• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Speaking in Tongues

Well, I certainly don't see it that way. I know what should be done for my salvation, and so long as I have breath I will continue. It is God's Spirit, the path to salvation; my various experiences while watching and observing such hidden ordeals solidifies my resolve. It is not torture; it is the mere solemn recognition that death without the Holy Ghost is damnation. Knowing this, that's probably why I've never attempted to do something dangerously foolish, lol.

Of course you don't see it this way, you are in a room with the shades drawn down and are scared too look out the windows.

when you make comments like this:
I am not troubled. Truthfully, I want to recieve His Spirit, and I am afraid of death and eternal hell.

on the heels of arguing that:
You must have the indwelling of the Holy Ghost and be able to Speak in Tongues.

It seems that you are under a great deal of pressure to be able to speak in tongues since you feel that your salvation or the eternal hell that you fear is predicated upon doing so. Nahh not very high stakes to that game at all.

Last edited:
Hm, I'm more solemn and archaic about it. If I were truly afraid I'd undoubtedly be paranoid and anxious about such absolute consequences. If I die without salvation, then "****." There's no use being paralyzed with fear when you can simply keep a calm head and go about your life the best you can.

It's more or less a calm and somnolent recognition of the reality of our existence.

Hm, I'm more solemn and archaic about it. If I were truly afraid I'd undoubtedly be paranoid and anxious about such absolute consequences. If I die without salvation, then "****." There's no use being paralyzed with fear when you can simply keep a calm head and go about your life the best you can.

It's more or less a calm and somnolent recognition of the reality of our existence.

Your statements seem to indicate otherwise, but hey, its your mind, we can point to the windows but cannot make you look through them.

What do you know of it? First is the baptism of water, then the repentance of sin and the infilling of the Holy Ghost.

In the book of Acts, the apostles were filled with the Holy Ghost and spoke in Tongues over 2,000 years ago. They do so today, and are ridiculed just as those in the past.

People say they lie or act; that it is all a facade. My parents have it, as well as some of my friends. I suppose they are facadal? That the hundreds of thousands of them are facadal?

Why have I heard discussions of people from foreign nations that can hear segments of their language in those who Speak in Tongues?

Here is a link I found on a liberal-biased news show that discussed the issue: YouTube - Speaking in Tongues Medical Study proves Holy Spirit praying I tell you this news show is not biased for those who Speak in Tongues.

Will you say they are "drunk", as was said 2,000 years ago?

I want an honest and mature discussion on this issue. What do you think of this?

The Story of Marjoe

One of the best documentaries I've seen. Explains alot of the evangelical tricks and how they get people worked up enough to talk silly.

It's sad that people now a days buy into this stuff.

The Story of Marjoe

One of the best documentaries I've seen. Explains alot of the evangelical tricks and how they get people worked up enough to talk silly.

It's sad that people now a days buy into this stuff.

Let me find a link of a liberals doing such truly scandalous things, and then paint all liberals such. Let us find a liberal con man and take it from there.

Furthermore, Evangelicals typically don't believe in Speaking in Tongues. Typically it is Apostolics and Pentecostals, iirc.

It's not a collection of unintelligible sounds, but the infilling of God's Spirit

--snip--

If you have not deeply discoursed and associated with those who recieved the Holy Ghost, then honestly, you can only go by texts and indirect commentaries --

Out of interest then, how would you interpret the passages in Acts that I quoted? The ones before mention that others thought those speaking in tongues were drunk? Personally, I see more of an Old Testament "Tower of babel" moment where God's modern Pentecostalist followers speak incoherently and in unintelligible ways to each other. If I were religious still, I would possibly look at this being a distraction and confusion of a God's message.

I'm also curious that a whole section of the Christian Church has been built around one small part of the New Testament records - there are so many other references and passages about how Jesus becomes the path to God and only a few that refer to speaking in tongues - how is it that these few small references seem to dictate the manenr and behaviour of a whole branch of the church?

I fully encourage people to speak in tongues, because I find it hilarious. I spent a while looking for youtube videos with people speaking in tongues just so I could laugh at them, but there's really not that much out there. On a similar note, you should watch this, it's HILARIOUS! Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I just find it very funny. People do all sorts of weird and funny things because they think it connects them to something they don't understand. I don't believe in any of it, but if it works for them, that's fine. Especially if it's hilarious, like that vocal alchemy thing. Keep doing that stuff.

Let me find a link of a liberals doing such truly scandalous things, and then paint all liberals such. Let us find a liberal con man and take it from there.

Furthermore, Evangelicals typically don't believe in Speaking in Tongues. Typically it is Apostolics and Pentecostals, iirc.
The reason I bring marjoe up is because it leaves you with a dilemma. Either god has given a self admitted atheist the ability to slap people on the head and make them talk in tongues or the people are faking. Seems to me the most logical conclusion is that the people are faking or lying to themselves. This begs the question, if this guy has done this and faked out thousands or more people in his lifetime what are the chances that most or all of the people who talk in tongues are faking it.

I know its not the polite thing to say but if I'm being honest I think only someone who has completely compartmentalized their brain from their religion can believe in this stuff.

