• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Slingshot Ride

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I saw this in person last Xmas and it's absolutely terrifying. You get launched well over 100 ft in the air by a huge slingshot.

I would at a minimum hurl, pass out and lose bowel control, and possibly have a cardiac arrest. NOT FOR ME!

Awesome.

The first biggest drop was always my favorite part of a roller coaster...except for the one that literally just dropped you straight down. That was boring. Stand in line for however long and you get a five second ride.

Apparently adding an errant seagull doesn't make the ride any better!

I love stuff like that. My dad and I spent an entire day in Vegas, he was in his 60s, 40s for me, doing every extreme ride, including a tandem bungee jump.

My mom, with a bad shoulder, mostly watched. So each time we'd get in line for a ride, we'd empty our pockets of change, hand her sunglasses, my purse, etc and go.

We had a blast and the pics showed us having a great time. By the end, down at the Stratosphere where it blasts you straight up...it showed us laughing and the 2 strangers next to us terrified out of their minds. It didnt even faze us by that point, lol.

By the end, my mom said she was just there waiting to identify our remains. 😄

Last edited:
They no longer have this ride at our Lakeside Amusement Park, but I found a picture from another place.

This is my idea of a roller coaster: It did at least give you that 'losing your stomach' feeling. I much prefer spinning rides, but as long as I feel securely locked in I can handle a roller coaster. Its just those old ones where they only had a lap belt and a bar that I can't stand because you come off the seat a few inches.

1627072579100.png

Awesome.

The first biggest drop was always my favorite part of a roller coaster...except for the one that literally just dropped you straight down. That was boring. Stand in line for however long and you get a five second ride.
I rode every coaster at Cedar Point in the summer of 2010 when I was last there with my daughter I was kind of disappointed. Top Thill was OK but it was over too fast. Millennium Force was fun after dark. The coaster that is now named Rougarou is a puke machine because of the 3D G-forces. You're fine as long as you can keep an eye on the horizon.

I would do that in a heartbeat!

I rode every coaster at Cedar Point in the summer of 2010 when I was last there with my daughter I was kind of disappointed. Top Thill was OK but it was over too fast. Millennium Force was fun after dark. The coaster that is now named Rougarou is a puke machine because of the 3D G-forces. You're fine as long as you can keep an eye on the horizon.

Spend a good chunk of my youth in a lower middle class suburb-like area close to Cincinnati, reasonably close to King's Island.

The Vortex and The Beast were my favorite. The Vortex because it had the best drops. The beast, because it was an old coaster with a wooden frame. Very well designed, but something about the fact that it was wood caused feelings of uneasiness, even if they shouldn't have.

They later built one that was entirely indoors, in a barely-lit room. No horizon to keep your eye on, and the thing ran so fast. It wasn't all that much fun. Not because it was 'too scary' or even a puke machine, but because it was all these really fast tight turns. Your head is slamming around the place. It's more like getting picked up by a giant and shaken than a ride.

For now, I'm not sure I want to deal with the lines. 30-120m for some of them, depending on day/time. I'm sure I'll deal with it when kiddo is old enough to want to go....

My absolute favorite day was after a tragedy had occurred. A woman's harness didn't lock properly on The Vortex and she died. My friend and I went shortly after re-opening. Nobody in line. Half-full cars on each ride. So we rode it for several hours, until we absolutely had to eat something.

🤷

Spend a good chunk of my youth in a lower middle class suburb-like area close to Cincinnati, reasonably close to King's Island.

The Vortex and The Beast were my favorite. The Vortex because it had the best drops. The beast, because it was an old coaster with a wooden frame. Very well designed, but something about the fact that it was wood caused feelings of uneasiness, even if they shouldn't have.

They later built one that was entirely indoors, in a barely-lit room. No horizon to keep your eye on, and the thing ran so fast. It wasn't all that much fun. Not because it was 'too scary' or even a puke machine, but because it was all these really fast tight turns. Your head is slamming around the place. It's more like getting picked up by a giant and shaken than a ride.

For now, I'm not sure I want to deal with the lines. 30-120m for some of them, depending on day/time. I'm sure I'll deal with it when kiddo is old enough to want to go....

My absolute favorite day was after a tragedy had occurred. A woman's harness didn't lock properly on The Vortex and she died. My friend and I went shortly after re-opening. Nobody in line. Half-full cars on each ride. So we rode it for several hours, until we absolutely had to eat something.

🤷
It rained for an hour or so the evening that we went. Just after it stopped raining they opened the coasters and nobody wanted to ride, so they were empty. The nightly fireworks were happening when we rode Millenium Force which added a new level of thrill because we could not get a good fix on where the horizon was after dark and the fireworks going off around us made it fun.

I was hoping that we would get to roll back from the apex of the hill on Top Thrill but it didn't happen. It was almost a 90-minute wait for that ride.

Last edited:

🤷
Wow, sad but fortuitous.

We used to do that on Space Mountain in FL. My cousins lived there so we could go at off-times.

We rode that over and over, both tracks. And they're not exactly the same. One was better but damn I cant remember which one. I'm leaning towards Alpha.

We also rode during some kind of maint when all the lights were on, which was interesting. But in the dark is much better.

I love stuff like that. My dad and I spent an entire day in Vegas, he was in his 60s, 40s for me, doing every extreme ride, including a tandem bungee jump.

My mom, with a bad shoulder, mostly watched. So each time we'd get in line for a ride, we'd empty our pockets of change, hand her sunglasses, my purse, etc and go.

We had a blast and the pics showed us having a great time. By the end, down at the Stratosphere where it blasts you straight up...it showed us laughing and the 2 strangers next to us terrified out of their minds. It didnt even faze us by that point, lol.

By the end, my mom said she was just there waiting to identify our remains. 😄
Those pics they take of you are so telling.

There is one of us with me crunching down in my seat while my young son and his buddy in the seats behind us are all smiles with arms stretched up over their hands.

I can ride a motorcycle at 120 mph but on a rollercoaster I become a 7 yr old girl.

Back
Top Bottom