• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SO you think mail-in voting is just peachy in the great state of Texas

Face it computerized voting machines can be hacked and/or designed to vote how a manufacturer decides.

AND if a manufacturer is a financial supporter of ALEC the machine can be designed to appear as though it is voting correctly ......yet still vote for a fascist candidate.

Face it computerized voting machines can be hacked and/or designed to vote how a manufacturer decides.

AND if a manufacturer is a financial supporter of ALEC the machine can be designed to appear as though it is voting correctly ......yet still vote for a fascist candidate.
Never happened

If you want to drive a car, you'll have a LOT of hoops and hurdles to deal with. That doesn't stop millions of Texans from driving. They just deal with it.

As our fabulous dp Gun Nuts often remind us though: voting is a RIGHT, driving isnt. :whistle:(y)

So explain why those 147 Republican traitors voted to overturn Biden's victory.
Why? Most of the people repeating the lie don't believe it.

Yet Texas does not require a voter ID for voting by mail...
The point was broader.

So you expect voter fraud?
It is the nature of humans to try to game the system. There is pushing the rules, there is grey area, and there is manufacturing ballots. All of these occur at various times and places.

Lyndon Johnson, famously known as landslide Johnson for the narrowness of the win, won his first Senate seat with fraudulent ballots.

No, it's a fundamental and inalienable right
Not inalienable. There are ways to lose the right.

Why? Most of the people repeating the lie don't believe it.

The point was broader.

It is the nature of humans to try to game the system. There is pushing the rules, there is grey area, and there is manufacturing ballots. All of these occur at various times and places.

Lyndon Johnson, famously known as landslide Johnson for the narrowness of the win, won his first Senate seat with fraudulent ballots.

Not inalienable. There are ways to lose the right.
Pretty much the case with all rights

Moreover, the seller of the machines, the Diebold Corporation, was a supplier of money to one of the major party candidates, George W. Bush. The CEO and top officers of Diebold were major contributors to the Bush campaign. A corporation with vested political interests should not have control over the votes of the populace.

Voters using Diebold machines should immediately report any suspected malfunctions or deficiencies at voting precincts to their Board of Elections.

No, it's a fundamental and inalienable right

Correct....for legitimate citizens of the United States or a state (for state elections).

Also....voting once is encouraged.

Voting more than once is highly frowned upon.

Protecting our elections and voters interests in a high priority.

Correct....for legitimate citizens of the United States or a state (for state elections).

Also....voting once is encouraged.

Voting more than once is highly frowned upon.

Protecting our elections and voters interests in a high priority.
Only citizens are allowed to vote

And no one is voting multiple times

Thanks for a fact free post

What can I say? You either have a lot of stupid people in Texas or a lot of lazy people in Texas.

Would that mean that a majority of the voters in Texas , who have elected a republican state legislature, a republican govenor and AG, and voted for the republican presidential candidate consistently and constantly since 1986 are either stupid or lazy?
If the voter thinks there might be an issue, then it's their responsibility to deal with the issue...if they actually want to vote. If they don't deal with the issue...too ****ing bad.
Do you always feel this way about the rights of the elderly and disabled? I think it's more likely that they, in perhaps a naive way, trusted that the legislature that most of them voted for would count their valid vote this time like in decades past.
Maybe Texas should talk to Colorado about how to implement a good all mail in ballot system.
That should be my thesis sentence. I would have saved lots of bytes on DP if I hadn't written so much in the OP because that is exactly what I could have said in such a concise and pointed summary of my message here.

I could not care less about the 2020 election.

I fully support ID to vote - in person or via mail. Always have, always will.

I truly don’t understand why anyone would oppose it. It is a safe guard to assuring every single American that the vote is being cast by the person that claims to be casting it.
No one is opposing it. Just all the unnecessary restrictions being applied only by republican states. And it's not only voter ID and you know it. There are a whole list of new restrictive voting laws targeting minorities.

