• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So, now we know - it was Paul Ryan

I have personally struggled with the concept of term limits. We see the utter idiocy of some of the newcomers to Washington who have no clue of economics or history or any realistic kind of sense of cause and effect, let alone any real knowledge or expertise in identifying enemies of the USA both within and from the outside. There is a wealth of real solid expertise and knowledge currently in Congress and I don't know whether it is advisable to replace that with the know nothings. We could be electing a lot of incompetents who would be at the mercy of professional faceless bureaucrats who are elected by nobody and accountable to nobody.

If we could find a way to put a process in place to reduce or eliminate the ability of those elected to enrich themselves at our expense, perhaps only the truly committed public servants would choose to make a sort of career of Congress or at least would stick around long enough to mentor the know nothings coming in. But fat chance on getting them to agree to that system which would have to include:

1. They fund their 401K just like everybody else does and no tax dollars would ever be allowed for their retirement during or after their service. If it means increasing salaries because of the high cost of being in Washington DC, so be it.

2. They fund their own healthcare buying insurance on the open market just like the rest of us do.

3. They personally are subject to every regulation and law they pass. No exemptions.

4. Nobody in Congress would be able to take any kind of lobbyist job for 5, maybe 10 years after leaving Congress.

5. Congress will pass no law that benefits any person, group, demographic, etc. that does not benefit all. Humanitarian exception can be made when the government needs to intervene in a specific case; i.e. a congressional resolution to correct a specific injustice done to some individual, but the details and limitations on that could be worked out.

6. All federal courts will restrict their rulings to the existing law and Constitution. The court can rule a law is unconstitutional or incompatible with other existing laws with their reasons for the ruling, but it is up to the legislative body that passed it to then change the law. An unelected, unaccountable judge would not be allowed to make any law, negate any law, make any changes in any law. The issue would be clearly publicized, along with arguments as to why a court was likely wrong, so we the people could hold those we elected accountable to follow the Constitution. Congress or any other legislative body would not be able to use the federal courts to absolve them of their responsibility.

7. If members of Congress want to redecorate/refurbish/buy new stuff for their offices, they will need to pay for it out of pocket or raise the funds to do it. Otherwise they can make do with inexpensive and very austere basic government issue or choose something out of the acres of discarded furniture, etc. (We have acres and acres of warehouses filled with discarded perfectly good furniture, equipment, and decor as each new member of Congress buys all new stuff at taxpayer expense and does it again at intervals.)

8. Other than the basic operating expenses of the various departments of government (heat, light, phones, computers, etc.), the Congress will not bundle together bills for projects and various funding of services but will vote straight up or down ON THE RECORD each item they pass that costs the taxpayers money. And there will be no more provision for changing a vote after it is recorded as there is now, and they wont be able to 'revise and extend' their official remarks before the Senate or House as they can now.

There is no way in hell the Congress would pass those recommendations. But if they did, we would again be electing true public servants to high office who would serve for a time and then return home to live under the laws they pass as the Founders intended. Paul Ryan would likely have been a magnificent leader.

Instead we have a permanent political class, professional politicians who achieve high office, usually as middle class, and then leave it multi-millionaires many times over. Why else would they spend millions to get a job that pays less than $200k? They long ago stopped representing we the people. The only difference between them are the people they represent and they throw their respective constituencies just enough bones to keep them voting 'correctly' and spend most of their time benefiting themselves.

Greetings, AlbqOwl. :2wave:

Very well said indeed! :applaud The universe does not make mistakes, but humans do, and although our Founders gave us guidelines for laws that would be fair to everyone, there will always be those who expect special treatment. The first three points in your post address those, so why was it allowed to remain "legally allowable?"

It's also fun seeing Trump rear end kissing in real life. Trump says it's Ryan's fault, and the followers say, "Of course it is, Dear Leader is never wrong! RYAN YOU SUCK!"

The level of your TDS is off the charts. Seek help, it's covered by ACA.

We knew that this was partially the problem. Though I must admit it was pretty shocking to see him go with so much in the works.

Many of us are just hoping the democrats are going to get this stick out of their rears pretty soon and try to work with the rest of congress.
I think you're going to be disappointed. Dems are only interested in getting Trump, who had the audacity to challenge and beat their presumptive Queen. Revenge and destruction are their only motivations, not the national good or making life better for the nation.

