• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some thoughts on Easter

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Luke 24:36-49

36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

37 They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38 He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. 41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence.

44 He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46 He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things. 49 I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some say that Easter is a pagan celebration. Is the word of God not for pagans and other disbelievers? Did Jesus only seek out those that already believed so that he could validate their faith? Did Jesus not chastise those who were learned and taught the law of Moses, calling them self-serving and hypocrites?

Did Jesus die for our sins? Yes, but we have to understand what that means.

Jesus was given to us as fulfillment of God's plan on earth. He was given to us so that we could better understand and better OBEY the Word. Jesus was given to us so that he could fulfill the law of God, not to create a new law. The word of God was being taught as if it were sufficient that God spoke and man obeyed. Mere adherence to the Law was deemed to be enough to show that one honored and respected God. That, however, caused a problem. If the "faithful" only accepted the faithful and abandoned the sinner, the disbeliever, then they were effectively cutting off the Word from those people. There could be no hope, no salvation, for those so abandoned. Jesus, through preaching forgiveness, presented an opportunity for those that had been abandoned to also have a path to salvation. God spoke to man through Jesus. In His life Jesus taught the message of God. In his death and resurrection Jesus passes that purpose on to us. The beauty of the Resurrection is that it changes the dynamic from one where God speaks to us to one where God speaks through us.

In our times of struggle, our times of uncertainty, our times of anger and frustration we often seek God's comfort. We often ask why God has put these obstacles before us, why he has burdened us. We sometimes seek God's guidance or God's blessing for the things we are about to do. Sometimes we don't get the answer we want or even any answer at all. It is those times that we might remember the lesson of the Resurrection and understand that God has already spoken TO us and that now is the time to allow him to speak THROUGH us.

That's nice. How come so many people who claim Jesus speak 'through' them disagree with each other (and are such idiots when blathering?)

Bah Humbunny ^

36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

37 They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38 He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. 41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence.

44 He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46 He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things. 49 I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”

Some say that Easter is a pagan celebration. Is the word of God not for pagans and other disbelievers? Did Jesus only seek out those that already believed so that he could validate their faith? Did Jesus not chastise those who were learned and taught the law of Moses, calling them self-serving and hypocrites?

Jesus was given to us as fulfillment of God's plan on earth. He was given to us so that we could better understand and better OBEY the Word. Jesus was given to us so that he could fulfill the law of God, not to create a new law. The word of God was being taught as if it were sufficient that God spoke and man obeyed. Mere adherence to the Law was deemed to be enough to show that one honored and respected God. That, however, caused a problem. If the "faithful" only accepted the faithful and abandoned the sinner, the disbeliever, then they were effectively cutting off the Word from those people. There could be no hope, no salvation, for those so abandoned. Jesus, through preaching forgiveness, presented an opportunity for those that had been abandoned to also have a path to salvation. God spoke to man through Jesus. In His life Jesus taught the message of God. In his death and resurrection Jesus passes that purpose on to us. The beauty of the Resurrection is that it changes the dynamic from one where God speaks to us to one where God speaks through us.

In our times of struggle, our times of uncertainty, our times of anger and frustration we often seek God's comfort. We often ask why God has put these obstacles before us, why he has burdened us. We sometimes seek God's guidance or God's blessing for the things we are about to do. Sometimes we don't get the answer we want or even any answer at all. It is those times that we might remember the lesson of the Resurrection and understand that God has already spoken TO us and that now is the time to allow him to speak THROUGH us.

Have a joyous Easter, Lutherf. :)

That's nice. How come so many people who claim Jesus speak 'through' them disagree with each other (and are such idiots when blathering?)
The lessons of Christ and the Word of God aren't easy to adopt every day. We are all human and we all fail at times. That's why forgiveness is so important. It's easy to close one's windows and doors, to ignore the maddening crowd. It's easy to get snowed under by all the negativity we find around us. But when we remember that we are there for God every bit as much as God is there for us, those burdens become opportunities.

Some say that Easter is a pagan celebration. Is the word of God not for pagans and other disbelievers?
Yes, it is and Jesus approached them with the intent of leading them to the truth, certainly not to compromise it with pagan beliefs...

Also near Bautzen in Germany.
The singing now is in the Sorbian language.
The Sorbians are a small linguistic minority.

Because people are a mix of the sacred and profane. Jesus does speak through us but we have a tendency to mix in our own desires.

He is Risen!
A blessed Resurrection Sunday to you and yours!

There is a lovely verse in the book of the prophet Isaiah, 1:18-" Come now, let us reason together", says the Lord, "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow, though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool."

I have a special love for the old hymns. They are what I sang as a child and the lyrics at times would be Scripture, life lessons in themselves. Someone who knows and loves me, gave me a daily devotional of 366 hymns and the stories behind them. It is called Amazing Grace by Kenneth W. Osbeck. It is a beautiful devotional and if you know someone who has a special place in their heart for the old hymns, I recommend it.
One hymn in the devotional is called Jesus Paid it All. I sang that song often in church. The lyrics were written by a lay woman by the name of Elvina M. Hall, 1820-1889. She was a member of the choir. While sitting in the choir loft one Sunday morning in a church in Baltimore Maryland, she was not listening to the pastor after he started his sermon on how to know G-d's love and forgiveness but instead she began thinking about all that Christ has already done to provide for our salvation. She confessed to the pastor she didn't pay close attention to his sermon that day but gave to him what she had written down on the flyleaf page of the hymnal. Turned out the organist John Grape, had just composed a piece he titled "All to Christ I Owe". Turned out the words Elvina Hall wrote during the sermon fit perfectly with his composition. The song was published in 1874. The chorus to the song goes --Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe. Sin had left a crimson stain--He washed it white as snow.
Romans 3: 24-26 -- 24-and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25- God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood-to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished- 26- he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.
Ephesians 2-8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: You were saved by faith in God, who treats us much better than we deserve. This is God's gift to you, and not anything you have done on your own. For by such grace you have been saved through faith.

The whole Jesus zombie thing is bizarre when viewed rationally.

The whole Jesus zombie thing is bizarre when viewed rationally.
What's even more bizarre is mixing Christian beliefs with the pagan, knowing how God feels about it...then again, I guess some people don't care what God thinks about such matters...

What's even more bizarre is mixing Christian beliefs with the pagan, knowing how God feels about it...then again, I guess some people don't care what God thinks about such matters...
I don't think God has any plan to corrupt His word with pagan beliefs. There are myriad passages about that. However, I don't believe that he has any inclination that we avoid, ignore or otherwise ostracize non-believers. Those seem to be the ones God would like for us to engage with and pass His word along to.

I don't think God has any plan to corrupt His word with pagan beliefs. There are myriad passages about that. However, I don't believe that he has any inclination that we avoid, ignore or otherwise ostracize non-believers. Those seem to be the ones God would like for us to engage with and pass His word along to.
Who said anything about non-believers? they are free to do as they wish...

God has feelings?

He is Risen!
A blessed Resurrection Sunday to you and yours!

Come the Orthodox Easter, the Russians will greet each other with: "Christ has risen!" - " Indeed he has risen!"

Who said anything about non-believers? they are free to do as they wish...
So non-believers are OK to engage with but pagans are on the "no go" list? Why would that possibly be?

The OP is trying to get double-credit for church homework. If he really did it for the congregation, he wouldn't be trying to use it here. It's a cover.

So non-believers are OK to engage with but pagans are on the "no go" list? Why would that possibly be?
Um, because they have no desire to please God nor do they care what God thinks about matters...

Back
Top Bottom