• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SO you think mail-in voting is just peachy in the great state of Texas

soap box

A Lincoln democrat
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

34%

Real ballots in Harris County

Real Voters - some who have been living in the same house for decades, and some of them voting in every election, motivated enough to vote in primaries

Rejected.

What was all that a few weeks ago where our esteemed collegues were trying to tell me , " no problem , not to worry, not an issue, no big deal, you're overreacting....." ?

I'm not talking about mail-in ballot applications. There is currently a 34% rejection rate of what would otherwise be perfectly valid voters and ballots.

The ID number mixup has confused people to the point that time has run out for many. The primary is on March 1. If a person has recieved their rejected ballot in the last week, there is not enough time to be sure that the ballot will be counted.

This is what I was saying about the Texas state legislature creating 'hoops and hurdles' without actually excluding voters.

There are many people who don't always read the newspaper or watch the news. This story is not often covered in tv news anyway. There will be millions more people trying to vote in October and November this year in Texas. Many of them are unaware that the problem is happening. Many of them will make the same mistake that is occuring now. That means the anti-voting bill passed by the state legislature last summer will achieve its goal. It kicks enough sand in voter's eyes to mislead and confuse them. Some will not try again out of frustration. Some will want to resend their vote but they won't have time if the rejected ballot doesn't arrive on time , like what we are seeing now 34% !! Even if they are not as informed as our distigushed DP members , they still have a right to vote. Is that fair?

Among senior citizens or disabled folks, those who have been rejected will be suddenly faced with having to physically appear at the precinct voting centers. This is not a fair hardship to impose on them. I am not complaining about my situation because I just drive myself to the polls in my county and I won't even notice the difference. I am standing up for the rights of both republican and democratic senior and disabled voters who depend on mail-in voting.

34%

Real Voters - some who have been living in the same house for decades, and some of them voting in every election, motivated enough to vote in primaries

Rejected.

What was all that a few weeks ago where our esteemed collegues were trying to tell me , " no problem , not to worry, not an issue, no big deal, you're overreacting....." ?

I'm not talking about mail-in ballot applications. There is currently a 34% rejection rate of what would otherwise be perfectly valid voters and ballots.

The ID number mixup has confused people to the point that time has run out for many. The primary is on March 1. If a person has recieved their rejected ballot in the last week, there is not enough time to be sure that the ballot will be counted.

This is what I was saying about the Texas state legislature creating 'hoops and hurdles' without actually excluding voters.

There are many people who don't always read the newspaper or watch the news. This story is not often covered in tv news anyway. There will be millions more people trying to vote in October and November this year in Texas. Many of them are unaware that the problem is happening. Many of them will make the same mistake that is occuring now. That means the anti-voting bill passed by the state legislature last summer will achieve its goal. It kicks enough sand in voter's eyes to mislead and confuse them. Some will not try again out of frustration. Some will want to resend their vote but they won't have time if the rejected ballot doesn't arrive on time , like what we are seeing now 34% !! Even if they are not as informed as our distigushed DP members , they still have a right to vote. Is that fair?

Among senior citizens or disabled folks, those who have been rejected will be suddenly faced with having to physically appear at the precinct voting centers. This is not a fair hardship to impose on them. I am not complaining about my situation because I just drive myself to the polls in my county and I won't even notice the difference. I am standing up for the rights of both republican and democratic senior and disabled voters who depend on mail-in voting.

If Texas citizens don't care about making sure they follow the law and the rules, then they probably don't care about making sure their votes are counted.

What's that saying? Ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse?

If Texas citizens don't care about making sure they follow the law and the rules, then they probably don't care about making sure their votes are counted.

You realize that the new TX voter law requires voters to submit often decades old proof to request a mail ballot ?

A 80-year old voter probably registered 60 years ago in TX, with a social security or other ID number that this person might not have anymore after all these years … and TX requires exactly this old ID number and nothing else.

So, TX strongly discriminates against old people (veterans for example), and not just against minorities.

I think you're raising the question of whether or not they deserve to vote.

I don't think it's a question of whether or not they care, it's a question of whether or not they remember what ID number they gave the county 30 years ago.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure what number I gave them when I renewed just 2 years ago. But again, I'm not talking about myself. I'm not eligible to vote by mail.

Hoops and hurdles my friend, hoops and hurdles.

And if the current actual rate
was about 10% I wouldn't have posted anything.

Statewide the rates in counties ranges between 20 to 40% , and the claim is being made that it's the voter's fault ,and even though they are interested enough to vote in a primary, that means that they don't care enough?

You realize that the new TX voter law requires voters to submit often decades old proof to request a mail ballot ?

A 80-year old voter probably registered 60 years ago in TX, with a social security or other ID number that this person might not have anymore after all these years … and TX requires exactly this old ID number and nothing else.

So, TX strongly discriminates against old people (veterans for example), and not just against minorities.
Don't let mycroft fool you. He votes by mail.

Compliance issues with new laws are nothing new.

Since the law focuses on ensuring the security of mail ballots, this jump in rejections is not only expected, it's a good thing. Slop which was previously tolerated is no longer allowed. That's a good thing.

Then there are clowns who claim anything is for the worse, such as.

More appropriate phase for the fascist Republican Traitor Party when it comes to voting in general -- "It don't need fixin', but we want it broke".
Fascist? Really? That would normally indicate that you are in a losing position.

Are you sure you want to resign that way?

Oh, well. Your loss.

liiiike?
Using a social security number? to identify people? Oh, harumph!
now now, if you want old people's votes, you'll have to wait until after they've died, like every democrat campaign.

Compliance issues with new laws are nothing new.

Since the law focuses on ensuring the security of mail ballots, this jump in rejections is not only expected, it's a good thing. Slop which was previously tolerated is no longer allowed. That's a good thing.

I see , so voters with same address for decades are suddenly unrecognizable? Let's pretend no one ever voted before, and start over from scratch even though most senior citizens have voted for djt, a republican governor, and a republican legislature consistently since the 80's. Where's the slop?

I said in the op, I'm posting for the sake of both republican and democratic seniors and the disabled .

And as I posted upthread, I wouldn't claim much if the percentage of rejection was 10%. 34% in Harris county indicates that this is not the fault of the average primary voter.

liiiike?

Using a social security number? to identify people? Oh, harumph!

now now, if you want old people's votes, you'll have to wait until after they've died, like every democrat campaign.

I don't have any reason to think you heard the broadcast in the op, or that you are aware of any of the extenuating facts involved in the question.

I see , so voters with same address for decades are suddenly unrecognizable? Let's pretend no one ever voted before, and start over from scratch even though most senior citizens have voted for djt, a republican governor, and a republican legislature consistently since the 80's. Where's the slop?

I said in the op, I'm posting for the sake of both republican and democratic seniors and the disabled .

And as I posted upthread, I wouldn't claim much if the percentage of rejection was 10%. 34% in Harris county indicates that this is not the fault of the average primary voter.

The rejection rate is so bad that this may actually backfire on Republicans a lot more than they expected. It could affect their voter turnout as well.

All you need is your I.D.

Voting isn't a leisure activity.

That's true if voting in-person. I didn't post anything about in-person voting but you are correct about in-person voting.

I didn't say it was a sacrifice for folks like me. I am speaking out for disabled people and elderly folks who may not be able to drive, or walk, or have other debilitating health conditions.

34%

Rejected.

People made mistakes in Massachusetts and had ballots rejected.

https://www.nbcboston.com/investiga...ed-in-massachusetts-primary-election/2203693/

People made mistakes in California too..........100,000 ballots rejected.

I've had my driver's license for more than 30 years. (That's how long I've lived in my state.) It hasn't changed.

I've had my social security number since I was 15 years old. Social security numbers never change.

If the voter thinks there might be an issue, then it's their responsibility to deal with the issue...if they actually want to vote. If they don't deal with the issue...too ****ing bad.

I think you're raising the question of whether or not they deserve to vote.
No.

Everyone, in accordance with the law, deserves to vote.
I don't think it's a question of whether or not they care, it's a question of whether or not they remember what ID number they gave the county 30 years ago.
It IS about whether or not they care. If they don't know what ID number they used when they registered, then it's their responsibility to find out before they vote.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure what number I gave them when I renewed just 2 years ago. But again, I'm not talking about myself. I'm not eligible to vote by mail.
You are going to have to produce some kind of ID when you walk into the polling place, right? You should probably make sure you have the right one before you do.

