• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Some thoughts on Easter

So non-believers are OK to engage with but pagans are on the "no go" list? Why would that possibly be?
On 2nd thought, I think we're talking about 2 separate things here...of course we engage with any non-believer, including pagans...my posts about compromising Christians beliefs with pagan beliefs is in regards to Christians alone...they're notorious for doing so and the Bible condemns it...examples...Easter and Christmas celebrations...

So non-believers are OK to engage with but pagans are on the "no go" list? Why would that possibly be?

If a belief in the Christian motif helps some people, be my guest by all means. I wish you/them well. However, I would prefer it if you left the rest of us alone. We have our own kinds of spirituality that most of us don't bother you with.

Last edited:
the Bible condemns it...examples...Easter and Christmas celebrations...

The Bible condems the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus and Father Christmas and the Christ Child (Christkindl)?
What a pity! :(

Um, because they have no desire to please God nor do they care what God thinks about matters...
Well, far be it from me to suggest who is and isn't worth your witness. Personally, I'd be just as happy to turn a pagan as I would an atheist.

If a belief in the Christian motif helps some people, be my guest by all means. I wish you/them well. However, I would prefer it if you left the rest of us alone. We have our own kinds of spirituality that most of us don't bother you with.
You want to be left alone yet, for some reason, you chose to read this thread?

Weak. One has zero to do with the other.
You were looking for something when you clicked on this thread. If you clicked on it because you wanted to be left alone I don't see how that actually helped achieve your goal.

You were looking for something when you clicked on this thread. If you clicked on it because you wanted to be left alone I don't see how that actually helped achieve your goal.

This is just a thread on the board. No different than any other thread. You look, post if you want, then move on. That has zero to do with being bothered by someone going around selling their religion. OBVIOUSLY.

This is just a thread on the board. No different than any other thread. You look, post if you want, then move on. That has zero to do with being bothered by someone going around selling their religion. OBVIOUSLY.
Those that sell Christianity are hypocrites. There is nothing being sold here. It's free for those that wish to contemplate it or question it to do so.

Come the Orthodox Easter, the Russians will greet each other with: "Christ has risen!" - " Indeed he has risen!"
That's the way it was done in my grandparents' home along with a holy kiss.

Those that sell Christianity are hypocrites. There is nothing being sold here. It's free for those that wish to contemplate it or question it to do so.

Ah huh: "Personally, I'd be just as happy to turn a pagan as I would an atheist."

I don't think God has any plan to corrupt His word with pagan beliefs. There are myriad passages about that. However, I don't believe that he has any inclination that we avoid, ignore or otherwise ostracize non-believers. Those seem to be the ones God would like for us to engage with and pass His word along to.
I believe it was always part of G-d's plan to present the Gospel to the "pagans". And who did he task with such a thing? Paul, the one who first showed hostile prejudices against his Jewish brothers and sisters who recognized Yeshua/Jesus as the Messiah they had been waiting for. The miracle that G-d performed in his heart was a testament for all to see when he did a 360 and became the Apostle to the pagans in Christian love and forbearance in spite of all their weaknesses and errors, as brothers and sisters in Christ.

I believe it was always part of G-d's plan to present the Gospel to the "pagans". And who did he task with such a thing? Paul, the one who first showed hostile prejudices against his Jewish brothers and sisters who recognized Yeshua/Jesus as the Messiah they had been waiting for. The miracle that G-d performed in his heart was a testament for all to see when he did a 360 and became the Apostle to the pagans in Christian love and forbearance in spite of all their weaknesses and errors, as brothers and sisters in Christ.
There is a distinct difference in preaching the Gospel to the pagans and mixing your own beliefs with theirs...something God does detest and He has warned His people against since the beginning of time...

“You cannot be partaking of ‘the table of Jehovah’ and the table of demons.”—1 Cor. 10:21

“‘Separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’; ‘and I will take you in.’”—2 Cor. 6:17

"But they mingled with the nations
And adopted their ways.
They kept serving their idols,
And these became a snare to them." Psalm 106:35, 36

Do you have a question or a concern about that statement?

"Those that sell Christianity are hypocrites."

How do you "turn" a pagan without selling Christianity, or your idea of Christianity.

There is a distinct difference in preaching the Gospel to the pagans and mixing your own beliefs with theirs...something God does detest and He has warned His people against since the beginning of time...

“You cannot be partaking of ‘the table of Jehovah’ and the table of demons.”—1 Cor. 10:21

“‘Separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’; ‘and I will take you in.’”—2 Cor. 6:17

"But they mingled with the nations
And adopted their ways.
They kept serving their idols,
And these became a snare to them." Psalm 106:35, 36
I don't think either Vesper or I are saying to adopt pagan beliefs. I believe that, like you, we're talking about spreading the Word to anyone willing to listen and that would include pagans, satanists, tree worshippers and anyone else that either doesn't believe in the Word or has beliefs in conflict with the Word.

I don't think either Vesper or I are saying to adopt pagan beliefs. I believe that, like you, we're talking about spreading the Word to anyone willing to listen and that would include pagans, satanists, tree worshippers and anyone else that either doesn't believe in the Word or has beliefs in conflict with the Word.
And you think Easter rituals are not pagan in origin?

If you tell your children about the Easter Bunny - do you then sit at the table of demons?

If you tell your children about the Easter Bunny - do you then sit at the table of demons?
A pagan practice is indeed sitting at the table of demons...the Bible makes that clear...

Some are - some are not.
And I do not mind pagan origins.
The whole humanity is of pagan origin, isn't it?

Most of our ancestors were fine and good pagans once.

"Those that sell Christianity are hypocrites."

How do you "turn" a pagan without selling Christianity, or your idea of Christianity.
Christianity isn't a commodity to be sold. It's a gift to be given and passed among people. Those that treat Christianity like some kind of exclusive club, something to be held close to the chest and protected from those that question or deride the faith may want to reevaluate their thinking. The pagan can choose to accept the gift or choose to abandon it. Whatever the choice, the gift is still there and isn't the lest bit diminished merely because it isn't accepted.

Some are - some are not.
And I do not mind pagan origins.
The whole humanity is of pagan origin, isn't it?

Most of our ancestors were fine and good pagans once.
Maybe you don't but God does and that's who I care about pleasing...

I am MUCH less interested in the ritual and MUCH more interested in the message. While the message of Easter or Christmas may have been commercialized that commercialization doesn't change the message. Over the years there have been many attempts to make the Word more accessible and more attractive to more people. Occasionally the message gets a little buried under the ceremony but that only affords us an opportunity to do some more explaining and to answer a few more questions.

I am MUCH less interested in the ritual and MUCH more interested in the message. While the message of Easter or Christmas may have been commercialized that commercialization doesn't change the message. Over the years there have been many attempts to make the Word more accessible and more attractive to more people. Occasionally the message gets a little buried under the ceremony but that only affords us an opportunity to do some more explaining and to answer a few more questions.
So, ignore what God's Word says...that's on you...

So, ignore what God's Word says...that's on you...
Mark 2:15-17

15 While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

I do what I can to seek understanding. You seem to believe that engaging with sinners is, in itself, sinful. Am I incorrect in that understanding?

Back
Top Bottom