It's a long-understood fact that republicans can't win on their numbers alone. Dems outnumber them.

I said in the op, I'm posting for the sake of both republican and democratic seniors and the disabled .
@Jay59 You wrote "That statement is Trumpian."

??? whatever

If Texas citizens don't care about making sure they follow the law and the rules, then they probably don't care about making sure their votes are counted.

What's that saying? Ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse?

Its not ignorance of the law that a 65 year old man or woman in TX that originally registered to vote with a drivers license number that is no longer valid due to a change in the DL system years ago and doesnt know the old number.

Hell, in some instances, even the state doesnt know the old number or information that would be required to ask for a ballot today.

Care to bring up another pointless point, are are we gonna call it quits with this one?

SO..,.

34% of Texas mail-in ballots were rejected.

We know who tends to vote by mail and we don't want them voting anyway.
So why is creating a law that leads to confusion and the rejection of the ballots we don't want counted anyway considered a bad thing?

WW

Texas screwed up both the absentee ballot APPLICATION and the actual absentee BALLOT process...

Defective ballots must be sent back to voters if they arrive early enough to be sent back and corrected. If officials determine there’s not enough time, they must notify the voter by phone or email. Voters must then visit the elections office in person to correct the issue, or use the state’s new online ballot tracker to verify the missing information.

Those determinations are made by panels of election workers responsible for qualifying mail-in ballots. The Texas secretary of state’s office, which oversees elections, has advised counties to convene those panels as early as possible to give voters the maximum amount of time to make a correction.

And they did it on purpose. They knew damn well what would happen.

I see , so voters with same address for decades are suddenly unrecognizable? Let's pretend no one ever voted before, and start over from scratch even though most senior citizens have voted for djt, a republican governor, and a republican legislature consistently since the 80's. Where's the slop?
@Jay59 "Your first two words are mistaken.

Sloppy practices that have been glossed over for years are now flagged. There are new rules and more careful checking. Voters must comply with the rules and it is to be expected that more care will yield more precision."

Let's talk about voter and election fraud. A majority of voters in Texas have elected a republican legislature, a republican govenor and AG, and voted for the republican presidential candidate consistently since 1986. The last democratic presidential candidate that Texas voters chose was Jimmy Carter. The last democratic govenor was Ann Richards. I asked you where's the slop. Did you know that several recounts of precints in Dallas and Houston uncovered nothing? the 2020 election in Texas continued the trend. What exactly was imprecise?

If the rationale for the new law was to rectify "sloppy practices" , you will have to explain and cite just exactly what they were and when they occured.

You also didn't address the fact that people who have been registered to vote for years , at the same address, are suddenly unrecognizable.

There is a different forum for conspiracy theories.

Yes....and if you dont think Jan. 6th was an insurrection, you should take that shit there.

Your first two words are mistaken.

Sloppy practices that have been glossed over for years are now flagged. There are new rules and more careful checking. Voters must comply with the rules and it is to be expected that more care will yield more precision.

Sloppy practices, you say? You mean like the ones where the state wasnt required to keep in the database all previous information that was used or allowed to be used for purposes such as this.

You think it was a coincidence that most of these rules went back to some archaic form of ID? They were hoping to thin numbers, not provide any more security, and anyone being honest knows it.
That statement is Trumpian.

I think it is exactly the fault of the average voter. You must read the rules and comply.

And what about those who CANT comply for the reasons Ive already pointed out. Why should a citizen have to keep better records than the state for purposes of identification.
One of the red flags in 2020 was the large number of ballots that only voted for President. Mail ballots tend to be thoroughly filled out.

What proof of that do you have, exactly?

A driver's license is not required, merely accepted. Suitable ID is a right and is provided free.

NOW......but in order to legally request a mail ballot, you might have to remember information that might be 50 years old and hasnt been used in 30.

