• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SO you think mail-in voting is just peachy in the great state of Texas

Fake news. Dims trying to invent a crisis when one doesn't exist.

Election year tactics. Start screaming foul now!

Gee, I hope so too. I am predicting that the Election Commission and the Legislature will not be willing to get the word out sufficiently.

It was sort of a joke since it is already 2022.

See, the thing is - ID numbers and social security numbers don’t change.

My PA driver license number remained exactly the same the entire time I lived in PA.

My NJ driver license number has been exactly the same the entire time I’ve lived in NJ.

This includes when I got married and changed my name, when I’ve moved, etc.

Social security number remains the same your entire life - no matter where you live or if you change your name.

If they put down one incorrectly - they could fix the mistake.

All of the above may be correct.....but those werent always what were being used to verification. THAT is the problem. Nobody asks me for my social when I go to vote, and more importantly, even if they did, it doesn't have my picture on it, so it STILL wouldn't count as a photo ID.

The simple solution to this issue is to have the feds develop a form of ID that each state would then be required to provide to any citizen who wants it free of charge. That way, its the same in every state, has all the same criteria and doesn't require a voting citizen to come out of pocket to exercise that right.

Also, luckily, all this is getting worked out ahead of the primaries..and it would seem county clerks are getting word out to residents how to fix any errors.

Why do people want voters casting mail in votes when their identity cannot be confirmed?

The real issue is that things that for decades now have been considered secure enough to work ALL OF A SUDDEN aren't secure enough anymore because one party isn't dominating in certain states the way they used to.....or do you think we didn't notice when and where all this shit started?

And its hardly being "worked out" before the primaries. There are plenty of people who are being affected by this that would WANT to participate in the primaries as well who are now not going to be able to because the TX government didn't work out the bugs before implementing this stupid change.

Would that mean that a majority of the voters in Texas , who have elected a republican state legislature, a republican govenor and AG, and voted for the republican presidential candidate consistently and constantly since 1986 are either stupid or lazy?
No. If they voted, they are not stupid or lazy. We are talking about the people who can't figure out how to comply with the laws about voting.

Do you always feel this way about the rights of the elderly and disabled? I think it's more likely that they, in perhaps a naive way, trusted that the legislature that most of them voted for would count their valid vote this time like in decades past.
The elderly and disabled have no right to get a pass on the requirements of the law.

If they are naive enough to think that laws don't apply to them, then they are stupid or lazy.

That should be my thesis sentence. I would have saved lots of bytes on DP if I hadn't written so much in the OP because that is exactly what I could have said in such a concise and pointed summary of my message here.
Sounds like a personal problem.

So it goes...

Its not ignorance of the law that a 65 year old man or woman in TX that originally registered to vote with a drivers license number that is no longer valid due to a change in the DL system years ago and doesnt know the old number.

Hell, in some instances, even the state doesnt know the old number or information that would be required to ask for a ballot today.

Care to bring up another pointless point, are are we gonna call it quits with this one?
If that's the case...and I seriously doubt that's the case for a quarter of all the voters...then those voters need to be proactive in making sure they can vote...not be stupid or lazy and think the laws don't apply to them.

...and? the point is?

The point is that there are lot of people is thread who have NO idea what Texas voting requirements are but they are happy to defend this bullshit..

If that's the case...and I seriously doubt that's the case for a quarter of all the voters...then those voters need to be proactive in making sure they can vote...not be stupid or lazy and think the laws don't apply to them.

Or they can sue the shit out of the state for impeding their right to vote which is EXACTLY what is happening...

only thing stupid and lazy are your arguments on the subject. Why do you support an anti American agenda?

No. If they voted, they are not stupid or lazy. We are talking about the people who can't figure out how to comply with the laws about voting.

The elderly and disabled have no right to get a pass on the requirements of the law.

If they are naive enough to think that laws don't apply to them, then they are stupid or lazy.

So it goes...

I don't understand your claim that they don't think the law applies to them. Either democrat or republican, I think they tried to vote in good faith. They didn't realize the new law would reject them. That doesn't mean that they believed they were somehow above the law.

I don't think they should get a pass, but rather a fair chance. If the rejected ballot came back to them this last week there probably won't be enough time to resubmit. Please consider that these new rules and the complications are an additional burden on those voters who are the least capable of overcoming this.

Why? Most of the people repeating the lie don't believe it
What "lie", lightweight?

Those 147 Republicans didn't vote to overturn the election? Then what the hell were they voting for?

I can't imagine anything "peachy" in The Great State of Texas.

