• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Spotify

I never know why a certain song will stick and sometimes I'll change my mind about certain ones years later. When I was in my teens I really liked hardcore stuff but it's too extreme for my senses now, plus I was stoned a lot back then...lol

"Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke it's got a catchy beat. I hear his name a lot lately like Adele was on fire for awhile. Funny, initially I wasn't into her sound now I like it. No explanation for taste?

I'm not a fan of Adele. At all. I don't know why, either. :lol: Can't put my finger on it - I just don't like anything she's done. It grates on my nerves like biting on aluminum foil.

No it wasn't mentioned until we registered, and then it was mentioned in the syllabus. I hate to cheap out because my book was only $15. Maybe that's why he's making us do it - to make up for the fact that we don't have to buy an expensive book.

Hmmm, well since text books cost $40-$60 and college quarter is only what? Three months? I guess yer "saving" $10 to $30 is a good way to look at it. ;)

Maybe that's why he's making us do it - to make up for the fact that we don't have to buy an expensive book.

I doubt it. You would probably find out the reason was some excuse for pedagogy-regardless if it was an actual justified decision or not. If the professor somehow is convinced it is important, useful, or necessary, you'll be hard-pressed to argue against it with them.

I ended up discovering that for some professors, employment of new technology was sole justification. Heh, I spent an entire semester arguing about the use of iGoogle and such for public school educators. "It will stay" said she. Less than two years later, we all get the notice that it is going bye bye, for the same reason I argued it was going to go away: if it doesn't make sense for the company to keep it, online products disappear quicker than installed products. Backup of one's materials, which would be important for educators, was never stressed..but hey, THE CLOUD, MAN! IT'S AMAZING AND WILL CHANGE KIDS LIVES...and yadda yadda.

Hmmm, well since text books cost $40-$60 and college quarter is only what? Three months? I guess yer "saving" $10 to $30 is a good way to look at it. ;)

$40 to $60? Not in my neck of the woods. I paid $225 for a Spanish book. I am paying $57 just to rent a book for a quarter.

I'm not a fan of Adele. At all. I don't know why, either. :lol: Can't put my finger on it - I just don't like anything she's done. It grates on my nerves like biting on aluminum foil.

She's got that raspy, old jazz sound that I can take or leave.

Here's a little girl on a French talent show doing a version of an Adele song (Rolling In The Deep) I thought was pretty good.

And this one is a group (Kings of Leon) that only has this one hit I like. It's repetitive but catchy.

Although I will admit, I saw Adele on some awards show, where she'd won another award, and she was talking about being so excited she pissed herself. I thought I was going to piss myself I laughed so hard.

But Fiddy, do you need to pay for it? Isn't there a free version I can use for class? I don't really plan on using it for anything else. I have my own music programs, that are free. :lol:

Spotify used to allow 10 hours per month for free. If the terms of service changed, well, you're **** out of luck. You'll be restricted to such apps as Pandora and iTunes Radio (when that comes out). If the professor has a problem with how it socializes (ie. sends them notifications) with them, then such apps won't be accepted.

$40 to $60? Not in my neck of the woods. I paid $225 for a Spanish book. I am paying $57 just to rent a book for a quarter.

WTF!! LOL

What courses are you taking?!?!? Hands on Nuclear Physics or "How to Build A Better Bomb?" Perhaps Rocket Science at NASA??? LOL Geez woman, I hope it's not some cooking class... ;)

I doubt it. You would probably find out the reason was some excuse for pedagogy-regardless if it was an actual justified decision or not. If the professor somehow is convinced it is important, useful, or necessary, you'll be hard-pressed to argue against it with them.

I ended up discovering that for some professors, employment of new technology was sole justification. Heh, I spent an entire semester arguing about the use of iGoogle and such for public school educators. "It will stay" said she. Less than two years later, we all get the notice that it is going bye bye, for the same reason I argued it was going to go away: if it doesn't make sense for the company to keep it, online products disappear quicker than installed products. Backup of one's materials, which would be important for educators, was never stressed..but hey, THE CLOUD, MAN! IT'S AMAZING AND WILL CHANGE KIDS LIVES...and yadda yadda.

I hated this about teachers that they can't (won't) explain WHY they want something a certain way because the explanation interferes with what they're trying to accomplish.

