• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Standing on a Flight

Ramming speed!

I don’t see how this can be safe during landing. Like what if the plane suffers a landing gear failure and needs to belly down or an emergency landing either on water or a land surface other then a paved runway? What kind of restraint would one wear during turbulence? I like cheap flights as much as the next guy but aviation safety has a history written in blood, I hope the corporate ruling class doesn’t have so much influence they can get away with something like this.... now the libertarians would say “well if you want to risk breaking your neck in a turbulent spot you know the risk when you buy the ticket” and blah blah blah but sorry, I think if you can’t afford a ticket with a seat and belt you shouldn’t be flying

Well, maybe some kid of stackable chairs where there is just enough room for each person below in the stack. That could at least double the capacity and triple it for isle seats.

RyanAir is proof that capitalism absolutely requires regulation.

RyanAir is proof that capitalism absolutely requires regulation.
The fully hosted Belarus vacation is a big hit i am told

Speaking of airlines, just survived my first flight on the 737 MAX.

they could also strap us to the ceiling of the plane. think of all of that wasted space on the ceiling. i was also thinking that we could put quarter machines next to the seats. you put a quarter in every thirty seconds or so, and if you run out of quarters, you get ejected. have fun in the North Sea, you quarterless bums.

A holiday in the sun is nice wherever it is even though far away places can have a much more different culture than closer countries. For instance if you live in England the culture of Arabia or Asia will be more diverse than the likes of France or Portugal. Therefore cheap long-distance travel will increase familiarity with unique societies which might prove helpful in the context of current debates around immigration, assimilation and Brexit.

This is absurd.

This is absurd.
Perhaps we could wear helmets like the astronauts!

images

If you could lean back a bit against some kind of cushion, I'd be okay with it. 100% vertical? That's too uncomfortable for me.

The price sounds good. A lot of flights in Europe are short.

The part I don't see as possible to overcome here is that you would still have to be restrained, and while standing up, restraints would hurt, bad. Momentum does not operate the same for a standing person as it does for a sitting one. Any restraints on a standing person would be painful when in motion.

It is interesting how they mention it would be like roller coaster restraints here because most roller coaster restraints for standing coasters aren't particularly comfortable, but you only have to deal with them for less than 5 minutes in almost all cases and you have the motion of the roller coaster, which usually includes looping, taking off some of the pressure there. This would not be the case when it comes to flying and the motion involved in ascending or descending, turbulence.

“Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary will announce a proposal today for "vertical seats", which will provide standing-room spots on short-haul flights for a cost of about £5 ($A8.90)...
However, the newspaper reported that safety officials at the European Aviation Safety Agency said the plan was unlikely to pass the regulator's requirements.”
https://www.traveller.com.au/ryanair-plan-for-standingroom-vertical-seats-zru8

One possible benefit of cheaper standing seats is for the long-distance destinations rather than just short-duration flights. For example if you live in Ireland then the cost of living is a lot cheaper in destinations like Turkey (€1≈10 lira) or Croatia (€1≈7.5 kuna) compared to Spain or Italy. Someone could stay in a longer holiday for the same price once they get there. However the initial travel costs to go there are more expensive due to the longer journey. Cheaper flights would help open up further away yet less expensive countries for those on a budget. It might be uncomfortable but perhaps you could have options where you stand during the first half and then sit the second half of the trip. Or else we could act chivalrously and let the men stand while the women and children sit! I know take-off and landing would be difficult even though it’d be fine once you reach altitude. It wouldn’t be like standing on a bus where you feel the momentum pushes you at every junction and traffic stop! I don’t know much about plane safety though. What’s your impression?
Ryanair tried to eliminate restrooms on short flights a few years ago. That proposal didn't pass muster either.

Not only that but what about kids/infants, handicapped, the elderly, those with physical ailments, and welp the claustrophobic?
Well it's Ryanair so probably they go into the baggage compartment, for a fee of course.

Being able to stand on an aircraft is one way to debunk flat earthers :p. Not sure why standing seat would be less costly :/

Because sitting will now become a premium. Literally just sitting will be an “upgrade.”

If we wanted to cut costs even more then passengers could parachute down wherever they needed to get off. You could land in the city centre without the hassle of an airport!

Being able to stand on an aircraft is one way to debunk flat earthers :p. Not sure why standing seat would be less costly :/
A "standing seat"?

Not only that but what about kids/infants, handicapped, the elderly, those with physical ailments, and welp the claustrophobic?
If it reduced the odds I'd have to sit next to kids or especially large individuals I'd be down with it.

Yeah... the last time I flew economy, nimrod in front me slammed his seat back on my knees. His reward for that was having me spend the next 2 1/2 hours kicking the back of his seat. I won't say the thoughts that were going through my head.

Never again. If I can't go business class, I'll take a train or drive.

I don't do cattle class.

Last edited:
If we wanted to cut costs even more then passengers could parachute down wherever they needed to get off. You could land in the city centre without the hassle of an airport!

I don't see anything gong wrong with this. ;)

Back
Top Bottom