Hey watch it buddy! I've seen Big Bend and I know why native Americans thought it was holy ground. The beach at Padre Island is beautiful. I've eaten oysters and shrimp from the Gulf, and I've won first prize for my pecan pie at the county fair pie contest with pecans from my own tree- twice, much to the chagrin of a bunch of old ladies. Besides, I'm here and I'm just peachy.
FB_IMG_1504494650249~2.jpg

Oh, did you mean the politics? Yes we agree completely 😋

Hey watch it buddy! I've seen Big Bend and I know why native Americans thought it was holy ground. The beach at Padre Island is beautiful. I've eaten oysters and shrimp from the Gulf, and I've won first prize for my pecan pie at the county fair pie contest with pecans from my own tree- twice, much to the chagrin of a bunch of old ladies. Besides, I'm here and I'm just peachy.
View attachment 67375736

Mmmmm pecan pie....

My favorite.

Indeed, Padre Island is a beautiful sight to see. So is the hill country. East Texas Piney Woods....

I have caught many o' fish from the Laguna Madre, Port Isabel, Rockport and Port A.

I have swooned many a senioritas along the banks of the Rio Grand, (at Pepe's on the River down around McAllen..)

I do miss Texas. But I'm not so sure it's safe for this ol' Texas boy to be hanging out there these days. It's kinda gone bonkers.

WAIT! HOLD THE PRESSES!

I just thought of something really, really, cool that is all about Texas.

Whiskey Myers. They are from Texas. One of my favorite bands of all time. Then there's Stevie Ray Vaughan and ZZ Top.

Yeah, Texas music is cool. Love me some Whiskey Myers.

Why? Because you can't defend this?
Because it was a reference to 50 states and not just one.

View attachment 67375736

Any pecan pie tips you are willing to share?

What "lie", lightweight?

Those 147 Republicans didn't vote to overturn the election? Then what the hell were they voting for?
That's two questions. The lie is that there was any form of treason. The vote was to certify the election.

This is 6th-grade civics stuff. Why do you find it difficult?

Last edited:
I don't understand your claim that they don't think the law applies to them. Either democrat or republican, I think they tried to vote in good faith. They didn't realize the new law would reject them. That doesn't mean that they believed they were somehow above the law.

I don't think they should get a pass, but rather a fair chance. If the rejected ballot came back to them this last week there probably won't be enough time to resubmit. Please consider that these new rules and the complications are an additional burden on those voters who are the least capable of overcoming this.
shrug...

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Look. If people are unaware of the new law, that's their problem. I'm sure the new law was announced...all over the place. TV, radio, the internet.

As I keep saying, if they didn't know then they are either stupid or lazy.

They shouldn't come crying after it was themselves who screwed up.

What's going to be REALLY stupid is the same people won't fix their issues and, come November, they'll be crying all over again.

Too ****ing bad.

Mmmmm pecan pie....

My favorite.

Indeed, Padre Island is a beautiful sight to see. So is the hill country. East Texas Piney Woods....

I have caught many o' fish from the Laguna Madre, Port Isabel, Rockport and Port A.

I have swooned many a senioritas along the banks of the Rio Grand, (at Pepe's on the River down around McAllen..)

I do miss Texas. But I'm not so sure it's safe for this ol' Texas boy to be hanging out there these days. It's kinda gone bonkers.

WAIT! HOLD THE PRESSES!

I just thought of something really, really, cool that is all about Texas.

Whiskey Myers. They are from Texas. One of my favorite bands of all time. Then there's Stevie Ray Vaughan and ZZ Top.

Yeah, Texas music is cool. Love me some Whiskey Myers.

🙂 Excellent post ! Love ZZTop!

You DO realize the state has even admitted they cant figure out a way of helping some of these people comply as well, right? When those that impose a law dont have a way to assist those who woulf be legal under said law but for whatever changes were made, then the law is bullshit and needs to be fixed.

So let me get this straight.....the state has no record of the manner in which you originally registered to vote half a century ago, but also requires that you use that manner to make any changes, even though they can plainly see that you have voted using the same info for that same half a century, and rather than just make that your new information going forward, it makes more sense to you to basically usurp thier right to vote.

Brilliant.

Who made such a claim? Many of these people have legitimate concerns that they can neither find thier old information or switch to new information.

So it goes...

Again.....brilliant.

shrug...

Look. If people are unaware of the new law, that's their problem. I'm sure the new law was announced...all over the place. TV, radio, the internet.

What's going to be REALLY stupid is the same people won't fix their issues and, come November, they'll be crying all over again.

Too ****ing bad.

My concern is not that the same people have this problem in November, it's that a new wave of voters who didn't vote yet are going to run into the same situation at that time. Unless me and my side can get the word out to the public, I doubt the state will help us.

The problem that might seem easy to dismiss is that no one knew this was going to happen. It was not announced. there was no media coverage of this earlier, nor information from the state, no one realized this was going to happen until the ballot requests were already being rejected in early February. Those of us who read the newspapers figured that the requests had a hitch but surely, we thought, the actual ballots will be ok, but more than a third of voters found out that it was not.

We might be at the simple point where we simply disagree, I cannot accept that this many people are at fault. The legislature is.

I do not agree that they were stupid. I should repeat that they are mostly Republicans and trump supporters as we are talking about a deeply red state.

When you are elderly and you can't walk or drive, will you feel the same way? If you are ever disabled will this position still be true ; f'em ?

The point is that there are lot of people is thread who have NO idea what Texas voting requirements are but they are happy to defend this bullshit..
I say the same thing when i have to show my green pass to drive a truck.

shrug...

None of which solves the issue being discussed, which is people who have been voting in the same ****ing place for decades being unable to vote from that same place now.

Hell, here in CO, if you change your address anymore, they dont even send you an updated DL until the old one expires, unless you pay for the new one....which would be bullshit, since it would amount to a poll tax. The only place the change is made is in the system. Were they to implement that rule here, I would no longer be able to vote through no fault of my own, as the address I vote from doesnt match the one on the ID I provide to vote.

Some of them knew well in advance and even complained before the legislature made the change that this was a possible outcome of that change. Talk about being stupid and lazy.....when someone points out to you the glaring error of a decision and you go on with that decision anyway, its pretty hard to pass the blame off on someone else when the shit blows up in your face. In this case, you cant claim this is an unfortunate situation, because you were aware of the problem beforehand and did it anyway, changing from unfortunate to absolutely intentional.

If you are talking about legislators who made this move, you would be correct. That said, most of them arent crying because this is EXACTLY what they were hoping for in the first place....less people being allowed to vote.

Too ****ing bad.

You still havent provided the answer to the actual problem yet.....if you registered to vote 50 years ago with information neither you or the state can recall now, how do you rectify that problem? Its not like between now and November its miraculously going to come to light, so you are right, the same people are going to have the same problem.

Ill help you out though...the solution is for the government to honor the current information of ANYONE experiencing this issue that can prove they have used thier current information in the past to vote. Anyone else should be able to use thier current info to basically re-register and the law would take effect from that point going forward, with the STATE being responsible for keeping a record of all accepted forms of proof so that in the event they change accepted forms again down the road, citizens can give the form they used before to change info at a later date.

They wont do that though....because it would still keep voting numbers higher, and those who made that change know they do better when numbers are low.

Texas. You can always count on Texas delivering the stupid. Like the way they deliver that spineless freak Ted Cruz every 6 years.

Paperless electronic voting on touch screen machines does not provide confidence to ensure votes are counted the way voters intend.

The software on which votes are counted is protected as a corporate trade secret, and the software is so complex that if malicious code was embedded, no analysis could discover it. Further, because there is no voter verified paper record, it is not possible to audit the electronic vote for accuracy, nor is it possible to conduct an independent recount. This is a grotesquely designed, over-complicated, expensive system fraught with the potential for mistakes and undetected fraud. We should not trust the future of our nation to such malleable technology.

On July 23, 2003, the Johns Hopkins Information Security Institute reviewed the electronic voting system in Maryland and found that it had security far below even the most minimal security standards.

In the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy 2004, four top computer scientists from the University of California, Johns Hopkins University, and Rice University similarly critiqued Diebold’s voting system:

"We found significant security flaws: voters can trivially cast multiple ballots with no built-in traceability, administrative functions can be performed by regular voters, and the threats posed by insiders such as poll workers, software developers, and janitors is even greater. Based on our analysis of the development environment, including change logs and comments, we believe that an appropriate level of programming discipline for a project such as this was not maintained. In fact, there appears to have been little quality control in the process.

"…The model where individual vendors write proprietary code to run our elections appears to be unreliable, and if we do not change the process of designing our voting systems, we will have no confidence that our election results will reflect the will of the electorate."

Computers are inherently subject to programming error, equipment malfunction, and malicious tampering. If we are to ensure fair and honest elections, and retain voter confidence in our democratic process, we need to ensure that there are no such questions.

Back
Top Bottom