I did, Fisher. But they didn't listen. I appealed, and showed them my work and they upheld her grade. They said that it was subjective, and that if she gave me an F, then I had to stick with it. I originally went over her head because I was having an issue with something, and I emailed her several times, and phoned her and she never called me back or emailed me back. This particular class was online, and if you are not in a brick-and-mortar classroom, you are tethered to communicating with these teachers via email, phones, etc. If they don't call you or return your emails, you're screwed. She refused to email me back, so I went over her head to see if I could get help with another instructor, and she found out, and que sera sera. :shrug: I've found out you can't fight city hall. :(

I ran into that 1 time to a degree but I did something sneaky the professor did not expect. It was what some call a "contract class" where you had to do certain things to get a D, the D stuff plus some more things to get a C, the C stuff plus some more to get a B, and so on. The prof was hanging me up on the D minimum stuff after he heard me talking all kinds of smack about him in a stairwell. I took the work of someone who had cleared the D stuff and more or less just rephrased it and turned it in and he wouldn't pass it. I then took 5 of my unacceptable work and 5 of the acceptable works I inspired from over his head (i.e. I basically plagiarized in my own words from people who had passed the same assignments) to the Department Head. At first they tried that same discretion stuff with me, so I told them I will see if the Dean and the President of the University and the Trustees would agree because they were all getting copies next. The Department Head then decided to take the time to read the stuff, and I was subsequently allowed to finish the work under another professor and had zero static.

WTF!! LOL

What courses are you taking?!?!? Hands on Nuclear Physics or "How to Build A Better Bomb?" Perhaps Rocket Science at NASA??? LOL Geez woman, I hope it's not some cooking class... ;)

No, darlin'. My $57 rental is American History I. Just American History I. Nothing fancy, nothing special. And my Spanish book was just Spanish. Textbooks are expensive.

I hated this about teachers that they can't (won't) explain WHY they want something a certain way because the explanation interferes with what they're trying to accomplish.

In my case, she tried to explain it, but from my angle it was like I was staring at a neophyte trying to tell me that arming educators with niche online services that won't likely survive inside 6 years (due to a lack of financial backing or a sizable track record of sticking behind their products) helps them understand technology at all.

I ran into that 1 time to a degree but I did something sneaky the professor did not expect. It was what some call a "contract class" where you had to do certain things to get a D, the D stuff plus some more things to get a C, the C stuff plus some more to get a B, and so on. The prof was hanging me up on the D minimum stuff after he heard me talking all kinds of smack about him in a stairwell. I took the work of someone who had cleared the D stuff and more or less just rephrased it and turned it in and he wouldn't pass it. I then took 5 of my unacceptable work and 5 of the acceptable works I inspired from over his head (i.e. I basically plagiarized in my own words from people who had passed the same assignments) to the Department Head. At first they tried that same discretion stuff with me, so I told them I will see if the Dean and the President of the University and the Trustees would agree because they were all getting copies next. The Department Head then decided to take the time to read the stuff, and I was subsequently allowed to finish the work under another professor and had zero static.

Niiiiiiiice. I tried so hard to fight this, but you can only get so far. I gave up and transferred out to another school. This wasn't the first time I'd had issue with this school. It pissed me right off. You know, if you are taking online classes, dammit the instructors should HAVE to contact you. They should HAVE to. And we should be able to complain if they don't. I should have just stayed in the classroom. When I was in a classroom, I had a 3.5 average. But the instructors were right there, and they had to answer you if you had a question. They couldn't ignore you. This last instructor wasn't the first one who failed to return phone calls, but it was the first one I'd failed as a result.

No, darlin'. My $57 rental is American History I. Just American History I. Nothing fancy, nothing special. And my Spanish book was just Spanish. Textbooks are expensive.

But $225.00!!! Was it like from ancient Andalusian and Basque plus all the dialects ever used up until today, with a little Arabic thrown in? LOL You'd do better to buy Spanish Rosetta Stone for $150.00 and test out at the end of the year! :)

Although I will admit, I saw Adele on some awards show, where she'd won another award, and she was talking about being so excited she pissed herself. I thought I was going to piss myself I laughed so hard.

:rofl

I heard her actually say early on that she didn't want all the attention and acclaim but only to sing her music. Many, many artists either don't handle fame well or want a break from the notoriety and all the annoying focus but most of us spend our lives just trying to be somewhat relevant in this world, more less famous or admired. If I could've said something to her it would've been "don't worry it won't last indefinitely, then you might wish you appreciated it more".