I think you're going to be disappointed. Dems are only interested in getting Trump, who had the audacity to challenge and beat their presumptive Queen. Revenge and destruction are their only motivations, not the national good or making life better for the nation.
Actually no....they are after not just bringing down Trump but also hurting Trump and everyone who did not condemn him at the proper time, reeducating all those who voted for him, and gaining the power in 2020 to run over all who dont agree with them as they make great stride to deliver the promise of UTOPIA.

Numerous comments on DP have asked why the GOP didn't seek border wall funding when they had full control of Congress. Turns out Trump wanted it in the 2017 Omnibus Spending Bill but Speaker Paul Ryan talked him out of it

So what's your point? Trump's a clueless moron? Is that what you're trying to say? I mean Paul Ryan is dumb as **** so if he can outsmart you...

Actually no....they are after not just bringing down Trump but also hurting Trump and everyone who did not condemn him at the proper time, reeducating all those who voted for him, and gaining the power in 2020 to run over all who dont agree with them as they make great stride to deliver the promise of UTOPIA.

A UTOPIA that won't ever be delivered, but as long as Congress can continue to increase its own power, influence, and personal wealth, they'll keep telling us they will get it done so that we keep voting them in. Paul Ryan was as good a guy as any of them, but he too was pretty much part of the permanent political class unwilling to put himself out there to lead on really hot button controversial issues. He is by no means unusual in that regard. I won't judge him as to his stated motive to leave congress to spend more time with his family because that may be true. But seeing the handwriting on the wall that the feckless Republicans would lose their majority in the House and he would no longer be Speaker probably factored into that. He and the Republicans have not served the President well.

A UTOPIA that won't ever be delivered, but as long as Congress can continue to increase its own power, influence, and personal wealth, they'll keep telling us they will get it done so that we keep voting them in. Paul Ryan was as good a guy as any of them, but he too was pretty much part of the permanent political class unwilling to put himself out there to lead on really hot button controversial issues. He is by no means unusual in that regard. I won't judge him as to his stated motive to leave congress to spend more time with his family because that may be true. But seeing the handwriting on the wall that the feckless Republicans would lose their majority in the House and he would no longer be Speaker probably factored into that. He and the Republicans have not served the President well.

UTOPIA is the place that can never be, when I say such things as "When we get to UTOPIA" I am speaking tongue in cheek.

Paul Ryan is a con artist and a liar, the fact that he was drafted as Speaker and even worse "He is the only one who can do the job" informs us on how low quality Congress has become. The quality has been dropping for 50-60 years.

Last edited:
UTOPIA is the place that can never be, when I say such things as "When we get to UTOPIA" I am speaking tongue in cheek.

Paul Ryan is a con artist and a liar, the fact that he was drafted as Speaker and even worse "He is the only one who can do the job" informs us on how low quality Congress has become. The quality has been dropping for 50-60 years.

I agree that the U.S. Congress has definitely deteriorated over recent decades, I don't think Paul Ryan is any more liar or con artist than most others and he is not as much as some. But Permanent Political Class he was and is meaning that the interests of those in government were put at the front of the line before any consideration is given to what is good for America and Americans.

I agree that the U.S. Congress has definitely deteriorated over recent decades, I don't think Paul Ryan is any more liar or con artist than most others and he is not as much as some. But Permanent Political Class he was and is meaning that the interests of those in government were put at the front of the line before any consideration is given to what is good for America and Americans.
In response Ryan would certainly remind you that he always spent as little time in Washington as possible, and I remind you that his refusal to invest in relationships in Washington greatly contributed to his lack of accomplishment....which are problems for you theory, though certainly with as corrupt as Washington is Ryan is individually extremely corrupt.

So what's your point? Trump's a clueless moron? Is that what you're trying to say? I mean Paul Ryan is dumb as **** so if he can outsmart you...
LOL, Nope. I'm just surprised how many on the left either don't know or forget how Washington actually works. The President doesn't control Congress and can't force them to do anythiing, even if they're the same party nor are the leaders of the Senate or House paragons of intestinal fortitude or ideological purity. In no small measure we ended up with Trump because McConnell, Boehner and Ryan talked big time reform and controlling Obama's far left tendencies prior to elections and turned into lap dogs after.

In response Ryan would certainly remind you that he always spent as little time in Washington as possible, and I remind you that his refusal to invest in relationships in Washington greatly contributed to his lack of accomplishment....which are problems for you theory, though certainly with as corrupt as Washington is Ryan is individually extremely corrupt.