Here is an example that it is not just "utter nonsense" to you. When people recieve the indwelling of the Holy Ghost, they feel a euphoric feeling, as though God's Spirit has entered in, which it does. They... cannot explain the feeling because it is inexplainable. I ask that you ask any who have recieved what it felt like, and I am sure you will hear like responses. I've asked different people from different settings who recieved it what it felt like, then compared results, and found them to be the same. It is evidence that it is not just words, but a Spritual indwelling; there is also a scripture about how people must "keep their lamps/lanterns filled with oil while waiting for the bride/groom to come", that scriptures speaks of staying filled with the Holy Ghost and not backsliding, which some do.

This can also be a symptom of Bipolar illness, or a reaction to abuse.

A lot of people who achieve deep meditation or trance start talking in tongues. It doesn't always make sense but sometimes it does. I've seen baptists do this and IMO they are forcing the act. It's not a genuine revelation, but zeal.

The Bible clearly states that 'tongues' are other people's languages, not incoherent babble:
Acts 2:5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”
I went to a Pentecostal service with a friend in high school who's Uncle was the Pastor. After raising my hands to the heavens and praising the Lord for 30 minutes, the Pastor said to me: "Do you feel that tingling in your fingers? That's the Lord touching you". I figured that my hands were just starting to fall asleep from being held high for so long.

Some people spoke in tongues. It was gibberish, not another language of the people of the earth, as is mentioned in Acts.

I decided to remain a Lutheran.

Last edited:
The Bible clearly states that 'tongues' are other people's languages, not incoherent babble:

I went to a Pentecostal service with a friend in high school who's Uncle was the Pastor. After raising my hands to the heavens and praising the Lord for 30 minutes, the Pastor said to me: "Do you feel that tingling in your fingers? That's the Lord touching you". I figured that my hands were just starting to fall asleep from being held high for so long.

Some people spoke in tongues. It was gibberish, not another language of the people of the earth, as is mentioned in Acts.

I decided to remain a Lutheran.

I went to a Lutheran High School the religion teacher thought all other sects of Christianity were cults.

Speaking in tongues is not easily explainable; you would have to recieve said gift in order to understand it. It would seem to be fervent prayer while speaking in various/angelic languages. I understand the general counter-arguments, but this is a truly spiritual/Christian experience that I've been fortunate enough to witness.

Speaking in tongues is not easily explainable;
No, it's really not.

you would have to recieve said gift in order to understand it. It would seem to be fervent prayer while speaking in various/angelic languages. I understand the general counter-arguments, but this is a truly spiritual/Christian experience that I've been fortunate enough to witness.
I'm not here to try to be mean, but I've seen people speaking in tongues and every single one of them look like they're speaking gibberish if I'm just being honest. In the documentary "Marjoe" the admitted fraud of a preacher even tells you the tricks of the trade to get people to speak in tongues and to faint and how to act like your healing people etc. etc... It's a very hard thing for me to believe that people speaking in tongues are serious when I can see a dope smoking hippie look at the camera and go "watch this" and slap a guy on the forehead and he magically starts speaking in tongues.

No, it's really not.

I'm not here to try to be mean, but I've seen people speaking in tongues and every single one of them look like they're speaking gibberish if I'm just being honest. In the documentary "Marjoe" the admitted fraud of a preacher even tells you the tricks of the trade to get people to speak in tongues and to faint and how to act like your healing people etc. etc... It's a very hard thing for me to believe that people speaking in tongues are serious when I can see a dope smoking hippie look at the camera and go "watch this" and slap a guy on the forehead and he magically starts speaking in tongues.

Maybe if you tried it, explored it, you would understand better.

You know I'm skeptical and objective, yet I am convinced of this. Why?

I couldn't explain it, yet it simply... is. From a man who was hardcore athiest, I tell you speaking in tongues is true.

Speaking in tongues is not easily explainable; you would have to recieve said gift in order to understand it. It would seem to be fervent prayer while speaking in various/angelic languages. I understand the general counter-arguments, but this is a truly spiritual/Christian experience that I've been fortunate enough to witness.

Or it could be a neurological disorder not easily diagnosed 3000 years ago. If a good religious type was doing it, it was God speaking through them, but if someone they didn't like was doing it, they were a witch who must be burned!

:)

The LDS(Mormons) see the gift as the ability to quickly acquire a foreign language usually in regards to missionary work. For instance I read a story several years ago of a young missionary who had been called to serve in a Polynesian area, if I remember correctly it was Tonga. He had received a blessing that he would receive the gift to speak the language and after he attended the missionary training center for several weeks of intense language study he just wasn't grasping it. Something like the first Sunday he's in Tonga and is called to give a talk in front of the congregation he's like thinking he's going to mutter a few Tongan words like my Spanish, mi casa su casa, but when he began talking he knew he had been instantly given perfect fluency in Tongan, and had it throughout his mission and life.

The LDS(Mormons) see the gift as the ability to quickly acquire a foreign language usually in regards to missionary work. For instance I read a story several years ago of a young missionary who had been called to serve in a Polynesian area, if I remember correctly it was Tonga. He had received a blessing that he would receive the gift to speak the language and after he attended the missionary training center for several weeks of intense language study he just wasn't grasping it. Something like the first Sunday he's in Tonga and is called to give a talk in front of the congregation he's like thinking he's going to mutter a few Tongan words like my Spanish, mi casa su casa, but when he began talking he knew he had been instantly given perfect fluency in Tongan, and had it throughout his mission and life.

That is not speaking in Tongues.

Though, it is perplexing.

Back
Top Bottom