• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Staying Home to Teach the Dems a Lesson

Personally, I think stupid people should not be allowed to vote. But, I would approve of a law that only those paying federal income taxes should be allowed to vote. In fact, we could call it stock in the country. For every dollar you pay in federal income taxes, you get that many shares (votes) of the country.

With multipiers for degrees. PhDs in Math and Physics should be counted far greater than everyone else. Followed by PhDs in Chemistry, then Biology, then Engineering. Everyone without a PhD in hard sciences or engineering gets a penalty.

OK, well to show that I'm fair and open, those with M.S. in the hard sciences and engineering don't get a penalty.

lol

Personally, I think stupid people should not be allowed to vote. But, I would approve of a law that only those paying federal income taxes should be allowed to vote. In fact, we could call it stock in the country. For every dollar you pay in federal income taxes, you get that many shares (votes) of the country.
So rich people, who determine their own salaries and most of everyone else's pay already, will also get to determine the laws of our country, which could mean making it impossible for anyone in lower classes to vote or change anything and allowing them to change even more laws in their favor.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

MORTON: What I would say was the last domino to fall for me was seeing Bernie get shut out this year after being shut out in 2016. I didn't think he was a perfect guy. I didn't love him or see him as, like, this cult of personality. But I saw him as, like, a very real change to what the legacy of politics in this country had been.

Bernie did not get the votes he needed this time around, not by several country miles and that is because even FEWER young voters showed up to cast a vote for him than last time in 2016, and now they want to blame everyone else, stunning.

I am 100% serious when I say that I doubt I will survive another four years of Trump.
Too vulnerable, both healthwise and for other reasons.
My wife and son will not survive either, literally. Our health has us on the precipice right now as it is.

So, if these idiots refuse to help get rid of Trump, and Trump wins again, it is THEY who will suffer the most because it is highly unlikely there will be another democratically held election of any kind for a generation or more and it is also very likely we will wind up in the very last world war to be fought, too, with a civil war raging at home at the same time.

The three of us will most likely be six feet under before 2024 arrives, and these idiot kids will be the ones who get to deal with the consequences, and their "lesson".
I mourn for my daughter though, she is the only reasonably healthy one and she is voting Trump out.

This was something I heard on NPR the other day and thought it rather interesting.

Gen Z Voters On The Issues That Matter Most To Them Ahead Of The Election : NPR

Young voters are traditionally the least likely to vote anyway, I think it's a shame that folk won't vote though, it's an important aspect to the Republic and our main tool by which we can control the government. That being said, I think this "stay at home will teach them a lesson" argument is flawed. You're not going to teach the Republocrats a lesson by sitting at home. I think 2016/2020 is a perfect example of that. After Hillary lost, the DNC should have learned a lesson, that their Old Guard isn't going to cut it anymore, they need to make changes. And then they went with Biden. For some, this was a bridge too far. A repeat of 2016 and a demonstration that the Democrat Party is not willing to move. There's a lot of lackluster support around Biden, the best the Democrats have to say about Biden is that "He's not Trump".

I don't think the people interviewed are alone, and I'm not sure if the main party really counts on the young vote anyway. But if they want to teach the Republocrats a lesson, they'd vote 3rd party. The only way to teach the Republocrats a lesson is to threaten their power, and the only way to threaten their power is to demonstrate that you are willing to vote, you will vote, but you won't vote for them. I think anyone who is just going to stay home should instead vote 3rd party. If you start to aggregate support into the 3rd parties, the main Oligarchy has to respond because they can end up losing out votes to the 3rd party and find themselves in a position where they cannot win elections. And the only way for them to get back to winning elections would be to change their platform to recapture out those votes.

Not voting at all is just as good to the Republocrats as voting for them. Lessons cannot be taught by support of the Status Quo, the only way to teach them a lesson is to threaten their reign of power.

and your idea of teaching them a lesson is to move the American people to the left? The young voters haven't been around long enough the see what the left will do to society. Hopefully they they will mature , and THEN vote, before they start us on that downhill slide.

Voting 3rd party is too late. Each party has the money to select it's own candidates in the primary to assure only who they want gets enough publicity to be known enough to get a vote. A true grassroots candidate is rare, who ignores the party. The "old guard" Dem party of today is losing what they do because they abandoned Dem principles that lost them the working Americans during the Reagan era. Voters aren't leaving the Dem party, the Dem party has left them. The proof is that the wealth gap widens under Dems the same as under Reps. The median real income hshld does not better in significant wage progression under Dems than under Reps. Our elected reps don't give a **** until, yes, their jobs are threatened. The party doesn't give a **** until the people say so. The voters on the Rep side said so, and we got Trump and the Rep party had to do what their voters wanted them to do or get primaried (though, really, as usual, none of it hardly really got done except judicial appts and Amexit). The voters on the Dem side have yet to say so and Hillary was a lousy leader to rally any to speak up (vote).

Damn! That's good.

The Democrats had a diverse set of candidates, unfortunately for supporters of the candidates outside outside of Joe or Bernie, they just didn't have name recognition to overcome their advantage going in. Bernie had the money and organization and Biden a solid base of support. Was pretty clear to me early on they were going to be the two.

Obama was special and overcame Hillary's advantage, I thought a few other candidates were good, but none had the abilty to connect with voters as Obama.

If Elizaberh had run in 2016 like Bernie wanted her to she would have lost to Hillary just like Bernie did but she would've had the progressives fully behind her this time around along the grass root organization Bernie had built. Understand why she decided to defer to Hillary but wish she had run. Think she would've been our next president.

It's going take a very special 3rd party candidate to overcome our 2 party system stranglehold. I think it's possible, it's going to take someone who has built name recognition and trust, charismatic and doesn't have too much baggage or significant ties to either party. Seemingly impossible, but growing dissatisfaction with both party's might give someone an opening in the future.

Wish more people voted, regardless of who they chose. Most have come to the conclusion it doesn't matter who's in charge and honestly I would have a very difficult time proving they're wrong. There is good reason to be cynical and not trust politicians to have our best interests.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you were honest, the only thing "special" about Obama was that he was blackish. He was unprepared for the job, and didn't get any better in eight years. Trump is much the same.

This was something I heard on NPR the other day and thought it rather interesting.

Young voters are traditionally the least likely to vote anyway, I think it's a shame that folk won't vote though, it's an important aspect to the Republic and our main tool by which we can control the government. That being said, I think this "stay at home will teach them a lesson" argument is flawed. You're not going to teach the Republocrats a lesson by sitting at home. I think 2016/2020 is a perfect example of that. After Hillary lost, the DNC should have learned a lesson, that their Old Guard isn't going to cut it anymore, they need to make changes. And then they went with Biden. For some, this was a bridge too far. A repeat of 2016 and a demonstration that the Democrat Party is not willing to move. There's a lot of lackluster support around Biden, the best the Democrats have to say about Biden is that "He's not Trump".

I don't think the people interviewed are alone, and I'm not sure if the main party really counts on the young vote anyway. But if they want to teach the Republocrats a lesson, they'd vote 3rd party. The only way to teach the Republocrats a lesson is to threaten their power, and the only way to threaten their power is to demonstrate that you are willing to vote, you will vote, but you won't vote for them. I think anyone who is just going to stay home should instead vote 3rd party. If you start to aggregate support into the 3rd parties, the main Oligarchy has to respond because they can end up losing out votes to the 3rd party and find themselves in a position where they cannot win elections. And the only way for them to get back to winning elections would be to change their platform to recapture out those votes.

Not voting at all is just as good to the Republocrats as voting for them. Lessons cannot be taught by support of the Status Quo, the only way to teach them a lesson is to threaten their reign of power.

I don't think our elected officials have that much control over government. It's all the unelected folks in government that has the control. They're there forever or retirement. Our elected officials go off to serve 2 years, 4 years, 6 years and if reelected more. Now these unelected officials can wait out any elected official and control on with whatever agenda they have.

As for political parties, the two major parties owe their hearts and souls to corporations, wall street firms, lobbyist, special interest groups, mega money donors etc. That's where they get their tens and hundreds of millions of dollars to run their organization and campaigns. Sure, some elected officials will talk bad about these folks now and then, but they do so with a wink and a nod. The old don't worry symbol, I'm going to say bad things about you, but I'll still take good care of you.

Have we really seen any major change in the direction of government since WWII? No, our elected officials play around the edges, sometimes making it seem there's been a change of direction. But there really hasn't. The government continues to grow, continues to become more powerful, continues to take more and more control of our daily lives. No change in presidents, in congress is going to change that.