Niiiiiiiice. I tried so hard to fight this, but you can only get so far. I gave up and transferred out to another school. This wasn't the first time I'd had issue with this school. It pissed me right off. You know, if you are taking online classes, dammit the instructors should HAVE to contact you. They should HAVE to. And we should be able to complain if they don't. I should have just stayed in the classroom. When I was in a classroom, I had a 3.5 average. But the instructors were right there, and they had to answer you if you had a question. They couldn't ignore you. This last instructor wasn't the first one who failed to return phone calls, but it was the first one I'd failed as a result.

I had no choice. I was on a private scholarship. This was a 4 credit class, I was taking 15 hours, it was too late to add another class, and I had to be full-time which was 12 hours. I was fully prepared to file a lawsuit if necessary because there was no way I could have afforded to stay in school if I lost my scholarship which I would have automatically with any F and tuition was more than my dad even made in a year.

In my case, she tried to explain it, but from my angle it was like I was staring at a neophyte trying to tell me that arming educators with niche online services that won't likely survive inside 6 years (due to a lack of financial backing or a sizable track record of sticking behind their products) helps them understand technology at all.

Sounds like you were smarter than she was. Alan Kay who worked for Xerox and created the GUI for Apple computers learned to read at age 3 and had finished over 150 books before he started school. He said the problem was he already knew what the teachers were telling him was incorrect....lol

One of the eeriest things next to da Vinci's drawings was the predictions of Steve Jobs. If you watch some of his early interviews from 1980-1990 he actually predicted almost everything that happened later with PC's. Spooky kind of genius.

But $225.00!!! Was it like from ancient Andalusian and Basque plus all the dialects ever used up until today, with a little Arabic thrown in? LOL You'd do better to buy Spanish Rosetta Stone for $150.00 and test out at the end of the year! :)

No, but as a bonus, it did come with a gorgeous Hispanic man named Alejandro, to help me translate. :D :D

:rofl

I heard her actually say early on that she didn't want all the attention and acclaim but only to sing her music. Many, many artists either don't handle fame well or want a break from the notoriety and all the annoying focus but most of us spend our lives just trying to be somewhat relevant in this world, more less famous or admired. If I could've said something to her it would've been "don't worry it won't last indefinitely, then you might wish you appreciated it more".

She might have the problem of not having a "word filter" either. :lol: I love Jennifer Lawrence, but the child has no filter. She just gets up and says whatever is on her mind. She jokingly mentioned something once about incest with her brother, and her mother was mortified. The mother knew it was a joke, but she was like, "Baby, work on that filter. Not everyone knows you were joking!"

Part of my Music Appreciation class. We have to get a Spotify account and link it to the professor so he can see our music likes, I guess. :roll: He can just ASK me and I won't have to pay 9.99 a month that way!

God, that is so stupid. I've never heard of such a thing.

I had no choice. I was on a private scholarship. This was a 4 credit class, I was taking 15 hours, it was too late to add another class, and I had to be full-time which was 12 hours. I was fully prepared to file a lawsuit if necessary because there was no way I could have afforded to stay in school if I lost my scholarship which I would have automatically with any F and tuition was more than my dad even made in a year.

Then you were right to fight it. Mine just screwed up my GPA, which didn't affect anything other than my being upset that my GPA dropped. :lol:

Sounds like you were smarter than she was. Alan Kay who worked for Xerox and created the GUI for Apple computers learned to read at age 3 and had finished over 150 books before he started school. He said the problem was he already knew what the teachers were telling him was incorrect....lol

One of the eeriest things next to da Vinci's drawings was the predictions of Steve Jobs. If you watch some of his early interviews from 1980-1990 he actually predicted almost everything that happened later with PC's. Spooky kind of genius.

My middle stepson was that way. He was so knowledgable when it came to European History that he embarrassed his teachers in school.

Oh, you'd think he'd get a bulk rate discount if he's making it a class requirement? One months worth is not too bad at $10 but it's a shame he couldn't think of a free service.

Maybe the professor owns stock in Spotify, or has a cousin that owns it. ;)

Yes they are. I used to get them used at a discount.

Back
Top Bottom