of the relationship may be impossible. But a perusal of the White House visitor log — which shows 61 visits by Sharpton since 2009 — illustrates the extraordinary access Sharpton has had to the president and his top advisers

Bob, ya have to try harder. OK?
Here ya go.

Al Sharpton at the White House | National Review Online

He stands solemnly with Michael Brown’s family at televised press conferences. He appears alongside Eric Garner’s grieving widow on Meet the Press. He delivers nightly sermons on race from his prime-time perch at MSNBC. Though the rehabilitation is far from perfect, it’s a far cry from the days of Tawana Brawley, Freddie’s Fashion Mart, and “white interlopers.”
Nothing against the law about appearing at functions speaking about things you believe in. Fox News has been keeping right up with everyone else talking about race. Does that worry you, too?

How to explain the strange new respect accorded to Sharpton? Start with the White House.

Considered politically toxic by Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, Sharpton has been enthusiastically embraced by President Obama. He has bragged about helping to pick a new attorney general and communed with the current one. In fact, a much-quoted Politico profile last summer described Sharpton as Obama’s “go-to man on race.”

Given the reports of phone calls and text messages frequently exchanged between Sharpton and top Obama officials, a complete accounting of the relationship may be impossible. But a perusal of the White House visitor log — which shows 61 visits by Sharpton since 2009 — illustrates the extraordinary access Sharpton has had to the president and his top advisers
So what's your point? If someone visits the White House enough times the President will cave in to that person's wants and desires?

I can disprove that right now.

John Boehner has visited the White House almost 50 times and Barrack Obama and him still don't see eye to eye. :shrug:

Nothing against the law about appearing at functions speaking about things you believe in. Fox News has been keeping right up with everyone else talking about race. Does that worry you, too?

So what's your point? If someone visits the White House enough times the President will cave in to that person's wants and desires?

I can disprove that right now.

John Boehner has visited the White House almost 50 times and Barrack Obama and him still don't see eye to eye. :shrug:

Quite the rebuttal.
Guess you do not see as you do not wish to.

Thank You. Enjoy your evening and Happy New Year to ya. ;)

I had hoped you would learn more about Sharptons influence, nationwide.
The little fellow mentioned in the OP. Well we shall see how he does.
By the way I do enjoy our posts.
Disagree with those on this OP, but thanks for the fair discussion.
Polite as well. That is a welcome change from other Boards.
So, Happy New Year to you, your loved ones and family. All the best in the coming year.

Re: House Majority Whip Steve Scalise Spoke At White Supremacist Conference In 2002

:lamo

Is it perhaps - just maybe kinda sorta, that I wanted Thrilla's interpretation for the benefit of discussion, and that I didn't need you interloping?

But - you just had to say something - right?

Neh, that's not it.

Thank You. Enjoy your evening and Happy New Year to ya. ;)

Happy New Year to you, [COLOR="#000080"]Bob N[/COLOR] and to all at DP.

It's beginning to look like Scalise might survive this kerfuffle, but he certainly won't help the GOP pick up any votes from minority groups.

I lived in Southeast Louisiana for about 20 years working in the oilfield and I've got Scalise pegged. The man is what he is and all of the spin in the world won't change that.

He didn't break the law by speaking to that racist group, but he also didn't help himself or the GOP.

Everyone in Louisiana knows who David Duke is and what he supports. Those who claim otherwise are liars.

Back
Top Bottom