These unelected folks who control most of everything are very good at making the populace think they have a choice, that their vote counts. But in reality, that's just for show. It doesn't matter to them whether the Republicans are in charge or the Democrats are. Their control is solid. Republocrats is a good word. That is exactly what the two major parties are to these folks.

If you were honest, the only thing "special" about Obama was that he was blackish. He was unprepared for the job, and didn't get any better in eight years. Trump is much the same.
Obama was a relatively unknown, and was able to overcome many obstacles including being black to become the first black POTUS. Imo, you have to very special to accomplish what he did. As far as what he accomplished as President, I will leave it to historians, and not you..

Obama was a relatively unknown, and was able to overcome many obstacles including being black to become the first black POTUS. Imo, you have to very special to accomplish what he did. As far as what he accomplished as President, I will leave it to historians, and not you..

Being black was no obstacle. It was an advantage that negated the requirement to have some experience other than being a "community organizer".

What's funny is that the dems always count on the youth vote, but ever since the voting age was lowered to 18, the youth vote has split along essentially the same lines as older voters.

Also, they are trying to teach the *democrats* a lesson, because they have not processed the idea that, while their vote counts, so does everyone else's. They voted for Sanders or whomever and they didn't get that person, so they are determined to make things worse as a "lesson", by allowing people that specifically hate *them* into office.

It's not rational, but I don't expect it to be. Like Trump voters, the "bernie or bust" crowd are essentially populists.

"Blackish"?

Being black was no obstacle. It was an advantage that negated the requirement to have some experience other than being a "community organizer".
Sure, anything you say smallvoice.....

Bernie did not get the votes he needed this time around, not by several country miles and that is because even FEWER young voters showed up to cast a vote for him than last time in 2016, and now they want to blame everyone else, stunning.

Bernie voters can't be arsed to actually go to the polling station. Same thing as 2016. He's way ahead in polls, but none of the hipsters actually vote.

So, while talking about a 3rd party, one, the Trumplican party, has already emerged and taken over, just not formally.

BLAMMO!!! Nailed that hard. The Party of Trump IS the new third party.

Not voting only serves the personal agenda of Trump. Wrapping it in high sounding arguments only is putting lipstick on a very ugly pig.

Since they didn't get their preferred candidate, the 21st-century version of George McGovern (Bernie), they won't vote against the 21st-century version of George Wallace (Trump) - and they are so self-absorbed, they think that's a moral position to have.

Since they didn't get their preferred candidate, the 21st-century version of George McGovern (Bernie), they won't vote against the 21st-century version of George Wallace (Trump) - and they are so self-absorbed, they think that's a moral position to have.

People taking that position have probably never picked a winner.

Not voting only serves the personal agenda of Trump. Wrapping it in high sounding arguments only is putting lipstick on a very ugly pig.

It’s a Trumpster wish.

Which is why a Trumpster promoted it.

People taking that position have probably never picked a winner.

The object of the exercise is not to pick the winner.

That’s what you do in a football pool.

Damn! That's good.

There goes that small voice in the back of your mind again. I don't listen to my Jiminy Cricket often enough and have to pay for it. Sometimes dearly.

The dumb**** press talks about autocracy when we're ALREADY an autocracy. The deal just hasn't been sealed. And the Dems look on. Cogitate, ruminate, contemplate. No action. Trump and the Reps excoriate them and who they pretend to represent. And the Dems respond weak/meek and late, if ever. No Dem will do a thing effective until they are replaced by one who cares and is willing to take action or the Dems we have now see a parade of voters marching conclusively and step in front to act/pretend that they are a leader.

The Republicans not holding office, the "Lincolns", are against Trump and want to "take back" the party after Trump. But what about the voters that brought in Trump because they didn't like the establishment that made so many promises unkept? How well will that go over? Even though Trump promised even more than the establishment and hasn't delivered, but for appointing con judges and global withdrawal (Amexit).

I didn't get my way so I'm not going to play. Spoiled brat. Got us Trump in 16. Might prove to be just as bad in 20

Yea, but THAT is how badly the Democratic Party is being run today. All the Dems had to do is put up a halfway decent candidate, and Trump would have been decimated in BOTH of the elections. Hard to find worse candidates than Hilary or Biden.

Back
Top Bottom