Hoops and hurdles my friend, hoops and hurdles.
There are "hoops and hurdles" to be dealt with throughout life. If you want to drive a car, you'll have a LOT of hoops and hurdles to deal with. That doesn't stop millions of Texans from driving. They just deal with it.

And if the current actual rate
was about 10% I wouldn't have posted anything.

Statewide the rates in counties ranges between 20 to 40% , and the claim is being made that it's the voter's fault ,and even though they are interested enough to vote in a primary, that means that they don't care enough?
What can I say? You either have a lot of stupid people in Texas or a lot of lazy people in Texas.

I've had my driver's license for more than 30 years. (That's how long I've lived in my state.) It hasn't changed.

I've had my social security number since I was 15 years old. Social security numbers never change.

If the voter thinks there might be an issue, then it's their responsibility to deal with the issue...if they actually want to vote. If they don't deal with the issue...too ****ing bad.

Are YOU required to provide these numbers on YOUR mail in ballot in Colorado?

No.

Everyone, in accordance with the law, deserves to vote.

It IS about whether or not they care. If they don't know what ID number they used when they registered, then it's their responsibility to find out before they vote.

You are going to have to produce some kind of ID when you walk into the polling place, right? You should probably make sure you have the right one before you do.

There are "hoops and hurdles" to be dealt with throughout life. If you want to drive a car, you'll have a LOT of hoops and hurdles to deal with. That doesn't stop millions of Texans from driving. They just deal with it.

What can I say? You either have a lot of stupid people in Texas or a lot of lazy people in Texas.

Driving is not a right... voting is...

Are YOU required to provide these numbers on YOUR mail in ballot in Colorado?
I don't remember. I don't think so. I think all I had to do was sign my ballot.

shrug...

Maybe Texas should talk to Colorado about how to implement a good all mail in ballot system.

Anyway, your question is irrelevant. You are dismissed.

I don't remember. I don't think so. I think all I had to do was sign my ballot.

shrug...

Maybe Texas should talk to Colorado about how to implement a good all mail in ballot system.

Anyway, your question is irrelevant. You are dismissed.

LMAO... I absolutely agree.. Texas should adopt Colorado's mail in ballot system...

See, the thing is - ID numbers and social security numbers don’t change.

My PA driver license number remained exactly the same the entire time I lived in PA.

My NJ driver license number has been exactly the same the entire time I’ve lived in NJ.

This includes when I got married and changed my name, when I’ve moved, etc.

Social security number remains the same your entire life - no matter where you live or if you change your name.

If they put down one incorrectly - they could fix the mistake.

Also, luckily, all this is getting worked out ahead of the primaries..and it would seem county clerks are getting word out to residents how to fix any errors.

Why do people want voters casting mail in votes when their identity cannot be confirmed?

Quite the contrary. Jan 6 proved that the Republican Traitor Party are fascists, when 147 Republican traitors in Congress voted to overturn Biden's victory.
There is a different forum for conspiracy theories.

Your first two words are mistaken.

Sloppy practices that have been glossed over for years are now flagged. There are new rules and more careful checking. Voters must comply with the rules and it is to be expected that more care will yield more precision.

That statement is Trumpian.

I think it is exactly the fault of the average voter. You must read the rules and comply.

In person, yes. Not by mail.

In the sense that you may take your time and get it done after long consideration, it is.

One of the red flags in 2020 was the large number of ballots that only voted for President. Mail ballots tend to be thoroughly filled out.

Driving is not a right... voting is...
A driver's license is not required, merely accepted. Suitable ID is a right and is provided free.

It's worth noting that a substantial majority of people believe that requiring a photo ID is appropriate. This is true among Blacks despite the arguments of Black political leaders against it.

I guess you do realize you said "too ****ing bad" to many elderly republican voters. This affects everyone. Why are conservatives so mean when it comes to people with disabilities. Shouldn't we be making it easier, not harder for people to vote?

Back
Top Bottom