This is nothing more than a voting example of the guy who got locked out of his bitcoin account because like an idiot, he used his work email for verification, and after changing jobs, couldnt get the password change email. Only, in this instance, its not because the voter made a dumb choice, they just happen to be old enough NOT to recall every stupid detail from 50 years of life lived.
It's worth noting that a substantial majority of people believe that requiring a photo ID is appropriate. This is true among Blacks despite the arguments of Black political leaders against it.

And that ID should be provided free of charge to anyone, lest it is a de facto poll tax.

@Jay59 "Your first two words are mistaken.

Sloppy practices that have been glossed over for years are now flagged. There are new rules and more careful checking. Voters must comply with the rules and it is to be expected that more care will yield more precision."

Let's talk about voter and election fraud. A majority of voters in Texas have elected a republican legislature, a republican govenor and AG, and voted for the republican presidential candidate consistently since 1986. The last democratic presidential candidate that Texas voters chose was Jimmy Carter. The last democratic govenor was Ann Richards. I asked you where's the slop. Did you know that several recounts of precints in Dallas and Houston uncovered nothing? the 2020 election in Texas continued the trend. What exactly was imprecise?

If the rationale for the new law was to rectify "sloppy practices" , you will have to explain and cite just exactly what they were and when they occured.

You also didn't address the fact that people who have been registered to vote for years , at the same address, are suddenly unrecognizable.
This 1000x.

And as I posted upthread, I wouldn't claim much if the percentage of rejection was 10%. 34% in Harris county indicates that this is not the fault of the average primary voter.
You wrote : "I think it is exactly the fault of the average voter. You must read the rules and comply."

@Jay59
So people who figured that they could trust the legislature that they elected last time would count their vote this time, are to blame for this? More than a third of the people who sent mail-in ballots?

If you read post #44 from our distinguished member @BlueTex , he explains the problem in the rules in a factual and rational way.

Just a few bugs in the process to work out. Kinks, if you will. I’m sure we will be ready for 2022.
Gee, I hope so too. I am predicting that the Election Commission and the Legislature will not be willing to get the word out sufficiently.

See, the thing is - ID numbers and social security numbers don’t change.

My PA driver license number remained exactly the same the entire time I lived in PA.

My NJ driver license number has been exactly the same the entire time I’ve lived in NJ.

This includes when I got married and changed my name, when I’ve moved, etc.

Social security number remains the same your entire life - no matter where you live or if you change your name.

If they put down one incorrectly - they could fix the mistake.

Also, luckily, all this is getting worked out ahead of the primaries..and it would seem county clerks are getting word out to residents how to fix any errors.

Why do people want voters casting mail in votes when their identity cannot be confirmed?

I understand most of your points, however, to the bolded sentences - If they have a name that matches an address, and that information has been on the voter rolls in previous elections, and if there is only vote counted from that name and address, what further confirmation is needed? As noted on this thread previously, Texas doesn't require an ID for mail-in voting. Should we be concerned that a large number of mail-in ballots must be suspicious? I think the comment that Texas should learn from Colorado's system is quite important and true. ( another distinguished collegue posted that)

I agree, if we're lucky, but the other problem you may not be aware of is that the new law also prohibits election officials from giving advice or answering questions for average voters. I am a first hand /eyewitness to this. At my county seat, I was asking if my daughter can vote by mail from her college town. The only response I could get from 2 different state employees was that the information is on the state website. We are going through a period at the present time where election officials are still trying to get a clarification on what questions they can and cannot answer. More confusion and fewer elderly and disabled voter are going to be counted.

It's also worth considering that many voters are not as informed. It's not a story that has gotten into the tv news, and some folks don't read newspapers often. Do they still have a right to vote, even if they didn't get the message? For voters who recieved their returned rejected ballot last week, there is not time to be sure it will be counted when they send it back again before March 1.

I'm still concerned that most people here don't realize the new complication, and that, for many, this mistake will be repeated in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom