• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So, now we know - it was Paul Ryan

Who knows? Refugees? Ryan? Could be anything.

Sure sounds like an emergency to me...
Run for President - then your opinion will count.

I would imagine voting makes all our opinions count, yours and mine.
Well, not exactly - voting chooses the people whose opinions run the country, e.g. the represent us (theoretically)

Numerous comments on DP have asked why the GOP didn't seek border wall funding when they had full control of congress. Turns out Trump wanted it in the 2017 Omnibus Spending Bill but Speaker Paul Ryan talked him out of it in favor of increased military spend and promised Trump he'd get the funding through by other means. Of course as soon as he announced he was retiring he had no power to actually do it. Source
Trump is blaming his incompetance on someone else? Im shocked. Shocked I tells ya.

Trump had two years and never made a big push for wall funding. Not until dems took the house. It is noones fault but his. He ran on it and dropped it cause he was too busy sucking putins dick and golfing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Trump is blaming his incompetance on someone else? Im shocked. Shocked I tells ya.

Trump had two years and never made a big push for wall funding. Not until dems took the house. It is noones fault but his. He ran on it and dropped it cause he was too busy sucking putins dick and golfing.

Do you ever apply your intelligence and common sense or always reply on mindless Trumpophobia. Rhetorical question, the answer is obvious.

Numerous comments on DP have asked why the GOP didn't seek border wall funding when they had full control of congress. Turns out Trump wanted it in the 2017 Omnibus Spending Bill but Speaker Paul Ryan talked him out of it in favor of increased military spend and promised Trump he'd get the funding through by other means. Of course as soon as he announced he was retiring he had no power to actually do it. Source

First of all, of course Trump doesn't take responsibility for anything. It's just a question of who he's going to blame for his failures. His own WH budget request for fiscal 2019 didn't request but $1.6B for wall funding (65 miles), and what he shut down government over wasn't officially requested at all until AFTER the shut down, before that he just pulled a number from his fat rear end, which I'm sure he's already blamed on someone else.

But the hilarious thing is what kind of incompetent President can't get a very high priority ask of only $6B through a friendly House of Represenatives? He's just admitting he and his administration are a train wreck, powerless without Ryan holding their hand. Of course it helps when you're dealing with Congress to let them know before December, months AFTER the FY starts, how much you want. Trump told Congress $1.6B, and blames Ryan for not giving him at least $7B. Does this not strike even you Trump supporters as kind of pathetic?

First of all, of course Trump doesn't take responsibility for anything. It's just a question of who he's going to blame for his failures. His own WH budget request for fiscal 2019 didn't request but $1.6B for wall funding (65 miles), and what he shut down government over wasn't officially requested at all until AFTER the shut down, before that he just pulled a number from his fat rear end, which I'm sure he's already blamed on someone else.

But the hilarious thing is what kind of incompetent President can't get a very high priority ask of only $6B through a friendly House of Represenatives? He's just admitting he and his administration are a train wreck, powerless without Ryan holding their hand. Of course it helps when you're dealing with Congress to let them know before December, months AFTER the FY starts, how much you want. Trump told Congress $1.6B, and blames Ryan for not giving him at least $7B. Does this not strike even you Trump supporters as kind of pathetic?
Yadda, yadda "Trump!:twisted:", yadda, yadda. :roll:

They had a majority. They did not have the full Congress.

Look, if they had the full Congress, Obamacare would be toast...regardless what McCain did. If they had the full Congress, Trump would have money for his wall.

That stuff didn't happen because neither Trump nor the GOP "had the full Congress for the last two years".

Trump is blaming Ryan, Speaker of the HOUSE, and there they didn't need a single Democratic vote. If he can't get his own party, in the House, to fund a measly $6B for his stupid wall, that's a failure from the top, POTUS. The failure started with only asking Congress for $1.6B, then changing his mind about that in December, months AFTER the new year began.

Yadda, yadda "Trump!:twisted:", yadda, yadda. :roll:

So, if Trump asks for $1.6 billion, how is it Ryan's fault the House didn't give him $6 billion?

Whose fault is it the official request for $7 billion didn't get sent to Congress until AFTER Trump shut down government, demanding $6 billion?

So, if Trump asks for $1.6 billion, how is it Ryan's fault the House didn't give him $6 billion?

Whose fault is it the official request for $7 billion didn't get sent to Congress until AFTER Trump shut down government, demanding $6 billion?
LOL, you're talking jabberwocky.

Well as you know, I am no Paul Ryan fan.
Good riddance to bad rubbish. WI. can have his self-serving ass back.

We don't want him. He has his fans in little corner he's from but most of us would like him to get the only real job be ever had, driving the Oscar Meyer weaner mobile and head south...

I pretty much agree with your comments. You know term limits would eliminate much of this behavior. The people you elect would be more interested in getting done what they promised their constituents than becoming spineless to insure their coffers get filled by special interest groups for their next election.

I believe Trump advocated term limits for Congress during the campaign, of course not a peep on the matter since Nov 2016. So much for swamp draining.

I pretty much agree with your comments. You know term limits would eliminate much of this behavior. The people you elect would be more interested in getting done what they promised their constituents than becoming spineless to insure their coffers get filled by special interest groups for their next election.

100% agree

The Senate is virtually an aristocracy. Two terms for the Senate, and three for the House.

LOL, you're talking jabberwocky.

Not sure what that means, but I'm talking facts, what happened. You can call it what you want I guess, but it won't change what happened.

Here's his budget request for FY 2019: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/budget-fy2019.pdf

See page #57 in the document (page 61 of the pdf), titled DHS highlights:

Critical investments include $1.6 billion for construction of the border wall

Page #58:

the Budget requests $1.6 billion to construct approximately 65 miles of border wall in south Texas.

Story dated January 7, 2019, over two weeks AFTER the government shut down: https://www.rollcall.com/news/whitehouse/white-house-details-7-billion-border-funding-boost

The White House formally asked lawmakers Sunday to provide an additional $7 billion beyond what Senate appropriators proposed in their bipartisan Homeland Security spending bill last year, with more than half earmarked for a “steel barrier” along the southwest border.

Not sure what to say - Trump's WH is a train wreck and he's blaming Ryan for his own failures.

Not sure what that means, but I'm talking facts, what happened. You can call it what you want I guess, but it won't change what happened.

Here's his budget request for FY 2019: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/budget-fy2019.pdf

Page #58:

Story dated January 7, 2019, over two weeks AFTER the government shut down: https://www.rollcall.com/news/whitehouse/white-house-details-7-billion-border-funding-boost

Not sure what to say - Trump's WH is a train wreck and he's blaming Ryan for his own failures.

I think you are being too nice about this.

Here is the harsh truth: Trump’s failed to lead his party and put no effort toward achieving his goal.

The Republican Party failed because they didn’t have anyone leading them from the White House.

Page #58:

65 miles in S. Texas? In a document submitted early in 2018? Yaaaawwwwnnnnn.

sigh...

I'll ask you a question that might lead you to use your own thinking ability:

What did Schumer say to Trump the day Trump pissed off Chuck and Nancy? You know...when they came to the WH and found a crowd of media cameras watching while they talked to the President? What did Schumer say about wall money passing the Senate?

After you go look that up, think about whether Trump "had the full Congress for the last two years".

Oh I see, you imagine if he had the full Congress (and not just the Senate and House, as he in reality did) that ALL of those representatives would fall in line and vote 100% for his idiotic policy?

The fact is that with a Republican House and a Republican Senate Trump did not build his wall.

Although it was futile, I contributed to Paul Ryan's Republican primary opponent in his last election.

Trump is blaming Ryan, Speaker of the HOUSE, and there they didn't need a single Democratic vote. If he can't get his own party, in the House, to fund a measly $6B for his stupid wall, that's a failure from the top, POTUS. The failure started with only asking Congress for $1.6B, then changing his mind about that in December, months AFTER the new year began.

imageedit_4_7589451491.jpg

65 miles in S. Texas? In a document submitted early in 2018? Yaaaawwwwnnnnn.

Well, yes, that's what he requested, what he told Congress he wanted. I know it's almost breathtakingly incompetent. He'd been promising everyone the Great Wall of Trump since 2015, and in 2018 he only asked for 65 miles.

What I can't figure out is why some people actually buy Trump's BS "The buck doesn't stop in THIS desk" excuse.

Oh I see, you imagine if he had the full Congress (and not just the Senate and House, as he in reality did) that ALL of those representatives would fall in line and vote 100% for his idiotic policy?

The fact is that with a Republican House and a Republican Senate Trump did not build his wall.

So...you don't know the answer to my question, do you?

Moving on...

Technically it would only be a failure if he tried. But the truth is he didn't. Trump didn't care enough to pursue his wall for two whole years. He barely cares now. It was an empty promise - worse, a campaign gimmick. He'd be a loser if he'd tried. As it stands he's justice a quitter. Whatta sap.

Great Post! Your insightful diagnosis stuns me. What an amazing intellect.

PS: a one-seat majority in the Senate is hardly a "lock". But you knew that, right?

Majority in the Senate, majority in the House, Republican in the White House, yeah, there was a "lock".

All Ryan and Mitchell needed do in that two year window was craft a Bill with Fat Donald's "big beautiful wall" money that would have also been acceptable to enough Democrats.

It is called doing the people's work!

They had no reason to fail.

Fat Donald was lazy on getting his funding.

Paul Ryan was lazy on getting his funding.

Mitch McConnell was lazy on getting his funding.

Do you ever apply your intelligence and common sense or always reply on mindless Trumpophobia. Rhetorical question, the answer is obvious.
You attack me rather than address the points i made. You didnt even address one point. Are you under the impression that attacking me makes you right?

All Ryan and Mitchell needed do in that two year window was craft a Bill with Fat Donald's "big beautiful wall" money that would have also been acceptable to enough Democrats.

Actually they could have used reconciliation as they did with the tax cuts and passed it with 51 votes in senate. They didnt need a single dem vote. Not a single one. For two years. And Donald screwed that up.

Back
Top Bottom