It is relationships and ability to lead and mostly the ability to raise money that earns somebody the privilege of Speaker of the House. And as all things are relative, it is important to always be aware that should the President and Vice President be unable to serve, the Speaker of the House is third in line to become Chief Executive of the United States. Now seriously. If you had to choose between Ryan and Pelosi to be President, which one would you rather see there?

It is relationships and ability to lead and mostly the ability to raise money that earns somebody the privilege of Speaker of the House. And as all things are relative, it is important to always be aware that should the President and Vice President be unable to serve, the Speaker of the House is third in line to become Chief Executive of the United States. Now seriously. If you had to choose between Ryan and Pelosi to be President, which one would you rather see there?
As evidenced by "The Clintons can still raise a lot of money, we can't kick them to the curb!".

In a word: Corruption.

I am with you...

"Inside Trump’s circle, the power of illegal immigration to manipulate popular sentiment was readily apparent, and his advisers brainstormed methods for keeping their attention-addled boss on message. They needed a trick, a mnemonic device. In the summer of 2014, they found one that clicked. “Roger Stone and I came up with the idea of ‘the Wall,’ and we talked to Steve [Bannon] about it,” said Nunberg. “It was to make sure he talked about immigration.”..Bloomberg News
[FONT=PublicoText-Roman-Web, Georgia, Cambria, Times New Roman, Times, serif]The wall was not Trumps idea. He knows nothing and has no ideas of his own. The reality is that its a waste of money better spent on a variety of measures to secure the border and many points of entry. A P.O.T.U.S.'s #1 job requirement is the ability to persuade. Trump is a weak, weak, chaotic President who cannot even persuade members of his own party.[/FONT]

As evidenced by "The Clintons can still raise a lot of money, we can't kick them to the curb!".

In a word: Corruption.

I am with you...

I am not saying it is all corrupt though I would be surprised if there isn't quite a bit of pay to play and/or inappropriate arm twisting regardless of who is involved.

My point is that Ryan is a likable, personable guy who definitely has developed relationships enough to have significant connections or he never would have been solicited to be Speaker. And I honestly think he isn't less principled than most, which isn't much of a commendation. :)

"Inside Trump’s circle, the power of illegal immigration to manipulate popular sentiment was readily apparent, and his advisers brainstormed methods for keeping their attention-addled boss on message. They needed a trick, a mnemonic device. In the summer of 2014, they found one that clicked. “Roger Stone and I came up with the idea of ‘the Wall,’ and we talked to Steve [Bannon] about it,” said Nunberg. “It was to make sure he talked about immigration.”..Bloomberg News
[FONT=PublicoText-Roman-Web, Georgia, Cambria, Times New Roman, Times, serif]The wall was not Trumps idea. He knows nothing and has no ideas of his own. The reality is that its a waste of money better spent on a variety of measures to secure the border and many points of entry. A P.O.T.U.S.'s #1 job requirement is the ability to persuade. Trump is a weak, weak, chaotic President who cannot even persuade members of his own party.[/FONT]

Did anyone ever claim building a wall was Trump's original idea? There have been stretches of walls along the border for years. Your mindless blather about Trump doesn't add much to your argument.

Did anyone ever claim building a wall was Trump's original idea? There have been stretches of walls along the border for years. Your mindless blather about Trump doesn't add much to your argument.

So apparently Trump has been successful convincing you and the rest of his loyal base over the usefulness of this propaganda tool. Border security has been and continues to be improved with the support of Dems- its just not all about walls. Trump routinely makes deals and then changes his mind because he has no leadership qualities. Members of his own party ignore or work around him. You really failed to notice this?!

So DJT's complete ability to lead on any and all issues is due to all these other people. Not his personal failings. Really. That is exactly the opposite of how it works in real life. He was to be the great negotiator. The *************.
Kiss my ass. He is none of the above. He is a pretentious little bully who has managed to get enough of what he wanted to get by and to beat down those who didn't have his resources.
F*** him, F*** those who back him, and F*** those who think we is anything other than a mediocre excuse of a president. I can hear him in the background now and will go listen. When it is over, I will update this post.

As of now, there are two Dems who have even a marginal chance to win the election and one is Kamala Harris. Though with the way that the party has been eating it's own for about four to six months now, I'll be surprised to see if she still has a platform by April.

I miss the democrats. Though I know now that the party that I grew up with was a pretty elaborate lie and this current monster isn't going to do itself any favors.

Nah, it was Trump. It was always Trump. Never cared about the wall. Never really planned to do it. Just a sound bite during the campaign and a distraction in times of scandal.

The Wall [RIP] was never going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom